Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qirex
Feb 15, 2001

even commercial displays are smart tvs now since it's not worth it to build 2 different models, the main difference is the commercial models are targeted at playing local video/photo files as signage or being pointed at a web page

production monitors usually max out at 30-42" and cost 20 grand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Panty Saluter posted:

oh yeah, this is the other reason I bought the tv i have, it does 24hz.

the only device that ever supplied 24hz was my old wdtv, nothing new does that. maybe bluray players, but lol if u think i will bother with a spinny disc

You can get 24Hz out of a PC in any number of ways. I use Plex Home Theater and it will choose to output 24Hz, 50Hz, or 60Hz based on what the content was produced at.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Twerk from Home posted:

You can get 24Hz out of a PC in any number of ways. I use Plex Home Theater and it will choose to output 24Hz, 50Hz, or 60Hz based on what the content was produced at.

yeah i need to get the spare pc running with that. i ghuess that would be a good use case for my steam controller as well

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i do my digital signage with chromecast and ones in shows with watchout and a long cord

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

my tv is hooked up straight to my desktop pc and i watch movies at every framerate and play epic games on it (just finished bioshock 2, don't know why everyone said it was worse than the first one, it was actually better) and in general it is a super pro move

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I use my ps4 for most of my media needs because it is just nicer to use than my desktop

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

artificially stocked lake posted:

motion interpolation literally makes me feel sick and is the first thing turned off on any new tv

also lol if you don't use hde hd basics to calibrate any display

what is that? is that better than using something like the spyder5 to calibrate?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

wish we had a yospyder cause I'm not paying $200 or whatever to make a screen look diff

except for my sick nasty video card

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

wish we had a yospyder cause I'm not paying $200 or whatever to make a screen look diff

except for my sick nasty video card

it's 2016 just join the sharing economy and spend your free time hiring yourself out as a freelance TV calibrator on the weekends

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

my tv is hooked up straight to my desktop pc and i watch movies at every framerate and play epic games on it (just finished bioshock 2, don't know why everyone said it was worse than the first one, it was actually better) and in general it is a super pro move

bioshock is a 2k game not an epic game IDIOT

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

well i wouldn't know, my tv only goes up to 1920

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

r u ready to WALK posted:

The man from the future is going to watch the movie in fully immersed 3D VR because his computer built a 3d model of the movie scene by extrapolating object positions over time in relation to the camera movements :colbert:

statistically speaking, the average man from the future is going to watch the movie in a quarter-screen chrome tab from a pirate site as he enters hour sixteen of a coding/tech support/backup remote driving tesla job

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Encrypted posted:

what is that? is that better than using something like the spyder5 to calibrate?

spyder5 is probably better if you wanna get real :spergin: about it, hde is a good consumer level calibration disc that isn't $200

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Twerk from Home posted:

it's 2016 just join the sharing economy and spend your free time hiring yourself out as a freelance TV calibrator on the weekends

this is honestly not a bad idea

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
i came across this recently https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu6ffG1u2H8 2 nerds calibrate leo laports' tv for 90 minutes with 2 colorimeters

in the end the difference is unnoticeable

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Perplx posted:

i came across this recently https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu6ffG1u2H8 2 nerds calibrate leo laports' tv for 90 minutes with 2 colorimeters

in the end the difference is unnoticeable

Which probably has nothing to do with watching a video of it vs. Being in the room

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
after you get done using the $200 color calibration programs on your tv, does it instruct you on where to place the included bags of crystals?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
my new tv arrives tomorrow, I hope it is not garbage

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

The Management posted:

my new tv arrives tomorrow, I hope it is not garbage

nah, you'll be set

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Sagebrush posted:

well i wouldn't know, my tv only goes up to 1920

fffffff :prepop:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

or just google your tv and get the calibrated settings for it since modern flat panels with digital processing are pretty consistent

it's not like the old days where you could buy two identical crts and have them look completely different out of the box

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The_Franz posted:

or just google your tv and get the calibrated settings for it since modern flat panels with digital processing are pretty consistent

it's not like the old days where you could buy two identical crts and have them look completely different out of the box
lol this isn't actually true. samsung is known for putting panels with completely different lcd technologies (think ips vs. tn) into the same model of tv with no notification whatsoever of what you're getting.

they also probably explode inr egular use

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

lol this isn't actually true. samsung is known for putting panels with completely different lcd technologies (think ips vs. tn) into the same model of tv with no notification whatsoever of what you're getting.

they also probably explode inr egular use

yeah there are exceptions, but in general if someone else has already calibrated the same model that you have then using the same settings will get you extremely close to their results. if you care about getting that last tiny bit then by all means spend hundreds of dollars on gear and many hours tweaking white-balance settings.

i went down that road 10+ years ago and i'm not going back. it drives you nuts.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
my new tv is here and hdmi-cec is actually working. it's like some kind of miracle.

the colors are eye-searingly bright and need some major adjustment. the motion interpolation is annoying but I left it on for now

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

The Management posted:

my new tv is here and hdmi-cec is actually working. it's like some kind of miracle.

It is seriously great when it works. My steamlink turns on and activates the right input when i turn on a controller, and my dvd player responds to controls from the tv remote even tho it's on the other side of a wall. loving Smooth.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

my steamlink randomly turned on my tv in the middle of the night. that was cool.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
mah chromecast works good with hdmi cec on my old samsung led tv

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I don't even own a TV

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

I don't even own a TV

yea but u do got a couch and a shag carpet

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I just got a new desk chair

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

The Management posted:

I'll say. HDMI-CEC is a great idea that never seems to be more than half implemented.

I turn the FireTV on and the TV turns on. Turn of the FireTV and the TV stays on. I found out recently that if you turn off the TV first it WILL turn off the FireTV. :eng99:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah it's actually a thing with Samsung tvs. People buying them and returning them until they get one with an IPS panel. Not unlike Nintendo with their random 3ds screens.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Yeah it's actually a thing with Samsung tvs. People buying them and returning them until they get one with an IPS panel. Not unlike Nintendo with their random 3ds screens.

lomarf. i am way too lazy for that. p. sure mine has a pva panel (it's about five years old)

has samsung given up on pva?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

original chromecast is good. shame they're cocking it all up

• Locked thread