Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Is there any stormtroopers on the map or going to be coming as reinforcements, if there is I would like to claim a stormtrooper chit if not can I claim the Italian tank?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

koolkevz666 posted:

Is there any stormtroopers on the map or going to be coming as reinforcements, if there is I would like to claim a stormtrooper chit if not can I claim the Italian tank?

Only (armor) leaders can be claimed, and there won't be any reinforcements for the Germans this turn, they've already all made it on the board.

I can give you a German or Hungarian leader or the German Armored Leader. I always give the best one (as first come first serve) unless you specifically choose something like a 6+1 or something.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Only (armor) leaders can be claimed, and there won't be any reinforcements for the Germans this turn, they've already all made it on the board.

I can give you a German or Hungarian leader or the German Armored Leader. I always give the best one (as first come first serve) unless you specifically choose something like a 6+1 or something.

I'll take the German Armored Leader. No chance he called be called "Lieutenant Gruber and his little tank" is there?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

koolkevz666 posted:

I'll take the German Armored Leader. No chance he called be called "Lieutenant Gruber and his little tank" is there?

You can know him by that, but its a little long for me to remember, and much too long to be labelled on the counter :D

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

You can know him by that, but its a little long for me to remember, and much too long to be labelled on the counter :D

As long as you get reference then everything is all okay. (Now to watch my little tank get blown up or worse stolen :S )

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

koolkevz666 posted:

As long as you get reference then everything is all okay. (Now to watch my little tank get blown up or worse stolen :S )

This is why you shouldn't get out of your tank for a smoke break, some sneaky Russians might steal it for a joyride!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I think I might do a short playthrough of a desert scenario just to fill in some breaks in the action and keep this thread lively, unless Jobbo has any objections.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

COOL CORN posted:

I think I might do a short playthrough of a desert scenario just to fill in some breaks in the action and keep this thread lively, unless Jobbo has any objections.

As long as its about ASL, I don't mind :)

And yeah, turns have been slow to produce due to the vastly increased size from the original scenario (even though its just the 2nd day!) and the busy nature of the upcoming holidays.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Instead of a desert scenario, I'm going to be doing some Battle of the Bulge scenarios, because 'tis the season!

First up is TOT001 - Take Ten! from Kinetic Energy's Time On Target packs.

quote:

Krewinkel, Belgium, 16 December 1944: In December of 1944, the 14th Cavalry Group under Colonel Mark Devine was tasked with holding a section of the "Ghost Front", just north of the Schnee Eifel in a feature known as the Losheim Gap. The 18th Cavalry Recon Squadron was positioned in the villages of Afst, Krewinkel, Roth, Kobscheid, Weckerath, and Manderfeld. Normally tasked with gathering information, the cavalrymen were somewhat out of their element in a positional defense, especially since the requirements of the situation called for them to be dismounted. However, they rose to the occasion and constructed well-protected, heavily-camouflaged fighting positions and armed them with their vehicular heavy weapons, ready to face any threat. At 0530 hours on Saturday, 16 December, that threat materialized in the form of an artillery bombardment. At approximately 0600 hours, the shelling ceased. The Americans at Krewinkel, having suffered no casualties, silently held their positions. Suddenly - with searchlights shining in the low-hanging cloud cover creating an eerie nighttime illumination - a group of German infantry approached in columns of four, laughing and talking, apparently unaware of the presence of the cavalrymen.

There's a lot going on here. First off, here's the map.

You'll notice some things immediately. First off, Ground Snow is in effect, which will change some of the movement and visibility mechanics. But more importantly, you may notice how dim everything looks. That's because this is ... *cue ominous music*... a NIGHT scenario. Don't worry, I'm scared too. This will be the first night scenario I've ever played, but we'll get through this together. It's actually not so bad in VASSAL because some of the LOS lighting and stuff is automatically drawn for you.

AMERICANS: Elements of 2nd Platoon, C Troop, 18th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron
(will set up anywhere on the bottom map, or the lower four hexrows of the top map)
8x [3-4-6] 1st line halfsquads
1x [8-1] leader
2x [8-0] leader
1x [8-16] HMG
3x [4-10] MMG
1x 60mm MTR
1x Jeep AFV
6x Foxholes (that, per scenario instructions, each come with one barbed wire)

Elements of Troop Headquarters, C Troop
(will enter on turn 5 from the bottom)
1x [6-6-6] 1st line squad
1x [1-4-9] hero
1x M8 AFV
1x M3A1 AFV

The Americans are weak in power, but have some vehicles, which will help immensely.

GERMANS: Elements of Fallschirmjäger Division 3:
(enter in column stacks on turn 1 via the top edge)
20x(!) [4-4-7] 2nd line squads
1x [9-1] leader
1x [8-1] leader
1x [8-0] leader
2x [7-0] leaders
4x [3-8] LMG
2x PSK (Panzerschrecks)

The Germans have a lot more firepower, BUT they have to stay in column formation for two turns, AND they have night rules to deal with, which means the defenders (Americans) have a lot more survivability.

Game Length: 8.5 turns
Victory Conditions:
Americans win if they amass 30+ Casualty VPs
Germans win if they control 7+ buildings and foxholes within the American set up area by the end of the game

According to online sources, the Germans are HEAVILY favored to win this one, so I'm going to be giving the Americans the handicap. For this scenario, the American Balance is "Battle Harden all American MMC". So, all of those 1st line half squads and squad will turn into Elites instead. That should help!

Anyway, I'm really excited to play this. I love wintery scenarios, and I've been itching to play something with night rules. I'll probably learn and read the night rules in the next few days and it start the game this week. If anyone wants to claim a leader or vehicle, just let me know.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Is the map supposed to be upside down like that? Also GO C TROOP CAV!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

COOL CORN posted:

Instead of a desert scenario, I'm going to be doing some Battle of the Bulge scenarios, because 'tis the season!

What a swerve!

Claiming the American Hero

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Also, can't wait to see jitter fire :D

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Put me down for a German leader please.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Davin Valkri posted:

Is the map supposed to be upside down like that? Also GO C TROOP CAV!

Doesn't have to be, I just flipped it the wrong way when making the example board. I'll do it the opposite way when I make the actual game setup.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Also, can't wait to see jitter fire :D
I feel like playing a night scenario is going to be such a great PbF narrative because of things like units getting lost and jitter fire.

unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003
Can I be an American Leader also please?

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
I'll take a Panzerschreck please,

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

I wanna be the M8

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Take Ten! - Turn 1

Here's where we stand at the end of Turn 1 (both the German and American first turns)

There's a lot to explain here, even though almost nothing has happened.

Night rules!

The rules for this scenario define the NVR (night vision range) as 6. That means that units can only see up to 6 hexes away in normal light. That could go up or down in future turns! On top of this, if a unit shoots, their location is visible no matter how far away they are (this is called a Gunflash), and units can also fire Starshells to illuminate locations. More on those rules if/when they come up.

Setup rules - the attacker (Germans) all come in under "cloak" counters. Each of those stacks has 2 cloaked counters, but each cloaked counter can represent any number of units/weapons (within stacking limits)! So a single blue "?" cloak counter could represent a squad, or it could represent 3 squads all with machine guns and a leader with them. Who knows!
As for the defender (Americans), they get to set up 25% of their forces hidden, not even on the map at all. We'll see those guys when they pop up. Also, the foxholes and wire that the Americans get set up hidden. ALSO, all of their units set up concealed ("?" markers on top). ALSO, they get a number of dummy "?" markers equal to the number of full-squad-equivalents they have (which is 2 in this case). So one of those "?" stacks isn't even a real unit.
The defender also has "No Move" markers under each of their stacks. The Americans are frozen in place until they see a German, basically. So the action for the first few turns will be slow, but i'll ramp up.

Finally, the Germans have to enter using Column Movement, and have a scenario rule that it has to be 1-2 columns, with each hex having 2+ squads. So, I have two Columns entering here. They have to move as a group, basically like a snake. The first column, the red group, are going to snake up the left side of the map (Columns can't enter woods or building hexes) and bum rush that lone stack on the left. The purple column is going to snake up the right side of the map and hopefully attract the attention of the units up top, so the red group can pincer them.

So that's where we are at the beginning of the scenario! Like I said, nothing has really happened yet, but hopefully you can follow what's going on, and please ask questions if you have any :)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Take Ten! - Turn 2

I forgot to turn off the lights last time, whoops.
The Germans continue their advance up the sides of the map.

When the right column got up the road a bit, a stack of unicr0n, a halfsquad with a mortar, and a halfsquad popped out of hiding! They fired at the open and vulnerable Germans, but to no result. This disbanded the German column, freeing them up for movement. The squad up in EE9 also fired, losing their concealment.

Then, during the Advancing Fire Phase, the Germans unleashed holy hell on the units in FF2, which turned out to be under a foxhole and wire. One halfsquad was eliminated, and the other was broken. unicr0n remained fine, hiding in the foxhole while his buddies were shot up. All the firing caused the Germans to lose their cloaking.

During the American turn, not much happened. More shots were made, but no more results were had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Not dead, but getting sick right after the holidays started to settle down really put me off of ASL.

Will try to get back into the swing of things next week.

• Locked thread