Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I have a Pomeranian whom I'll be needing to take on an 11 hour flight, probably KLM, from Japan to Holland. I haven't booked the flight yet, but it'll be somewhere in December.

I want to take her into the cabin, preferably. Has anyone here done this and can you tell me how it went? I can't find any blogs or anything specific about doing it with KLM. The main thing is that while she's a small dog and will probably fit under the seat just fine, the maximum height of the carry bag is 24 cm, and she's only slightly taller than that when standing straight on her feet, they technically require her to be able to stand under the seat. It'll certainly be a little cramped for her but she'll be able to turn around and lie down comfortably and I still think it's preferable to putting her in the hold, since she's very attached to my wife and I and will probably be calm as long as we're sitting with her. She won't take well to being alone for 11 hours in a noisy rear end room with nowhere to piss and poo poo.

I looked on the website for Air France (same company as KLM actually) and they say:

quote:

If your dog or cat meets the requirements listed in Air France pet policy to travel in-cabin, you will need an approved airline pet carrier. The carrier must have a waterproof bottom, have room for your pet to stand up and turn around, must fasten securly and have adequate ventilation. The carrier should measure L45cm (17.71”) x W 24cm (9.44”) x H 28cm (11.02"). If your carrier is flexible and will push down, the height can be a little bit higher. The combined weight of your pet and their carrier should not be more than 17 pounds (7.7 kg).

So if I were to take Air France it'd be fine, but then I'd land in France which would be a hassle because importing a dog into Europe is already difficult, so I'd prefer a direct flight to my own country. I guess it depends on the individual airlines seat sizes, or maybe Air France is just a little looser with their official rules? I'd really like to hear from anyone who's tried this. How flexible, generally, are they with this? Is it like with carry on luggage where you can have a slightly odd size or shape of bag and they'll still let you through, or can I expect a guy with measuring tape checking the exact size of my bag?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
E: Nevermind, I remembered that the policy changed in Oct 2014, but it doesn't seem all that restrictive even today: http://www.airfrance.ch/CH/en/common/guidevoyageur/pratique/animal_cabine_airfrance.htm . In fact it's so liberal I don't remember what the problem was that I was thinking with hold animals (my old roommate flew out to the US with his German Shepherd like 4 November 2014, just after the policy change, and had a hell of a time). I really remember there being some problem with hold animals after 26 Oct 2014, so there might be some twist that I don't see on their website.

Moving between most non-island EU countries is fine, although transferring your dog if he's in hold storage sounds like it's guaranteed to have problems and a direct flight sounds one million times better of an idea. Just make sure your dog is chipped and you have his full vaccine record. I guess you'll probably want a notorized translation. I see people with small pets flying all the time. You won't go through customs after clearing France anyway, so it's not like they'll know the dog went from Paris to Amsterdam.

I've never had a problem with my cat passport between France/Switzerland/Germany/Italy, though all my travel has been by car. No one has ever scanned his passport or his chip at the border, if that's even something they can do.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 23, 2016

• Locked thread