Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

RasperFat posted:

However, they haven't done anything positive in the last few decades that I can think of.
They've spent the last 10 years absolutely killing it on gun rights. Which is admittedly pretty easy against the party of "shoulder thing that goes up" but is still a big deal for lots of people.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

White Rock posted:

These questions could just as well be directed towards democrats the last couple of decades...

I mean one big ticket item why Hillary lost was her technocratic attitudes and her steadfast commitment to the status quo.

I feel like this sentence puts to much emphasize on tone rather then policies. Let's try to avoid the trap that so many technocratic parties fell into, the idea that the content is the problem, it's the presentation...

Trump had rhetoric on his side, yes, but many of his actual policies were unthinkable even among his own party ( binning TTIP, the reevaluation of NAFTA, standing up to China) and their radical nature made him extremely popular (as well as his own party sidelining him, effectively him an outsider, a rebel, a eccentric strongman rather then the dopey Cheeto puff he is).

Except that the Democrats do have a lot of things they can point to? TANF, saving the auto industry, protecting veterans, killing Bin Laden, and at least some other things that Americans can rally behind.

I'm not saying our strategy switches to only tearing down the myth that Republicans are good for "business" or anything at all. Having effective policies is part and parcel to this narrative. "Republicans gently caress things up with the disastrous policies that hurt working Americans. Here is our plan to help you."

Rent-A-Cop posted:

They've spent the last 10 years absolutely killing it on gun rights. Which is admittedly pretty easy against the party of "shoulder thing that goes up" but is still a big deal for lots of people.

I suppose this is a single area where the optics are in their favor. People were never in danger of having their guns taken away or being able to buy a fancy new deadly toy. They sure as hell think so though.

The problem here is this is a big deal only for a small percentage of Americans, who likely vote R in 90+% and will never be swayed. Progressive gun owners do not go into a frenzy because mentally ill people are barred from gun access or you have to wait a few days to get your gun. In fact the overwhelming majority (~80%) of Americans actually want tougher restrictions on gun ownership. But the RWM whines about it so much it seems like half of America wants an assault rifle in every (white) living room.

The American people are still on the Democrats side with gun control, so a reasonably charismatic politician could easily push gun control. And it still doesn't represent helpings anyone in meaningful way. It wouldn't sell well if you attacked them on it.

R: "We have defended second amendment. That is how we have protected America and helped Americans"

D: "How did waiting periods and background checks harm Americans or even threaten the right to bear arms? What did this do to actually help any American families?"

If the Democrats weren't so spineless it's not that hard to fight back against this bullshit.

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

KomradeX posted:

I think the one take away is how Neo- Liberalism has redefined talking about Class issues as meaning you don't care about social issues. This was 4 years ago and we saw it brought to a crescendo this past election. It's always been a false dichotomy that has been foisted upon us by the Liberals pay masters. The divide had always been between the people fighting for the rights of the working class and oppressed minorities and the people like Schumer and Clinton who have forced this wedge so that they can appeal to be socially conscious while doubling down on the retrenchment of the capital class.

I think the approach of deriding economic justice advocates an labelling them opponents of social justice are pretty strong in the vox populi of the actual left at this point.

This manifests in the derision that many voices here and in the media have for sanders supporters.

Back when the election just finished up an you had a significant amount of our famous so called 'progressives' defending hillary as a choice candidate speaks to the reality that the left is actually hosed at the bottom an not just at the top.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Sethex posted:

I think the approach of deriding economic justice advocates an labelling them opponents of social justice are pretty strong in the vox populi of the actual left at this point.

This manifests in the derision that many voices here and in the media have for sanders supporters.

Back when the election just finished up an you had a significant amount of our famous so called 'progressives' defending hillary as a choice candidate speaks to the reality that the left is actually hosed at the bottom an not just at the top.

you can still see the vitriol democrats have for sanders' supporters all over d&d

people still blame sanders and "bernie bros" for hillary's loss. its pretty unreal.

their obsessive desperation to pin the failures of the democratic party on someone else is almost comical.

but ultimately just depressing because their "with us or against us" mentality will most likely preclude any actually changes.

look for dissension from the left to be violently clamped down on in the future under the banner of "not letting another trump win"

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

RaySmuckles posted:

you can still see the vitriol democrats have for sanders' supporters all over d&d

people still blame sanders and "bernie bros" for hillary's loss. its pretty unreal.

their obsessive desperation to pin the failures of the democratic party on someone else is almost comical.

but ultimately just depressing because their "with us or against us" mentality will most likely preclude any actually changes.

look for dissension from the left to be violently clamped down on in the future under the banner of "not letting another trump win"

Unlikley, mostly I am seeing the third way types on the defensive when it comes to snipe fests. Helps that they tend to be over 60 so they are dying.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

RasperFat posted:

I suppose this is a single area where the optics are in their favor. People were never in danger of having their guns taken away or being able to buy a fancy new deadly toy. They sure as hell think so though.
This post evidences a truly staggering inability to think outside your own narrative.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

This post evidences a truly staggering inability to think outside your own narrative.

How so? When has the law abiding population been in danger of losing access to guns in America? I'm asking this sincerely.

I should also note that I actually like guns and have no problem with people owning them. I've never owned one, but I have used shotguns, rifles, and pistols on ranges and it's quite enjoyable.

Unfortunately, there is a sizeable portion of gun obsessed Americans, and they have been inundated, mostly by propaganda from the NRA, that any laws relating to guns are a sure path to the "pussification" of America, and/or an impending tyrannical government.

Magically, every other developed nation that isn't armed to the teeth somehow manages to not have their governments brutally oppress their citizens, but hey American exceptionalism.

Keeping your guns for an impending revolution is a childish wet dream. The U.S. Government is so absurdly powerful in military that it is historically unprecedented. Any arms you could legally buy would be borderline useless against the full might of the U.S. Armed Forces, especially within their own borders where they have fully stocked bases scattered across the entire country. Not to mention the aircraft, homefield knowledge, and surveillance state.

The only way to counter that is to let private citizens have modern gen SAMs, extremely potent explosives, tanks, and all the other high end military hardware. This is obviously ridiculous, because people are not ok with their alarmingly racist, authoritarian, and detached neighbor having a fully loaded Blackhawk in their backyard.

Even civilian guns are deadly tools. They can be extremely useful for people living in rural areas for hunting and pest control, and for deterrents and emergency defense a la LEO and security (like armored cash cars).

But having a gun for home defense is statistically more likely to shoot the owner or the owners family than some home invader. Gun ownership needs to be responsible. The people clamoring that a mandatory background check for a powerful killing machine is tyranny are not responsible.

As I said Democrats have a horrible grasp on the gun narrative, and the Republicans have been shits that are just catering to the gun manufacturers, which is why they want no regulations. Ironically, gun sales generally spike when Democrats have national control, as unwarranted fear of their guns being banned or taken away causes a surge of rubes to buy more guns. Again, magically, no one ever tried to stop them from buying guns or take away the ones they have. But they feel like they did, and we live in a post fact world where feelings outweigh reality.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

RasperFat posted:

The only way to counter that is to let private citizens have modern gen SAMs, extremely potent explosives, tanks, and all the other high end military hardware. This is obviously ridiculous, because people are not ok with their alarmingly racist, authoritarian, and detached neighbor having a fully loaded Blackhawk in their yard.

When the country was founded, if you had the money a private citizen could buy a battleship. (Ship outfitted with cannons)

My "Hit the lottery" dream has always been to have a F4 Phantom and fly it around :ohdear:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Gun control in this country has never taken guns away; anything banned prospectively had always had a grandfather clause for existing guns

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Gun control in this country has never taken guns away; anything banned prospectively had always had a grandfather clause for existing guns

Not the case.
Generally the bans at the state level require that the firearm be transferred or sold to another state by a given dates or turned into the police for destruction. This is a taking.
Even in instances where possession of a firearm is grandfathered, that possession is tied to one person and must be transferred out of the jurisdiction or turned over to the government during probate.

Gun control is such a stupid issue to chase for so many reasons (like being stupid policy) but chief among them is that it brings out more of the Republican base than it does the democrat.

I'd post more detail, but phones.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Having completely abandoned any pretense of helping workers, let alone the poor, Democrats started pushing guns as the real reason the inner city was terrible. Not you know, crushing poverty.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Having completely abandoned any pretense of helping workers, let alone the poor, Democrats started pushing guns as the real reason the inner city was terrible. Not you know, crushing poverty.

Yeah pretty much, and it is also a bit embarrassing when Democrats working with Republicans that helped achieve much of it. Gun control is mostly a diversion, although I don't think the gun culture is anyway healthy.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 4, 2017

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

MattD1zzl3 posted:

When the country was founded, if you had the money a private citizen could buy a battleship. (Ship outfitted with cannons)

My "Hit the lottery" dream has always been to have a F4 Phantom and fly it around :ohdear:

I know this is mostly :thejoke:, but how different early America was is staggering. Only like 6% of the population could vote (15% excluding slaves), and those who had enough money to buy a merchant ship and outfit it were part of that small percentage of Americans able to vote. They effectively were the government because the voting class was so drat small.

Also, there was actually a good chance pirates or the British would come and shoot cannons at you and steal your poo poo and maybe make you work for the Royal Navy. In modern times, this poo poo doesn't happen (except around Africa/SE Asia, but most waters are pretty protected at this point, and U.S. waters are definitely safe).

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Proud Christian Mom posted:

I just heard about some city yesterday where the police put up a billboard saying there were 200 murders in the last decade and they were asking for raises. Maybe people wouldn't have to resort to violence if the wealth was shared better? Pigs

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
but will it solve racism?

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

RasperFat posted:

How so? When has the law abiding population been in danger of losing access to guns in America? I'm asking this sincerely.
Yeah, that, if Sandy Hook didn't result in gun control nothing loving will.

RasperFat posted:

But having a gun for home defense is statistically more likely to shoot the owner or the owners family than some home invader. Gun ownership needs to be responsible. The people clamoring that a mandatory background check for a powerful killing machine is tyranny are not responsible.
The requirements for owning and operating a car (which, after all, kills people only through user error) should be the bare minimum for gun ownership, but good loving luck.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

U.T. Raptor posted:

The requirements for owning and operating a car (which, after all, kills people only through user error) should be the bare minimum for gun ownership, but good loving luck.

To fight off the people clutching their bibles and guns thinking Dems are the devil (if Dems were smart), the dems should go the opposite way, say free guns for all, especially minorities.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

got any sevens posted:

To fight off the people clutching their bibles and guns thinking Dems are the devil (if Dems were smart), the dems should go the opposite way, say free guns for all, especially minorities.
That worked to get gun control in CA. Nothing scares pearl-clutching morons and suburbanites like the idea of an armed minority.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
The problem is that minorities are the people who most support gun control, though even there attitudes are starting to shift. Because for them handguns mean shootouts in front of their house, not protecting their house. Giving up on gun control is yet another attempt to woo Republican moderate voters by turning on the base. It never works. They will always vote for the real Republican.

Democrats should back off on the most stupid gun control proposals, but they shouldn't back down on the proposals that do have popular support.

quote:

To be sure, attitudes toward guns are still deeply divided along racial lines, with 60 percent of blacks prioritizing controls on gun ownership over protecting gun rights, while 61 percent of whites say they consider gun rights more important than gun controls, according to a December poll by the Pew Reserch Center.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-africanamerican-guns-idUSKCN0PP2N320150715

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

U.T. Raptor posted:

Yeah post Sandy Hook and all the other mass shootings is what I was referencing when I said Americans are largely in favor of gun control. If I remember correctly, 80% of Americans are in favor of stricter gun control.

I also said before that the majority of gun owners have no problem with not allowing mentally ill people to own guns/mandatory background checks. But the NRA has poisoned the narrative so much that he idea that gun owners should be responsible/licensed is equated with straight up tyranny.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

RasperFat posted:

Yeah post Sandy Hook and all the other mass shootings is what I was referencing when I said Americans are largely in favor of gun control. If I remember correctly, 80% of Americans are in favor of stricter gun control.

You don't remember correctly. Gun control is a bad policy and a losing issue. Giving it up isn't an attempt to woo Republican voters, it's putting the red cape down in the face of a bull. You get more Democratic response on other issues.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

RasperFat posted:

I also said before that the majority of gun owners have no problem with not allowing mentally ill people to own guns/mandatory background checks. But the NRA has poisoned the narrative so much that he idea that gun owners should be responsible/licensed is equated with straight up tyranny.

You'll have 80% of the country saying they're in favor of stricter gun control but when you poll them about specifics they don't like any of the proposals. It's like "tough on crime" people like it in theory but it tends to lead to a lot of dumb poo poo that people hate.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Reading Michigan news, I just bumped into this piece about how midwestern unions turned from Bernie to Trump:

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2017/02/at_dnc_forum_in_detroit_democr.html

quote:

United Steelworkers Local 1999 President Chuck Jones -- who was singled out for criticism by Trump on Twitter after he said Trump had "lied his rear end off" when he claimed to have saved 1,100 jobs at Carrier's plant in Indianapolis -- said from his experience, he'd never seen more enthusiasm from workers for a presidential candidate than Bernie Sanders.

That enthusiasm dropped off for Democrats after Sanders lost his bid for the presidential ticket, Jones said.

"When Bernie got put out of the primary, a lot of our folks were starting to drink Trump's Kool-Aid," Jones said. "We couldn't bring them back in."

Jones said for many of the workers he'd interacted with during the election, Democrat Hillary Clinton was the wrong candidate on trade issues: "What the hell is Hillary going to argue? She couldn't. Her husband was the one that gave us NAFTA."

If Democrats want to be successful in the future, Jones said, the party has to pay more attention to the labor community.

"For the working-class people, jobs are what we are interested in - we're not asking for handouts, we're asking for an opportunity to work," he said. "I'm asking you, I'm telling you, we need to get labor back in that boat."

I saw Democrats ignoring unions back in 2012 - I was a member of AFT local 3550, and OFA was happy to use us for volunteer door-knocking hours, but they weren't at all interested in our issues. Our staff organizer put it nicely: "They were happy to have us help with their poo poo, but our poo poo wasn't even a little bit important."

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

a foolish pianist posted:

Reading Michigan news, I just bumped into this piece about how midwestern unions turned from Bernie to Trump:

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2017/02/at_dnc_forum_in_detroit_democr.html

I saw Democrats ignoring unions back in 2012 - I was a member of AFT local 3550, and OFA was happy to use us for volunteer door-knocking hours, but they weren't at all interested in our issues. Our staff organizer put it nicely: "They were happy to have us help with their poo poo, but our poo poo wasn't even a little bit important."

This vibes with the feeling I've gotten from a lot of Democrats. Basically everyone should be helping and voting for them because the Republicans are so bad, but if they want anything in return they are entitled or not being Serious enough. There's only so long that attitude can hold out before people just don't bother and we seem to have hit that point last year.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?

Radish posted:

This vibes with the feeling I've gotten from a lot of Democrats. Basically everyone should be helping and voting for them because the Republicans are so bad, but if they want anything in return they are entitled or not being Serious enough. There's only so long that attitude can hold out before people just don't bother and we seem to have hit that point last year.

You'd think, but republican's have been doing the same thing from the opposite side and their voting base is rock solid.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Radish posted:

Dems following the Labour party's lead, right into irrelevance!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Gustav posted:

You'd think, but republican's have been doing the same thing from the opposite side and their voting base is rock solid.

Republican politicians have been solid on racism, xenophobia, and other social issues like that which is their underlying support from their voters. They can screw over their voters a good deal as long as it looks like they are screwing over everyone else more. Republican voters are spiteful and cowardly before all else.

Democrats no longer have a real base to count on since they abandoned labor, they get votes depending on how terrible their opponent is. Their policies are basically tepid fiscal conservatism combined with not being absolute fuckers on social stuff but generally waiting for public sentiment to turn before doing anything good or ratfucking them if they are in the way of big business (see Hillary's comments on the DAPL protesters or supporting Charter Schools which basically are a back door to re-segregation and abandoning special needs students). That's an overly simplistic synopsis but honestly I've been really discouraged by the Democrats in terms of social protections which is supposed to be 90% of why we are voting them in.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 5, 2017

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

RasperFat posted:

Keeping your guns for an impending revolution is a childish wet dream. The U.S. Government is so absurdly powerful in military that it is historically unprecedented. Any arms you could legally buy would be borderline useless against the full might of the U.S. Armed Forces, especially within their own borders where they have fully stocked bases scattered across the entire country. Not to mention the aircraft, homefield knowledge, and surveillance state.
This is a really, really dumb argument. As though making casual oppression vastly more difficult is a useless exercise, because if the US government decided to turn the full might of its military on its own population we'd be powerless to stop it. Setting aside whether that's a true thing, you need only consider the difference between a protest numbering in the hundreds of thousands, where one-third or so of the people there are doing open carry, versus one where none of them are because they are expressly prohibited from doing so. There are many scenarios between where we are now, and the US military waging an extermination campaign against its own people. In more than a few of them an armed population will help keep our government in check.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

got any sevens posted:

Dems following the Labour party's lead, right into irrelevance!
I fail to see the advantage gained by having a center-right party moving steadily further to the right, and a far-right party dragging it there, versus just having a one-party state. If the Democratic party moves left and sinks to the bottom of the sea because of it, then we've learned our country and our people were beyond saving all along, and we've lost very little. I'm almost at the point where I'd prefer a one-party state - at least in that case our full focus could be on reforming the GOP.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Kilroy posted:

This is a really, really dumb argument. As though making casual oppression vastly more difficult is a useless exercise, because if the US government decided to turn the full might of its military on its own population we'd be powerless to stop it. Setting aside whether that's a true thing, you need only consider the difference between a protest numbering in the hundreds of thousands, where one-third or so of the people there are doing open carry, versus one where none of them are because they are expressly prohibited from doing so. There are many scenarios between where we are now, and the US military waging an extermination campaign against its own people. In more than a few of them an armed population will help keep our government in check.

Drop the fantasies, large scale civilian gun ownership will not do anything against the most modern, powerful military on the planet. If you wanted large scale resistance in such an absurd scenario then your best bet would be that large chunks of the army would desert, which is usually the most critical part of ensuring a protracted civil war in many countries.

In any event an overbearing federal government isn't really the problem, its almost the opposite. The country's beset with poorly developed social safety nets that are continually attacked, inequality is continually rising and the government is doing an increasingly poor job at representing its citizens and protecting them from the deprivations of capital. We're already in a world of high civilian armament and it hasn't really helped these issues at all.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

khwarezm posted:

Drop the fantasies, large scale civilian gun ownership will not do anything against the most modern, powerful military on the planet. If you wanted large scale resistance in such an absurd scenario then your best bet would be that large chunks of the army would desert, which is usually the most critical part of ensuring a protracted civil war in many countries.

In any event an overbearing federal government isn't really the problem, its almost the opposite. The country's beset with poorly developed social safety nets that are continually attacked, inequality is continually rising and the government is doing an increasingly poor job at representing its citizens and protecting them from the deprivations of capital. We're already in a world of high civilian armament and it hasn't really helped these issues at all.

I disagree. Our modern military has shown itself to be really, really bad at dealing with widespread insurgency since Vietnam. Now, I'm not sure what would happen to result in a wide-scale insurgency in America. It obviously didn't happen under Obama, when we came closest to it within the lifetimes of most posters on this forum. Turns out cyber-warriors with Rascals are paper tigers.

Now, I'm not sure that guns are really necessary since IEDs are pretty easy to make. But I don't think ISIS et al. would be as successful without also having guns. So, if we want to create an anti-government insurgency using asymmetrical warfare as a model, then I don't see why "patriotic" gun owners couldn't beat the US military or at least ground them to a standstill. Obviously in a traditional war a la Civil War II the insurgents would lose but so what? That isn't how wars are fought anymore.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Shbobdb posted:

I disagree. Our modern military has shown itself to be really, really bad at dealing with widespread insurgency since Vietnam. Now, I'm not sure what would happen to result in a wide-scale insurgency in America. It obviously didn't happen under Obama, when we came closest to it within the lifetimes of most posters on this forum. Turns out cyber-warriors with Rascals are paper tigers.

Now, I'm not sure that guns are really necessary since IEDs are pretty easy to make. But I don't think ISIS et al. would be as successful without also having guns. So, if we want to create an anti-government insurgency using asymmetrical warfare as a model, then I don't see why "patriotic" gun owners couldn't beat the US military or at least ground them to a standstill. Obviously in a traditional war a la Civil War II the insurgents would lose but so what? That isn't how wars are fought anymore.

Comparisons to things like Vietnam are intrinsically flawed because first, especially in Vietnam's case, the conception of it as a grassroots insurgency is only part of the story. There was a literal regular state army in the form of the NVA that already had decades of fighting under its belt that was arrayed against the United States, which itself had assistance from other Communist nations. This was way, way beyond a collection of survivalist gun enthusiasts forming a militia out in the sticks, it was an undeclared war with an existing country that could marshal significant industry and manpower.

Second, it was a foreign occupation trying to prop a government with next to no popular legitimacy (likewise Iraq and Afghanistan) which brings with it totally different tactics and expectations. If you want to know what would be more comparable to hypothetical 'Civil War 2' (coming to theaters 2023) Syria would be the best example, and there you see the full force of state power, a state much weaker and with a military much less advanced than the US I might add, unleashing utterly ruthless levels of destruction against its own population and it looks like that determined brutality will slowly push the war to a conclusion in their favor. In part that's because the leadership and demographics who represent the government forces there are facing much higher stakes than their counterparts in America during their recent wars. When America lost in Vietnam it was loss of face and international influence in Southeast Asia. For the losers of major civil wars it often means loss of life or loss of their homes forever. Even if it didn't come to that level I find it exceedingly unlikely that the US government would just roll over in the event that a genuine insurgency did break out since it would tell the nation and the world that it is unwilling to enforce its own legitimacy and authority within its own borders, which is antithetical to the modern nation state.

Its not like any of this is reasonably going to happen in our lifetime, but I wish people didn't so casually talk about how guns could be used to fight the government since I don't think they've really thought through what exactly that would entail or the repercussions of real life civil wars and insurgencies.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Kilroy posted:

I have to simply disagree. I want people to be able to own guns, and they are certainly useful in protests.

However, their usefulness is limited to keeping LEO and maybe some national guard from being trigger happy with tear gas/batons/tasers/bean bag guns.

It can also help minorities protect their rights against local yahoos and racist police departments. Again this is limited to your city/state officials and residents.

Having 50,000 Americans show up with guns to the capitol could seriously encourage military action against protesters. And the optics wouldn't be that bad because that's a loving army descending on official government institutions.

As another poster said before, if Trump went the Syria route on response to civil unrest, we are all hosed unless there is mass desertions in our armed forces. And if thousands of people are showing up with guns it gives a good god drat excuse to just carpet bomb the protesters.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I'm so sorry I mentioned gun control and set off the idiot bomb.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

I didn't want to derail the Trump thread with election chat, but after his dumpster fire conference he just had I was reminded how bad Trump is at answering questions.

I don't know if it's because I took debate classes with longer speaking times since the last election, but were the debate response times shortened in the 2016 elections?

I tried to google but couldn't easily find how much time is given to each candidate in previous debates. Trump falls apart after 2-3 minutes max when trying to make a coherent response, so a five minute response is untenable for him.

It felt like they made the responses only 3 minutes in the debates, and that seemed really short. Did they switch this up to make Trump not look completely incompetent, or do candidates usually only get 2-3 minutes to respond. Genuinely curious.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Every debate has set its own rules, sometimes they do 5, sometimes even more oldschool and set like 15mins as the timer. Depends on which network does it and their target audience (and advertisers) which also determines how many and what type of questions they take/prepare.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Another problem was that from the get-go the Republican debates had 10 clowns on stage at once with about 2 hours of air time total.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

got any sevens posted:

Every debate has set its own rules, sometimes they do 5, sometimes even more oldschool and set like 15mins as the timer. Depends on which network does it and their target audience (and advertisers) which also determines how many and what type of questions they take/prepare.

I was just wondering because all three debates seemed to have short responses with a lot of interruptions. Seriously LOL if one of them had decided to do 15 min not allowing any interruptions with Trump.

• Locked thread