Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

DRUNK HISTORY SEASON 4 PREMIERES TONIGHT, TUESDAY SEPTEMBER 27th AT 10:30 PM EST

http://www.cc.com/shows/drunk-history posted:

Based on the popular web series, Drunk History is the liquored-up narration of our nation's history. Host Derek Waters, along with an ever-changing cast of actors and comedians, travels across the country to present the rich tales that every city in this land has to offer. Booze helps bring out the truth. It's just that sometimes the truth is a little incoherent.

SUMMARY

In case you're reading this thread and you're not familiar with Drunk History, here's what you need to know. Our host, Derek Waters, goes to the house of some sort of comedian or writer and plies them with liquor (or beer or wine, whatever's going to go down easiest). Throughout the course of the night, he asks them to recount a story, in their own words, from American History that they've researched previously. They film it, and drinking continues until the storyteller can no longer stand.

They then edit the various retellings together into one cohesive story, typically using the drunkest take each time they can get away with it. (I feel it's important to mention that they do make a concerted effort to make sure the final product is as historically accurate as possible, making the show somewhat educational!) They then have actors portray the actions and dialogue being recounted by the storyteller, using both a pool of talented house actors combined with a very impressive list of guest actors. Seriously, check out the IMDB page for a full list of actors who have appeared on Drunk History.

Links:

Drunk History official Comedy Central Page - Watch every episode from Season 3, plus some cool behind the scenes features
Season 1 archived thread
Season 2 archived thread
Season 3 archived thread
Drunk History Facebook page - has some more clips of the upcoming season
AV Club article Parts One and Two - some really interesting insight into the process of filming Drunk History, including detailed notes from Derek Waters and Jeremy Konner on each episode in Season 1

And oh yeah, by the way, LIN-MANUEL MIRANDA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Who drinks, who dies, who slurs the story

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Nice use of Ron Funches.

Edit: I decide whether it's a cake or a pie

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Sep 28, 2016

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Young Buster Keaton falling down the stairs was unexpectedly funny, and the scene with the DW guy going on about the KKK had me in stitches. Billie Joe Armstrong was really good...at first I almost thought it was Aaron Paul under all that makeup!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Child Keaton falling down the stairs was like a dummy being pulled with a rope and that made it 10 times funnier.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, I laughed really hard at "We've got to stop hanging out with DW!"

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Tony Hale was a great pick for Keaton.

Can't believe someone actually jumped off Niagra Falls. Have many people done it since?

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Tony Hale is the #1 most typecast Buster in the biz

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Here's to you, Carry A. Nation. The original Smash Mouth."

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Gonz posted:

"Here's to you, Carry A. Nation. The original Smash Mouth."

To absolutely nobody's surprise, Vanessa Bayer is a loving natural at Drunk History acting. She had me in stitches multiple times

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I am extremely angry at all the rad Americans I never learned about in school because they were the wrong skin color. :argh:

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Klaus88 posted:

I am extremely angry at all the rad Americans I never learned about in school because they were the wrong skin color. :argh:

Let me tell you about a guy named Bass Reeves.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Paget Brewster killed it tonight.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Gonz posted:

She is the Queen of Drunk History.

"Coyotes!"

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

Gonz posted:

Having her and Katie Nolan on the same show was overkill.

Lyudmila Ilovejenga

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Perfect casting on that second segment- Kat Dennings and Ronda Rousey make a good duo. Hillary Anne Matthews is a great narrator too.

"Big Ben, is like, a clock..."

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Maxwell Lord posted:

Perfect casting on that second segment- Kat Dennings and Ronda Rousey make a good duo. Hillary Anne Matthews is a great narrator too.

"Big Ben, is like, a clock..."

Yeah, Kat Dennings coupled with Hillary Anne Matthews delivery was great.

This season has been a bit of a downtick in my opinion. It's still one of my favorite shows hands down and it's still appointment viewing, but I think either one of two things is happening, maybe both. One, I think they've become a bit too self aware. In the beginning, the narrators seemed more like themselves, whereas now it sometimes feels like Derek Waters is coaching them to say certain things in a certain way. Maybe I've just become more aware of it, but that's how it feels. The other thing that seems to be happening is that the framing of the stories is weaker. For instance, the episode with the guy that invented LSD and escaped prison. There honestly wasn't much of a story there! He got arrested, he escaped prison, he got picked back up again shortly thereafter. And in the Sadie the Goat, not much really happened there either. It's like there's no point or moral or anything, which in the past they've usually been great with.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Holy poo poo I love love love the guy who went off on that ape man tangent when he was telling the Lincoln story. He was in the last episode too. Such a weird whiny voice.

timp posted:

This season has been a bit of a downtick in my opinion. It's still one of my favorite shows hands down and it's still appointment viewing, but I think either one of two things is happening, maybe both. One, I think they've become a bit too self aware. In the beginning, the narrators seemed more like themselves, whereas now it sometimes feels like Derek Waters is coaching them to say certain things in a certain way. Maybe I've just become more aware of it, but that's how it feels. The other thing that seems to be happening is that the framing of the stories is weaker. For instance, the episode with the guy that invented LSD and escaped prison. There honestly wasn't much of a story there! He got arrested, he escaped prison, he got picked back up again shortly thereafter. And in the Sadie the Goat, not much really happened there either. It's like there's no point or moral or anything, which in the past they've usually been great with.

Least season bummed me out every time it cut to Derek. He was just sitting there like an alcoholic statue, not interacting with anybody, clearly not having fun. It was kind of miserable unless the woman was attractive then he'd at least reply to them. He seems to be having more fun and smiling this time around, I wonder if it's because he got forced to hear stories from people he doesn't really know, and this time around he just hired his friends again.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 27, 2016

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rich Fulcher is a national treasure. I highly recommend the show he did with Matt Berry, Snuff Box. They were given a budget and told to make six episodes with no oversight because the BBC just needed something to fill a time slot.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Ape man is rich fulcher who rules and is the funniest part of the mighty boosh

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I've never seen Rich Fulcher and Dave Hill in the same room at the same time.

#AskQuestions

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

spooky like this! posted:

Rich Fulcher is a national treasure. I highly recommend the show he did with Matt Berry, Snuff Box. They were given a budget and told to make six episodes with no oversight because the BBC just needed something to fill a time slot.

Is that the one about the undertakers?

spooky like this! posted:

Kind of, they're hangmen.

Yeah I think I watched the first episode on Netflix, gonna have to rewatch it now that I'm aware of Rich Fulcher

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 27, 2016

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of, they're hangmen.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I'm enjoying the new season but don't feel it's up to par with the first two. Still really, really good though. Better than season 3, too. On that note, every time I watch the Hawaii episode, I always die laughing at: "There's a loving arm next to me and there's a hand grenade in that motherfucker. He says, *pause* "Jesus H. Christ, I better throw this grenade." The Daniel Inouye sketch is probably my favorite out of all of them.

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Nov 4, 2016

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I lost it at "The Cubdoop de Crill Leptoo".

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Was the Globe Theater sketch the first one that took place outiside of the Americas and didn't involve an American?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I'm enjoying the new season but don't feel it's up to par with the first two. Still really, really good though. Better than season 3, too. On that note, every time I watch the Hawaii episode, I always die laughing at: "There's a loving arm next to me and there's a hand grenade in that motherfucker. He says, *pause* "Jesus H. Christ, I better throw this grenade." The Daniel Inouye sketch is probably my favorite out of all of them.

This is also my favorite. I have watched it some number of times and still laugh myself sick at the "This guy with the loving arm!" line.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Tall glass of almond milk if you are vegan

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
That story about Julia Childs was interesting as hell

e: also I had heard about the molasses flood before but after hearing the details, drat does it belong in the This Is A Thing That Actually Happened thread

timp fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 23, 2016

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Tall glass of almond milk if you are vegan

Or Soy milk if you are vegetarian.

Or goat milk if you hate cows

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I do dislike that final commercial break. It always throws off the pacing.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
When is Lin-Manuel supposed to appear on the show?

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

When is Lin-Manuel supposed to appear on the show?

The 29th.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
This episode was great. I love female narrators.

Agree, that Molasses thing seems like something out a fairy tale. What the gently caress :stare:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Catching up with this and I'm cackling to see Kyle Kinane continue his jihad against boom mikes. A running theme between seasons.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Questlove!

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
That was a nice change of pace with just one story. Sometimes the stories just feel a bit too rushed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

neckbeard posted:

That was a nice change of pace with just one story. Sometimes the stories just feel a bit too rushed

Agreed, but it still needed more time. A one hour special that went off on some tangents would have been great.

• Locked thread