Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost

hostess with the Moltres posted:

So Xrd rev 2 is the first fighting game I’ve really gotten into, and while I’m starting to wish I had started with something simpler, playing the game still feels really good even though I’m still playing tutorial mini games and trying out special moves. One thing I’m having trouble with is the basic combo training. I really wish they kept the example of what buttons you’re supposed to press as they did for the special moves tutorials. I try to press the buttons after each other as fast as possible, but I keep dropping the combo. Does anyone have advice for that?

maybe you are pressing buttons too fast. it isn't always about raw speed

who are you playing and what are you doing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

So Xrd rev 2 is the first fighting game I’ve really gotten into, and while I’m starting to wish I had started with something simpler, playing the game still feels really good even though I’m still playing tutorial mini games and trying out special moves. One thing I’m having trouble with is the basic combo training. I really wish they kept the example of what buttons you’re supposed to press as they did for the special moves tutorials. I try to press the buttons after each other as fast as possible, but I keep dropping the combo. Does anyone have advice for that?

This isn't Mortal Kombat. GG (as with most non-MK fighting games) has an input buffer that will store inputs even if your character is not currently capable of performing them (because, say for instance, because you're in the middle of executing another move) but there's a limit to how much it will store and the faster you input more inputs the greater the likelihood of you losing inputs cos they pass out of the buffer before your character becomes able to do them. Take it a bit slower; there are very few combos in GG where your ability to do them depends on pressing many buttons as fast as you possibly can.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

This isn't Mortal Kombat. GG (as with most non-MK fighting games) has an input buffer that will store inputs even if your character is not currently capable of performing them (because, say for instance, because you're in the middle of executing another move) but there's a limit to how much it will store and the faster you input more inputs the greater the likelihood of you losing inputs cos they pass out of the buffer before your character becomes able to do them. Take it a bit slower; there are very few combos in GG where your ability to do them depends on pressing many buttons as fast as you possibly can.

This was probably the hardest part of anime games for me. It feels like you should be entering every command ASAP because all your buttons cancel into other buttons but there are a lot of combos that actively won't work if you press them too fast.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

So Xrd rev 2 is the first fighting game I’ve really gotten into, and while I’m starting to wish I had started with something simpler, playing the game still feels really good even though I’m still playing tutorial mini games and trying out special moves. One thing I’m having trouble with is the basic combo training. I really wish they kept the example of what buttons..

Most combos in GG rely on cancels, where you have to input a move's follow up before the move starts to recover. If the move doesn't connect, the followup won't come out. The window to performed cancels is pretty generous in GG, but as others mentioned there is a finite buffer limiting how early you can press stuff. Try not to mash and delay your button presses a little bit in the string to get a feel for the timing.

Also, some combos rely on links, where you need to wait until a move completely finishes recovering to start inputting the next one. Those are usually in more advanced combos (or in specific characters' kits)

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
Thanks for the help everyone. It's definitely one of those things where practice is important but it helps to know what I've been doing wrong.

dhamster posted:

Most combos in GG rely on cancels, where you have to input a move's follow up before the move starts to recover. If the move doesn't connect, the followup won't come out. The window to performed cancels is pretty generous in GG, but as others mentioned there is a finite buffer limiting how early you can press stuff. Try not to mash and delay your button presses a little bit in the string to get a feel for the timing.

Also, some combos rely on links, where you need to wait until a move completely finishes recovering to start inputting the next one. Those are usually in more advanced combos (or in specific characters' kits)

Also this is super useful to know, thanks. As for what combos I'm working on, I'm just trying to get a hang on Sol's slash-heavy-gun flame setup. I keep whiffing the gun flame.

hostess with the Moltres fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 10, 2018

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Thanks for the help everyone. It's definitely one of those things where practice is important but it helps to know what I've been doing wrong.

There's a James Chen series called something like Xrd execution or something that's extremely good. It's like twenty videos long but the ones on how jump cancels actually work and how to properly do chain combos and defend myself pretty much taught me how to play anime.

This is one of the later videos, but they're really good and I highly recommend them if you're starting out personally

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZhRmykoS2A

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Elvis_Maximus posted:

This was probably the hardest part of anime games for me. It feels like you should be entering every command ASAP because all your buttons cancel into other buttons but there are a lot of combos that actively won't work if you press them too fast.

Same. Although in my case I can't find the middle ground that works; I either mash the combo out as fast as possible, or I do it too slowly and drop it. Or I drop it because going as fast as possible I'm still too slow :V

stratego
May 6, 2007

BlazBlue Cross Run Time Error is really bumming me out because I really did the dlc people.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Whoops

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Aug 12, 2018

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I'm confused.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I have no loving clue why posted this here but probably missclick the the thread

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
path of exile is the best anime fighting game, brightbeak shield charge is basically an airdash.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
so is the the UNIST thread even thought it doesn't have an airdash

rhetorical question

I gotta figure out who to play in this. I like Scion's moves but also was kinda feeling big fist robogirl + don't really wanna play a melty throwback because I'm weird and arbitrary.

I also will inevitably have a bunch of system questions but first I gotta figure out who's cool!!!!!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

CRISPYBABY posted:

so is the the UNIST thread even thought it doesn't have an airdash

rhetorical question

I gotta figure out who to play in this. I like Scion's moves but also was kinda feeling big fist robogirl + don't really wanna play a melty throwback because I'm weird and arbitrary.

I also will inevitably have a bunch of system questions but first I gotta figure out who's cool!!!!!

All the characters are cool so it's gonna take a while to find who you like.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

BlazBlue Centralfiction is 76% off on EU PSN. Is that a good entry for a newbie? for 12.99 eurobucks seems like a good price and I already have GG Xrd Rev (wich I really need to put more time). I'm a casual player and play either some couch 1v1 with friends or single player.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
BBCF is the latest one, so yes. It's a good game with a huge roster.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Examu says shark girl beta is coming out this year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-QEw6Kkmtg

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Nov 20, 2018

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Smoking Crow posted:

that is the best shark-anime-girl victory pose i have seen, and i've seen some shark-anime-girls, let me tell you that

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Smoking Crow posted:

Theyre lyign

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

What happened with Love Max Six Stars!!!!!!. The kickstarter seemed successful but after that, nothing. Was it one of those things where all of the audience that would've bought the game invested in the kickstarter, so on release there was no audience left to buy it?

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

FanaticalMilk posted:

What happened with Love Max Six Stars!!!!!!. The kickstarter seemed successful but after that, nothing. Was it one of those things where all of the audience that would've bought the game invested in the kickstarter, so on release there was no audience left to buy it?

the game came out and shark girl is soon

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It was a CIA psy-op and everyone who kickstarted is in federal prison.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
https://youtu.be/v-QEw6Kkmtg

Examu is cool dudes.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

welp. guess i'm on a watchlist now. thanks, bro.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Doesn't count if it's a fish.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
lol what, Arcana Heart is like the least creepy anime game ever.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Ryoga posted:

lol what, Arcana Heart is like the least creepy anime game ever.

yeah theres nothing weird about it or anything

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zand posted:

yeah theres nothing weird about it or anything

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
I bet the Splatoon thread would take issue to shark girl