Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?

:siren:Early Access is on Steam right now.

Welcome to Osiris: New Dawn, the new early-access title from Fenix Fire Entertainment. They describe the whole thing as an open world, multiplayer, survival game. Mankind has just discovered a way to travel faster than light, but poo poo went wrong. You (and your friends if you are playing this game right) are stranded somewhere, cut off from everything you know. Luckily you’re the descendant of Mark Watney and Bear Grylls.

Think of No Man’s Sky. Remember how the focus of the technology and development time of that game went to creating a nearly infinite amount of semi-interesting planets you can visit to mine things with a laser. Remember how most of the gameplay was boring as soon as you got over the novelty of visiting a new planet.

Osiris’ focus is a bit more on it being a game. It keeps things close to your new home, but they have made that experience more dramatic and deep gameplay-wise. The game takes place in one system, with the starter planet being a bit like Mars. This planet is far from dead though:

You can carve out your own home on this alien world. You get to build your habitat and add to it how you see fit.

Construct your habitat:

Build vehicles:

Befriend andor murder the wildlife:

Honestly, the game is meant to be played multiplayer. The two factions on the public servers are meant to gently caress with each other. Private servers are customizeable.

The start of your little Survivorman: Mars episode is pretty slow if you try to do it solo. The game’s only been available for a week or so, but I’ve gleaned a few things in my time tinkering with things.

Here’s a couple tips to get you started:

-The only class available right now is the Scientist. He starts with a personal assistant bot
The “Follow” and “Patrol and Mine” commands are especially useful for early game. You have a weight limit on how many space rocks you can carry on your person. Your robot has no such limitation. Use the “Follow” command to make his rear end as a pack mule and get that initial bunch of metals to create your first depository and forge.
After you start making long distance trips to get those more unobtainable metals, use Patrol and Mine to have your bot collect the mundane stuff in your absence. He’ll automatically put the stuff he gets in a depository if you have one.

-You can pack up your starter Inflatable Dome and take it wherever. It only weighs 2 kg. The really aggressive creatures come out at night, so it’s handy to have on long trips.

-Beacons and flags are some of the most useful early items. If you have the resources to create a bunch of them, do it. Mark the resources you’ll need to come back to (looking at you, gas geysers). The planet is big. Really big.

-Many of the space monsters can climb walls and ceilings. If you go caving, do look up to make sure you aren’t about to be eaten.

-Worms mostly inhabit craters. They also lose interest pretty quickly once you dodge one of their attacks. I guess they don’t corner too well.

As I said, this game is early access and has only been out for a week, so my experience is limited. It’s also hard to find guides that even go over the basics. If anyone else has any tips for players let me know, and I’ll add them to the OP.

Screenshots. The game looks pretty good, if a bit unpolished. These are from my PC that’s pretty much a budget gaming machine:

Elpato fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Oct 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

Reserved for Goon usernames, groups, voice and private game server info.

Orv
May 4, 2011
This is way too early to be recommending until they can actually prove they can do what they promise with their two man studio.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I haven't played enough to give the whole thing an up or down vote. It's early access AF, but I've had fun messing around with it so far.

It reminds me a bit of ARK back before its releasemany updates.

Elpato fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 7, 2016

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm

Elpato posted:

I haven't played enough to give the whole thing an up or down vote. It's early access AF, but I've had fun messing around with it so far.

It reminds me a bit of ARK back before its releasemany updates.

This.

Content is super limited/bugged but I've enjoyed the ~10 hours i've played. Built everything there was but i won't be touching it again until they release new stuff and add some sort of quest/endgame system.

Hope this turns out good because theres potential.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

I hope this doesn't suck because I like the setting. I almost wish it wasn't set on an alien planet, and was instead set on mars.

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm
I think Mars would be pretty bare.

Being on a fantasy planet gives the opportunity to add flora and the aliens are pretty cool imho. Theres currently no craftable light sources save your flashlight, the nights are pitch black and the creatures become super aggressive. It adds a tension element and i like it.

That being said you can customize your private server to 0 lifeform and the devs announced multiple planets ( you can already go in space with a craftable spacecraft) so they might make a mars-like planet.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

Hard posted:

I think Mars would be pretty bare.

Being on a fantasy planet gives the opportunity to add flora and the aliens are pretty cool imho. Theres currently no craftable light sources save your flashlight, the nights are pitch black and the creatures become super aggressive. It adds a tension element and i like it.

That being said you can customize your private server to 0 lifeform and the devs announced multiple planets ( you can already go in space with a craftable spacecraft) so they might make a mars-like planet.

Yeah, night time and caving are pretty darn tense. Right now you can get pretty safe by jetting to the top of our habitat to pistol all the smaller night-time swarmers to death, but being outside hunting for materials at night is pretty much a death sentence unless you have a lot of assault rifle ammo.

I for one am hoping they make a planet with more environmental hazards as opposed to alien life. Gravitational anomalies, crazy tides, volcanic activity, etc.

Also, I hope they tweak the early game to not be so grindy when it comes to the amount of resources and walking to find said resources. I humped it all over the drat planet before I got enough resources to get more "comfortable" in my gathering process. Maybe my particular map/starting area was just super sparse on gases, because they were a bitch to find and gather.

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm
Yeah i had set my private server to x5 mats gathering. Regular x1 would have been down right silly. Especially with gasses as you mentioned and when you have to craft plastic.. Carrying 12 canisters, having to equip them individually and it requires endless runs.. ugh.

Hard fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Oct 8, 2016

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
this looks cool but it certainly needs more fleshing out

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

Hard posted:

Yeah i had set my private server to x5 mats gathering. Regular x1 would have been down right silly. Especially with gasses as you mentioned and when you have to craft plastic.. Carrying 12 canisters, having to equip them individually and it requires endless runs.. ugh.

Yeah the more I think about it, the more I think they don't intend for people to play on vanilla mode solo. Multiple people with good coordination can gather this stuff pretty well to build the hab, but it feels awful solo. Could be a faction/colony pvp balance thing they don't just come out and say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm
Update! :eng101:
Server Wipe :eng99:

http://store.steampowered.com/news/?appids=402710

quote:

This patch is a big one for us and involves a server wipe. We hopefully will not need to do this very often. Only when absolutely necessary. So let’s dive in!

NOTE - Single Player players should restart their character and world to ensure all the updates are realized.

Highlighted Updates:

Location based servers! We now have server location options to choose from to get the lowest ping. Choose from US West and East, EU, Canada, Europe, Asia, South America, Australia. Your servers should default to the ones with the lowest ping but feel free to choose any region.
We’ve migrated to more powerful servers. This should reduce the saving issues many have had.
Structure limits have been doubled on all servers!
PVE Servers added!
10 spawn locations with wide area spawn randomization - you won’t be spawning on top of each other anymore!
Gold now registers in Assualt Rifle Creation Recipe
Receive 80% of a structure’s resources when deconstructing it.
Vehicles, robots and structures are now destructible
Furniture is now destructible

A lot of ground work was also laid in the patch to include even more features very soon including structure degradation over time. This will help with the structure limits when implemented. If we find that people are still getting solid FPS we will raise the structure limits again!

Still not enough for me to restart and rebuild everything but i'm still monitoring the game!

e:
Oct 26th update:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/402710/discussions/0/305509857560140640/

quote:

Hey everyone,

Here are the patch notes for the latest build of the game. The world is now far more dangerous so be careful!

New Content:
Ground Turrets are now available for crafting
Added alloy rocks that yield various minerals when mined.
Improved Map system - Longitude and Latitude values now respond to direction
New Updated Hives - Added two new Hives (Caves) with new entrances and exits.
Hives now spawn creatures and are far more dangerous
Updated Mining Mechanics
New resolution support (5:4, 4:3, 3:2) - 1440X900, 1768X922, 1280X1024, 1600X1200, 3840X2160
Harvesting Spawns - Mining now has a chance to agitate underground aliens
Some aliens travel in packs and some will coordinate their attacks
Food now replenishes health and Alien Meat can be grilled at the Forge
New higher level creatures
Added nickname feature to Structures, Utilities, and Furniture (including Beacons)

Bug Fixes/Updates:
Saving/Single Player issues fixed
Online players will no longer show up in Single Player games
All structures with complete walls will now be pressurized
After dying, a timer has been added to show how long you have to recover dead body
Forge artwork implemented
Creatures now damage structures
Added damage ranges to weapons
Improved low health indications and warnings
Aliens guard Hive entrances
Entering vehicles while holding a barrel
Fixed worm rendering
Fixed jitter on Map
Improved weapon movement when player gets hit

Looking good :)

Hard fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Oct 27, 2016

• Locked thread