Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

STAC Goat posted:

That's what made Valencia the "villain" in S1 because she was actively hostile to Rebecca and inconsiderate to Josh.
Valencia was never a villain. She was hostile to Rebecca for good reason, and Josh is a fuckwit.

STAC Goat posted:

In comparison Josh was inconsiderate to her but his behavior played more as cowardice and ignorance than genuine malice.
I'd say it wasn't any of those things, it was just laziness and lack of responsibility. He was letting Valencia push him around because that let him blame her for everything and meant he never had to take any kind of initiative.

STAC Goat posted:

That's the main difference between this and shows like Always Sunny or Seinfeld. Those shows have people who actively hurt others and are either indifferent to it or take joy in it. THOSE are bad people.
There's more than one way to be bad person.

STAC Goat posted:

The people in Crazy Ex Girlfriend aren't bad, they're just broken. And at the very least they generally feel guilt when they hurt someone. Rebecca pushes that when she's actively hurting or manipulating people, though.
Paula is far, far worse.

STAC Goat posted:

And they end it with her intent on ruining him, which is slightly troubling.
Worse than all the stuff she and Paula did in season one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I didn't like Paula at all for most of Season 1. She was a bored person (and kind of a neglectful wife and mother) who was screwing with strangers' lives to live vicariously through a relative stranger. Eventually she grew as a character and even recognized what she was doing and made an effort to stop and grow. That's pretty much when I started to like her.

Valencia did something similar but she started very much as the "villain" of the show. Yes, she had a good reason to dislike Rebecca but she was presented as cruel to Rebecca from the start and cruel to everyone else. Everyone dislikes her and she even has a musical number to show how insulting and rude to people she is. And while Josh sucks (I hate Josh) it doesn't really make it ok to treat him badly or neglect his feelings.

But then they start to flip perspective on that, show us her insecurities, show us how Josh has hurt her in the relationship, and most importantly she starts to realize these things and change. That's what the show does really well. Show us the bad side of a character and then unveil the insecurities and issues that got them there and watch as they grow as people. We've seen it with Valencia, Paula, Greg, Heather, Darryl, and even Josh.

The seesaw of the show is that they never make that move with Rebecca. She's always very up and down as sympathetic or villainous. Its the foundation of the show and its a tough balance to walk. They've done it successfully for the most part so I'm more than happy to wait and see if they can keep doing it, but the thing that makes it feel a little "perilous" at the end of S2 is probably that she comes so close to growing as a person but then takes a sharp turn in the wrong direction, cheated on Josh, manipulated him some more into a shotgun marriage, and then vowed revenge when he largely justifiably freaked out and backed out.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

She didn't cheat on Josh, she kissed a guy in an elevator. If kissing dudes in elevators is cheating, then me and the entire 13th Floor Makeout Club are in big trouble.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

We Tapped that rear end as in we chose the song that is rear end

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's the best song in the final 4 tho

Sinistral
Jan 2, 2013
We Tapped that rear end is just 'OK' but at least it is better than Devil Winds.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
The puns are simply horrible and that is why I love it. :haw:

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Devil Winds is the best song. Period.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Devil Winds doesn't have two polterguys tap dancing on a giant rear end.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
This is like the election all over again.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Except this time we got it right.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Ooh! Are we messing with Adora?

I voted for We Tapped That rear end, because Rebecca reacting to everything was great.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Holy poo poo, I know this got knocked out quick from the poll, but Let's Have Intercourse is great. I hadn't known the music video is almost the same as Ed Sheeran's Thinking Out Loud; there's a public access channel in my area that plays solely music videos and when it came out, I almost spit out my lemonade thinking they were playing Let's Have Intercourse.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Also it gave us the best Valentine's Day Card:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Very important news, everyone!

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Ah, not surprised they're making the Greg-replacement a regular.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

I love WhiJo, that's great news.

Also hi everyone I loving love this show and don't know why I didn't look for the thread for it!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Speaking of White Josh, CBS Put up the FYC, and what do you do when you don't have Vella Lovell and need to perform Friendtopia?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDGG7RWQ3tU

Other songs:
You're My Best Friend
Patrick
Ping Pong Girl (ft. Pete Gardner and David Hull)
Maybe This Dream
poo poo Show (sung by Rachel Bloom)
Remember that We Suffered (sung by the entire main cast sans Vella.)
Intercourse

Here's just a video of Aline and Rachel talking about the show:
https://youtu.be/4S8VCNRTgH

Senerio fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 7, 2017

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Been micro-binging this for a few months. drat fine poo poo, even if season 1 dragged on for episodes longer than necessary. I really wouldn't have minded if they made the season 2 finale the end though. I was quite enjoying the brief peek at the grim reality of the situation and it felt like a good place to close, I hope season 3 has a lot more of that.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
Since the thread's been active, it was announced that Rachel Bloom is writing a book, set to release Spring 2019.

She also made a song/music video named Lady Boss for Vanity Fair.

Also she appears on the Bill Nye Netflix show in some fashion but I haven't watched that.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

obliriovrons posted:

Also she appears on the Bill Nye Netflix show in some fashion but I haven't watched that.

You lucky, lucky fucker.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

She's also writing a song for, and guest starring in, an episode of the Simpsons next year.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

And don't anyone forget the Superfriends song she did for the musical flash supergirl crossover

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
Josh Chan was in Designated Survivor as a Congressman in a suit, and I laughed at the screen shots.

• Locked thread