Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
My friend is in a band called Smashy Claw, and he's been working on this gigantic 18-track genre-hopping album for like the last 3 years. He thinks he's just about ready to send the album off to mastering, but he wants a few final opinions from some fresh ears first. So I offered to post it here for him. If anyone is willing to listen to these and give some notes, it'd be appreciated!

The album is called "Insane is Repeating" and the album cover looks like this

So here's some MP3s. Also got FLACs here incase anyone wants those instead.

1. White Coats

2. Amygdala

3. Déjà Vu (Déjà Vu)

4. The Spy Inside

5. My Ancient Head

6. Regarding Your Demise

7. Subordinate

8. I Am a Head (Inside a Head [Inside a Head {Inside a Head}])

9. Da Capo

10. Claustrophobia

11. A Matter of Good and Evil

12. Evil Will Prevail

13. Old, Fat & Despised

14. Fire in the Sky

15. Vicious Circle

16. Parasite

17. Monster

18. Primeval in Cm

19. ([{uV àjéD} uV àjéD] uV àjéD) uV àjéD

Any opinions on the mixes before it goes to mastering are welcome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000
I don't like this mix at all. It is pretty in-your-face and not very interesting. Drum mix is bad, snare too loud, that really needs attention. But nothing really has much depth. Mixed like a 4-piece indie rock band, this should be super-polished with LOTS of sheen, or more indie / new wave with lots of interesting textures and sounds. Right now it's kind of in between both worlds and lacks its own identity, if that makes sense. I don't think there's a single reverb send here..

Morning Bell
Feb 23, 2006

Illegal Hen
After listening to three songs. It's... flat and dry. Vocals sound bad, dunno what's up with those 'chorus-effect' harmonies on the vox in the choruses. Dynamics aren't there. Drums are lifeless. Bass sounds 'cheap', like someone went into garage band and used the default preset. It's all sounding stock and blah.

Agree with previous poster that this kinda thing needs lots of sheen and polish to work. He's spend 3 years working on this album, he could fork out some dough and get someone else to mix.

• Locked thread