Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
It is 1986.

Ronald Reagan is President of the United States of America. The Cold War continues, and the Iran-Contra conflict is in full swing.

The Albany FBI office has been assigned a team of VASCU agents. The Vanguard Serial Crimes Unit don't handle the usual sort of cases that the rest of the FBI is concerned with--they handle the cases that are supernatural in nature.

In short: they hunt monsters, but not to destroy--to bring to trial, within the system.

This is a recruit for a Hunter: the Vigil game. Create characters using the rules in Chronicles of Darkness, with the adaptations from the Hunter book Mortal Remains. Characters will all be expected to be members of VASCU, found in World of Darkness: Slasher.

I can be found on IRC on #persona on irc.synirc.net for any questions.

Please do not forget to include the answers to the Integrity questions:

1. What is the worst thing your character has ever done, from their own perspective?
2. What is the worst thing your character can imagine themselves doing?
3. What is the worst thing your character can imagine anyone else doing?
4. What supernatural thing have you seen and forgotten or willfully ignored?
5. What is the most traumatic thing that has ever happened to your character?

Also, please answer the additional questions: of your family, who are you closest to? Who are you least fond of, and why?

Inspirational viewing: Stranger Things, X Files, Manhunter (1986), Twin Peaks.

Edit: Recruit will run till October 15th.

MollyMetroid fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Oct 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Leviticus "Levi" Montgomery

Sheet

Levi Montgomery is a backwoods kid made good. He's always had ability...the ability to grasp, understand and think like other people. What he didn't suspect, for a very long time, was that it was anything more than that. Further, his understanding was not always helpful...he had the tools to understand, but not to convince. One child among many, Leviticus Montgomery often focused more on being right than convincing others of it. Still, he felt his ability to understand others could be useful. In school, he went into law, and excelled. He passed the bar...but rather than become a lawyer of any kind, he applied to the FBI. That was only two years ago. Levi is now a full agent, and his idealism still hasn't worn off. In the FBI, they explained his ability - the ability to tap into the minds of others. He didn't just understand them, he linked himself to them. His stubborn refusal to admit being wrong and his difficulty in convincing others was part of his mind's adaptation to his latent telepathy, reasserting his own identity.

The Wintergreen process opened his mind. It allowed him to tap into new abilities - to actively seek understanding of others, to find linkages. It has come with risks - Levi's stubborn personal walls are weakened, in his mind. It is easier for him to lose a part of himself in nightmare when using his ability. But still, Levi is determined. He's going to become a star profiler, mmake a difference. He truly believes in the law and his own ability to make the world a better place.

1. What is the worst thing your character has ever done, from their own perspective?

Levi's brother, Jubilation, wasn't...well, wasn't normal, according to their parents. He had...deviant desires. Specifically, Jubal liked other boys. Levi is the one who let that secret slip. At the time, he agreed with his parents - that it was evil, wrong, sinful. At the time, he thought he was saving Jubal's soul. That was before he witnessed the whupping his father laid on Jubilation Montgomery. Levi's done all he can since to try to make it up to his brother...but Jubal still walks with a cane. It was the first thing that made Levi question his parents' snake-handling faith. It wouldn't be the last.

Levi's an idealist, a true believer. He really believes in the law and its importance. For him, the worst thing he can imagine himself doing is going back on his oath to uphold it. Shooting a man in the line of duty, even killing him - that's one thing. Sometimes it's needed. But there are strict rules on when and why. Chosoing to break those rules, to do what is expedient instead of what is right - Levi dreads the day he has to make that decision.

Levi has seen bad things. He's seen, thanks to his abilities, horrible tortures, true evil in the minds of monsters. It haunts his nightmares. But he understands it, really. He can see how the monsters think, understand why they do it. Usually. Except for one thing: the vivisectors. Witnessing all that pain and torture - it never stops being a horror. People who can cause terrible harm while leaving their victims alive...that is the worst thing Levi can imagine.

Levi can remember, when he was just a boy, that he and his siblings would head out into the mountains to find the witch. He also remembers that they never did find her. It was just a game, a dare they pushed on each other. The witch who ate children but could grant wishes. Levi has blocked out what really happened one summer. That summer, he went out on the new moon to try to find the witch. The dare was to stay out all night and hunt for her. That night, he found an old house on the mountain. A shack, really. And inside, he saw the woman - older, like a grandmother, bent with arthritis. He saw her working over an old cookstove, making some kind of meat stew. He saw the strange things that hung in her home - eyes, dried lizards, strange plants. And he saw his sister, Ruth, helping the old woman. He watched for a long while - even when they said things in a language he didn't understand, when the old woman cut her arm open and vines spiraled from the wound.

After that he turned and ran. His nightmares still, occasionally, through that image into his face - the old woman carving herself open and pulling forth a blossomong, bloody flower.

Levi stood up to his father, after he saw Jubal's beating. It took him months to build up the courage, but he did it. He told his father that he thought that Jesus taught mercy to sinners, that it wasn't right to treat the congregation they way they did when they learned someone did wrong. Technically, this wasn't sin, quite, beyond disrespecting parents - and that's why Levi wasn't beaten. It would've been better if he had been. Rather, his father decided to let Levi 'experience the Lord' and put him in the Old Room. More of a cell, really. Just enough room to stand...and as many venomous spiders as the church could get their hands on. Snakes, spiders, scorpions - they believed the Lord would reveal His truth in the confrontation of death and show His mercy in preventing the deadly bites.

To this day, Levi cannot stand spiders.

Also, please answer the additional questions: of your family, who are you closest to? Who are you least fond of, and why?

Levi cherishes his siblings, Jubilation and Ruth. They all went through Hell going growing up. Jubal still doesn't entirely forgive Levi for outing him to their parents, and Levi still feels some fear towards Ruth for reasons he doesn't fully understand, but they the most important people in his life.

Levi's father, Jeroboam Montgomery, is his least favorite family member, followed shortly by his mother, Missy. The old bastard was supposed to be a minister, a man of God, and all he ever was was a torment to his family. None of his children will speak to him now, given their choice in the matter. Levi hates Missy almost as much, because she never stepped in to stop her husband, and stood by him and his church no matter what happened. She never laid a hand on any of her three kids, as far as Levi is aware, but she never stopped her husband, either.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Oct 2, 2016

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I am so in

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
This sounds awesome.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Because it has come up, a couple of things:

1) Resources is not a merit. Don't bother with it. If you want to be filthy rich, talk to me, otherwise you're assumed to have like, agent's wages.
2) You start with a free dot of VASCU status. You cannot start higher than 3 dots in VASCU status.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
Gonna have to drop, sorry about that.

Senior Scarybagels fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 5, 2016

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I'm interested! PC to appear in this space in some form or fashion unless I am slain by dog fart

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!
I'm interested, will hopefully get something up soon.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Agent Jacob Payne

Stop me if you've heard this one: A Negro, a homosexual, and an FBI agent walk into a bar. The bartender asks "What would you like to drink, Agent Payne?". Oh, is it not as funny when I tell it? Am I missing some of the finer points of the delivery, some subtle linguistic flair? Or maybe you only prefer to talk about my race and my personal life behind my back when you think I won't find out? That's what I thought. I don't particularly give a drat what you think of me so long as you do your job, but know that I will be watching and if you fail to perform your duties to the standard the FBI requires I will take no small amount of personal satisfaction in having you booted out of this unit.

A respected former NYPD Vice-squad detective and full FBI field agent with an enviable arrest and case closure record, Jacob would probably be a rising star of the Bureau if he was less black, gay and psychic. His transfer to VASCU was a relief for his superiors, getting rid of a political football into the spook squad where he can be safely sidelined and never promoted while still being useful. His inscrutable and unflappable nature makes him a terror in the interview room, and his keen eye for detail at a crime scene is well known.

quote:

Concept: Literally this guy
Virtue: Duty
Vice: Vengeance
Attributes: Mental 5/Physical 4/Social 3
  • Intelligence 2
  • Wits 2
  • Resolve 4
  • Strength 2
  • Dexterity 3
  • Stamina 2
  • Presence 1
  • Manipulation 1
  • Composure 4
Skills: Mental 7/Social 11/Physical 3
  • Academics 3
  • Investigation 3 (Crime Scenes)
  • Occult 1
  • Athletics 1
  • Drive 1
  • Firearms 1
  • Empathy 3 (Lies, Motives)
  • Intimidation 3 (Interrogation)
  • Streetwise 3
  • Subterfuge 2 (Hiding Emotions)

Merits: Status (VASCU) 3, (FBI) 1 , Professional Training (Detective) 3, Good Time Management, Patient, Contacts 2 (NYPD, Drug Dealers)
Willpower: 8
Integrity: 7
Size: 5
Speed: 10
Health: 7
Initiative: 6
Defense: 3

quote:

I shot a kid. A drug bust went wrong, one of the dealers pulled a piece and a firefight broke out. A teenage kid coming home from school got caught in the crossfire and hit by a bullet I fired. He lived, but he'll never walk again. NYPD called it a good shoot, put dirt on the kid to keep it off me. I transferred to the FBI soon after, couldn't stay in NYC with that hanging over me.

quote:

Premeditated murder. I've thought more than once about going outside the law, putting my service revolver up to some dirtbag's head and making them beg before pulling the trigger.

quote:

I've seen some heinous stuff in my time. Violence, cruelty, man's inhumanity to man. Crimes of a sexual nature are still the most upsetting to me.

quote:

For a moment there I could have sworn that hobo on the subway was a giant insect in a suit made of human skin, but it had been a long day. Must have been seeing things.

quote:

A close friend of mine died, slowly and painfully, from that AIDS disease. His family and everyone he knew abandoned him and I watched him die, alone and unloved. The hospital incinerated his body without consulting anybody because they were scared of contagion.

quote:

My mother is a good woman who would greatly prefer I was married to a nice black woman and popping out grandkids for her, but she loves me. My cousin Albert and I haven't spoken since my father's funeral - he is a Baptist preacher who is convinced that my homosexuality will somehow harm his standing with his congregation. I think he is a superstitious fool, and told him so.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Oct 17, 2016

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I'll submit something by tomorrow!

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Oh man I haven't played Hunter in forever, and last time I did, I shot the gas tank on a car being driven by a vampire that had killed my Chicago PD partner after he beat me within an inch of my life and left for me dead.

Vampire went boom.

Totally in on this.

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 3, 2016

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Hector Amundsen
Sheet

Hector's been in the bounty business for years. Realistically speaking, he's been in the Private Detective business, but bounties are what really made the bills, and what gave him his reputation. Tailing a cheating husband is great and all, but tracking down someone jumping their probation or making good on a jailbreak is what gets you noticed. And Hector always caught his man with a smile and alive - uninjured if possible. Hector always liked being a nice guy; the bounties would sometimes just give up, rather than let someone else bash their skulls in for the claim.

Hector decided to get out of the business fairly recently. It wasn’t just one or two jobs that put him off his solo career; it was one after another. He’d go out on a missing person case, track them down, and find a room full of blood, pentagrams, and the scent of sulfur. But the police didn’t find anything after the fact. An adultery job led him to a mistress who didn’t cast a reflection, or so he swore to the cops afterwards. He once chased a runaway halfway across the city, up and down buildings. He had to call it off when the man sprouted claws, a mane of hair, 50lbs of muscle, and punched his way through a wall. Or maybe the guy was on PCP, and the light was bad.

After some soul searching he decided to apply for the FBI. Apparently his reputation – and his recent experiences – had gotten the attention of VASCU, because it was only a few short months before he found himself in a room being sworn in as an agent. It’s been a year since then. The cases haven’t gotten any less unsettling, but at least he’s got some answers, and now he’s in a position to really put his skills to the test.

Hector was tracking down a bail jumper, Clark Greenwald. The man was due in court for a hit and run. Terrible thing; completely shattered the victim’s femur, landed her in a wheelchair for life. It didn’t take long to find Clark. He was at his kid’s birthday party. His daughter didn’t know anything about the whole case. Clark begged Hector to wait, just even for two hours, and he’d go quietly. Hector said he’d think about it, and then he jammed Clark right in the chest with a stun gun. Rent was due.

Hector wants to be a good person. He likes to think that he’s doing a service, tracking people who are up to no good. But he knows that sometimes he just does it for the thrill, and for the rush of power over another person. That’s why he tries so hard to give his targets the nice way out. He doesn’t want to let himself take away the last thing that makes them human, their own free will.

3.What is the worst thing your character can imagine anyone else doing?
Hector’s whole former business was giving people without options a glimmer of hope. The worst thing he can think of would be betraying that trust, and destroying someone’s last vision of hope.

4.What supernatural thing have you seen and forgotten or willfully ignored?
One of his first jobs, actually. He was on a stakeout, watching for signs of any activity at a disused warehouse by the dockyards. There was suspicion that there was a kidnapping ring operating out of the area, and the man Hector was tailing had been seen talking with one of the alleged leaders. Through his binoculars, Hector saw his man on an upper level window. The man looked out and idly scanned the docks. There wasn’t any way that he could have seen Hector from so far away, but when their eyes met through the binoculars, the man smiled – far too wide for a human. Then his face melted and reformed, and Hector was looking at himself. He doesn’t remember much of how he got home, only that he woke up in a cold sweat on his couch.

5.What is the most traumatic thing that has ever happened to your character?
Hector got jumped by a serial killer, once. He wasn’t on the job or anything, just out on the town. For the next two weeks, he lived in a dark cell in a basement, eating meager meals and making GBS threads in a corner. His captor would come in twice daily, prodding at Hector with stakes, like he was an animal being goaded for a circus. The police raided the hideout before the killer could finish the job, and dragged Hector weeping into the sunlight. Hector hasn’t ever forgotten that feeling of powerlessness.

Hector’s sister, Maria, is a ray of sunshine in his life. She’s a blogger, running commentary on current events. She’s always there to let him vent after a stressful day, and he suspects that she’s mining him for True Crime stories as inspiration for a novel.
Hector’s mother Olivia all but disowned him when he told her he was going into the bounty business. To hear her tell it, he was an ungrateful and shameful stain on his family to risk his own life and the safety of his family chasing criminals. She’s always wanted him to settle down as a desk jockey, get a wife, and provide for her in her old age. Things got strained after his father died of a heart attack; she expects her kids to be the scions of the family, and they’re just not playing ball!

Beats Tracking: 1 (botched talking to Old Nick)

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 31, 2016

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Born to a police family, Robin Thompson was always a bit too sharp-tongued and bright to fit into the predictable path set before her. Though a scholarship and her critical mind got her into the sciences, the tradition of her family brought her to forensics. Getting into the FBI internship was a huge leap for her, but one that set her going forward.

However, while excellent academically, her mouth had a tendency to get her into trouble, and it was VASCU that gave her a second chance after she informed a director exactly what she thought of a internal coverup. The Wintergreen Process opened her mind to patterns- patterns that don't make any sense logically, but when a pop song or magazine ad speaks to her in the morning, it's become to reliable not to listen. The frustrating part is that she knows from the outside it makes little sense, but here at least they seem to understand... and well

What is the worst thing your character has ever done, from their own perspective?

While she was at college, Robin got into a fight with her father about her path in the sciences, and religion- and disowned her family. Or disowned them before they had a chance to do different. They've made up since, but things are still tense. She said things, threatened her family with knowledge of things her father had done while on the job... whether or not that was right, it's seared into her mind.

What is the worst thing your character can imagine themselves doing?

Pulling the trigger wrongly. She dreads making the mistake... though she has surprisingly strong nerves, that doesn't stop a failure of reason. In fact, it might make it worse, since she doesn't hesitate as much. Passion or instinct could rule over law or logic.

What is the worst thing your character can imagine anyone else doing?

Though the personal nature of torture, multilation, and violation is the clearest examples that come into her mind, a moment more focuses her on mass death - explosions, arson, spree murder. It's easy to get distracted by the personal, but the impersonal is the worst. The cold order of a cult leader or the impersonal trigger of a mass shooter is probably the worst thing. It's even worse if the prime mover doesn't have to commit the act.

What supernatural thing have you seen and forgotten or willfully ignored?

Robin has always seen patterns in things, giving her occasional odd glimpses and dreams. Noticing the drifter on the corner than never seemed absent... nor begging. Seeing the skyline as a shifting mass of pistons in a dream, too slow for anybody to notice. The swarm of crows in the reflection of a car window over their neighbor's house... before their suicide. Only recent years have brought into awareness and focus.

What is the most traumatic thing that has ever happened to your character?

That night her father took a bullet to the chest, getting to see all the blood before he was wheeled away... he survived, but for two days they just waited. She thought she saw the crows at the window, but they were gone on a second glance. It'd be a year before he was back on the beat, and seeing him go back on it didn't help. She feels like she's been waiting for the sequel ever since.

Of your family, who are you closest to? Who are you least fond of, and why?

Melody Thompson, her sister, who's working on her MD at the moment as a resident at the University of Chicago Medical Center. Melody was Robin's "inside person" in the family when she was on the outs, and though they don't agree on a lot of things it's a lot fewer things than Robin disagrees with her parents on. "Least fond" is a tough question, because it varies from moment to moment. She goes through cycles where her parents (Gary and Lisa Thompson) swap roles as which one's judging and which one's bridging, often based on their mood and their own interpersonal dramas. It's not really a problem with the occasional call or visit, but sometimes it can bubble to the surface in ugly ways.

pre:
Robin Thompson, Acerbic Analyst

Concept: Forensic Psychic	Virtue: Honest	Vice: Critical

Mental			Physical		Social	

Intelligence	2	Strength	2	Presence	1
Wits		3	Dexterity	3	Manipulation	2
Resolve		3	Stamina		2	Composure	3

Academics	1	Athletics	3	Empathy		1
Investigation	3	Brawl		1	Persuasion	3
Medicine	2	Firearms	3
Occult		2
Science		3

Specialties: Forensics (Science), Handguns (Firearms), Omens (Occult)

Merit			Rank	Type

Contacts		2*	Academia, Police
Firefight		1
Investigative Aide	1	Science
Omen Sensitivity	3
Professional Training	1	Forensic Scientist
Status			1	FBI
Status			1*	VASCU

* Free Merit

Willpower	6	Integrity	7	Initiative	6
Defense		6	Speed		10	Health		7

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 18, 2016

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
ARB did you miss the extra questions about family?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

MollyMetroid posted:

ARB did you miss the extra questions about family?

I saw it and then forgot it when working everything out, I'll get to it shortly. Thanks for the reminder.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Agent Vanessa Chambers

Sheet

Ambition has always been a major driving force behind Vanessa’s life, which is why it surprised many that she actively sought out admission to VASCU. What few know is that she is also driven by a desire to figure out her unusual place in the world and put it to its best use.

Ever since she was a child, she could keenly feel the surface thoughts and emotions of others. While initially distressing, over the years Vanessa learned to turn those feelings to her advantage. Thanks to the strong moral example provided by her extensive family, she avoided becoming the sociopathic manipulator that so many people in that situation would become. She was manipulative, yes, but as much as possible she would turn that ability toward more benign uses such as acquiring exactly the right gift a friend wanted, or giving precisely the right compliment to ensure an acquaintance would be on her side. Having six siblings, it was often necessary to manipulate just to be noticed by her parents, though they managed to rarely validate her when she sought any kind of negative attention.

Growing up, she shared much of the pain and hardship her friends went through, which leaning on her family supports saw her through. While that made life more difficult, Vanessa could also puzzle out the answers to tests and exams based on the feedback of those around her, which she rationalised as “making full use of her talents.” She would do the same thing with jobs and performance reviews, which is what initially led VASCU to notice her when she was still a lowly beat cop trying to make detective.

Vanessa did not meet their agents’ professional requirements, they explained, though it may have had more to do with the fact that they were unsure how to handle a potential recruit who already displayed active psychic abilities. Still, the rejection angered her, and also strengthened her resolve. She threw herself into her work even more than she already had to as a young woman in a massively male-dominated profession. It took many years, a transfer to the FBI, a lot of investigation, and some use of her supernatural abilities, before she could finally track down VASCU’s elusive agents and demand another chance. Surprised and bemused, the agents deemed her ready and recommended her for transfer to Vanguard, and eventually for the Wintergreen process.

The process has caused a lot of past pain to resurface, (edit)and it has also seemed to dampen some of her abilities, or rather, to redirect them. Instead of the intimate personal knowledge the telepathy provided before, it now seems to focus on the questioning and interrogation aspects of her job. This is actually something of a relief, considering some elements of her past, though Vanessa does occasionally miss the power it afforded her. Still, she is determined to work through those challenges and continue to use her talents to benefit others, and herself.

Vanessa has seized on every opportunity to advance now that she is there, which is admittedly few. She is frustrated with the lack of high-level positions available to her, but the fact that her often-challenging gift can now be put to concrete use gratifies and relieves her greatly. And as in the past, that conflict inspires her to work even harder.

Questions
“My family is huge, with me and six other kids just in one house, so the oldest of them were de facto parents themselves. Being the youngest, I was taken care of by my brother Ben ever since I was a baby. It’s still hilarious to imagine this hapless, acne-ridden 14-year-old being tasked with changing diapers and cleaning up puke. He did well though. Look how I turned out, after all.

“We go to church together at least every time I’m in town, which is sadly rare now that I’m an agent, but that makes it even more of an event when I do get the chance. No, we’re not Catholic, though I can see why you might think so.

“I have a complicated relationship with one of my sisters, Melanie. She didn’t have a hard life, but being the middle child, she often felt like she did. Overshadowed, stressed, resentful, and disillusioned, I could understand why she turned to drugs. I could even understand why she started stealing from us to fuel her habit. I experienced her pain as if it were my own, even if it didn’t make rational sense. But the moment she started lying to us, her own family, that was all I could take. I mean, I've lied to them occasionally, but never about anything that serious. I don’t understand how any of my siblings can still talk to her after the second time she said she was “going clean” only to turn around and get high in our house."

“I once got so annoyed with my roommate in college, and also felt her annoyance at me simultaneously, that I totally lost control and started putting her down for a week straight. That might not seem so bad, except I specifically preyed on her deepest fears and issues. I criticised her weight, suggested her boyfriend could do better, gave backhanded compliments to every little thing she did. In short, I indulged in all the little, petty cruelties I had spent a lifetime training myself to avoid. She dropped out and I never saw her again.

“Once the extreme mental stimulation was gone, the guilt set in. I only ever live by myself now.”

“Killing someone. I know I will probably have to eventually in this line of work, but it’s a point of pride that I’ve never had to use my firearm. It is always better to de-escalate a situation and work things out. A death just leaves this… void in the emotional tapestry around me, ruining the picture forever. I’m not sure how I’d cope with causing that.”

“Sustained torture is not only despicable, it suggests that the person is completely closed off from how other people feel. I can’t even imagine that, since I’ve always been so connected. Plus it makes things harder for people like me, who can actually relive that torture, and I don't appreciate that.”

Vanessa met someone once during a routine patrol at a mall, a woman who did not show up in her psychic perception at all. She was a completely normal person, so normal as to be unremarkable in every way, except for that one detail. But Vanessa was fresh out of the academy then, and her partner looked at her like she was insane when she suggested they question the woman, so she let it go. Vanessa sometimes sees the woman in her dreams, but she has gotten used to ignoring them. Aside from herself, she has not had any other knowing contact with the supernatural before working as an agent.

“Back in high school, a friend called me out of nowhere one evening. She had just taken an overdose of medication, and was waiting for them to take effect and end her life. She said she just wanted someone understanding to talk to in her last moments. My parents, God bless them, quickly went on the other line and called an ambulance, but my friend wasn’t at home. I tried to figure out where she could be, but all I could feel was the utter, desperate despair my friend was experiencing. So I couldn’t think of anything to say, I couldn’t even cry. All I could do was try to reason with her, which felt so hollow because it didn’t match the emotions I was going through with her. Her last words were thanking me for being there, then what felt like an eternity of silence as I sat there, phone clenched to my ear.

"The thing that gets me the most is, I barely knew this girl. I'd only given her some personally-tailored compliments a couple times so she would help me with some homework, and here she had chosen me to talk to in her final hour. Why? I still ask myself that sometimes.

“I switched myself off after that event, or tried to. Whenever I felt something from anyone I didn’t need something from, I tried to push it out. It was easy with weak emotions, but stronger emotions took some practice. The Wintergreen process has actually made it easier in some ways to keep a clear work/life separation there. I’m not sure it’s something I’ll ever be perfect at, but I’m never going to be that helpless again.”

Orbs fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 16, 2016

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Not finished, but I need to sleep. This isn't edited or anything so beware my typos and misspellings.

Oh, that's easy, I still have nightmares about it. I let Danny die. He was my best friend and when our gang went up agianst that thing in the sewer he sacrificed himself to save us. But, I had the crossbow with the silver bolt. I could have saved him, but I ran. More than anything else, that memory pushes me forward. That guilt gives me strength when I confront some monster who thinks that freaky powers means they can break the law. Now I have bullets of silver, and wood, and cold iron and I'm never leaving a friend behind again.

Oh Christ, taking blood. Forget drugs, I've seen what these blood junkies do when the vamps get them hooked. My buddy Tabby's a leech, she's cool, keeps me informed on the nightlife and who's getting out of control. I'm being used, I know that, but I'm also taking care of threats. She's a friend, as much of as friend as something that some times thinks of you as food can be, but she's still hinted a few times that my job would be easier if I took a hit of her juice. She's a good looking lady too. She may be dead, but I'm sure not and I'd be lying if I said I didn't think of taking her offer. But then I just think of worst of the Renfields I've arrested, the way they debased themselves. What happens when I'm not given a choice, though? gently caress,

gently caress you, I've already seen so much that.... No, gently caress you.

The gently caress kind of question is that? I've forgotten the goddamn gangbang of zombie Elvis, Hoffa, and Marilyn goddamn Monroe. How the gently caress am I supposed to know what I forgot? As for ignore? Well, my snitches get the benefit of the doubt. As long as the body count stays low and none of them are citizens, I can look the other way. It's tough as poo poo to get these night creatures to trust you, tougher still to not get mindfucked by them instead. I can overlook a lot for a good relationship.

The sewer. Goddamn, that hosed me up, twelve years old and face to face with something that called itself a god. I wouldn't even be aware all this poo poo was out there if not for the thing in the sewer. Would I have even been a cop? My entire life was derailed, my best friend died, Michelle killed herself a year later. Kedar vanished our junior year of highschool, and Ira's been living in the looney bin for almost two decades now. We all had lives ahead of us and I'm the only one who even approaches normal and I'm a loving monster cop.

My Parents divorced shortly after they found us after the sewer thing, Mom is in Miami. I don't see her, Christmas cards, birthdays when I remember to call. She's never called me. gently caress it. Dad's a drunk, but he's here and he stays in touch. We've never talked about the crazy poo poo I deal with, but I think he knows I'm not a normal cop, as long as I'm feeding him beer, he's happy to listen to me. That's gotta count for something.

I still talk to Amy, my first wife. We married right after highschool. She's a witch. Not a witch witch, I don't think I've ever met anyone so blind to the supernatural as Amy, but she's neck deep in all that new age poo poo. We just grew apart over time, kids shouldn't get married. We work much better as friends.

Now,

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Soonmot, I'm not sure if this concept really fits the tone of the game based on what you've posted. I suggest referring to the inspirational viewing for the tone that's being aimed for.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
No worries.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Last question wrapped up!

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Elizabeth Blake

Elizabeth Blake is one of VASCU's newest recruits. Only recently graduated from Quantico, she never expected to be here. Her path was headed in a different direction, until she was identified as Wintergreen compatible in routine physical.

Elizabeth was from a prosperous but unremarkable family, the sort that turned out bankers and civil servants and respectable professionals on the regular. Her father Thomas was a regional manager for a major bank, her mother a home maker. She the valedictorian in her small town high school, and a star athlete. The exact sort of unremarkable excellence that filled the dorms of the Ivy League. That she'd been part of the generation of women breaking into the professional world was almost pre-ordained.

So too perhaps was the way she was pulled into the world of the supernatural in college. What had seemed like a social club had proven to be something else. The Maiden's Blood Sisterhood had noticed her intelligence, her moral and physical courage, and someone in that organization had marked her out.

Her involvement with them was brief - she participated in a pair of hunts, not a central figure in either, just enough that she knew that the threat was real, and that she was blooded against it. Elizabeth was given instruction on that world, to the extent that the Sisterhood understood it, and introduced to some of the other hunters in that darkness. She came out of this no expert, but at least not a neophyte. In the meantime, her day time curriculum prepared her a career as a civil servant.

That was what she had expected, what she'd been groomed for, by someone who had once followed a similar path. What Elizabeth had expected as a posting to TFV, a first stop in a long career as a government expert in a dark sphere. Common enough in the Cold War world. Instead that train was derailed when a doctor checked a few boxes on a banal form, and VASCU suddenly owned her body and soul.

Elizabeth is determined to make the best of it, though. She's still fighting the good fight, even if its not in the way she'd expected. And VASCU can use someone like her - someone who knows how to play the political game, both in the halls of government and the back rooms of the hunters. Who can talk to people without interrogating them. And who's comfortable bringing the hammer down when it's needed.

The first hunt Elizabeth was involved in with the Maidens was clear cut. They found a monster, and they dealt with it. The other was... much less so. Elizabeth is sure that the thing they killed needed to die. But unlike the first one, he had... She still doesn't know what to call the man. A slave? A lover? Both? Whatever he was, he'd been broken and frightened. In need of help. But they'd left him, because they hadn't known what to do with him. She still wonders what became of him.

Ordering the death of innocents. Its less likely in VASCU than where she expected to be. But she spent a long time steeling herself for the possibility. That for the greater good, in order to get the bad guys, she'd have to command or condone an action that would also kill bystanders. Elizabeth was certain she could do it, if it came to it. She's not sure what that says about her.

Standing by and letting evil be done. Elizabeth makes an exception for those who have legitimate reason to fear for their own safety, but the people who could do something but stand aside, them she sees as unforgivable.

One of the people the Maidens introduced Elizabeth to, that they worked with, knew things. Things she shouldn't have been able to know. At the time, even with what she knew, Elizabeth had deluded herself into thinking they were just well informed, had a good network of informants. At the time she hadn't wanted to accept that they might be fighting fire with fire. Now, though, it seems obvious.

The car crash, the night of her mother's birthday. Elizabeth was only eight, her sister only six, her father out of the country on business. There'd been a big party at her aunt's house and everyone had a bit too much to drink. It wasn't as big a deal then, to drive that way, but Elizabeth's mother knew she shouldn't. So she gave her keys to her brother. But he'd been drunker than he seemed.

Elizabeth woke up in terrible pain, in an upside down car at the bottom of a steep hill, her sister wailing in fear and her mother trying to keep them calm even as she was pinned in the car. Her uncle, as such things tend to go, had escaped unscathed and gone for help. It was hours before they finally got them out of the wreck. Everyone survived, but it was a close thing. It was years before the family spoke to her mother's brother again.

Bonus. Of your family, who are you closest to? Who are you least fond of, and why? Elizabeth is closest to her father, Thomas. He's always doted on her, and she's always wanted him to be proud of her. To live up to the values he stands for. At the same time, she knows he's a pretty average man, no hero, but his ideals still speak to her.

She is least fond of her uncle Frank, her mother's brother. Besides the accident, she's always found him more than a little creepy. He never did anything to her, but the way her looked at her, at her little sister Michelle... But the man was also a coward, and as Elizabeth got older Frank was clearly afraid of her, and she made it clear he was to stay away from Michelle as well. She could never prove he was actually up to anything, but she's long feared he might be, when no one else was looking.

pre:
Elizabeth Blake

Concept: Sidetracked Cold Warrior
Virtue: Loyal	Vice: Ruthless

Intelligence	2	Strength		2	Presence	3
Wits		2	Dexterity	3	Manipulation	3
Resolve		2	Stamina		2	Composure	2

Academics	1	Athletics	2	Empathy		1
Investigation	2	Firearms		2	Intimidation	3
Occult		2				Persuasion	2
Politics	2				Socialize	3
						Subterfuge	2

Specialties Politics (Bureaucracy), Empathy (Lies),
		Intimidation (Interrogation)

Merit			Rank	Type

Contacts		2*	ΠΑΚ sisters, civil servants
Firefight		1
Mentor			2
Professional Training	1
Spin Doctor		1
Status			1*	VASCU
Telekinesis		2

* Free Merit

Willpower	4	Integrity	7	Initiative	5
Defense		4	Speed		10	Health		7

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 16, 2016

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
gonna give everyone who started an app time to finish up if they need to, will make picks tomorrow

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Sorry, life got real hectic this week. I'll bring my man together by tomorrow afternoon if I can and if not, looks like you've got a strong pool of players anyhow.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

I am currently camping, FYI, in case you need to reach me. Will be back later tonight.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
I've got good news!

That gum you like is going to come back in style.

Also, I have picks.

Mors Rattus, Comrade Gorbash, ARBco, thatbastardken, Green Intern, and Klingon w Bowl Cut, you are all in.

Let's get some character impressions going!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Jacob Payne: I always feel awkward. It's like with Jubal, you know? I mean, what they say to him, it's not my fault, I know that, but...
Hector Amundsen: Good field agent, but I'll handle the research work.
Robin Thompson: I know how family can be. She and I, we have a lot in common.
Vanessa Chambers: She's aiming to be assistant director some day. I don't trust ambition in our line of work. But she probably knows that. My advice? Don't stick around too long in my head. Trust me, you won't enjoy what I see.
Elizabeth Blake: She's even newer than I am. Better at talking to people, too. But...well, she's aiming for something, too, and I don't know what, yet.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Levi Montgomery: His 'down home old-timey charm' act is quite effective at getting people to like him. I find it grating. He is a good enough agent that I can overlook my personal aversion.
Hector Amundsen: Bail bondsmen and private detectives are almost invariably scum, more than half criminal themselves. Hector seems to be an exception.
Robin Thompson: Her family can't help her at the Bureau, especially at the rate she makes enemies. Not that she seems to care.
Vanessa Chambers: The culture of the NYPD was quite hostile to women, especially ambitious ones. I imagine that whatever force she was on was no different. I do not intend to be a stand-in for her previous oppressors, or a victim of her quest for status.
Elizabeth Blake: What is this child doing in my office?

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Vanessa's impressions:

Leviticus "Levi" Montgomery - I think we make a good team. He has a similar connection to people I do, but he’s not able to follow through with acting on that information. I am. He’s also a good, on-the-job reminder of my “better half”, so I hope he manages to hold onto his idealism, it will make it easier for me to as well.

Jacob Payne- I thought I had it rough. I can learn so much from him, and it’s crazy how few people recognize that. I hope there’s room for both of us at the top, I’m not sure I have it in me to sabotage this dedicated man’s career.

Hector Amundsen- Talk about rough around the edges. I haven't had the best experiences encountering bounty hunters during my time on the force. Still, if the FBI accepted him, he must have at least some dedication to the law. Plus, I can always use his knowledge and experience to improve myself.

Robin Thompson- It’s nice to have someone else around who appreciates the importance of family. I just wish she also appreciated the importance of knowing when to keep quiet. I mean, I get it, this is not the easiest career path for a young woman. Some days make you want to scream at everybody, but you’re not going anywhere doing that.

Elizabeth Blake- I never would have expected someone like her to be in the FBI at all, but the real shocker is that she was a monster hunter even before joining up with VASCU. That’s remarkable. Hopefully the experience hasn’t made her trigger-happy though.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Hector's Impressions

Jacob Payne: The kind of poo poo Jake must have gone through on his way here. Man, it makes my head spin. I'm dying to know more, but I really don't want to dredge up bad memories. Also he's like the only other non-psychic on this team. It's the little things.
Robin Thompson: Sometimes I look at her, and I wonder if she's really all there. I don't mean that she's insane or anything. It's hard to tell if she's focused on what's happening in front of her, or if she's caught up in one of her visions. Kind of makes my skin crawl, to be honest. I don't tell her this, of course. I've heard her talk about her father; I can relate.
Vanessa Chambers: I'll be honest. I can't tell when Vanessa is "on" or not. And she's so driven, I just don't know if she's mining my brain for information or not. As long as we can just focus on the case at hand, it'll be fine. Maybe I'll get used to it.
Elizabeth Blake: I feel like if I was just a little luckier (or unluckier?) I might have fallen into one of the same circles Elizabeth did. I mean, I bet there were a ton of vampire slayer cliques and ghost chasers just out of my view. I probably tracked a couple of members down, come to think of it. The kinesis thing? Ah...it's alright.
Levi Montgomery: Holy poo poo, you've got a hell of a story there, man. I'm sorry you went through that hell - no kid should have to do what you did. You came out the other side strong though. Please don't poke at my mind, if you please.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 17, 2016

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Hunting the Snark: the Robin Thompson Impressions

Amundsun, Hector:
When I said we could use an K-9 unit, this isn’t quite what I meant.

Blake, Elizabeth: Quantico right to VASCU? What’s next? “Hey, kid, I hear you have the shining, would you like a badge?”

Chambers, Vanessa: You don’t need to get into my head, you know I’ll say what I think.

Montgomery, Levi: Whatever, Smallville.

Payne, Jacob:
Well. It’s funny when you tell it. … What?

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Thread up.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

If I can't get a post done tonight, I will endeavor to do so tomorrow morning. Stuck with just my phone for the moment.

Edit: second guessed myself for nothing.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Oct 23, 2016

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Also Bustin Makes Me Feel Good

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Sorry for being so slow, been a bit of a crazy week. Still here, will post soon.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

As a note, I think everyone would be a Special Agent except me and maybe Jacob (who might be a Senior Special Agent). The FBI actually doesn't have a rank that's just plain Agent!

Dossier prepared by E. Blake, Synopsis

Amundsun, Hector: Cowboy type. Adaptable, but weak on details, prefers informal approach. Relies on his gut more than process. Personal note: Not as smooth as he thinks he is.

Chambers, Vanessa: Ambitious. Goal-oriented and results driven. Likely to cut corners or accept shortcuts to achieve results. Tests boundaries with superiors regularly. Personal note: Almost admire someone who can be such a gigantic rear end in a top hat.

Montgomery, Levi: Earnest, a bit naive. Idealism both a weakness and a strength. Good instincts with people. Not easily deterred from his duty as he sees it. Personal note: Cuter than he thinks he is.

Payne, Jacob: Highly competent and professional, willing to speak uncomfortable truths, including to superiors. Wields other's discomfort as a weapon. Unflappable, tenacious to a fault. Personal note: No discernible sense of humor.

Thompson, Robin: Good at the basic grunt work of an investigation. Not easily fooled. Doesn't jump to conclusions. Incredible attention to detail, but doesn't lose forest for the trees. Quick to offer her opinion - whether requested or not. Personal note: Cannot keep her foot out of her mouth.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Oct 23, 2016

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Sorry for not getting a post up earlier, very busy weekend.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

I'd like to note for the record that suggesting the corpse is unlikely to get up is not the same thing as saying it will not get up, and thus is less of a harsh rebuttal than it might ordinarily be.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

I heavily encourage all agents watching Hector botch talking to Old Nick to give Hector a talking to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Green Intern posted:

I heavily encourage all agents watching Hector botch talking to Old Nick to give Hector a talking to.
I'm planning on it, I was just waiting for Old Nick's response first. Working on a post now.

• Locked thread