Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

No Tomorrow is a CW romantic dramedy in the vein of Jane the Virgin. Like Jane the Virgin, this is a take on Latin American television, this time from Brazil. It is an adaptation of the Brazillian show Como Aproveitar o Fim do Mundo. According to early critics it's a charming piece of television, and the leads have chemistry, so I'm looking forward to it.

Synopsis:
Evie Callahan (Tori Anderson) appreciates order. Whenever she’s making a list, “make a list” is both the first thing on it and the first thing crossed off. Such a regimented life has its drawbacks. Her on-again/off-again romance with the sweet, but soft-spoken Timothy (Jesse Rath) has sputtered out, and her boss, Deirdre (Amy Pietz), a petty tyrant with breath that could kill a plant, laughs off her career ambitions. Then Evie meets charming, free-spirited Xavier Holliday (Joshua Sasse), and the attraction is immediate and electric. Xavier brings a jolt of joyful, rollicking romance into her life. Xavier encourages Evie to carpe that diem, because it’s more fun that way and also because, he says the apocalypse is, you know, nigh. He believes humankind has a mere eight months and twelve days until a runaway asteroid smacks us all into stardust. That’s why Xavier made an Apocalyst – a tally of every last thing he wants to do before the world goes kaput. So with the help of her friends – Hank (Jonathan Langdon), a diehard conspiracy theorist, and Kareema (Sarayu Blue), a droll nihilist – Evie must decide whether Xavier is certifiable and whether that even matters, if being with him means living her life more fully. Based on the International Emmy-nominated Brazilian format from Grupo Globo, NO TOMORROW is a romantic comedy with the ultimate ticking clock.

Cast:

Tori Anderson as Evie, our ordered protagonist.

Joshua Sasse as Xavier-with-an-X, Evie's chaotic love interest.

Amy Pietz as Dierdre, Evie's dream-destroying boss.

Jessie Rath as Timothy, Evie's on-again-off-again boyfriend.

Sarayu Blue as Kareema, Evie's nihilistic friend.

Jonathan Langdon as Hank, Evie's conspiracy nut friend.

Airdate:
Tuesdays on CW at 9 PM. First episode airs October 4th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=senzxpdHStI
Trailer. Will put up other stuff as it becomes relevant.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of weird to see Jesse Rath as button down straightlaced guy considering his last couple of roles were drug addict and space alien.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Isn't there a straight up sitcom dealing with the apocalypse starting on something like TBS or TVLand soon, too? Always interesting when that happens.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Xavier is that rear end in a top hat. It's great.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Also I like the boss lady.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Was it good? I might watch it at some point? I like stories with a good female lead. Is that the case here?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
It was enjoyable. It's not must see tv, but it's also not a waste of an hour.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I've watched it and to be honest I kinda hate it. I just want to punch that male lead. Hacking into the email account of a girl you met a day ago is not cool dude. And staring at her with a telescope isn't either.
Of course, he believes that it's over soon anyway, but come on!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I felt that the episode was mostly setup. I'm giving it a couple episodes to see if it becomes more than an entertaining usage of an hour. If not, I'll probably just put it on as background noise on days I'm doing other stuff.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I feel the really interesting part of the show will come after the eight months are up, and seeing whether the show has the balls to actually blow the world up -- or at least see how Galavant deals with the revelation that the world isn't going to be over.

Though this is probably one of those shows that'll just drag the eight months out to eight seasons, which, frankly, is not the kind of timeline this show is going to get. Most shows struggle to make it past four.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I like the show well enough. That said they should do something crazy and just have the world end like 15 minutes into episode 19 or something. Fill out the rest of the episode with elevator music or their lives flashing before their eyes or something. The end. At least if they get cancelled and don't get a season pickup they should film that and insert it wherever they have to leave off.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I only watched it because the VP debate was on every other channel, but I liked it well enough. Although the relationship dynamic (attractive woman who doesn't know where she wants to go in life and is engaged to a boring nerd, meets and sleeps with rebel-with-a-heart-of-gold neighbor because he's exciting, can't choose between the two men) reminds me a lot "Weird Loners," that piece of poo poo that was on Fox last season that I had to look up to remember the name of.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I guess I'm in the minority because I found it utterly delightful.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

spooky like this! posted:

I guess I'm in the minority because I found it utterly delightful.

Yeah, it was cute. Dude's being a bit of a creep notwithstanding.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Error 404 posted:

Yeah, it was cute. Dude's being a bit of a creep notwithstanding.

They kind of had to do it to ground him because otherwise he was kind of falling way too deep into "magic hunky dream guy" territory. I also really liked Jesse Rath's quiet nerdy guy bit and how he outright states that he isn't just going to hang around and be her backup choice. Maybe I liked it more because I haven't been watching the other CW shows in the same relationship dramedy vein.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I like the Apocalyst gimmick that they're working with. I laughed at her crossing off Run a 5k.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

I expected to hate this show, but actually it's kind of endearing in a 90s-romcom-starring-Jennifer-Aniston-and-whichever-male-lead-is-popular-this-month kind of way. I do feel like the premise will get pretty old pretty fast though, especially if they don't follow through, and stretch out the eight months or whatever. Which, come on, that's what they're going to do.

It also suffers from not knowing if it wants to be a hilarious office space work comedy or the above mentioned Jennifer Aniston romcom. The dialog at work is a little too snappy and clever to fit in with the adorably quirky romance outside of work. It feels like there's two main writers who don't know they're writing different scenes for the same show.

Digital Prophet fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Oct 13, 2016

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Basically I feel this show is going to live or die off its season finale. If the season finale winds up taking place before the 8 months, the show is dead in the water, while if it's the day of impact and season 2 is about Xavier coming to terms with there being no Apocalypse, then that'll be interesting.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Senerio posted:

Basically I feel this show is going to live or die off its season finale. If the season finale winds up taking place before the 8 months, the show is dead in the water, while if it's the day of impact and season 2 is about Xavier coming to terms with there being no Apocalypse, then that'll be interesting.

The original show was only eight episodes long in total, so it's more than likely they'll get there this season, if they keep the tried and true rule of American adaptations (in that the first season is usually annoyingly slavish to the original).

And yeah, they're not gonna have the world end. But I'd love to see the entire cast fall into a mass delusion that the world _is_ about to end, while their co-workers and strangers on the street look on in confusion, horror and hilarity. Then the second season sees the entire cast jobless, homeless and trying to pull themselves together after the most embarrassing clusterfuck possible.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Also Deirdre(the boss lady) is my favorite character on the show, with her awkward attempts to be nice.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRrhlf8Fu3A

Scene from tomorrow's episode!

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

I gave it a shot and found it really cute. It's very romcom, but different than Jane the Virgin or Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. Feel bad for Timothy. They need to get some interaction between him and Xavier, see how that plays out. Also more Kareema scenes!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Last night's episode was quite fun. I'm surprised they got Hank and Deirdre together so soon.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I came around a bit on this show. I liked the silly title card pun last week and I really want to try bone marrow if I get a chance. I've heard good stuff about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also still really enjoying this show every week, on Wednesdays because I don't have cable and don't get the CW on my OTA antenna.

• Locked thread