Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

howe_sam posted:

He described cesarean section births as abortions. As nutso as that sounds, it is literally what the man said.

That was my first thought but to be technical about it, a c-section is meant to bring a baby out alive, while an abortion is not, so he wasn't "literally" describing a c-section. It's more accurate to say he described something totally fictional, because the thing he described as an abortion is not what a late-term abortion is and no doctor would do what he was describing, nor can I imagine the person that would seek out such a thing.

A late-term abortion is something that only happens when a severe health issue is discovered late in the pregnancy (20 weeks or after) that would put the mother's life at risk or severe birth defects are discovered, and they often involve a fetus that won't be viable once born (aka it is going to die anyway).

There was a really tragic article in our paper about a woman who had to get a late-term abortion after she learned her fetus's brain didn't develop. The fetus was essentially on life support inside her womb and would die soon after being born. If she hadn't been able to get the procedure, she would have had to spend the last six weeks to a month of her pregnancy with a brain dead fetus inside of her, waiting to go into labor so it can be born and then die, which sounds like loving torture to me. I really cannot even imagine having that experience and coming out of it with my sanity intact. This is pretty typical and a lot of women are coming out and sharing their stories. If anyone can hear those stories and still want to ban this type of abortion, I honestly think they are monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

Lowly posted:

There was a really tragic article in our paper about a woman who had to get a late-term abortion after she learned her fetus's brain didn't develop. The fetus was essentially on life support inside her womb and would die soon after being born. If she hadn't been able to get the procedure, she would have had to spend the last six weeks to a month of her pregnancy with a brain dead fetus inside of her, waiting to go into labor so it can be born and then die, which sounds like loving torture to me. I really cannot even imagine having that experience and coming out of it with my sanity intact. This is pretty typical and a lot of women are coming out and sharing their stories. If anyone can hear those stories and still want to ban this type of abortion, I honestly think they are monsters.

there's a NICU nurse in the health care stories thread who has (is?) dealing with caring for a couple of no-brain babies that the parents won't give up on. I don't know why I bring this up other than to say it's terribly sad in either scenario, aborting, or denying the obvious and holding out.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
This forum had a semi-infamous interaction with one such woman who was holding out desperately. Look up the Zombaby saga.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Lowly posted:

That was my first thought but to be technical about it, a c-section is meant to bring a baby out alive, while an abortion is not, so he wasn't "literally" describing a c-section. It's more accurate to say he described something totally fictional, because the thing he described as an abortion is not what a late-term abortion is and no doctor would do what he was describing, nor can I imagine the person that would seek out such a thing.

A late-term abortion is something that only happens when a severe health issue is discovered late in the pregnancy (20 weeks or after) that would put the mother's life at risk or severe birth defects are discovered, and they often involve a fetus that won't be viable once born (aka it is going to die anyway).

My wife is an L&D nurse and she read this post. She says:

quote:

Everyone should read this post.

And there you go. poo poo doesn't get more authoritative.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Levitate posted:

I can also see how some people would feel Trump won because when he really gets going throwing out all the accusations and lies, half truths, and everything else it starts coming off as he's scoring points...but the problem is that it's all the same stuff he's said before and been fact checked on before.

I feel like Hillary's team wasted "Trumped up" on trickle-down. It could have stuck if they'd tied it to his fantastical accusations of election rigging, instigating violence, birtherism, producing fake sexual assault victims, etc.

A guy named Trump is habitually attacking people with wild, unfounded charges. How did they miss that one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

moths posted:

I feel like Hillary's team wasted "Trumped up" on trickle-down. It could have stuck if they'd tied it to his fantastical accusations of election rigging, instigating violence, birtherism, producing fake sexual assault victims, etc.

A guy named Trump is habitually attacking people with wild, unfounded charges. How did they miss that one?

Using Trump's trumped up claims as a trump card in your example would have really trumped Trumped-up trickle down as a takedown of Trump.

• Locked thread