Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
Problem description:
I got home, hit the space bar to wake up my computer from sleep and went to type something. Nothing was showing up on the screen when I typed so I disconnected and reconnected the keyboard (old PS/2 port) and it still wasn't working. I tried a PS/2 to USB adapter and it started working again. The computer really slowed down after this, taking a few seconds for what I typed to show up. I then got a BSOD and shut off the computer. When I tried to turn it back on, nothing happened. The motherboard green light is on, but nothing happens when I hit the power button.

Attempted fixes: What have you tried to do to resolve the problem?
I tried going straight to the wall instead of through my surge protector. I did the PSU fan test and the fan started spinning, which is supposed to mean the PSU works.

Recent changes: Have you made any changes to your system/configuration recently that might have caused the problem?
No
--

Operating system:
Windows 7 Pro

System specs:
Intel i5 2.4 quad.
Asus LGA 1156
Corsair TX 650w PSU
Nvidia GFX card
8GB Gskill Ripjaw RAM

USA

I have Googled and read the FAQ:
Yes. I wasn't sure if there is anything else I can test my motherboard with before declaring it or the PSU dead. I don't have spares of either. I'm trying to see if any friends have a PSU I can borrow just to see if that is the issue.

dms666 fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

I found a multimeter and tested all of the pins on the PSU and they are showing what they should (12v, 5v, 3.3v). So maybe it is the motherboard then?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

It's a decent bet that the motherboard died or it's possible the PSU is failing. I'd disconnect all non-essential peripherals (drives etc.) and see if it POSTs.

dms666 posted:

I found a multimeter and tested all of the pins on the PSU and they are showing what they should (12v, 5v, 3.3v). So maybe it is the motherboard then?

That means the PSU is probably working and not completely dead. No way to be 100% sure without trying another PSU though.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

Zogo posted:

It's a decent bet that the motherboard died or it's possible the PSU is failing. I'd disconnect all non-essential peripherals (drives etc.) and see if it POSTs.

That means the PSU is probably working and not completely dead. No way to be 100% sure without trying another PSU though.

The only things I have plugged in are the 24 pin connector and the ATV 12V plug, it still doesn't do anything.

I'm borrowing a PSU this weekend to try.

• Locked thread