Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Problem description: I am using a Dell E6440 laptop at work. I plugged in a couple of old monitors to test that they worked to sell. Since I did that, the computer has been running extremely poorly. I thought perhaps it got stuck on the integrated graphics so I disabled that. Then after looking in the task manager I noticed that no matter what I was doing the computer is running at 0.58 ghz at 20% load.

Attempted fixes: Tried to reinstall GPU drivers before I knew what going on but have done nothing for the actual CPU problem. It is still installing drivers now because of the ridiculously poor CPU speed... it will probably take an hour at this rate. I have Intel GPU disabled in device manager.

Recent changes: Plugged in 3 different monitors (?)

--

Operating system: Windows 10, fully updated

System specs: Dell E6440. There is no complete model number that I can see for some reason.

Speccy showing 800 mhz, task manager showing 0.58 ghz

It took so, so long to make this post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
It's supposed to run at extremely low clocks when idle as a power-saving mechanism. Run a CPU performance benchmark, you should find it clocks up and scores normally.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

penus penus penus posted:

Problem description: I am using a Dell E6440 laptop at work. I plugged in a couple of old monitors to test that they worked to sell. Since I did that, the computer has been running extremely poorly. I thought perhaps it got stuck on the integrated graphics so I disabled that. Then after looking in the task manager I noticed that no matter what I was doing the computer is running at 0.58 ghz at 20% load.

Attempted fixes: Tried to reinstall GPU drivers before I knew what going on but have done nothing for the actual CPU problem. It is still installing drivers now because of the ridiculously poor CPU speed... it will probably take an hour at this rate. I have Intel GPU disabled in device manager.

Recent changes: Plugged in 3 different monitors (?)

--

Operating system: Windows 10, fully updated

System specs: Dell E6440. There is no complete model number that I can see for some reason.

Speccy showing 800 mhz, task manager showing 0.58 ghz

It took so, so long to make this post.

Are you using the right size power brick for it? On most Dells, if the power brick is not the correct Wattage or is dying, it will permanently run in low power mode because it can't get enough.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Alereon posted:

It's supposed to run at extremely low clocks when idle as a power-saving mechanism. Run a CPU performance benchmark, you should find it clocks up and scores normally.

I did, I was a bit hasty with this post due to work. It wouldn't go above 0.58 ghz under any circumstance. If I had two tabs of chrome open I could barely type. I was using photoshop and it just simply didn't work anymore.

CommieGIR posted:

Are you using the right size power brick for it? On most Dells, if the power brick is not the correct Wattage or is dying, it will permanently run in low power mode because it can't get enough.

The power brick didn't change from before though I didn't think to swap it out either.

But all this is moot because it stopped happening after one day

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I changed nothing!

Ghosts.

Thanks for the responses though

• Locked thread