Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sout
Apr 24, 2014

Problem description: Forum titles, and all normal text in posts (not italicised) appears bold to me, this is only the case on this site and only on Chrome. It's really annoying to look at and I can't find a way to fix it. This doesn't happen for the BYOB font so I assume it's something to do with the specific font that SA uses.
e.g.

Attempted fixes: Enabled/disabled AdBlock Plus, no other extensions running.

Recent changes: None

Operating system: Windows 10

I have Googled and read the FAQ: I've googled around but haven't been able to fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Did this always happen or just recently?

I'd try reinstalling Chrome completely.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Zogo posted:

Did this always happen or just recently?

I'd try reinstalling Chrome completely.

I was just about to edit the post to say I'd tried reinstalling Chrome, but I'm going to see if I can do it in a more thorough way.
It started happening seemingly randomly in the past few days or so.
edit: nope, complete uninstall w/ regedit and it's still the same
also Windows 10 won't allow me to set a default browser for some reason, not even Edge.

sout fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Oct 8, 2016

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

sout posted:

also Windows 10 won't allow me to set a default browser for some reason, not even Edge.

Not even through the default applications option dialog (Settings->System->Default applications)? You should be even able to reset them to default there.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Managed to change my default browser by changing by file type, but the font problem remains. It must be something to do with Chrome because it displays normally on other browsers.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Loads of people who report this problem claim to fix it by deleting Helvetica Neue Noir Italique but I don't even seem to have that font on my PC.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Sometimes strange font/text issues are related to video card drivers but I'm skeptical since this is a very isolated issue.

Running http://www.wagnardmobile.com/?q=display-driver-uninstaller-ddu- and then installing the latest GPU drivers would be an option.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Well, I've now noticed the same bold font on https://giantbomb.com on both Chrome and Edge (the W10 internet explorer)
Unless someone can confirm this is what the supposed to look like (the description text for videos on the home page linked above)

I opened the site on my phone and it doesn't seem like it's supposed to be bold like that so I think that means this is not just limited to SA.
Will try the graphics card driver reinstall tomorrow, but yeah I don't know if that will be what fixes it.
e: yeah the GB forums have the same problem.

sout fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 10, 2016

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Yeah, that's a nope on the GPU driver being the issue.
The good news is I've gotten used to it now I guess but I'll keep looking for fixes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sout
Apr 24, 2014

e: whatever it was, I've managed to disable it by using custom css with a chrome extension for the roboto font
also installing a roboto font pack seemed to fix the problem everywhere, good stuff.

sout fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Oct 15, 2016

• Locked thread