Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
My hunch is, the RAM is the problem. But if anyone has any other ideas I'm all ears. The RAM I have isn't on the approved list for my motherboard. In fact, it says on the box that my RAM is designed for x99 based motherboard and mine is a Z170 board but it is standard DDR4 DIMMs.

Problem description:
Just built a new gaming PC about 2 weeks ago. Was working fine for the first week, except I noticed that my RAM wasnt showing up at the proper speed in the BIOS. I was showing up as 2100mhz when my RAM is actually 3000mhz. Now since its set to autodetect by default, I manually set it to 3000mhz. Restarted PC, and it worked fine for a few mins but then I got a BSOD. The description said "RESOURCE_NOT_OWNED" Since this happened right after I manually set my RAM speed, I went back into the BIOS and set it back to the default setting of AUTO. Restarted PC, and in a few minutes it BSODed again (same message as before). Now I'm really confused. So I said screw it, I'll just format the ssd and reinstall windows 10 again. Also I set all the BIOS settings back to default even though the only thing I changed was setting the chassis fans to PWM (and the aforementioned RAM speed setting) Reinstalled windows. BSOD a few mins after install is complete (same message) This was with my 500GB Samsung 850 EVO. So I switched to my older 128GB Samsung 840 PRO. Formatted and reinstalled windows, yet again another BSOD (same message) after windows was done installing. Now I'm in experimentation mode, (see below for attempted troubleshooting steps) but the BSODs only seem to be getting worse. I can't even finish an install of Windows now before I get a BSOD. Also I'm getting different error messages. The majority of the time its "RESOURCE_NOT_OWNED" but I will also sometimes get "PFN_LIST_CORRUPT", "KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE", "IRQL NOT LESS OR MORE", and "SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED"

Attempted fixes:
-Updated BIOS to current version when I first started up the system after building it. After the blue screens, I loaded it again just for good measure.
-Set all MB settings to default.
-Tried 2 different SSDs.
-Tried Windows 8.1 and 10.
-Tried just 1 stick of RAM
-Unplugged everything except keyboard, monitor, and power.
-Tried different GPU just for the hell of it
-Attempted to try just integrid motherboard video and remove gpu. Unfortunately I couldnt get a signal at the monitor even though I changed it in the BIOS to output video through the motherboard.
-My next step is to go to Frys Electronics sometime this week and see if I can exchange my RAM for a different model. I'm going to try to get something thats on the approved list for my MB.

Recent changes:
No recent hardware changes as its a totally new build. The only setting change I made was manually setting the ram speed to 3000mhz in BIOS. But it is now back in auto after all the crashing.

Operating system:
Windows 10. Also I have windows 8.1 that I tried but it didnt work any better.

System specs:
Motherboard: Asus Z170-AR
CPU: Intel Core i5 6600
RAM: 4x4GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR4 PC4-24000 3000mhz Part number PX416G300C6QK <- I think this is the culprit.
GPU: Gigabyte Windforce OC GTX 1060 6GB
PSU: Corsair RM750i

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
You probably have the memory overclocked too high for stability. Lower the memory speeds to something more reasonable in the BIOS and see if the system will pass Memtest86+. In the future don't buy weird overclocker RAM, just buy normal RAM meant for your motherboard.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Update: So its been a few weeks of total frustration and the problem still isnt resolved. This is what Ive done since I made the thread:

- I figured it was the RAM causing the crashing, so I went to Frys and exchanged it for some Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB ( part # CMD16GX4M2B3000C15 ) This ram is on the approved list for my motherboard. Popped it in, set all BIOS settings back to default and attempted to load windows. BSOD almost immediately. It always seems to happen during the windows installation, I never actually get through a windows install anymore and make it into the OS.

- I was always loading windows from a USB stick, so I tried loading it from an external CD drive. Same thing, still crashes.

- At this point I'm going nuts thinking the only thing it can be is the motherboard or cpu? So I took the motherboard out and exchanged it for a MSI Z170 Krait Gaming 3X. Installed it, attempted OS install from USB stick. Crashes exactly the same way as before, during windows install. All of my error messages are the same as they were when this all started (mainly RESOURCE_NOT_OWNED)

- I've tried 2 different SSDs on this PC so far. So I had an old mechanical hard drive laying so I thought I'd give it a shot. Same thing, still crashes during OS loading.

So all I can think is maybe its the CPU? I think I'm going to RMA it. I dont know what else to try at this point. Well I guess I could try the new motherboard without a GPU. Also I can try a different power supply. Can either of these things cause these kinds of BSODs?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
It's not the CPU. Did you check the memory speed settings in the BIOS and lower them to reasonable values? Like I said, when you buy overclocker RAM like that it is more likely you will have issues because more aggressive settings are the defaults.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Alereon posted:

It's not the CPU. Did you check the memory speed settings in the BIOS and lower them to reasonable values? Like I said, when you buy overclocker RAM like that it is more likely you will have issues because more aggressive settings are the defaults.

Well both motherboards I've had so far have set the speed of the RAM to 2133mhz by default. Are you saying I should set it lower?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010
Just put together a new computer, and this exact same thing is happening to me. Have managed to actually get Windows installed after many, many tries with various different bios settings, but it's still far from stable.

My mobo is MSI Z170A Tomahawk AC, for what it's worth, and the ram I have tried at 2133 and 2400 (the speed the ram is actually listed as on the package). Tried pulling out the video card, tried pulling out every other non-essential part, still no luck. It crashes after maybe 30 seconds, even in safe mode, with the same error messages listed in the OP.

Have you figured anything out since you last posted?

• Locked thread