Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?
Danielle Durant

Weird doesn't begin to describe the statue in front of us, but it doesn't seem as if we have reason to care about it for now. Presumably, it would become relevant once we gathered all the Seeds we needed and wanted to transfer them to Poe's boss, but we were quite far from accomplishing that. As such, our two real options seemed to be the other entrance near the foundation of the tower, and the portal.

"Thoughts, everyone? I am curious where the portal leads, personally; ideally, back to our world."

quote:

Resolve: 18/18
Overcharge: Magic (6), Heart (1)
Conviction: 0/2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Robert Cooper

"The portal is most likely the path back. Would have been nice of Poe to give us that bit of information though. I suppose we didn't ask for it." Robert said, looking at the statue. "Curious about the entranceway with the butterflies. But we probably shouldn't take chances here." He looked at Danielle."I say we take the portal."

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
Cerise Cooper

"Sounds good to me. I never met a portal I didn't like," Cerise says, but she doesn't go to the portal. Instead she approaches the statue and looks it over for a couple of seconds before giving it a soft kick. "Anybody in there?" she mutters to herself.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Allison Chains

"I get the feeling we'll be visiting the butterfly room later, but for now, the most obvious thing in our sights is likely the most intuitive. Let's go through."

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

The Waking World

To step into the basement of Barbalen Hall, right next to the soda machine. The tech workshops are usually for night classes so no one sees you suddenly appear.

The pressure you feel inside your head eases a bit. You sense you can now relieve it. Like some sort of psychic fart. What will happen is anyone's guess.

If you want to release fallout you may in the real world whenever you want. The exception is bursts which go off right away even in battle. Just roll whatever result you need to.
If you don't like your result discuss it with me

SHY NUDIST GRRL fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Nov 2, 2016

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Robert Cooper

"Right, I suppose since I'm the one that managed to avoid getting hurt, I'll go in first. I do hope there's no other fight waiting there. And I definitely hope this doesn't end up with me waking up in bed and it was a dream, or I will be pissed at my subconscious." And with that Robert went through the portal, trying to be ready for anything on the other side.

Which was, fortunately, just a quiet location near the school. Robert felt the power still coursing a bit through him, some pressure that seemed to roll through his veins, but it was just a tingle, nothing too bad. For now, he'd leave it be, and first make sure the others were alright once they got out.

Also, for my level up, I will take +1 to magic

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Nov 2, 2016

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Danielle Durant

And we were back, just like that. How pleasantly uneventful. My body still felt a little... strange, but at least we were home. Figuratively, anyways. I give a nod to Cooper Two after I come through, glancing about the basement. No one around to see us appear from thin air, thankfully. Letting out a small yawn, I grab something from the soda machine as we wait for Chains and Cooper One to join us.

Forgot to do my advance, so grabbing a +1 to Insight (6 -> 7)

quote:

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Cerise Cooper

Cerise steps back into the real world and brushes a stray hair away from her eyes. It was a bit of a surprise being back in the familiar, non-corrupted version of campus and realizing just how oppressive the atmosphere in the other place is by comparison. The lightly polluted city air is weirdly refreshing, and for a second she almost relishes it.

The moment passes and she's bored again.

But speaking of refreshing--there is that energy, that amped-up little buzzing in the back of her skull. She closes her eyes, focuses, feels out the corners of her mind where these... emotions are pulling up. Back in the other world her mind felt closed-off, restrained, like that faint humming building up inside of her was trapped within, but she realizes that now her brain is a little more... porous. Maybe she can just eject this stuff, get those clogs cleared up, starting with that strange little sparking sensation flitting around inside her headspace.

Krysmbot OpposingFarce, 31 = 31
Looks like that's "devices in the area turn on by themselves" for the magic distortion.

Cerise feels a sudden release of tension as the streetlamps around her start to flicker and spark. Nearby phones go off, Danielle's soda machine spits out a handful of random drinks, there's a loud surging and whirring as the backup generator for a nearby building kicks into high gear... and then it stops, and there's an eerie moment of silence before everybody around starts murmuring amongst themselves about whatever the gently caress just happened. So that's that, then, she thinks. Not bad for a first go at it.

Now for the other small fry. This one feels all warm and mushy and satisfied, like some kind of gross little... heated... beanbag chair... in her head. Or something. Yeah, time to send this sucker out so she never has to think about that simile again.

Krysmbot OpposingFarce, 37 = 37
This is where I realized I was using the wrong method to roll. I didn't bother rerolling the magic distortion because it got a valid result, but I had to give this one another go.

Krysmbot OpposingFarce, 6+6 = 12

That's a 66, which gets me "you watch them from a distance, rapt." I'm, uh, not totally sure how to play that one, but let's just roll with it.

Cerise spaces out for a second and finds herself enamored by a particularly handsome student passing by on the other side of the quad. She shakes her head and tries to come back to her senses. Whatever this lovey-dovey bullshit is, she doesn't like it. She's glad to have that one out of the way.

But then there's that throbbing, pulsing, burning feeling in the back of her head. She can't quite place it, but she's... pissed off, actually. And not in, like, the usual low-key way, either. A little push right now and she might actually lose her cool.

She rather likes her cool.

So no touching that one right now. It's just gonna have to stay bottled up.

I took +1 Magic for my advance, by the way.

quote:

Resolve: 16/18
Overcharge: Fury 9

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Nov 2, 2016

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Allison Chains

I'll take +1 to Charm. It is now a 7.

Allison steps out, completing the set. It's refreshing, being back on terra firma, even if this isn't quite where they expected to end up. All the same, it's a welcome sight and he won't question the magic mechanics. Oh, but speaking of mechanics, he said he'd give everyone the once-over. He opts to clear his head a little of these pent-up emotions before doing so, lest he end up messing up this task.

"Now, I believe I promised some medical once-overs. One moment, each of you."

"22:45 Platonibot 9 (2d6=6, 3)"

Oh boy, that's "Magical Boy," which I guess means gender swap.

Allison, now with a longer haircut and more gifted in the feminine regions, first tends to Robert, despite his earlier protests. She removes her gloves and gives his wrist a careful examination before applying the slightest bit of pressure to fix up that spot she must've pushed out of alignment earlier.

"Good as new. Hopefully you'll sleep better tonight."

The above assumes no interruptions, mind. If he raises a fuss though, she'll shrug and move on.

Without even acknowledging her new assets or tone of voice, Allison moves right on to inspecting the spots of her fellow ladies, finding nothing of any serious damage, but making sure the joints aren't locking up or the hands cramping all the same.

Unknown Quantity fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Nov 4, 2016

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Robert Cooper

Robert is briefly frozen as Allison turns into... a female form. When she moves to inspect him though, he breaks out of his freeze to brusquely remove her hand. "God drat it, Allison. I know this is college and all. But do we have to get you a lesson on 'no means no'? I said, I'm fine. I don't. want. you. to. touch. me. Especially with... whatever it is that you've got going on." He scowled. "drat it. Poe wasn't kidding about being careful with this kind of power."

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 4, 2016

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Cerise Cooper

Cerise pats Robert on the head. "There, there, Robert, why don't you chill out? Allison can be whoever she wants to be. Don't you judge." She puts an arm around his shoulder and leans sideways over him. "Brothers, right? They're such assholes."

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Danielle Durant

Stunned by Chains' sudden...change of form, I'm shaken out of my stupor as Cooper One and Two both speak. Watching Chains carefully as he, or rather, she approaches to examine my injuries, I say,

"I do not disagree that people are free to choose, but this is different. For one, I am uncertain that Chains actually chose this. Er, by the way, do you feel... well, Chains?"

quote:

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Robert Cooper

"I know you're opposed in principle to taking anything seriously, Cerise." He said with the long suffering look of someone to whom this particular situation is not the first time. "But this is a problem. If this lasts long, people are going to ask questions about him. We don't know if this change is permanent. People are going to be looking for him. Boy from a wealthy family vanishes so soon after his sister gets attacked will get serious police attention." He scowled. "I guess I should have known a wish like that would not come cheap." He pondered his own... charge. Probably best to release it now, while they were in private. He closed his eyes and just... let go. Halfway expecting something terrible to happen.

So it was a bit of an anticlimax when the feeling just subsided. Nothing seemed to change. Except. The soda machine had a little digital screen, which instead of 'Insert Coin' was now scrolling with.... Robert looked closer. Arcane instructions of some sort.

Well, could be worse.

Rolled for a minor magic Distortion. 5,4 all screens nearby display magical writing.

"We should probably get out of here."

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Allison Chains

"How do I put this...The transformation itself is a bit shocking, but there's no shock value beyond the fact that something changed? I'd more or less dismissed my gender as a meaningful part of my character a few years back, considering a 'gentleman' does not have to be of any particular gender to qualify as one. There's a term for this that's on the tip of my tongue, but alas, I cannot recall it at the moment. It's just as well, anyway, as reducing it into a mere label is an oversimplification."

Having finished her examinations, Allison readjusts their hat and puts their gloves back on.

"For someone who seemed to so dislike my proximity, you sure do care about my well-being, Mr Cooper. Perhaps there's hope for us yet. If I had some gauze, tape, and a little time, I could set up some athletic bindings, but I don't think you intend to waste the time looking for such things. The best course of action, it seems, is to get to bed and see if it wears off overnight."

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Danielle Durant

I stare at Chains for a moment before lightly shrugging. If the person themself didn't care, then it would be crass of me to focus in on it. Still, the transformation made me wary of the energy churning within my own body. Would I cross the gender barrier as Chains had, or would something else happen to me? An issue I could worry about when it happened, I supposed.

"As Chains says, we can fret about this more if the effect lasts overnight. Then... we may have some difficulty explaining the situation, but we will make do."

Tossing my finished drink into the trash, I start walking towards the basement's exit.

"And yes, I see no reason for us to linger here. It is late, and I could do with some sleep."

quote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

The Next Day

Your first day as monster hunters was profitable but things have already started to complicate themselves. Did something awkward happen because of the magic weirdness you're experiencing? If not, who do you know seems suddenly agitated by something?

Was there anyone you spent time with that night or morning? Or did you try to keep a wide berth from your friends and family while you acclimate to your new hobby?

Once you're all free of your classes for the day your phone buzzes. It's the number Poe texted you with before. Already can sense the work you're doing. Eager beavers should know bigger ids drop more seeds. If you have the stones for it.

• Locked thread