Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

What a trip! The past two weeks since... The Event... have been a complete blur. You've moved to the city, officially been sworn in as junior representatives of the League of Justice, and, oh right, got roped into Callie's reality TV series now airing on Disney. That's definitely been a change, right? How are you adjusting to the publicity? People definitely recognize you on the streets now. I hear talk of merchandise lines. Corporate sponsorships, perhaps?

Wow. Sounds like you've hit the big time, Justice Friends.

---

Alarms ring throughout the base as "JUSTICE FRIENDS ASSEMBLE!" echoes over the PA system. A large screen comes on in the main briefing room showing a mysterious scythe-wielding biker rampaging through the streets of Halcyon City. The integrated database searches all known villains -- and comes up blank. Just great. No League intel on this one. The League is out of town on one of their global missions -- subterraneans are invading Peru. It looks like it's all up to you. No pressure!

Everyone: What have you been up to over the past two weeks? This has been a big change. How are you doing with it all? Do you miss Summitview? What the hell are you going to do about this biker? They seem a bit, uh, more powerful than your average Summitview villain. Any concerns?

Sparrow: What did Mockingbird make of all this? What advice did she give you before you moved to the city?

Callie: It's like a dream come true, right? This is all so cool! How great has it been working with Disney? Do you think everyone is cut out to live in the spotlight? What weird demand are your producers making on how you fight this villain?

Manitou: Wow. I bet it's been rough keeping yourself out of the limelight with all this newfound attention. What does your routine look like these days?

El Diablo: You've officially made the switch from watching TV to being on TV. How does it feel? Any cool new experiences in the city?

Bombshell: How have you been coping with the stresses of reality TV? It's really important to Callie, right? Does anything about this biker strike you as familiar?

And, of course, once you get to the scene... What do you do?

OOC Thread
Influence Sheet

Tricky fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Oct 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Freak +1 | Danger -1 | Savior +1 | Superior +2 | Mundane 0
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions:

The past two weeks have been like, the coolest thing ever!!!!!!!!!! Like oh my gosh, I'm living in a cool place with awesome stuff and it's even better than I imagined. So like, as soon as I got all my stuff moved in, I was like, hey, Callie, lets go for a walk, and look around! So I like, went for a walk, to go and see my new home! And well, I was kinda hungry! So what would you know, but that after like twenty minutes of walking, I'd basically walked past every kind of food I'd even heard of - and a few I hadn't heard of! I have never seen anything so cool and like, diverse as here, like I just walk down the street and it's like, everyone's around and it's so cool like a ton of different kinds of people! I've only ever been to the city once before so it's so, so awesome.

I'm trying to get my Mom to come with me, but she said that she would only move to the city if I could find her a nice house - an actual house - with a yard big enough for at least two dogs, to make up for me leaving her nest empty! So I'm like, okay Mom! I'll get that house for you, once the checks start coming in when episodes start airing. I still can't believe the amount the network is giving us - on top of the League's funding, too. I mean, I'm technically not allowed to name hard numbers, but lets just say that even split five ways between all of us, two or three months of it will... well, be more than my mother makes in a year.

Honestly, I'm a little overwhelmed by it all - Summitview was uhm, much, much simpler. If I wanted to go eat, there was Pops, or Bennie's, or Raul's, an all of them were tasty. And I mean, I didn't eat out much because of the whole 'lack of money' thing, so that was part of it too. Now I have all this money and I just don't know what I'm even going to do with it? I mean, obviously clothes and all that because I mean, I have to look good if I'm going to be on TV and all, but I wont spend that much. I'm considering putting away part of it for a year or two, and then maybe running a contest for fans of the show, so they can win like, college money or something. I dunno for sure.

Regardless, we have a job to do - getting suited up is easy when my costume's mostly just throwing on sparkly jackets and pants instead of a skirt, so I'm ready in a flash. I had to remember what the producers asked us for - a good moment of heroism from every member of the team, something that they could use to promote the show's first episode. Especially if we could use teamwork to display our great chemistry too. The first one seemed easy enough - we are all heroes to be heroes, and want to take heroic actions. The latter... well, mine and Sparrow's powers worked very well together, but we weren't exactly a team designed for powerful synergies.

Regardless - this biker seemed to mean business, and that means they looked like, as you might say, a tough customer. Which meant that as we headed to the scene, I wanted to make up a nice plan for what to do. "Okay, we're having some... info issues, but that's not a problem. Mannie, do you think your plants will be able to stop the bike? We need to get them off it, so we can be sure they don't accidentally crash or send it into civilians or something. I want us all to be careful about it though - that scythe doesn't look good, and I don't want any of you rushing in to get hurt." It was weird, giving speeches and being the leader, knowing that now it wasn't just us up in Summitview, but that everything I said was being recorded for later.

I couldn't let it distract me though! We were arriving, and I needed to know what to do.

01:23 KittyEmpress time for this to start off badly and for callie to fail to assess the situation in post numero uno
01:23 KittyEmpress !r 2d6+2
01:23 Krysmbot KittyEmpress, 9+2 = 11
• what here can I use to disarm the biker?
• what here is in the greatest danger?

quote:

Name: Callie Spring
Hero Name: Spring
Look: Woman, White/Latina, Charming Smile, Preppy Clothing, Stylish Costume
Abilities: Pheromone Control

Labels

Freak +1
Danger -1
Savior +1
Superior +2
Mundane 0

Moves

Time for the Show:
When you put on a flamboyant display of your powers, roll+Superior. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7-9, hold 1. Spend your hold 1-for-1 to name an NPC present and choose one:

● This person must meet me
● This person loves me
● This person volunteers help or information
● This person admires my team
● This person must have my help

On a miss, your display catches someone watching in exactly the wrong way; brace yourself.

Voice of the Masses: When you rally your audience to a cause, roll+Superior. On a 10+, they follow your lead as long as your performance doesn't falter. On a 7-9, they take it too far or make stressful demands on you, GM's choice. On a miss, they take exactly the wrong message from your words.

Team Moves

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, say whether it's part of the show or not. If it is, then you can shift your Labels as you choose. If it is not, then they shift your Labels, and you can clear a condition or mark potential.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them if they will tell anyone the truth about you. If they agree to keep it a secret, clear a condition or mark potential. If they don't agree, then they shift your Labels according to how they see you now.

Moment of Truth
Sometimes it can be hard to tell where the show stops and where you begin—but not today. Not now. Because right now, there is no show. Right now, you are the thing you pretend to be—bold and bright and beautiful and amazing and powerful and confident. Right now, you draw strength from your audience, comfort from their belief in you, and you can do anything they think you can. Of course, after such an impassioned performance, your audience is just going to have even more demands...

When our team first came together…

We, as a team, attracted media attention within the city, thanks to our efforts. Who are they? Why do they support us?

Relationships

__________________ might wind up being more of a star than me some day.

Diablo would be a great sidekick.

Influence
Choose how you see the team: as a means to an end, or as something worthwhile on its own.

If you see the team as a means to an end, give no one Influence.
If you see the team as something worthwhile, give three teammates Influence.

Audience

You are a celebrity in the city—although being a celebrity doesn’t always mean you’re liked. By default, your audience is a limited group of interested fans, and you speak to them through after action interviews and infrequent press conferences.

Why does your audience love you? Mark all that apply.
You’re just like them
You’re noble warrior for justice
You're stunning, unique, and beautiful
You're charming, well-spoken, and smart

Choose two advantages:
You have a reality TV show following you
You have a dedicated internet following

Choose two demands your audience makes on you:
They require chemistry with your allies.
They require major acts of heroism.

When you seek help from your audience
, roll+Superior. On a hit, someone in your audience can hook you up. On a 10+, they'll only make a small demand. On a 7-9, their demands are a lot higher. On a miss, you've made a mistake, and your audience won't help you until you've redeemed yourself in their eyes.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"

I'm really start to dislike the city.

I had assumed that being out and about in the big city wouldn't be too much of a problem, I mean I handled it well enough in Summtview. But then it turns out that the more concentrated a lack of green spaces a place is, the more I feel the lethargy standing off of my native soil. So there were exactly two things I immediately spent time finding, local parks and the city's extensive underground network of subways, old tunnels and sewage pipes. I like to keep my movements hidden from plain sight and I like someone to plant my feet sometimes when I am on patrol. Thankfully when we were moved into our permanent accommodations it turned out to be a little town house outside of the city center itself, it would be ideal, it it weren't for the cameras everywhere.

I've tried my drat hardest to keeping to my promise of staying out of the limelight, but in the process of which it means that pretty much I have been spending all my time in the greenhouse we seem to have. And it's pretty big! Very organic, very good for you, grow bunch of food there and everything and it even teaches children the values of gardening and eating healthily that Callie has occasionally made use of, and because it's a reality TV show no one asks who does a lot of the gardening because who cares about the little details like that? Which means the cameras aren't rolling in that area most of the time. Which means I get free reign on all the plots and I have been growing anything and everything for us, well a natural font of nature magic and an affinity with plants has to be good for something right? It does wonders for my rhubarb I can tell you.

It's also technically where I live most of the time when I am not, 'out', and mostly in the pumpkin patch because it's really easy to hide among the pumpkins for some reason, can't imagine why

Well someone has to tend to the garden, and it's not like I have much of anything else to do. A bit of good soil, a touch of nature magic, and you get a bountiful and plentiful garden in an urban environment that also serves as a place where I can hide in plain sight. The cameras don't go where there's nothing that seems to be happening, so I make my own arrangements.

As of now in fact, now we seem to be dealing with this biker. Higher power then the people we are mostly used to up in Summitville? Yes defiantly even Sparrow would admit the most we seemed to encounter up in the mountains was around Low C to High D tier, and maybe one instance of a High C. But higher power then the likes of me, or Holly enough to be a serious concern? I doubt it, there's a reason why I am second on the Bombshell power-chart, the Manitou is very dangerous when riled and oh how easily it seems to get riled. So in my natural state of lurking in a dark alleyways waiting for evil doers as the biker burns rubber down the street, I hear the comms pipe up in my ear.

"Okay, we're having some... info issues, but that's not a problem. Mannie, do you think your plants will be able to stop the bike? We need to get them off it, so we can be sure they don't accidentally crash or send it into civilians or something. I want us all to be careful about it though - that scythe doesn't look good, and I don't want any of you rushing in to get hurt."

The Pumpkin grins in the dark, it lights up the alley way in an eerie orange glow. "Sure I'll get him off of the bike". She gave a desultory sprout a little grown juice and watched it slowly start to creep out of it's pod. Hmm, no the Biker is heading towards me, now if I was on soil I could grow this thing real quickly, but on concrete I'd have to juice it with all my own power, and it doesn't work like that. He'd either break right through it or I'd miss him before it grew out and neither of those would look very good now would it?

So taking the light of the objectives Callie had set for her, and the problems she would have with that plan, she improvised somewhat. She took a look at her gnarly treelike arm and willed it to grow in size and length, waiting very patiently until the sound of the approaching bicycle was getting close to her position. And then stuck her arm out suddenly into the road.

19:03 TheNabster Manitou going to Lariat that dude
19:03 TheNabster I think that's directly engage
19:03 Hugzilla yea
19:03 TheNabster !r 2d6+1
19:03 Krysmbot TheNabster, 11+1 = 12
19:03 Hugzilla nice
19:03 TheNabster Get hosed

>Resist/Avoid their blows
>Take away the biker's bike

A huge hand gripped the bike, bringing it to a sudden stop, but the biker was still technically moving very quickly. A sudden stop of a moving thing whilst another thing on it is moving very fast is an interesting observation of Newton's First Law in action, namely that an object in motion stays in motion unless acted on by an outside force.

This is why the bike stopped, but the Biker continued his rapid forward momentum, by flying off of the bike and hurtling down the street at an incredible velocity.

"Okay I stopped it" Said Makki into the team comms. "Now what?"

quote:

Name: Makkitotosimew Walker

Look: Woman, Indigenous, Strange Eyes, Mottled Flesh, No Costume

Abilities: Animal/Plant Affinity, Superhuman Senses, Inhuman Might

“I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees for the trees have no tongues.”

Labels

Freak +3
Danger +1
Savior +1
Superior -1
Mundane -1

Transformed Moves

Wish I could be: When you comfort or support someone, if you tell them what you most envy about them, you can roll + Freak instead of + Mundane.

Not human enough: When you directly engage a threat in a terrifying fashion, mark a condition to choose an additional option, even on a miss.

Be the monster: When you frighten, intimidate, or cow others with your monstrous form, roll + Freak. On a hit, they are thrown off and make themselves vulnerable to you, or they flee. On a 10+, choose one. On a 7-9, choose two.

- you frighten others you had not intended to scare
- you hurt someone or break something you shouldn’t have
- you feel like more of a monster afterward; mark a condition (GM’s choice)

On a miss, they react with violence, hatred, and paranoia, and you suffer the brunt of it.

When our team first came together...

We drew attention and ire from plenty during the fight. One important person in particular now hates and fears us. Who is it?

Relationships

___________________ comforted you when you were at your lowest.
___________________ knew you before you changed.

Influence

You try not to care what other people think, even if you can’t shut everyone out. Give Influence to one teammate.

Team Moves

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, clear one condition if they treat you like a perfectly normal person and mark potential if they praise your power or abilities.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them if they think you’re losing or gaining humanity. If they say losing, mark a condition and mark potential. If they say gaining, clear a condition and shift Mundane up and any other Label down.

Moment of Truth

It’s so easy to forget that you’re not your body, and you’re not the voice in your head you’re both. Be the monster, and save them anyway. Smash down walls, and speak softly. Because when you embrace it, you can do anything. Of course, putting on a display like this is sure to rile up those who see only the monster when they look at you…

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 17, 2016

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Fre: +0 | Dan: -1 | Sav: +2 | Sup: +2 | Mun: +0
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions:

Mother has told me much about city, but hearing of it is different than experiencing it. It is almost overwhelming. There are just so many things! So many people, so many restaurants to eat in, so many locations to visit, so many places to shop, and the comic book stores! They are the most wondrous things! There is one near where I live called "Halcyon Knights," and it is a place of wonder! They have shelves upon shelves of graphic novels, both old and new, and these things called "Long Boxes," storage boxes which contain all kinds of classic comics available for purchase, which occupy a whole section of the shop. I even managed to procure a copy of Plum Samurai #100, a copy which has long been evading my grasp! I visit the shop often, usually incognito as to not attract attention.

I am... not quiet used to the fame. I am used to people knowing me, and being (in)famous for my exploits back in Summitview, but this is different. Back there, everyone knew me as Robin, the girl who wanted to be a hero, and here, I am known as Sparrow, a member of the hit new reality television show, The Justice Friends (Which is an excellent name, as I have told Callie many times). A part of me would prefer that we would be known for our heroic exploits, but whatever doubts I might have are quickly quelled the moment I see how enthusiastic Callie is. I can see how much this all means to her, and that is enough for me.

Besides, it's not all that bad. There have been talks about merchandising, and I have taken this opportunity to talk to the producers about creating our own Image Songs! I even shared the ones I've made thus far, and they say they will get back to me, which I will take as a positive sign for my potential singing/hero career!

Still, even with the excitement of being in a city known for having some of the greatest heroes, it's hard not to be home sick. I miss Summitview. I miss greeting the people there, I miss all the hikes through the forest, I miss visiting the old couple at the antique shop, and I miss- I miss my mother.

I still remember my last day with my mother. I was expecting her to be her usual self, telling embarrassing stories of me or teasing me, never taking anything seriously, but... none of that happened. I found mother by the fireplace, staring at an old picture of her, Sarah, and me as a younger child, and she had this smile on her face, but it was a sad smile, and she looked like she was lost in thought. When she noticed me, she asked me if we could sit down and just... talk, for a while, and we did. We talked for hours, about the city, about my dreams, about Callie, and about the show. I thought mother would disapprove, but she was more excited about it than I was, and she told me how envious she was of me, and how much she wished she had a reality TV show about her when she was still a prominent thief.

We both laughed and smiled, but we couldn't escape this air of sadness surrounding us. It didn't matter if I wasn't her biological daughter, I was the only family she had, and it was clear she didn't want to let me go, but she knew I had to leave the nest eventually if I was to follow my own dreams. Near the end of our conversation, mother gave me a few parting gifts; things that would help me in my time Halcyon City. The first thing she gave me were a pair of earrings, just like hers, but the earrings have a secondary function; they can be used as communicators if I ever want to get in touch with her or Sarah. The other were access codes to her old base, which was a small room that had a map of the entire city, and documents of most heroes and places in and out of the city. She said if I ever needed a safe place to hide out, it would be there.

The final thing caught me by surprise. Mother told me to come to the back of the house, and what I found there was behind my wildest imaginations. It was her old motorcycle, The Needletail. Apparently her and Sarah spent the better part of the month restoring it, and giving it a new look, just for me. Mother threw me the keys, and told me it was mine now. I was speechless.

And that wasn't all! Sarah had outfitted the vehicle with it's own self-driving mechanism, so all I would have to do is press a button and it would arrive at my location. To say this was the best present I have ever received would be an understatement.

Mother and I exchanged a few parting words, and long hugs. I will never forget her final words before I left.

"Knock 'em dead, honey! You'll be a fantastic hero, I know it. Show the world how strong the Starling spirit is- and do it with style!"

--

The Needletail Mk. II handles like a dream. I'm grateful for all the driving lessons mother has given me now, even if I'm not sure if that is legal, considering I am not the legal driving age. Mother assures me that "legal driving age doesn't matter when you're a hero." I doubt the validity of that statement, but that doesn't matter now.

I keep close to the mysterious biker, making sure not to get to close to they're giant scythe. I need to wait for the right moment before I begin my attack.

My patience has been rewarded! Manitou has taken away the mystery villains vehicle, and sent them flying forward!

"Okay I stopped it" Said Makki into the team comms. "Now what?"

"Now?" I reply, "Now it is time to finish this fiend off!"

But first, I need to set the tone! I hit one of the many buttons on The Needletail, activating the speakers, and letting the music play for all to hear. Perfect. I grab one of the bags on my belt, and open it, letting all the (hand-made paper) cherry blossoms leaves inside fly out. Now I just need to use my wind powers to make the flowers circle around me. Yes! Everything is ready now!

I leap out of The Needletail, making sure I do a few flips as I do, and use the winds to keep me mid-air for a few seconds longer, "Evil one! Prepare yourself! For I, Sparrow, the Unbroken Lightning, shall be the one to give you your divine punishment!" I focus all my power on my fist, building up as much lightning energy as I can. Yes, this is the right amount. Now it is time to show them what a real hero looks like! "LIGHTNING SMASH!" I yell, as I jab my fist forward, and send a ball of lightning energy directly towards the mystery villain.

Finally! All those hours of practice have paid off, and not a single mistake has been made!

quote:

<Hugzilla> Engaging the flying biker
<Hugzilla> !r 2d6-1
<Krysmbot> Hugzilla, 5-1 = 4
<Hugzilla> YEP
Marking potential

...Is what I'd say, if I actually hit them. Instead, all I hit was the wall of a building.

"...Oops."

At least nobody was near it.

quote:

Hero Name: Sparrow.
Private Name: Robin Starling
Mask: the Protege
Looks: Woman, white, athletic body, casual clothes, flashy costume
Shared Ability: Impossible fighting skills
Your Own Ability: Elemental Control (Wind/Lightning)
Mentor's Ability: Stealth

Freak: +0
Danger: -1
Savior: +2
Superior: +2
Mundane: +0

Moves:

❑❑ Fireside chat: When you seek advice from your mentor, roll + the Label they embody. On a hit they will tell you what to do. On a 10+, mark potential if you follow their advice, and take +1 ongoing to follow through. On a 7-9, you get +1 forward to see it through if you do it their way. On a miss, they don’t have time for you because something big has gone down; mark a condition, GM’s choice.

❑❑ Venting frustration: When you directly engage while you are Angry, you can roll + the Label your mentor denies and clear Angry.

❑❑ Be mindful of your surroundings: When you assess the situation before entering into a fight, you may ask one additional question, even on a miss.

Mentor

Ren Starling aka Mockingbird
Embodies: Superior
Denies: Savior

Mentor Resources
Communicators, a hidden base, a vehicle (her old motorcycle).

Moment of Truth
The moment that you show who you really are: your mentor, or something different. You can do whatever your mentor could do and more. You can do the incredible, even the things they always failed to accomplish. Of course, they’re not going to see you the same way, no matter which path you choose…

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if you’ve been a good leader or effective teammate. If they say yes, your mentor loses Influence over you and you mark potential. If they say no, your mentor gains Influence over you, and you take +1 forward on using the Label your mentor embodies. When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them a secret about your mentor (including your feelings towards them). Give them Influence over you and add 1 Team to the pool.

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 17, 2016

Green Bean
May 3, 2009

Fre: +2 | Dan: -1 | Sav: +0 | Sup: +2 | Mun: +0

"The past two weeks have been fantastic! This is my first time in a city, and there's just so many humans in one place! Summitview was great, and I really miss the people I got to know, but wow, there's just so much stuff to do here! Last week, Sparrow took me to a cartoon convention; I met so many people just as excited about human entertainment as I am. I even won a costume contest! Though they ended up taking it away afterwards because it wasn't technically a costume. Being on TV is kinda weird, since they don't get everything I do down, and their priorities seem kinda weird. Like, this one time I was just playing with my personal gravity and moving light particles around in the practice room, and they put almost all of that on, but none of that day I spent 18 hours straight watching cartoons made it to broadcast, even though those shows were much more interesting than what I was doing. This biker seems scary, but I think we can handle it - we're a team, right? I'm just going to follow Callie's advice and hope it goes well. I'm sure it will!"

El Diablo flew (technically fell) on an intercept course with the biker, landing directly in their path. This was the tricky part - the biker was dangerous, but at the same time, he was pretty sure humans weren't supposed to run into solid objects at high speed. Therefore, he needed to slow the villain down safely, but also prevent them from hurting people. Fortunately, he had a plan. He cupped his hands over his mouth and yelled. "Excuse me, bystanders? You might want to look away!" What El Diablo did next had no true physical equivalent; as a summoned creature, he couldn't simply dis-corporate without breaking his mystical contract. But what he could do is make cosmetic changes to how he physically manifested on this plane. And fortunately, 'cosmetic' encompassed his current form as well as, say, a six foot tall wall of flesh that stretched across the road. With an extraplanar squelching noise, El Diablo's form expanded and twisted in ways flesh isn't supposed to. The out of control biker slammed into El Diablo with a wet PLAP, and his form started to collapse in around it, trying to restrain the villain!

[18:11] Green_Bean Unleash to Akira the biker
[18:12] Green_Bean !roll 2d6+2
[18:12] Krysmbot Green_Bean, 9+2 = 11

quote:

Hero Name: El Diablo
Guys, you know I'm not a demon, right? I'm a spirit. They're different things, I swear! Aww, come on guys...
Oh right, humans talk with air and meat. Just call me Liam.
Look: Male, strange body, glowing eyes, mismatched clothing, no costume.
Powers:
Flight - "It's not really flying; I can simply redefine how I personally interact with gravity on a relative basis. I've explained this a dozen times, but no one seems to pay attention."
Pretty Tough - "Earthly matter and forces are just sort of 'eh', you know? It's hard to take seriously unless there's a lot of them."
Radical Shapeshifting - "My substance is fully anchored to this material plane, but if I give that anchor a little *poke*, I can change how that substance is expressed. Humans don't seem to like it when I do that in front of them, though."
Heliokinesis - "I've always been good with...I think the human word for them is 'photons'? I make them ex nihilo, and then move them around. It comes in handy more often than you'd think."

Labels
Freak +2
Danger -1
Savior +0
Superior +2
Mundane 0

Moves:

❑ Belong in two worlds:
You have the resources that come with your station. Whenever you contact your people, roll + Superior. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7-9, hold 2. On a miss, hold 1, but your people make an uncomfortable demand of you. Spend your hold 1 for 1 to:
- receive a useful piece of alien technology that will allow you to use any ability from another playbook once (choose the ability when you spend the hold)
- consult your people’s knowledge to ask the GM a question about the current situation
- clear a condition through the comfort of contact with your home

❑ The best of them:
When you comfort or support someone by telling them how they exemplify the best parts of Earth, roll + Freak instead of + Mundane.

❑ Not so different after all:
When you talk about your home, roll + Freak. On a 10+, choose two. On a 7-9, choose one. During the conversation, you:
- confess a flaw of your home; add 1 Team to the pool
- mislead them about your home; take Influence over them
- describe the glories of your home; clear a condition
On a miss, you inadvertently reveal more about yourself than you planned; tell them a secret or vulnerability you haven’t shared with Earthlings before now.

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, take Influence over them if you show them meaningful affection, physical or emotional. They decide if it’s meaningful.
When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, they tell you what you should do to fit in more. Take +1 forward to do it, and mark potential if you do

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Fre: +1 | Dan: +2 +3 | Sav: -1 | Sup: +1 | Mun: 0 -1
This place isn't as great as I'd hoped it be. I mean don't get me wrong, there's SOME stuff to be thankful for: not everybody here knows who I am and what happened to me (though this loving TV show is going to spoil that), there's definitely a lot more cool shops and poo poo to do during the day if I ever feel like going out, I'm out of my parents house (they seemed relieved to see me go, cant blame 'em), and the base we got is pretty drat great - specially the workout room, since it's designed for people that are nearly as strong as I am. Also Callie's obviously super stoked to be here and living her dream or whatever, so there's that too.

Lot more downsides and disappointments though. There's people everywhere here - I miss being able to feel alone instead of just lonely. I don't know the place, so I've gotten lost a few times and when it was time for me to ride the subway the first time, people looked at me like I was an idiot for not knowing how to use the swipecard. There's no forest for me to walk in when I get mad, or rock quarries for me to vent my frustration in by smashing everything. I miss the record store back at home super bad already.

And then there's the production team. Don't get me started on them - basically, I am considered Not Appropriate for their viewers. They've given me notes on shirts and pants I can and cannot wear, which ones have brands they don't want me promoting, what I can and can't say and gestures I like that I need to cut out and just... UGHHHH! The ONLY reason I am putting up with this poo poo is because it's helping everybody else on the team out, specially Callie. They're even designing a drat costume for me, since I need to be "brand conscious." I basically want to punch the entire crew at this point.

----------------

Today, though - today we actually have something to do! I'd been laying around in my bed when the Alert goes off, so I head to join up with everyone else to see who we're up against. Some sort of, uh, weird biker? That scythe of hers... I dunno, it reminds me of the Red Energy I never loving stop generating. Is she someone else that Wrath rear end in a top hat has messed with? It doesn't matter, I guess, but I'm putting myself on the front lines to make sure all the people without insane toughness are alright. Callie's plan doesn't call for me to do anything specifically, which sucks, but whatever - I'm going to pretend that she just sort of trusts me to do my own thing.

Heading towards their projected location with everyone else, I just sort of run - not really that difficult for me. I'm not super fast or anything, but I'm definitely much faster than the average person. Everybody's so drat quick to spring into action too, with Callie sizing up the scene (I'm glad she's staying back where it's safe), Manitou confiscating the bike, El Diablo (creepily) restraining the driver for at least a moment, and Sparrow... Sparrow totally flubs her attack, it's loving hysterical. I REALLY have to resist the urge to laugh at her openly right now - can't believe she was conceited enough to offer ME training if that's how she's going to handle things when we're up against threats bigger than High School Hooligans.

Against my better judgement - and pretty much entirely because it'll make the stupid loving show I'm on better - I finally act, stepping into the fray and interposing myself between between Sparrow and Whoever This Is, since she's obviously super distracted and in no condition to defend herself from the (I'd guess) inevitable counterattack. I'm not even going to do anything - just cross my arms, stand here in my jacket and jeans and Misfits shirt, and tank the blow effortlessly. Might as well catch her bike for her too, since she decided to basically sacrifice it for that wet fart of a technique - by which I mean I just put my hand out in her bike's path and do my best to not smash it when it collides with me.

"Lose something?" I look over my shoulder towards Sparrow, not bothering to hide my obvious satisfaction with her so-called performance. I set the bike down next to her like it's a toy. "Pretty sure this mystery rider has powers similar to mine, so like... make sure to stay behind me, OK? You're clearly not focused, and Callie likes you for who only knows what reason... so I don't want you getting yourself killed."

<Rauri-phone> Bombshell charging in to defend / frustrate Sparrow
<Rauri-phone> !r 2d6+4
<Krysmbot> Rauri-phone, 8+4 = 12
<Hugzilla> Wow
Sparrow's safe from the followup to her failed attack + Bombshell is going to take influence over her. Shifting Danger up and Mundane down since she's charging into battle without hedging her bets.

quote:

Hero Name: Bombshell
Not So Secret Identity: Holly Anna Jones
Mask: The Bull
Look: Woman, White, Calloused Hands, Casual Clothing, No Costume
Origin: Attended the Wrong Summercamp

Abilities
Impervious Body (Superhumanly Tough) - While she obviously hasn't tested it yet, Bombshell's certain she could tank a direct missile hit if she had to - she's survived bullets and knives with nary a scratch already, and with the sort of devastation she can and does cause, that she hasn't managed to hurt herself or tear a muscle testing her strength is a testament to how tough she is.
Impossible Might (Incredibly Strong) - Bombshell is STRONG. She's not an incredibly talented fighter, but that doesn't matter when one hit from her sends foes flying. She can also lift a goodly number of tons, smash through walls, leap vast distances - and can enhance her abilities via the energy she stores up.
Red Reactor (Uniquely Skilled at Fighting) - Bombshell continuously produces a powerful form of mysterious energy. While her reserves can temporarily run out or exceed her storage capacity, she can use it to enhance her other abilities, project it as blasts, or use it to recover rapidly from harm. Her favorite trick is to punch someone just as she blasts them with this energy for an easy combo attack.

Labels:
Freak: +1
Danger: +2
Savior: -1
Superior: +1
Mundane: 0

Moves
Punch Everyone
Whenever you charge into a fight without hedging your bets, you can shift your Danger up and any other Label down.

In a China Shop
When you directly engage a threat, you can cause significant collateral damage to your environment to choose an additional option, even on a miss.

The Bull’s Heart
You always have exactly one love and one rival. You can change your love or rival at any time; give the new subject of your affections or disdain Influence over you. Take +1 ongoing to any action that impresses your love or frustrates your rival.
Love: Callie
Rival: Sparrow

Defender
When you leap to defend your love or rival in battle, roll + Danger instead of + Savior to defend them.

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, make them your love or rival immediately to mark potential. If they are already your love or rival, take Influence over them and mark potential.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, give them Influence and hold 2. Spend that hold to help them as if it were Team in the pool.

When our team first came together…
We defeated a dangerous enemy. Who or what was it?

Relationships
Callie is your love. You’ve opened up to them about the worst parts of your past.
Sparrow is your rival. They tried to control you at a crucial moment.

Influence
You’re selective about who you let in. Give your love and rival Influence over you, but that’s it.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Oct 18, 2016

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Scene One, Take 2!

Callie: It looks like the team is doing well! Everyone is doing their part well, though a member of the production team is telling you to get El Diablo to stop being a horrifying mass of flesh. It even looks like Sparrow and Bombshell are getting on great! Isn't that awesome?

quote:

What can I use to disarm the biker? You notice that it recoiled from an exploding transformer right before everyone leapt into action. If you could create a powerful enough source of light and catch the biker in it, you could probably get rid of the scythe.

What here is in the greatest danger? You notice that the streets are empty -- mostly. There is a small family less than a block away from the fight. Your team has been known to cause a bit of collateral damage from time to time. They might be in the line of fire. Good thing Bombshell caught Sparrow's bike or they would really have been in trouble!

What do you do?

Manitou: The biker disappeared into the flesh-mass that was formerly El Diablo after you sent it flying. What do you think about that, anyways? And, uh, that bike seems to making some weird noises. Is it... screaming? What is the nature magic imbuing your body telling you?

What do you do?

??? marks Angry.

Sparrow: Well, it could have gone worse. You almost trashed your new bike and whiffed your big attack. At least Bombshell was there for you when it counted and stopped things from getting too out of hand. Wait, what's that sparking box on the wall you hit? It looks like it was important. What building is it attached to, anyways?

What do you do?

El Diablo: You did it! You caught the villain in your horrifying fleshy prison! Everyone's gonna be so excited, right? How have they reacted when you transformed like that in the past? How exactly did the production team want you to showboat during the mission?

Your thoughts are cut a bit short as the scythe rips through your body and sends pieces of you flying every which way. That biker feels like it's getting a little ornery in there. You've got a hold on them for now, but it seems like that may not be as good an idea as you thought. Has anything like this happened before? How much mass can you lose before it starts being a problem, anyways?

Take a powerful blow.

What do you do?

Bombshell: The bike got a little scratched up, but it's fine. Nice save! Now what? Are you going to let Makki have all the fun? Tease Sparrow a bit more? El Diablo's looking a little bit eviscerated.

What do you do?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: Guilty

Yes, yes Sandra, I already know that El Diablo is not exactly child friendly right now, I was already on top of it - not literally because ew, ew, ew, I don't even want to look at it, let alone stand on it, but gosh I got it. "Diablo, you spooked him enough, you're gonna scare civilians into thinking you're the bad guy if you keep going. Remember what I said about 'writhing masses of flesh that make me feel sick to my stomach'? That's kind of a bad guy thing, yeah?" Diablo's cute, he's helpful and strong and cool, and also scarier than anyone else on the team sometimes. "Maybe try something like a big snake? Ooh, or a.. uhm, land squid! And then you can hold it!" DIablo responds best with encouragement and suggestions, not just doubting his methods, after all!

12:31 KittyEmpress callie's gonna try and provoke diablo into not being TOO HORRIFYING FOR TV
12:31 KittyEmpress !r 2d6+3
12:31 Krysmbot KittyEmpress, 11+3 = 14
• if they do it, add a Team to the pool
• if they don’t do it, they mark a condition

But before he can engulf this bad guy, I need to help him anyways, no matter what form he takes, scary shadow-energy scythes are, well, scary and shadowy and possibly capable of killing people or at least very well maiming them, which means taking away that is goal number one - and judging by how it reacted to light, if I lit up the sky like it was daylight out, well then, it'd just go away. And so I raised my hands to the sky, the invisible, scentless pheromones escaping from my pores as I did so, my body doing what it naturally did when I commanded it to - creating aggregation pheromones for a very specific creature, one that every child has looked at with wonder at least once in their life, one I've always loved - the fireflies, with their bright glows.

As I called to them with my powers, I called to my team with my voice - and communicator, "Bombshell, civilians at seven o clock. You and Sparrow are closest. Get them out of the area, we don't know this villain's powers and they're in danger if they just stay here. I trust you two to protect them." My team would have to handle it - and I knew that I could trust both Robin and Holly implicitly.

Sure, one or two would be barely noticed above the lights of a city.... but what would happen if a hundred came, a thousand - how would the light be, with ten thousand lightning bugs filling the air, providing their light to this street and our battle? The night sky lit up as I did so, as one, two, ten, eighty, a hundred - more, untold numbers of these insects took to the air, and came towards where I called them, towards the scene of our battle. We were surrounded in the light, like little stars all around us, bringing their bright glow to where I'd called, in all colors and forms of the area.

12:56 KittyEmpress okay don't gently caress this up callie: UNLEASH THE OWL CITY TO REMOVE SCYTHES
12:56 KittyEmpress !r 2d6
12:56 Krysmbot KittyEmpress, 5 = 5
12:56 KittyEmpress gently caress
12:57 KittyEmpress i hosed it up
12:57 KittyEmpress D:
12:57 KittyEmpress oh wait
12:57 KittyEmpress I have +1 freak not -1, my -1 is danger
12:57 KittyEmpress yay I got a 7
Taking Guilty to make it permanent

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Oct 30, 2016

Green Bean
May 3, 2009
[quote="Green Bean" post="465452563"]

Potential: 2/5 | Conditions:

The horrifyingly misshapen mound of flesh, tormented by several scythe strokes, splits open in a dozen places, lips and teeth forming out of previously featureless skin. In unison, they cry out in an unearthly tone, "OWIE OWIE OWIE!"

The camera cut from the footage of a horrible flesh-cathedral being sliced to pieces by an black scythe to Liam in his regular clothes, standing in front of a white wall. The title card says "El Diablo's Metaphysics" in a cheesy, 70s style font. It is by far the least popular segment on the show.

Liam gives the camera a cheerful smile. "So, people have been asking just how much mass I can lose before it's a problem, and whether it affects my ability to change shape. The answer is 'it depends!'" Behind him, little sketches pop into existence through the magic of post production, presenting handy, incredibly confusing visual aides. The first one was simply a horizontal line and a vertical line intersecting.

"You see, as an Nth dimensional creature, concepts like 'mass' or 'conservation of energy' relative to the earthly plane are malleable; they're more positions I can choose to occupy rather than absolutes." The geometric sketches continue to pop into existence, seemingly with no bearing on what he's actually saying. "The upshot is that my overall mass has little to do with my physical condition. However, that doesn't mean I'm invincible."

"Physical damage to my form is very dangerous, not because I might lose mass, but because it will disrupt the summoning contract that allows me to interact with this plane. When a contract is cancelled or expired, there's provisions in place to return the summonee safely to their own plane. However, if it's disrupted through physical damage, those provisions generally don't work - I'd be stranded on this plane without a physical form to shield me, and then my energy would dissipate into your earthy plane, snuffing out my consciousness permanently." The black squiggles form into a large sad face. "Fortunately, that scythe didn't hit anything vital, so I'm still alive and well! Now, as for my ability to change shape, it's really quite simple..."

Liam launches into a detailed explanation of trans-dimensional splines, ancient arcane treaties, and the history of summoning contracts dating back to 4000 BC, ending only when the cameraman gives up and starts packing up his equipment. The entire sequence never sees the light of day.

Meanwhile, back in the present, Liam heard Callie's suggestion, and decided she was right - both for the purposes of being less terrifying to children and also the purposes of being stabbed less by scythes. He tried to spit the rider out, preferable against something hard before he reverted to his regular form. Emphasis on tried.

[18:09] Green_Bean time to get wrecked!
[18:09] Green_Bean !roll 2d6
[18:09] Krysmbot Green_Bean, 4 = 4
[18:09] Green_Bean or not, yay!

Marking potential.

Responding to Callie's Provoke, so go ahead and add to the Team pool.

[18:45] Green_Bean time to make things better with a Directly Engage!
[18:45] Green_Bean !roll 2d6-1
[18:45] Krysmbot Green_Bean, 4-1 = 3

Marking potential.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

This is fine. This is just a minor setback. Yes, I botched the move I had spent days and nights practicing, but I can recover from this. I'll just take this as a learning experience! Yes, that's right! A learning experience on how to make an utter fool of yourself in front of potential thousands of viewers! Perhaps I should have a talk with someone about editing the entire scene so it would be less... embarrassing.

Hm? What's that noise?

Oh, oh dear. It seems the building I hit was the Bank of Halcyon, and there is a chance I might have destroyed one of their ATM machines with my attack, and it might have triggered the alarm systems, which might mean the police will be here soon. That's fine. This is fine. Collateral damage is to be expected during a battle between super powered beings, yes? I'm sure the police will be very understandable when we explain to them why there are several broken ATM machines, and a few broken windows. I hope.

Agh, this is no time for needless worrying, there is a battle still at hand! I will just have to get back onto The Needletail and- Wait, where is the Needletail?

"Lose something?"

Holly sets my lost machine in front of me. I try to hide my irritation, and fail. I attempt to stay calm, but one look at the smug grin on her face was enough to set me off, "Hey! The Needletail Mk. II is a valuable machine, not a toy! Be more careful with it!" Holly ignores me, and goes on to tell me off. I'm not focused? You're the person who's solution to most things is "keep punching until it stops." I ready myself to retort back at her, but before I could, I hear Callie's voice over the comms.

"Bombshell, civilians at seven o clock. You and Sparrow are closest. Get them out of the area, we don't know this villain's powers and they're in danger if they just stay here. I trust you two to protect them."

Trust? Yes, Callie trusts me. I cannot waste my time on petty squabbles. I leap back onto the Needletail, and ready myself to save the innocents from danger! I rev the engine back up, and-

quote:

<Hugzilla> Sparrow defending the innocent
<Hugzilla> !r 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> Hugzilla, 4+2 = 6
Marking potential.

...It doesn't move. I try, and try again, but all I hear is the sputtering of the engine. It was working fine a few moments ago! What on earth could have caused it to fail on me- Holly. I shoot a venomous glare at Holly. Whatever she did damaged the Needletail, and now it won't move.

I effortlessly try a few more times, trying to will it to move, but it won't. Come on! Move! ARGH! MOVE ALREADY YOU STUPID FRICKING PIECE OF CRAP!

...Oops, almost lost myself there.

There's no time for this! I need to move, now! I get off the Needletail, and sprint towards the family in danger. I could only hope that I will be able to make it in time.

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Oct 20, 2016

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Makki watched the trajectory of the biker as it was launched into the seething mass of flesh that wasn't there last time she checked but then turned out to be Liam, ah right of course. It was so nice to know that she wasn't the weirdest person on the team sometimes it really was, because if she wasn't already a horrible plantoid abomination that would have really given her the willies, fear, that was another human emotion she didn't think she could properly feel anymore. But back to the matter at hand.

The bike was... Thrashing? There was no other word for it, it seemed to be writhing and snarling and thrashing like an animal almost, she gave it a small jolt of nature magic. "Oh my word is this bike alive?" It was still for all intents and purposes an inanimate object get underneath the surface but... Yes she could feel it underneath the chassis, this thing had a soul, all living things in some manner had a soul of sorts from huge whales to invisible amoebas, everything that lived had a little soul in it somewhere. The trashing intensified, the bike was getting really angry about being separated from it's rider, it was taking both hands just to keep it from returning to it's owner. Oh well, time for a different approach.

She forcefully bared it to the ground.

17:46 TheNabster Manitou Spooks a Bike
17:46 TheNabster !r 2d6+3
17:46 Krysmbot TheNabster, 6+3 = 9
17:46 TheNabster That bike is pretty spooked

- you frighten others you had not intended to scare
- you feel like more of a monster afterward; mark a condition (GM’s choice)

"BE STILL" Growled a deep dark voice that spoke of man's earliest memories of dark caves and darker forests. A time where the nights held terrors known and unknown for an unwary hairless monkey, a voice that would turn hair white and send shivers down the spine (Makki put a lot of work into that voice and everything). Manitou's pumpkin visage at this moment was most definitely not safe for television as she glared into the eyes the bike didn't have, but at least no one was there to see this right?

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Oct 21, 2016

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Sparrow's utterly nonsensical retort is so funny I'm openly laughing at her about it, despite our situation. Yeah, I'M the one that needs to be careful with her bike, that makes sense - not her though, the person who nearly wrecked it while she was busy horribly missing our opponent and zapping the bank, she clearly knows what she's doing. She didn't really need the rest of the team to bail her out after that disaster, especially me, clearly. Folding my arms across my chest as I glance at her, I'm opening my mouth to tell her just how well she's doing, when all of a sudden...

Callie speaks up over the communicators thought, and the pair of us instantly shut up, obviously heeding our mutual friend and team captain's words carefully. Oh poo poo, there's a family nearby? Pretty sure it sounds like they're near where her bike was barreling towards, so good thing I stopped it. "Got it," I respond before Sparrow can say anything first, wanting Callie to know I'm the more attentive listener between the two of us. While I do that though, Robin's starting up that back of hers to race towards the civilians - what a cheater! Trying to beat me there to make me look bad in front of Callie is bullshit, since that was already MY plan!

I'm just about to take off in a sprint, determined to outrace her, when it becomes clear from the pitiful whines from her bike that it's not starting back up. She shoots me a truly horrible look (I hope her face gets stuck that way) and then sprints off on her own, leaving me a second to think. Hmmm... whenever machines don't work for me, there's one trick that sometimes solves them - I mean sometimes it smashes them to bits, but her bike isn't working anyways, so no skin off my back if I mess it up. Grabbing ahold of the Needletail, I give it a swift, low-powered kick to the engine.

Spending a point of team to boost Sparrow's defense roll to 7

And it starts up, and it's VERY difficult for me to describe just how hilarious I find all of this. "Fixed your 'valuable machine'," I inform Sparrow unnecessarily, since the engine roaring to life near certainly alerted her to that fact first. "You can thank me later, right now go help those civilians!" Me, I've got a different plan.

See, there's actually more to this battle than Sparrow making herself look dumb (with a little bit of help from me.) Manitou's corralling the rider's bike pretty well from the looks of it, El Diablo attempting the same less succesfully (and far more weirdly) with the biker, and Callie's providing us all with tons of lights because it doesn't take a genius to figure out why there's ten trillion Fireflies here and she's posing like she's in some sort of soft-rock music video.

Sparrow can manage defending the family by herself - I wanna punch something, and show off to Callie, and I've got a perfect opportunity right before me. Charging towards my freaky-devil teammate and the foe he's engaging, racing down the road and through the horde of bugs with speed furnished by super-strength, I don't waste any time. The biker's still recovering, and is pretty clearly not ready for me as I plant my feet next to them, already shifting my hips and starting to throw the punch they're about to enjoy. Wonder if they can see my grin, or know what's about to happen?

Rolled a directly engage in irc, 2d6+3 = 10, choosing to Avoid / Resist counterattack and to Impress / Frighten / Surprise them.

Whoever this is, they're just lucky I'm holding back - last thing I want to do is kill somebody on accident and mess Callie's TV show up. So I only punch them kinda hard in their center torso... not enough to kill a regular person, but definitely enough to rack up some extensive medical bills. Watching the biker sail through the air to crash against and then slide down a brick wall is pretty satisfying though, I'll admit to that.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

What was it that mother used to tell me? "Taking the high ground is for chumps"? I can see why she would say that, especially with how much Bombshell has been rubbing rubbing my own failures to my face with an almost sadistic glee. How she can be friends with Callie is beyond me. I ready myself to retort back to her, but I stop myself. This is no time for petty squabbles (No matter how much of a self-satisfied jerk a certain someone is being), Callie has given me my orders, and I intend to follow through with them.

I hop back onto the newly restored Needletail, and make my way towards the people in danger. Once I get closer to them, I disembark from my mount, and quickly position myself between the family and the danger in front of them. "Quickly, run! I will shield you from any dangers that might come this way! Now, please, make your way out of here while you still can!" I take a stance, sword at the ready, and prepare myself to deal with whatever comes this way.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Scene One, Take 3!

What a scene! The dramatic flood of fireflies lights up the city's streets and you can see the scythe -- and part of the biker's suit -- fade away under the illumination as El Diablo spits them out. Bombshell is quick on the attack and successfully bats them out of the sky and directly into the wall of the Bank of Halcyon -- and then straight through into the Bank's interior! What a hit!

??? marks Afraid.

Meanwhile, Manitou puts on a real show for the bike -- it visibly shrinks away from her and starts shivering. The family? They're looking pretty darn spooked too. The kid even starts crying! Uh oh. Good thing Sparrow's on her way there to help them, right?

You see a cloud of inky blackness explode forth from the hole in the wall and start creeping out of the walls of the bank. That doesn't seem to be good. Especially not the way it's hissing as it covers new ground and blankets over objects. It doesn't look like it's going to stop any time soon either, not unless you cut it off at the source.

It's closing in on Sparrow and the family pretty fast...

You have a feeling that entering the cloud without some sort of precaution would be a bad idea.

Callie: So far, so good-ish. Well, other than that cloud of darkness. And Makki scaring a family. And El Diablo's looking a little worse for wear, but at least he's (mostly) safe for TV again! What's the plan now, chief? Any snappy name for this thing? Maybe a one-liner?

What do you do?

El Diablo: There's a funky taste in your mouth... thing. The biker left something behind in you when you sent it flying and it's definitely messing with your mojo. It's almost like it's infecting you with whatever it's got going on. That's bad, right? Some sort of conjuction between opposing energy systems, perhaps? What's your guess? Better yet, what's your plan to get rid of it?

Mark Hopeless.

What do you do?

Sparrow: That wave of darkness is giving you all sorts of bad vibes. You need to do something quick or that family -- tell me more about them, by the way -- is going to get caught up in it. Your instincts are telling you that would be bad. Very bad. Do you think you can handle it?

Mark Afraid.

What do you do?

Manitou: The bike is under control and doesn't look like it's going anywhere. And, you know, might have leaked some coolant or something. There's a bit of a puddle. Awesome job! But how do you feel about scaring that kid? Gross, snotty tears are going everywhere. You can see them from all the way down the street! Are you still, you know, you? What's your biggest fear?

Mark Guilty.

What do you do?

Bombshell: What brief glimpse do you get of the person underneath the biker suit? Do you think your body's defenses can handle some sort of otherworldly corrosive darkness? If you don't go for it and try to finish the biker, Sparrow might do something stupid. Or, heaven forbid, Callie.

What do you do?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: Guilty | Hold: 3

With the fireflies melting away the main foe's scythe, I can't help but try and think of a good line for it, something that'd make for a good teaser for commercials, or would be memorable for days to come. So I point towards where Bombshell was uh, beating the entity up and do my best smirk possible, even using my right hand to do that little 'rub under the lips' and click of the tongue thing you see in movies, "Well, Black Bike, it likes light turning the lights up means it'll just be... lights out for you. But don't worry, Mannie'll take good care of your pet, while you're behind bars." I wanted it to look at me, because I had maneuvered myself to be just behind a large cloud of the fireflies, and for what I was doing I needed to shred away some of its mysterious armor. "Just look at what is happening, do you think you have a chance? Do you think you'll somehow prevail, after what has happened thus far?"

What was I doing, you ask? Why, from the points of my fingers I was sending an attack, invisible to the human eye, an attack full of the one feeling, something that I had hoped to never feel myself, but had used more than once to stop villains in their tracks. Complete, utter, horrible despair - the kind that made whatever they were doing feel hopeless, impossible, that made them want to give up because they knew they could do nothing. There were always problems with using this kind of thing though, of course, especially since I didn't know what kind of pheromone to use - I could modify them on the fly for different biologies, but well... this time I just threw something of a combination of what might affect Manitou, and what might affect Diablo - trying to make sure it wasn't enough of either of those two to harm my teammates.

The grandstanding, honestly, was also because I liked doing that. I think me and Sparrow got along partially for that - giving speeches to the bad guy is fun. It's one of the best parts of being a hero, after all.

22:14 KittyEmpress which is to say it's time for callie's show guys weeee :V
22:14 KittyEmpress !r 2d6+2
22:14 Krysmbot KittyEmpress, 9+2 = 11
Hold 3

22:11 KittyEmpress CALLIE SPRINGS DIRECTLY ENGAGES A THREAT
22:11 KittyEmpress !r 2d6-1
22:11 Krysmbot KittyEmpress, 4-1 = 3
Mark potential

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 30, 2016

Green Bean
May 3, 2009

Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Hopeless

El Diablo had vomited up the bad guy, but even back to 'normal' he felt sad and mad at himself. Some of that was from screwing up the takedown, but he quickly realised part of it was outside influence. Fortunately, while he might not know much about earth customs, he knew quite a bit about the extra-dimensional interactions that made up his body. He concentrated on his own physicality, triangulating his sense of unease and self-doubt until he found the source. It was a tiny sliver of the scythe still within him - whether it was magic or sufficiently advanced technology, it had bypassed the initial layer of protection that protected him from being sliced to pieces, and was corroding or possibly even corrupting the complex formulae that maintained his physical form. Left untreated, it could seriously weaken or even kill him!

[12:34] Green_Bean El Diablo will Assess
[12:34] Green_Bean !roll 2d6+2
[12:34] Krysmbot Green_Bean, 9+2 = 11

Will take:
- what here can I use to purge the sliver?
- what here is in the greatest danger?

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Afraid

This is bad. Very bad. The mother behind me is holding onto her frightened son, and this... thing, this wave of darkness is slowly making it's way towards us, swallowing everything in it's way. The boy and the mother are terrified, and I share that same feeling. I try to hold steady, but I cannot stop my hands from trembling. Whatever this thing is, it's dangerous, and if any of us were to be swallowed by it, it would not end well for any of us. This is no time for grandstanding or dramatic speeches, the two behind me are depending on me to protect them, and I need to think of how. We could run, but that would not stop it from chasing us, and I can't just attack it blindly, that would be suicide. No, I need to calm down, focus, use the breathing techniques my mother taught me. I need to calm my nerves just long enough so I could concentrate.

Okay, think. There must be a source, and if you cut off the source, you cut off the power. If I can't find the source, then I should try and find a way to stop this thing from spreading any further. Remember your lessons, Sparrow; concentrate, examine your surroundings, and look for your openings.

quote:

<Hugzilla> Sparrow will assess!
<Hugzilla> !r 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> Hugzilla, 8+2 = 10

Asking: What here can I use to stop it from spreading any further? How could we best end this quickly? What here is the greatest threat?

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Oh of COURSE there's some dumb darkness emanating from the bank. That's what I get for going easy on her - should've just let my anger lose and not given a poo poo. My Red Energy production basically spikes through the roof whenever I'm super angry or frustrated, and you can drat well bet I am right now. I did my absolute best to down this willowy chick gently (yeah it's definitely a woman, she's fairly tall, and she's got a belly-button piercing since my punch obliterated some of the front of her suit and I saw it before she flew into the bank), and she's repaid that favor by attacking my teammates. By attacking CALLIE.

Yeah, she's crossed the line. You can quote me on this - I'm not holding back next time I hit her.

Am I tougher than this otherworldly darkness? I bet I am, but I'm not sure - how could I be, it's not like I know what the gently caress happened to me exactly - but right now that's not the question I'm asking. That question is: How quickly can I throw myself in front of my childhood friend before she (foolishly) gets herself injured?

<Scauri> Bombshell Defend Love Callie
<Scauri> !r 2d6+3
<Krysmbot> Scauri, 11+3 = 14
<SomeoneAwful> i'm so sorry ;_;
<KittyEmpress> lmao
Defending Callie from the Powerful Blow she'd take as part of her failed directly engage, and adding a point of Team to the pool.

As it turns out, the answer is insanely fast. With my incredible strength I shove off the pavement and fling myself in front of her, battering the darkness that was heading right for her aside like it was nothing. "Callie I got this, don't worry about it - you and the rest of the team should just get back." Eyes having gone from blue to pink as I start to build up with more and more energy, I gaze ominously towards our tiresome foe, the one that hasn't figured out she got beat the second I showed up here and that only further sealed her fate by trying to hurt the person I care most about in this entirely stupid world.

Quietly, I add "do some poses and talk about what's going on like it's your plan, it'll look good for the cameras, you can take credit for whatever I do and I'm cool with it." That'll keep her back where it's safe and let me do the only thing I'm good at - it's a win / win!

Rauri fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 25, 2016

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: Guilty

Makki looked at the sniveling terrified kid across the road and thought. 'Damnit, and I was doing so well too.' This is why she doesn't like appearing on camera, because no one likes the monster. She noticed that Sparrow had fans, Holly had fans, Callie had lots of fans and even Liam had a small but fervent cult following. But Makki knew in her bones she wasn't 'palatable' for a TV audience. There were exactly 4 people in her life right now who she knows on non-business terms in the city with her currently, and only two of them seem to not care about how she looked or what she did. 'But If they turned their backs on me, who do I have left to turn to?' She shook her head, 'No, feel guilty about it later, now we've got to just-'

Oh god what's Callie doing! She knows she isn't a strong fighter so why in god's name is she charging at that mess?!

"Holly!" But Bombshell was quicker to react than she was, okay good that's one problem solved and we are left with one more problem still, she would deal with that. Whilst it focused on the people in front of her, Makki stalked behind the watching eyes until she was close to the mass of liquid black, and lumbered towards the darkness.

As she did Manitou reached out, the fireflies drawn together by the pull of sweet pheromones were now drawn to Makki by the subconscious call of the Manitou. This thing couldn't touch the light right? Or something to that effect, well let's test that theory shall we? They nestled themselves on her body and flew around her in thick cloud as she barreled into the murky depths.

17:52 TheNabster Manitou is gonna get her glow on and enter the cloud
17:52 TheNabster !r 2d6+3
17:52 Krysmbot TheNabster, 5+3 = 8
17:52 TheNabster Radiant

>Temporary or Unstable Effect here I think

Keep it together, keep it together, keep it together

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 23, 2016

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Scene One, Take 4!

Callie: You're putting on quite a show! The production crew is giving you some serious verbal thumbs-ups right now. That attack, though? Not as effective. You were so worried about not affecting El Diablo and Manitou that it was too watered down to really do anything. The cloud was about to overtake you when Bombshell flew out of nowhere and started beating a literal cloud of darkness up. That's some skill!

What are you going to do now?

El Diablo: You think fast and put together the bits and pieces of evidence that have been revealed so far.

quote:

What here can I use to purge the sliver? Light seems to get rid of the different things that the Black Biker is manifesting. There are plenty of fireflies out there, as well, so you just need to figure out a way to expose the sliver to light without going maximum Akira.

What here is in the greatest danger? The family seems to be most obviously in danger, but you start to wonder about those in the bank. The fog seems to be pretty bad news. Is there anyone inside?

What do you do?

Sparrow: Likewise, you buckle down and get your investigate on.

quote:

What here can I use to stop it from spreading any further? The cloud seems to be following the same general rules as normal fog -- it's heavy, it kind of curls on the ground, and it flows around objects instead of through them. You could probably do a pretty good job stopping it with your wind powers, but you'd need to make some sort of barricade to redirect it. It's probably not going to stop until the Biker is unconscious.

How could we best end this quickly? The Biker seems to be lashing out in pain. Either talk her down or beat her up. Gotta get inside to do that, though!

What here is the greatest threat? Definitely the menacing cloud of darkness.

What do you do?

Bombshell: Your knuckles seem a little red from the contact with the darkness, but overall you feel fine. Callie is safe for the moment. Do you think you can keep your anger in check?

What do you do now?

Manitou: You walk into the cloud and the makeshift shield of fireflies seems to be working! It's a lot darker than you thought it would be in here, but you're the only person who could find the Biker and stop the cloud. Where do you think she landed? What are you going to do?

The shield is holding -- for now. Speed is recommended!

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: Angry, Guilty

Darkness, imprisoning me, all that I see, absolute horror. But horror doesn't work on the Manitou, stalking low through the murky depths, she followed the trail of the faintest pinprick of life in this world of shadows. It was strong, and it was also afraid, strength is secondary when fear takes the reigns, and fear is where Manitou starts.

She started to crawl, and it quickly turned into a loping run as an 8 foot monster iridescent in fireflies and eyes blazing with concentrated power bounded through the fog, panting like a hungry animal and somehow the thought of catching helpless pray seemed very appealing. She felt the urge to leap and rip and tear but fought it down. She wasn't a wolf she was a superhero monster. We'll do this by the mostly books. But the special books written by batman who say it's okay to make the villains pee themselves if you don't actually kill them.

The figure turned at the last moment.

17:30 TheNabster Manitou is attacking the darkness. Directly Engaging +1
17:30 TheNabster !r 2d6+1
17:30 Krysmbot TheNabster, 7+1 = 8
17:30 TheNabster Good enough
17:30 TheNabster I'll mark a condition to add another thing to it because she's gonna be fuckin' spookey about it

>Impress/Surprise/Frighten Them
>Marking Angry to use Not Human Enough, Create an opportunity.

Wicked vines grasped the girl by her limbs and dragged her in to the Manitou's embrace for a closer look, the rictus grin of the terrible pumpkin head, dripping sap from it's mouth onto her face, split into wide almost toothy maw.

"FOUND YOU" Croaked the dread voice as it lumbered an arm back and swung.

---

A moment later, a dark figure exited at some speed from the cloud.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

I see it! I see the path to victory! To defeat the cloud, we must defeat the rider, and Manitou has created the perfect opportunity for us! Now is the perfect time to strike!

...Is what I would say, if I could move. I attempt to will myself to move, but I cannot. I try to put on a brave face for the sake of the family behind me, but in truth, I am frightened out of my mind. This cloud is dangerous, and one wrong move can mean the end of me. But if not me, then who else? Callie is not a fighter, and I would hate to put her in danger, and Liam lacks the experience. The only other person is... Holly.

"Bombshell," I say over the comms, "Listen, whatever grievances we have with each other can wait. If we are to end this now, we need to take down the rider, fast, and you..." I hesitate before I continue, "...are the best person to do so. I will create a shield of wind around you so the cloud cannot harm you. Now go! Show them the true explosive powers of your fist!"

I turn on the one-way communication between Holly and I, so only she would hear what I have to say next, "And Holly? If you can, please try to make it look flashy, for Callie's sake."

I close my eyes, and take a moment to feel the breeze around me. I reach out my hand, and move it along with the direction of the winds. I gently guide them to Holly's direction, until she is surrounded by a circular barrier of wind. There. That should be enough to hold.

I also make sure to add the rest of my sakura blossoms to the shield, so it appears as if she is being shielded by the pink blossoms instead of the winds. I'm sure she'll be extra appreciative of that.

quote:

7:50 AM <HugzillaPhone> Sparrow defend Bombshell
7:50 AM <Krysmbot> HugzillaPhone, 8+3 = 11

Choosing to clear condition.

Also, Holly (or anybody else) will get a +1 forward to stopping the rider because of my assess roll.

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Oct 26, 2016

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Fre: +1 | Dan: +3 | Sav: -1 | Sup: +1 | Mun: -1

Callie's safe, that's good - but I'm almost confused for a second. Pretty sure that darkness... I mean it didn't hurt me or anything, but it kinda stung for a second? Yeah, there's no way Callie's allowed anywhere near that, she'll probably try and befriend it and that won't work. Know what will though? Punching the hell out of the Biker. Seems Manitou's got the same idea too, so that's going to make things easier.

I'm just about to spring inside when suddenly Sparrow's addressing me over the team comms. What, did her bike get a scratch or some poo poo and she wants to blame me for it? Turns out not to be that though. I mean she's being dumb assuming I wasn't about to do exactly what she's suggesting, aka charge in and beat the hell out of the Biker, but the parts about me being best at it and helping Callie out appeal to me. She gives me some shield too, not that it'll make any difference at all of course. Aside from looking ridiculous - they match my eyes, but flowers aren't a good fit for a living weapon. "Like there was any point that I /wasn't/ going to charge in," I reply back to her over the team comms. "But yeah, understood. Watch this."

And with that, I charge in, the Fireflies around Manitou making it easy to see her... and the Biker that's thrown directly in my path. This is almost too easy! Let's see... skid to a stop, plant feet, raise arms, aim, wait for Biker to hit the right spot... and then PUNCH!

Catching them with a powerful right hook, I throw in a blast of Red Energy for good measure, the crimson light shining violently as it blasts them even as they fly across the bank from the force of the initial hit. No way to defend against it, and I bet it's enough to put them down for good. Besides, heroes are allowed to do property damage to apprehend bad guys, right? Hope so - I sure as poo poo just did.

<Rauri> Bombshell Directly Engage Biker to Impress Callie
<Rauri> !r 2d6+3
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 5+3=8 +1 = 9
Forgot the Assess bonus, only relevant if someone spends Team on roll though. Using Bull in a China Shop to cause collateral damage in exchange for choosing an extra directly engage option. Choosing to take something from them - Cloud of Darkness - and frighten / surprise / impress again.

"Wanna give up yet?" I smugly inquire in the vague direction Manitou and I just combo'ed the Biker towards, flicking my hair out like this is boring... 'cuz this is kinda boring. I thought Halcyon villains were supposed to be impressive?

Green Bean
May 3, 2009

Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Hopeless

El Diablo snapped his fingers as he realised how simple the solution really was - light! He was really good with light, better than most humans, he'd found, since he didn't have to worry pesky things like conservation of energy. He made a flippy gesture with his hands, and created a few photons, and a few more, and a few more, until all of a sudden he was glowing like a floodlight. Abruptly, he felt the pain of the sliver recede, and without even having to turn his physical form inside out! Not that it was hard to do that, but staying roughly humanoid would keep Callie happy, and that was important.

Before the fog came, he thought he'd seen movement from within the bank. The others seems to have the biker under control, so El Diablo decide to fall back on rescue duty, since that was almost never the wrong decision. Still shining like a lighthouse, with a gesture he directed a powerful beam of light into the thickest part of the fog bank, a beacon of pure white. "Hello, is anyone still in there!?!"

[17:53] Green_Bean Unleash time
[17:53] Green_Bean !roll 2d6+1
[17:53] Krysmbot Green_Bean, 9+1 = 10

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: | Hold: 3

I'm about to be overtaken by this monstrous cloud when suddenly Holly out of nowhere, punching clouds and stuff like that! She's like, my total hero and I'm so thankful, but I barely have time to shout "Thank you Bombiee~" before she's, you know, busy tackling and fighting this cloud, that my gathered army of bugs was just not strong enough to pierce. Luckily between Sparrow, Manitou, and Bombshell, they were seeming to do a pretty great job with handling the cloud - and I could hear Diablo already getting to work on the other things that had to be done. Now, I knew in this situation sometimes the best thing to do was to stand back, and keep watch on making sure my team was doing good. Which was always my favorite place to be, anyways.

- - - - - - - -

Hello to the viewers at home! I'm Callie, or Spring - whichever you want to call me, honestly my identity is like, the least secret of any hero's ever. And now we're going to discuss my powers. See, as part of a freak moment where I touched a magical butterfly, I gained a very amazing ability- and some cool instincts that go with them. See, I can secrete a basically unlimited amount of different chemicals - some of them aren't even known to science properly! These chemicals are... well, basically pheromones, like animals and insects and everything living have been secreting for thousands of years. Except where most species can't interact with each other through them, I can combine these pheromones and affect... well, anything.

This means all the basic things - aggregation, where I bring groups of something towards me, dispersal where I send them away, frenzy where I inspire something to attack, panic where I inflict fear... and also more minute things that most species can't do. Do you remember learning about hormones in class, those of you old enough? Well, my pheromones are very, very capable of influencing those, as well as a... well, a lot of other chemicals in the human body. For instance - I can trigger adrenal glands, causing a person to gain a controlled adrenaline rush. It's very interesting - and that's all the time I have for now, but I'm sure we'll learn many more fun facts about my powers soon!

- - - - - - - -

I can already see that Sparrow is covering Bombshell's back, so I just give the biggest smile I can, and point a finger gun towards Manitou, "Many light will shine bright, to protect Mani from this fright!" I'm not magical, I don't need to chant, but as I sent the aggregation pheromones all over Manitou in specific, well, I couldn't help but do a little something for the camera, as I sent the army of fireflies to descend upon our scary friend in specific - giving her the brightness that she'd need to fight against the darkness. My team was maybe a bit uh, tougher than me most of the time, but I was around for more than just my peppy attitude and can do spirit - I was useful!

(KittyEmpress) callie defending manitou as she scarily engages the daaarkknesss
(KittyEmpress) !r 2d6+1
(Krysmbot) KittyEmpress, 9+1 = 10
Removing Guilty

More than that though, I was going to be more useful to my whole team, my other hand pointed out towards Bombshell, as I sent out a bit of something to... well, charge her up, to make sure that adrenaline was really pumping while she targetted the darkness herself - after all, making sure both bits of my team could do their best at this was like, obviously the best thing to do! So just a bit of adrenal stimulation, maybe something to make her feel energized as if it wasn't like, the end of a long day... you know, the basics.

Spending a team to give Bombshell another choice

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Scene One, Take 5!

Working as a team, you batter the Black Biker around like a pinball! She rockets out of the cloud, propelled by the full force of an angry plant-girl-slash-urban-legend, and is launched right out of the bank by Bombshell's follow-up punch. She careens through a few pillars along the way, but it's not like those are important, right? The Biker flies straight out into a huge swarm of fireflies providing the perfect shot as she vanishes into a dark void. Without the Biker feeding it, the cloud quickly begins to fade under the onslaught of fireflies and El Diablo's light beam. You can hear sirens off in the distance as police and rescue crews start to pull up.

Black Biker has been forced to retreat.

The Bank of Halycon groans noticeably as the side nearest the street begins to slowly crumble. Maybe those pillars were important after all.

Manitou: What did it look like the Biker was going to do before the extra fireflies from Callie stopped it? How did you hone your skills at spooking villains?

Sparrow: It looks like Bombshell really was the lady for the job. Nice work! How are you going to make sure you make a splash next time? Worried about fading into the background at all?

Bombshell: Whew, you're feeling great! Whatever mojo Callie sent your way is really pepping you up. Too bad about the Bank, though. Have you had issues with collateral damage in Summitview?

El Diablo: Your light beam swept through the cloud like a hot knife through butter! Great work! Who did you see in the Bank that really surprised you? Why do they owe you a favor?

Callie: Nice work, Callie! Your leadership and, to be frank, flair for the dramatic has got the production team super excited. The Bank's collapsing, though, so what's the plan? What do the producers want you to do at the end of a fight, anyways?

Everyone: Now that the cloud is gone, you can see that there were quite a few people who were caught in it. They are all laid out on the floor and shockingly pale -- certainly in no condition to move themselves! And, of course, the Bank is looking pretty shaky. You're going to have to work together and push yourselves to the limit to save them!

What do you do?

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

No kidding I'm feeling great - Callie's powers may kinda suck for fighting people, but drat if she hasn't figured out some other cool uses for 'em. "Thanks Callie!" I call, waving cheerfully with the hand I just punched Black Biker with, flicking my hair out of my face looking oh so casual (I hope!). Not super happy she followed us in, but she definitely helped out and there's no way I yell at her, so meh - all's well that ends well.

That punch isn't one of those things though, as it turns out. Don't get me wrong, totally knocked the hell out of her... but yeah, looks like this bank wasn't built to stand up to the sorta force I can produce - its starting to collapse. And there are a lot of people in here. Maybe not my finest moment. Not the first time I've wrecked a building of course, but this has to be the biggest one so far. Kinda cool, but mostly INCREDIBLY BAD.

Ahhh! poo poo, kinda my fault, so I gotta fix this - can't mess things up for Callie, or let tons of people get smashed. As such I'm wrecking over towards one of the broken support columns, calling my intentions out to the team in a loud shout. "I'm going to hold the Bank up, nobody interfere!" Gotta admit, I've never lifted anything as heavy as a bank before. It's possible that I can't, that I'm not strong enough. But, as I leap into position and start to push the building back up, lifting against most of the bank's weight, I sorta doubt it.

<Rauri> Bombshell Unleash Powers
<Rauri> !r 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 12+1 = 13
<Rauri> hah
<Yamifenrir> hot drat
Overcoming an obstacle - collapsing building - until civilians and teammates are safe.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

I breathe a sigh of relief as the cloud slowly starts to dissipate from sight. Holly might be a rude, mean, jerkface, but at least she's a reliable jerkface. Now if only she knew how to control her strength better so we didn't have to deal with a collapsing bank! Now more people are in trouble because of her recklessness! Could she not have been more careful!?

...Ugh, I'm one to talk. I've been just as reckless as she has, possibly even worse. I contributed to the damage on the bank with my failed stunt earlier, and if Holly had not caught the Needletail, it would have collided with the mother and her child. All I've been doing this entire time is messing up, and Holly, for all her many, many faults, has been doing way more than I have. We both made mistakes tonight, but at least she's trying to fix hers, so I should follow her lead and do the same. After all, I can't let her show me up every time. "Bombshell, try and hang on for a little while longer! I'm going to try and get the people to safety!"

There's no time to get on the Needletail, I'm going to have to depend on the winds for this one. I had hoped to save this trick for a big, dramatic moment while facing down a big villain (with a speech ready as well, of course), but there'll be time for that later. I run towards the bank, and channel the winds so they would propel me forward, making it look as if I had a burst of super speed. I just need to get in, and get people out. It won't be easy, but at least I know I'm not alone in this, and I have the rest of my team to depend on. Even Holly. She's still a jerkface though.

quote:

<Hugzilla> Sparrow's going to get the people out to safety
<Hugzilla> !r 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> Hugzilla, 6+2 = 8

Adding a Team to the pool

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 6, 2016

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Manitou as the smoke began to clear looked at the hole in her chest, drat. She nearly got me there. All those marathon nights of watching scary movies and reading the reports on the real life equivalents to Batman really payed off, the look on the rider's face when her pumpkin split open and she got a good look down the mouth of the Manitou would keep her warm and fuzzy on these cold winter nights.

But, when Manitou grabbed the biker with the intent to do horrible, horrible things to her (Or at least look like it) a spindle of darkness lashed out from the shadows and punctured her chest, it seemed to be starting some sort of rot, but when the Fireflies showed up the rot and the tendril vanished in an instant. Was it gone? What would it have done if Callie hadn't defended her? Was it even real? These questions could wait because the bank was looking like it was starting to collapse under it's own weight. Oh dear.

Holly was doing her best but, she couldn't hold it forever, strong as she is Makki could see that parts of the bank were starting to slide. She pulled out of the cavity in her chest a selection of seeds and strode forward to the area of freshly revealed earth near the bank, and plunged both hands into the mess.

It was poor quality dirt long since paved over, but as the glow of her eerie inner light flowed to her fingertips, she knew it would be enough for her real plant powers.

19:48 TheNabster Makki lends plant support
19:48 Tricky if you want to replace the pillars with another unleash you could probably make it more of a longer term fix
19:48 TheNabster !r 2d6+3
19:48 Krysmbot TheNabster, 8+3 = 11

Towering vines and grasping tendrils worked their way up and around the bank, to hold it's weight and supports it's damaged infrastructure. This was the Manitou at work, the moment she was on natural ground she could let rip and it felt glorious. And because she had some energy to spare, she made the whole thing bloom with many beautiful and colourful wallflowers.

She dusted herself down when she was done doing her job.

"The bank's secure Callie, what about the injured civilians?"

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Nov 6, 2016

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: | Hold: 2

My team has taken care of the actual threat, but well... I can see from where I am that she's not exactly letting herself be captured. I can't do much to prevent an escape from where I am - especially since i know like, nothing about her powers, so instead I do what a leader does best - I watch her, and what she's doing. Because I know villains as much as I know heroes, and they always come back, they never barely escape with their freedom and decide 'hmm, maybe I'll stop being a villain'. Nope, they always decide 'well, that was a fluke, I'll be better prepared next time'. So what can I do but make sure that we are better prepared too? Maybe it's from my powers, and maybe it's just from being me, but I've always been sort of good at reading people.

12:03 KittyEmpress callie is gonna pierce the biker as she escapes I GUESSSSSSSSS
12:03 KittyEmpress !r 2d6+2
12:03 Krysmbot KittyEmpress, 10+2 = 12
My superior is +2, not mundane, so it's only a 10.

what are you really planning?
what do you intend to do?
how could I gain Influence over you?

As my team performs clean up efforts and starts getting people out of the bank, I am mostly focused on the civilians who were shown to be in the cloud. They look bad, really... really bad. Like, deathly pale, so I quickly whip up a mental chemical cocktail in my head. A bit of adrenaline to get their heart pumping, some glucarates from plants edited down for human processing, a nice little bit of calming relaxation chemical to make sure panic is not induced and to counter adrenaline to ensure lack of heart attacks from sudden energy bursts. I'm no chemist, but to me this is just... what I do. Sure, it wont heal anyone instantly like some people's powers, but at least I can support them and get these people going until real paramedics get here, and can get them to hospitals to recover properly.

One of them is already sort of awake, and I can see the weakness in her eyes, as she stares at me. She feels like someone I know, somehow, despite me only being in the city for such a little bit of time - that's when it strikes me that she's Samantha, one of the producer's daughters who like, showed up to meet us on the first day we were in town, because she wanted to show us [mostly me] all of the cool places in the city. She looks a... lot different, when she's not peppy and bubbly.

Callie Defends them FROM DEATH
13:21 KittyEmpress !r 2d6+1
13:21 Krysmbot KittyEmpress, 9+1 = 10
Taking influence over someone

I'm pretty much fully distracted taking care of these people - that is, until a voice calls out, shouting "Alright, little miss hero and crew, do your jobs, and I'll get to doing mine!" I swear I know that voice, and when I turn... well, I didn't expect it to be who it was, that's for sure. Detective Miyano is like, a Legend to those who like, super respect the League. And not for good reasons - see, she's one of the only heroe- people, rather - that the League itself approached. She was pretty famous - she can basically tell anything just by watching someone once. A master of every fighting style known to man, she's also an expert detective... who refused to join the League, because she thinks the League and Heroes in general just do the easy part of the job - catching people in action. She prefers to get down and gritty, doing the work on the ground to find those who got away, solving the cold cases that heroes just forget about...

She's a good person, even if she disagrees with heroes on a few matters - a lot of people thought she'd be made chief for all of Halcyon City, but for some reason her advancement just stalled for the last few years - a lot of less happy-with-heroes people say it's because the League doesn't like her views. I think she just doesn't want it - I couldn't see someone renowned for single handily gathering enough evidence to take down the Doctors of Destruction through their civilian identities working at a desk and making public appearances. Regardless though, she's striding up to me, full on camera, and hands me a card, "As always, I'll look into who this was, so you can go back to what you heroes do. Give me a call some time, I'll keep you up to date on if I find her. Chances are she'll be after you guys again, for that embarrassment."

Spending Hold to have her volunteer help or information, yay

She is moving - afterwards - to help corral off the civilians, and joining the police that are arriving. I, honestly, was pretty star struck. I mean, how do you even respond to someone you've only seen giving reports on TV handing you their card with their phone number on it? That's like, so frickin cool! And it had to make good footage for the show too, I mean, meeting with a super famous anti hero person who gives you their card and starts helping us out? I mean, she's not really anti-hero, but a lot of people act like she is. I honestly completely forget about the whole 'pose as a team' thing the producer asked us to do at the end of every fight, instead I just send out a call to my team, "We did a good job everyone. None of this would have been possible if even one of you weren't here. Look around to the people we've saved - savor it. It's why we do it."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Scene One, Take 6!

Between the efforts of Bombshell and Manitou stabilizing the bank and Callie and Sparrow attending to the civilians trapped in the rubble, you easily buy enough time for rescue crews to set up some additional braces and clear the last few stragglers. It still doesn't look pretty, but it doesn't look like they expect it to fall over. Nice work, Justice Friends! There are contractually obligated statements and post-mission segments to be made, of course, but you can feel pretty well accomplished.

This will be the final prompt before the scene changes. Use your hold, celebrate your victories, experience the adoration of a grateful public!

Everyone (other than Manitou?): It sounds like the production team wants you to cut a quick confessional. How do you think that the mission went? Who was the VIP? Any juicy team gossip??

Callie: You don't get much more than a quick glimpse as the Biker rockets on past, but it's enough. What's the deepest secret you've ever discovered with this talent of yours?

quote:

What are you really planning? You get the sense that this was all a distraction of some sort. But for who? What? Perhaps your new detective friend has some insight.

What do you intend to do? She wasn't prepared for how powerful you were. She feels like she's going to need an edge, so to speak, next time you cross paths.

How could I gain Influence over you? She seems to be afraid of something -- someone? -- and that fear drives her. Right now? She thinks you are just kids. Powerful kids, but kids nonetheless. If you were to convince her that you could stand up to this... thing, then that would give you a certain degree of leverage.

What do you do?

Manitou: If you want to stay out of the public eye, now's the time to make yourself scarce. But someone saw you when you grew those trees. There was a look in their eyes, something you haven't seen in a long time... Respect? Gratitude?

What do you do?

Sparrow: You did it! You saved the day! You were every bit the hero that you knew you could be. Who do you want to celebrate with? Any Sparrow fans in the crowd?

What do you do?

Bombshell: For a moment, you didn't think you could hold it up any longer. But you did it. You saved a lot of people and it looks like you may even have saved the Bank itself -- assuming that the construction crews in Halcyon are half as good as you've heard. So you have a lot to feel good about. What's your usual post-mission wind-down like, anyways?

What do you do?

Tricky fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Dec 8, 2016

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Well, we did it. The Justice Friends have saved the day, and defeated the bad guy. So why am I still feeling tense? I should be celebrating, basking in the adoration of the crowd, but I can't stop thinking about the rider. For such a powerful foe, they went down surprisingly easily, and what was the reason behind this attack? It can't be a simple rampage. My gut is telling me there was more to this attack, but what? Was it all a diversion? Is this all a part of a bigger scheme?

"Excuse me, miss!"

"Huh?" I look down, and see a little girl, who couldn't be older than 5, standing in front of me. She has her hands behind her back, and she looks a little nervous. I crouch on one knee, bringing me in eye level with the little girl, and smile, "Hello. Is there anything I can help you with?"

The child smiles back at me, revealing all her missing front tooth. "Here! I made this for you!" She hands me a drawing of... me? The drawing has me, standing dramatically on a rooftop, holding what I think it supposed to be my sword. The sun is shining bright down on me, and the words "I kick butt for justice!" are written in a little world bubble. The words, "By your #1 fan, Laura!" are scrawled on the bottom right corner.

I stare at the picture for a few good seconds. This little girl- Laura, thinks of me as her hero? "...Thank you," I say, holding back the tears that are welling up in my eyes, "It's... a beautiful drawing."

"Yay! Laura gives me a big hug, and then runs off, back to her parents. I look at the drawing one more time, before I put it away in my pocket. That's right, there are people who look up to us, who depend on us. I made mistakes today, but that is fine. I'll learn, and grow, and be an inspiration to the Laura's of the world. I shouldn't let past mistakes, or grudges, cloud my judgement. Speaking of grudges.

I make my way to where Holly is. "Uh... hey. You... you uh, did good today." I say, sheepishly. An awkward moment of silence passes between us. I clear my throat, "...Hey, uh, are you- uh, doing anything after this? Do you, like, uh, wanna... hang out?" I blush a little. Holly is probably going to throw another insult at me, but it's worth a try. I should at least try and get to know her better, for Callie's sake.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

'And this is where I leave.' Makki thought, clutching the sticky sap dripping hole in her chest as little motes of nature magic escaped. It wasn't that she felt pain, she didn't have anything to feel pain with for one, but she had as part of her make up as being of plant matter complete and total control of her body and was aware of it at all times. And so the presence of nothing where there should be something was, distracting, like a kazoo in an orchestra, or an uncomfortable lump on an otherwise comfortable chair.

She looked at Holly and Sparrow together, Holly looking tired, Sparrow looking a little rattled, but relieved. She wanted to join in, she wanted to congratulate them both on a job well done, she really wanted deep down inside to give Holly a hug, she always looked like she needed one. But the cameras were coming, and the press, and the crowd, and the Summitville Wickerman could not be seen in broad daylight, not now, not ever, and not associated with them. And so with one more glance and nod at the pair of them, the Manitou bounded at speed to the nearest alleyway.

Sewers, she had gotten use to sewers, they were in the daytime the best way to move quickly about the city without attracting attention. Of course it meant she stank to the high heavens by the time she arrived anywhere but the smell never bothered her, after all it added an extra piquancy to her depiction as a horrible ravenous monster, and she had the good common courtesy to hose herself down outside the nice clean mansion before she went inside.

She had pryed off the manhole cover, had slipped half her body down and then someone had followed her into the alleyway. The little girl paused, the monster paused. The little girl was stuck between fear, awe, curiosity, the monster was stuck firmly in the grey terror of being seen. The little girl... Makki had been seeing in primary colours at that point, between going so close to 'the beast' to incapacitate that smoke villain, and having to exert a huge amount of her personal life force to ensure the bank didn't collapse but she hadn't paid any mind to anyone who might have seen, but she did see...

The little girl said. "Thank you"

The monster, felt like she had been shocked to her core.

There was a long moment of silence in the alleyway, and without so much as a murmur, Makki slipped into the hole and closed it after her. She opened it up a moment later to give a quiet 'keep this a secret' moment to the girl, and then disappeared down the hole.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

That took a LOT out of me - even with Makki helping out - and as I finally hop down, the structure more or less stable and everyone evacuated, the almost neon pink glow from my eyes when I'm charged up is gone, replaced by their actual (and natural looking) blue. Whew! Didn't know I could do that - totally proved myself wrong! I hope Callie saw, I mean she has to have right? I know there's a ton of civilians and so on surrounding us, wanting to thank us or whatever, but I don't care about them aside from making the dumb show I'm a part of now look good.

I mean, I already punched the hell out of the bank and am the reason it nearly collapsed, after all. Robin and Callie got people out, Pervert Devil was on crowd control outside, and Makki stepped into and helped me hold the place up when I really needed it. Even ROBIN probably did a better job than me, aside from sucking at riding a motorcycle (hey I'm invulnerable, I should get one). Still though, did hold the bank up, and punched the HELL out of the villain... Oh gently caress, the camera crew's coming closer, probably for another one of those insipid confessionals. Ughhhh. Can we trade them for the villain we just beat up?

I'm just about to get mine over with so I can get to my usual post-battle activities (warmdown walk and reflection period, long hot shower, then laying around in my room while listening to records) when Robin comes over, interrupting me waaay too close to these dumb Disney jerks that're problem going to try and record crap since even they know how to recognize drama when they see it, and the two of us are a prime source. So really quickly I cross my arms, shifting my stance some to make sure she knows I DIDN'T want her coming over to talk to me. Probably gonna lecture me about the dumb bank or whatever.

But... it's not actually that. She tells me I did good, and for a moment I'm too stunned to remember to be mad at her or even to say anything - I just blink incredulously a few times. And then she asks if I want to hang out?! I wanted to hang out with Callie! What's her game here? Should I... should I yell at her? I mean, that seems lovely to me now. Dammit! Why'd she have to come up and be NICE?!

"Uhhh... I guess?" I respond, voice like someone testing if a midwinter lake is iced over fully by doing a cannonball onto it. "I was gonna go for a walk, then listen to music. If you... I dunno, shut up and don't ruin what I put on, we can trade off who gets to pick the music?" That is my FINAL offer, and I extend a hand, wanting her to loving guarantee she won't lame my evening up massively.

Holly's Confessional posted:

I don't want to talk about it. I punched someone a lot, we held a bank up, a lot of people got out safe - that was mostly Callie and everyone else. I just hit things, go looking to them if you want to talk heroics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Scene One, Finale!

After everyone takes care of their various activities and ends up back at the mansion, an official-looking car pulls up front and several suited figures approach the door. They don't introduce themselves -- not specifically, anyways -- but you get the general impression that they are some sort of shadowy government agency that want to talk to you about potential connections between the biker you fought and an earlier incident in Summit View.

No rest for the wicked, and certainly not for heroes such as yourselves!

Apologies for the delay! Everyone who is still interested in playing should post here so that we can figure things (backgrounds, influence, etc) out for the merge and get back to it soon!

• Locked thread