Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have a 3ds xl currently but I would rather get a device that would let me put emulators on it without having to hack it.

So far I've been looking at the Nvidia shield primarily but looked at a few other android gaming tablets or devices. I was impressed by the nvidia shield for being a full controller which I like while also being able to run emulators up to the gamecube and possibly wii generation. Unfortunately it's been discontinued and I'm guessing there's not much out there on the market that can compete with it. I heard rumors there might be a second generation coming out in november or december but nothing has really been confirmed yet.

Are there any other options I don't know about? Also I wasn't sure if I should post this in games or inspect your gadget so if I need to move it it'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ColoradoCleric posted:

I have a 3ds xl currently but I would rather get a device that would let me put emulators on it without having to hack it.

So far I've been looking at the Nvidia shield primarily but looked at a few other android gaming tablets or devices. I was impressed by the nvidia shield for being a full controller which I like while also being able to run emulators up to the gamecube and possibly wii generation. Unfortunately it's been discontinued and I'm guessing there's not much out there on the market that can compete with it. I heard rumors there might be a second generation coming out in november or december but nothing has really been confirmed yet.

Are there any other options I don't know about? Also I wasn't sure if I should post this in games or inspect your gadget so if I need to move it it'll be fine.

A PSP is still a good choice but I think you'd be better off just hacking your 3DS. It takes a few hours but it's easy if you follow directions plus you can play GBA games natively through it in addition to the emulators.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

ColoradoCleric posted:

If you can acquire a Playstation Vita on firmware 3.60 or lower they can be hacked to run a wide variety of emulators up to the PS1.
It is, however, a bit of a ballache, especially if your Vita is lower than 3.60, because then you have to manually install that particular firmware, which is a slightly fiddly process.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Get some Android tablet. :v:

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bogart posted:

Get some Android tablet. :v:

Any of those controllers that holds the tablet worth getting?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ColoradoCleric posted:

Any of those controllers that holds the tablet worth getting?

I recently got the GameSir G3 android controller (for emulators), and I have to say it is an excellent device. The clamp for cell phones is very sturdy, and the controller itself is the same quality as an xbone/ps4 controller:
https://www.amazon.com/GameSir-Bluetooth-Wireless-Controller-Android-Smartphone/dp/B019H5II8Y/

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Get the NVidia Shield Portable. I know they stopped making them, but it truly is an incredible device. Built like a brick shithouse, incredible speakers, very good battery life, XBox 360 style controller, can be plugged into a TV, supports NVidia Gamestreaming so you can play your PC games on it; it's probably the best thing out there.

I heard Lollipop sucks on it though. I believe update 103 was supposed to be the last good one? See if you can find one with an unlocked Bootloader.

I forgot to mention that it has a beautiful IPS display as well.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Dec 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Get the NVidia Shield Portable. I know they stopped making them, but it truly is an incredible device. Built like a brick shithouse, incredible speakers, very good battery life, XBox 360 style controller, can be plugged into a TV, supports NVidia Gamestreaming so you can play your PC games on it; it's probably the best thing out there.

I heard Lollipop sucks on it though. I believe update 103 was supposed to be the last good one? See if you can find one with an unlocked Bootloader.

They still make the NVidia Shield Tablets. The tablet plus a bluetooth controller and you have yourself a ghetto Nintendo Switch:
https://www.amazon.com/NVIDIA-SHIELD-K1-Tablet-Black/dp/B0171BS9CG

• Locked thread