Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Applebees Appetizer posted:

The bullshit in NY effectively pushed us back to FL. We were ready to put cash on a relatively cheap house until we saw the yearly taxes and said gently caress that poo poo. I honestly don't know how people manage to afford to live there, especially as a home owner.

We moved to Upstate for work and we paid less for our current house than our condo in MA, but our mortgage is a good deal higher because Taxes. I don't get why everyone calls MA Taxachusetts, NYS has them beat by a mile.

School and property taxes for my house run me around 5k a year. One of the houses we were looking at in a different county had them at 9k a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
have I said Newburgh cops are the worst yet?

I'd rather get pulled over by the angriest State Trooper on 84 than deal with a Newburgh cop

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

beep-beep car is go posted:

We moved to Upstate for work and we paid less for our current house than our condo in MA, but our mortgage is a good deal higher because Taxes. I don't get why everyone calls MA Taxachusetts, NYS has them beat by a mile.

School and property taxes for my house run me around 5k a year. One of the houses we were looking at in a different county had them at 9k a year.

And they keep going up every year. The small town my wife is from looks like a ghetto because people are reluctant to paint their houses in fear of an assessment and consequent tax increase. So most of the houses are all grey from not being painted in decades. I can't imagine being retired on a fixed income and struggling to pay property taxes each year, then worrying every time there's an increase whether you can afford it or not.

Insurance costs can be a problem down here, but at least after you pay off your house you can tell insurance companies to gently caress off.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I can't imagine not having insurance on a house though. :stare:

Is a 65+ exemption not a thing outside of TX?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Do speeding tickets also affect your insurance rates?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Hire a lawyer, and yeah, that's what my ticket looked like when I got one on i88 in NY. Dunno why they do it that way, it's NY and they are the center of the universe I guess.

"head injury surcharge" was $300, lawyer was $300 and coincidentally told me he could totally definitely get that part thrown out at least. I told him to do whatever he could and ended up getting hit with a $150 "parking on the pavement" ticket or something that they knew wasn't considered a moving violation in mass so it wouldn't hit my insurance.

Lesson not learned, I did it again a few years later on i684 and that time, the cop asked me if I had ever been convicted of speeding in NY (:angel: nope! :angel:) so he just wrote me a $180 "parking on the pavement" ticket after verifying my record and cut me loose. I keep it to speed of traffic these days... even in my home state, actually.

Also, if you had been driving a RED 1988 JEEP COMANCHE you would have gotten deathwobble at 55 and been unable to go on the highway, so this wouldn't have happened.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I can't imagine not having insurance on a house though. :stare:

Is a 65+ exemption not a thing outside of TX?

Well down here it's the wind/flood (hurricane) insurance that's crazy. If you own the house you can customize your policy to not include it, or just do like a lot of people do around here and put money the money into an account and build up your own insurance policy.

If a major hurricane hits FL and completely destroys multiple cities chances are insurance isn't gonna pay out anyway so why bother giving them the money unless you have to.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
As a New Yorker (unfortunately), in my limited experience I've found two things with regard to traffic tickets in this awful state. One: local cops are awful. Two: state troopers are actually pretty cool (or at least, transparent). In this state, I've only ever been hit with a bullshit ticket by local police. In contrast to that, I've been pulled over several times by state troopers (and only on local roads) but I've never been ticketed by one. It's pretty obvious that they are mainly interested in ticketing those vehicles going way too fast and/or driving like assholes. It's worth pointing out that I have a quick, loud-ish car with a window tint that is way too dark (and which I have been admittedly too lazy to remove), but I drive like a grandma. I've sped past plenty of state troopers on highways; they don't care because that's just what traffic is doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
The thing about New York cops is while our local cops are colossal shitheads, they aren't on the same level of the worst local cops in the country. On the other hand, like Naked Bear said, the State Troopers are at worst a stone faced by the book person or at best some of the best cops anywhere. I've even heard of dudes who get in standoffs with the local cops having just the demand of "I'll come out when the Troopers get here".

They will bust the poo poo out of you though. They are "cool" but in the same way Dredd is cool.

• Locked thread