Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007
Problem description: Lately I seem to keep tripping my motherboard's surge protection. It usually happens if I have a game running + have a video of some kind in the background, but sometimes even if I just have a game running with pandora or something playing. I want to know if my power supply is just too weak for what i'm running, if it's that the protection is faulty, if my PSU is faulty, or something else.

Attempted fixes: I've tried switching around the plugs on my machine, thinking that i'm overloading an outlet as unlikely as that is, but that didn't solve anything.

Recent changes: When it first started I took that opportunity to clean out my computer and put in a better cooler, was running the stock before.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 64 bit

System specs:
Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
be quiet! PURE ROCK 51.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Asus Z97-E ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB Kit (2x4GB) 1600MHz DDR3 CL10 DIMM
Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card
EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes. I saw some say that the anti-surge trip is too sensitive but i'm not super willing to just try without it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
How long have you been running this machine/psu, and how long has the surge tripping been happening?

Is there another room you're able to test the computer in, to help rule out faulty wiring? (no grounding :supaburn:)

Your power supply should be adequate for the components you're using, unless you're running a very strong overclock.

Head into your BIOS UEFI and check the 12v, 5v and 3.3v rail levels, make sure they're +/-5% of the ideal voltage. (if it starts you in EZ mode, press f7 to get to advanced mode, voltages should be on the bottom right)

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007
The machine is pretty new, put together in January. I got each part at the same time. The surges started about a month ago but stopped for a few weeks.

While I can't really test it in another room I have two pcs in this house with the exact same parts. One is in the same room as me and another is in a different room. Both users are about as heavy as I am (same kind of usage, none of us have overclocked) and they havn't had surge issues.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

You could check the bios, I'm no 100% sure on the correctness of the info there, you would think it would be correct but who the gently caress knows.

Having the same computers in the house makes your life slightly easier, I'd pull the PSU from one of their machines and test it in yours.

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007
e: whoops nah I was totally wrong and it didn't fix. I finally had a chance to switch out power supplies and that does seem to have made it stop, so faulty power supply was the answer. I've ordered a new one. Thanks for the help.

Spinning Robo fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 28, 2016

• Locked thread