Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I mean, he is a pretty interesting looking man. If freaky Friday happened and I switched in his body, I would do gently caress all to try and change back. Bam. Five minutes, movie end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I said similar in the Death Stranding thread; he seems like a nice chill person who just happens to look like the loving devil.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Always loved this little interview snippet. Have never figured out if Mads is angry or just having a bit of wry fun because him being deadpan is that intimidating. Look at that poker face in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVBAhciBtxA

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Lobok posted:

Always loved this little interview snippet. Have never figured out if Mads is angry or just having a bit of wry fun because him being deadpan is that intimidating. Look at that poker face in the video.

That's fantastic, but I can't help think it is a missed opportunity that the host didn't learn a second line that goes "no, I only know that sentence and this one".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsy3-ZfbqW0

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Mads Mikkelson is apparently the most chill dude on the planet. He has beers with fans all the time if they see him at a bar or something.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I really wish his role in Dr. Strange was bigger. He's so wasted in small roles. Hannibal is easily one of my favourite TV shows ever, and the time you spend with his creepy Dr. Lecter is a big part of why it works.

I think his role in Rogue One is going to be pretty brief, too. Such a missed opportunity, but I guess that's just how Hollywood works for an actor with a weird accent.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
You should check out The Hunt if you'd like to see him acting to his full potential (in Danish).

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

You should check out The Hunt if you'd like to see him acting to his full potential (in Danish).

Definitely do this. He's also in Pusher 1 and 2 which I also recommend.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

That was a fun movie.

Really flawed, but the fight scenes and the visual effects were also really fun. I'm also glad the humor wasn't a million quips an hour but I guess that's more of a Whedon thing.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I forgot to ask this question way back when this came out. Just before Strange crashes his car, he's distracted by by a weird x-ray. Is that a reference to anything? An Easter's Egg, perhaps?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

My main non-serious objection to this movie is that Kaecilius was played by one of my favorite actors yet they couldn't think of something cooler than Brittney Spears backup dancer style mascara to give him.

This was unironically called out by Strange during their first confrontation, by the way. I believe the exact line was, "That can't be true. I mean, look at your face!"

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I forgot to ask this question way back when this came out. Just before Strange crashes his car, he's distracted by by a weird x-ray. Is that a reference to anything? An Easter's Egg, perhaps?

I heard it was Marvel's Captain Marvel.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I thought it was Rhodey.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

LividLiquid posted:

I thought it was Rhodey.
Though the timelines don't match up at all for it to be Rhodes, it sounds like it a lot. Strange skips that case because he thinks it'd be boring, though.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I feel like it would have been cleaner if that had been the guy who got hurt in Hammer's prototype combat suit, and there had been a timeskip involved in Strange's training. It's a bit awkward that The Ancient One compares the time and dedication needed to be a sorcerer to his years of med school...and then Strange does it in two weeks.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

LividLiquid posted:

I thought it was Rhodey.

That's the test pilot he turns down, the x-ray is in reference to the girl struck by lightning.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

jivjov posted:

. It's a bit awkward that The Ancient One compares the time and dedication needed to be a sorcerer to his years of med school...and then Strange does it in two weeks.
To be fair, the movie makes it clear that he's hardly at the level of a legit Sorcerer Supreme, and more of a really hard working bookworm with a ton of natural curiosity but lacking in technique except for a crazy natural affinity to the Eye.

Plus it's clear he's kind of cheating thanks to the eiditic memory and astral-projection reading while he sleeps.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Jonas Albrecht posted:

That's the test pilot he turns down, the x-ray is in reference to the girl struck by lightning.

The test pilot he turns down is the Hammer dude, otherwise the timelines wouldn't mesh at all.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The_Doctor posted:

The test pilot he turns down is the Hammer dude, otherwise the timelines wouldn't mesh at all.

Did they really kept that guy laying around for like 5 years before trying to refer him to Strange?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

Unless Doctor Strange takes place in the Child Timeline, of course.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

jivjov posted:

Did they really kept that guy laying around for like 5 years before trying to refer him to Strange?

Strange is mentioned in Winter Soldier, so clearly he's 'somebody' by then, which means his training is before that point. Iron Man 2 takes place in ~2008 (and the Hammer test pilot footage is from recently before that), when presumably Strange is still a surgeon.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
He wrecked his car in 2016

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

jivjov posted:

He wrecked his car in 2016

Hmm, this seems a bit of a mess then. Why is he on Hydra's radar in 2014 then?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

Hmm, this seems a bit of a mess then. Why is he on Hydra's radar in 2014 then?

Because their fancy math computer algorithms were detecting people who had the potential to become threats.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
You're debating timeline continuity in a movie about mind-bending magic and other dimensions.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

You're debating timeline continuity in a movie about mind-bending magic and other dimensions.

goons.txt

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Other than having those trophies and awards in his apartment dated as 2016, it's just much easier to assume the movie takes place over a longer/earlier period.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Lobok posted:

Other than having those trophies and awards in his apartment dated as 2016, it's just much easier to assume the movie takes place over a longer/earlier period.

Yeah, until my rewatch when I spotted those dated items, I had assumed the same thing.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

FilthyImp posted:

Plus it's clear he's kind of cheating thanks to the eiditic memory and astral-projection reading while he sleeps.

How unfair that some students study instead of sleeping and have good memories. Cheating, I say.

Given that the events of Dr. Strange won't overlap with any other Marvel property until Thor: Ragnarok, I think you can safely assume the first movie takes place at any point between last year and November 2, 2017.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Xealot posted:

How unfair that some students study instead of sleeping and have good memories. Cheating, I say.

Well, the librarian told him that books on astral projection were reserved for more advanced practitioners, and he went ahead and stole them anyway. So yeah, he did cheat.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Injured test pilot could reference dozens and dozens of Marvel characters, no reason it has to be the two we've seen so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Rough Lobster posted:

Injured test pilot could reference dozens and dozens of Marvel characters, no reason it has to be the two we've seen so far.

Clearly it's Hal Jordan :colbert:

• Locked thread