Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Hey so let's share any chicken wing recipes we've got. I'll start with the One True Buffalo Wing

Ok well started to write this part up but my buddy pr0k did a bang up job years ago. Read this http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Buffalo_Wings_with_Blue_Cheese_Dressing

Now here's for another wing recipe that while it looks like a joke or some Tasty! post on facebook but no really this is the same thing they make at a popular wing joint (Wild Wing Cafe) here in Atlanta just they make a gallon at a time, these are one of their best sellers.

Ranch Wings (Or as they call them Wild West Wings)
2 packets dry ranch seasoning mix
2 cups mayo
2 cups margarine

Mix all that together. Fry up your wings (that's enough for like 30-40). Toss the now hot wings in the sauce and once they're coated place them on a cooling rack on a baking sheet. Bake them for 5 minutes after being coated in a 350* oven. This melts most of the gloop off and what's left is pretty rad.

Now does anyone have a good lemon pepper wing recipe? Is it just lemon pepper seasoning + butter? I'd also love a good garlic wing recipe. Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blacquethoven
Nov 29, 2003

Croatoan posted:

I'd also love a good garlic wing recipe. Any suggestions?

garlic + parmesan + butter

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
A good wing sauce is 1 part teriyaki sauce, 1 part buffalo wing sauce.

That's my contribution to topic. Namaste.

blacquethoven
Nov 29, 2003
has anyone ever tried koji marinated chicken? this article got me interested

http://www.cooksscience.com/recipes...mpaign=csrecipe

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
I've never done anything lemon pepper that wasn't just lemon juice to wet + good shake of lp seasoning.

My contribution: A local french/vietnamese place does a loving amazing tamarind-lime wing that I cannot duplicate to save my life. I want.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I don't remember where I found this, for garlic parm wings, but I'm into it

1.5 lbs wings (= 10 full wings = 20 wingettes)
1.5 tsp seasoned salt (salt, tiny bit paprika, onion powder)
Tiny bit cayenne
.75 tsp pepper
1.75 tsp garlic powder
1.5 Tbsp melted butter
2.5 Tbsp parmesan

Mix seasonings and butter and pour over chicken after cooking; then sprinkle Parmesan over the whole thing.

Old Bay wings are also excellent.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Salt and szechuan pepper wings are buff.

mix the pepper and salt with potato stach, little oil on the wings, dip in the flour.

Deep fry, cover with fried garlic and chili shreds.

Die young and happy.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010
Curry powder wings are the best. Coat liberally with Lalah's madras curry powder or equivalent and dip in garlic raita.

Dry rubbed and barbecue dipped wings are also great.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

This is a great recpie I've been cooking for years, it's spicy garlic amazing:

http://hotsaucedaily.com/week-of-wings-day-7-sriracha-garlic-wings-2010/

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

pr0k posted:

I've never done anything lemon pepper that wasn't just lemon juice to wet + good shake of lp seasoning.

My contribution: A local french/vietnamese place does a loving amazing tamarind-lime wing that I cannot duplicate to save my life. I want.

a Vietnamese lunch joint out by my work makes killer tamarind wings as well. Super crispy, awesome sauce, a few green onions. Would love to learn how to make it

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Anne Whateley posted:

I don't remember where I found this, for garlic parm wings, but I'm into it

1.5 lbs wings (= 10 full wings = 20 wingettes)
1.5 tsp seasoned salt (salt, tiny bit paprika, onion powder)
Tiny bit cayenne
.75 tsp pepper
1.75 tsp garlic powder
1.5 Tbsp melted butter
2.5 Tbsp parmesan

Mix seasonings and butter and pour over chicken after cooking; then sprinkle Parmesan over the whole thing.

Old Bay wings are also excellent.

Tried this last weekend, definitely recommend it. Thanks!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Thanks for saying so! I feel like a weirdo not liking regular saucy wings, so good to know someone else likes the drier kind too.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
What should I do with these two big ol turkey wings I have? Not super meaty, but great looking skin. I want to make some kind of jumbo super-buffalo wing, but I have no deep fryer.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Suspect Bucket posted:

What should I do with these two big ol turkey wings I have? Not super meaty, but great looking skin. I want to make some kind of jumbo super-buffalo wing, but I have no deep fryer.

Bake them. Or use them to make stock.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Ultimate Mango posted:

Bake them. Or use them to make stock.

I'll probably bake and sauce then. I've already got a gallon of stock I made from necks, giblets, backs, and feet from the farm's turkey processing party.

They were very happy wings attached to a happy bird, so I want to do right by them and make them the best wings they can be.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 24, 2016

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Suspect Bucket posted:

I'll probably bake and sauce then. I've already got a gallon of stock I made from necks, giblets, backs, and feet from the farm's turkey processing party.

They were very happy wings attached to a happy bird, so I want to do right by them and make them the best wings they can be.

If you're going to bake wings, you should toss them with baking powder (not baking soda!) first. Then let them air-dry on a rack in your fridge for at least a few hours, though giving them a full 10-12 hours by tossing them first thing in the morning and cooking them around dinner time is best. Finally, bake them on a rack, flipping twice through the cooking process.

Tossing the wings with something dry like baking powder will bring the moisture within the skin towards the surface and in the higher pH, more basic environment, the proteins in the skin can break down more easily and the Maillard reaction occurs more quickly, giving crisper, browner wings.

If you just bake wings that you don't do something like this with, you're going to often get skin that is somehow both soggy and leathery at the same time.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I've only ever made wings at home via baking in the oven, 'cos I don't have a deep fryer or a sufficiently strong pot. Any particularly recommended cheapish deep fryers, or should I get some sufficiently durable pot?

(I'd like to be able to do it indoors if one way is safer inside than the other)

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

I've only ever made wings at home via baking in the oven, 'cos I don't have a deep fryer or a sufficiently strong pot. Any particularly recommended cheapish deep fryers, or should I get some sufficiently durable pot?

(I'd like to be able to do it indoors if one way is safer inside than the other)

Cast iron Dutch oven.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ultimate Mango posted:

Cast iron Dutch oven.

Worked brilliantly. These wings are crunchy and delicious!!

Probably gonna regret this later when I have to drain that thing though :(

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I boil the wings for 10-15 first - helps take a lot of the fat off. Then pat them dry and toss them in the oven, and then into your favorite sauce. Sweet Baby Ray's wing sauce has beat out Franks in my Fridge.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I ordered garlic parm wings at a gastropub my wife and I have been frequenting lately...turns out they were basically naked wings with no garlic to speak of, with some pre-shredded parm tossed on them after plating. What a disappointment. At least the burger I had there last time was awesome.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

Ciaphas posted:

A wok works nicely too.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I wouldn't try deep frying in a regular cast iron pan because they're too shallow, but I've had pretty good results just using like 1/4 inch of oil and just flipping them

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

The flour I'll add some bread crumbs to because I like the wings coating to have a thicker crunch. Toss in some black pepper and garlic powder even though it's not like you'll taste it under the sauce. Let that sit for half an hour or more in the fridge then deep fry.

The sauce I just grab a Frank's or hooters wing sauce since I'm a lazy cook and I'll add a bunch of extra cayenne pepper and less than 1/4 tsp of scorpion pepper mash. That usually works well for about half a dozen.
The first time I used pepper mash with the sauce it was reaper pepper. I used closer to 3/4 tsp and yikes. Stars, pretty colors, massive head rush and an amazing body high but good luck enjoying that through the tears.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Finally made those turkey wings up, here's the result. https://imgur.com/gallery/dvj4B

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

They're just a bunch of shapes. Don't read too deeply into it.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Finally made those turkey wings up, here's the result. https://imgur.com/gallery/dvj4B

That looks great! How were they texture-wise? I tried making turkey wings once and they were incredibly tough and stringy.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

A.s.P. posted:

That looks great! How were they texture-wise? I tried making turkey wings once and they were incredibly tough and stringy.

Well, I was careful not to overcook them. They were bony, but in a way that went nicely with the crispy skin and amount of meat you get. Not stringy.

I feel a lot of people way overcook poultry because of salmonella fears, and destroy the flavor. And I do admit that my cooking poultry to less then 165 does put me at increased risk of food poisoning. But that's a risk I am willing to take for deliciousness. I do poultry to 145. And when I get sick, I'll only have myself to blame for not following better food safety practice.

Of course, when dealing with ground meats, cook to the recommended temperature.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jan 1, 2017

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i don't really get the appeal of chicken wings over basically every other bit of the chicken

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Gonna divert with a question on breaded baked chicken tenders or breast filets or whatever we call em nowadays. Suggestions on favorite method for buffalo tenders? I was taught 'dip raw in sauce then in bread crumbs+salt+garlic, bake at 425 on wire rack' but I've seen business with baking powder, flour and eggs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MOAR
Mar 6, 2012

Death! Put your jacket on or you'll get frostbite!

Ciaphas posted:

Gonna divert with a question on breaded baked chicken tenders or breast filets or whatever we call em nowadays. Suggestions on favorite method for buffalo tenders? I was taught 'dip raw in sauce then in bread crumbs+salt+garlic, bake at 425 on wire rack' but I've seen business with baking powder, flour and eggs?

I don't know about the baking powder, but I do a hot sauce version (tabasco or Franks) of that where I marinade the chicken strips with a cup of hot sauce in a ziploc bag for a few hours before preparing.

Then I preheat the oven and coat a baking sheet with a nonstick spray.

On a plate, mix together flour, teaspoon garlic powder, teaspoon cayenne pepper, and teaspoon salt, and the bread crumbs or sometimes I use crackers.

In a bowl I beat 2 egg whites with tablespoon water, to make my egg mixture, you could add the hot sauce at this stage if you dont want the ziploc version.

Dip the chicken in the egg mixture, then roll in the seasoned bread crumb mixture and place on the prepared baking sheet.

Finally, bake in the preheated oven. Use tongs to turn pieces over and bake longer, or until chicken juices run clear, it's around 20 minutes depending.

• Locked thread