Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Problem description: Youtube will randomly cause my computer to eat itself and give me a BSOD.

Attempted fixes: Updating drivers, googling possible fixes.

Recent changes: I recently did a rebuild of my computer, new MOBO, CPU, the whole 9 yards.

Operating system: Windows 10

System specs:

CPU: Intel i5 6660k 3.5GHz Quad Core
MOBO: ASUS Z170-A
RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB DIMMs)
PSU: 600w
Video: nvidia GTX 750 Ti 2GB
1 TB HDD
Overclocking: Yes (20% 4.2GHz)

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Long story short, sometimes my computer will give me a BSOD when watching youtube videos. I recently did a rebuild of my computer, replacing almost every part with new stuff. I'm overclocking (4.2 GHz) and running two case fans in a push-pull config. So far the only parts of my computer I haven't replaced are my PSU, HDD, and Video Card. The strange thing is when I'm playing graphically intensive games such as Witcher 3, DOOM, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided I can easily pull 60 frames at maximum settings with no issues whatsoever, I don't get any power surges, memory crashes, etc. However when I want to watch silly cats on youtube there's a 1 in 5 chance of my computer just going to absolute poo poo. One time it even crashed when I was making a post right here on SA. Games = no crash, Casual stuff = random BSOD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Try again at stock speeds and see if it still crashes. What's the brand and model of your power supply?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Off the top of my head it's a Corsair something or other, I'll crack my case open and look. I'm thinking my problem might be power-related. In the meantime I went down to stock speed like you suggested. I wish I could trigger the crashes somehow but they're spontaneous.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I decided to actually pay attention to my BSOD error and it's saying MEMORY_MANAGEMENT so either I have bad ram or my browser has a memory leak. I'm gonna run memtest86+ and get back to you.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
A "memory leak" can't cause BSODs, just slowdowns and crashes in the affected program itself. If the issue happens at stock speeds too, that would point to a RAM, motherboard, or clock settings issue.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Alereon posted:

A "memory leak" can't cause BSODs, just slowdowns and crashes in the affected program itself. If the issue happens at stock speeds too, that would point to a RAM, motherboard, or clock settings issue.

I'm running memtest86+ right now and there's red everywhere. I'm going to shuffle my DIMMs around. It's looking like a RAM issue.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Do confirm the RAM speed and voltage settings are correct in the BIOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

My ram is running at 2400 MHz at 1.2v, double-checked in the BIOS and everything matches. I'm still running at stock speeds.

I removed the faulty DIMM and the crashing seems to have subsided, but I'll keep you posted.

• Locked thread