Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
reddd88
May 15, 2014
Six months ago, I convinced my SO to adopt a hairless cat. His name is Bagheera. And now I'm a real life cat lady. He's a hand full: bathing every week, wiping poop from his butt like a child, potty training like a child... Ok, he's my child.

Here's our life.

"YASSSS. It's so warm in here."

Thug life

"You're going to pay for this picture." We still don't have this down yet :(

Those eyes

EXHAUSTED. "Let me be woman."

So sophisticated

CuddleBAT

"Just... No ma"

"GOD drat IT, ANDREA. I thought we discussed this!"

"What are you doing to me???"

"I'm pooping in this woman's shoes later."

"HAHA! Just kidding, I'm pooping in her pants while she's pooping!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

backpackgirl
Jan 31, 2006
Made in Canada
Aww so cute. I want one. But my roommates current cat situation is "she is the queen. Do not bring any other animal in this house. Or I will poop in your bed. "

Lucky.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i want to kiss him. is his skin super warm?

reddd88
May 15, 2014

Avshalom posted:

i want to kiss him. is his skin super warm?

Very warm; perfect for kisses although he doesn't quite appreciate them. Plus, even a few days after his weekly bath he starts to get a little stinky.

triteon
Feb 20, 2005

Do you have any advice on where to adopt one, or did you get lucky? We've been looking for one for a while.

fluffykittys
Aug 22, 2016

I can't hear you over the sound of me licking my own anus.
Peeps need to be posting more pictures. I need the cute

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
There's a goon with a sphynx who posts in PYF. Hope they don't mind me culling from the PYF threads.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Hello yes please post more of this nude gremlin thanks.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
God, they're hideous. I love them.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
How do you bathe a Sphynx anyway? I would assume they get used to it from an early age so they're not quite as likely to kill you as conventional cats.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Seat Safety Switch posted:

How do you bathe a Sphynx anyway? I would assume they get used to it from an early age so they're not quite as likely to kill you as conventional cats.

Ours complains the entire time and will try to jump out if you get distracted, but otherwise just sort of tolerates it and waits for death.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

triteon posted:

Do you have any advice on where to adopt one, or did you get lucky? We've been looking for one for a while.

We got ours from here: http://www.skeenville.com/

A friend who works with a bunch of rescues and such referred us. Unfortunately, due to irresponsible breeding in the past, the breed does have a problem with genetic heart issues. You really need to find a reputable breeder, and the woman who runs this cattery is one of the ones leading the charge to stamp out this problem. She absolutely guarantees her kittens will not develop a congenital heart thing, her cats are scanned almost to excess and she works with other breeders to add more diversity.

We kind of got lucky, usually there's a massive waiting list for kittens with good breeders like this. We applied and got on it, then the person who was supposed to get this little girl bailed for some reason. Apparently our application was so good she bumped us up knowing we'd take her instantly (I was a vet tech for a few years, we are both getting doctorates and learned everything we could about the breed so we know what we're doing, etc.).

It went from "maybe we'll get one next year some time" to "poo poo this thing will be here next week". I still can't believe I spent more on a cat than I ever have on a computer or furniture, or that I had to go pick her up at the airport.....

EDIT: Here's some bonus nakedness. You should get one of these for your goblin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8pCaCXU-2U

BaronVonVaderham fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 4, 2016

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

My bf and I are planning on getting a little goblin once we get a house in the near future. Any advice you can offer future owners? Do you make them wear adorable stupid outfits?

I've been looking at this breeder: http://www.beeblebroxsphynx.com/

She gets high marks in my book for showing and being very health conscious in regards to HCM in both her cats and the overall breed. Only thing that irks me is she seems to have a lot of litters on the ground at once. But I'm more familiar with dog breeders than catteries so I could be totally wrong on both counts. Do they look okay?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

My bf and I are planning on getting a little goblin once we get a house in the near future. Any advice you can offer future owners? Do you make them wear adorable stupid outfits?

I've been looking at this breeder: http://www.beeblebroxsphynx.com/

She gets high marks in my book for showing and being very health conscious in regards to HCM in both her cats and the overall breed. Only thing that irks me is she seems to have a lot of litters on the ground at once. But I'm more familiar with dog breeders than catteries so I could be totally wrong on both counts. Do they look okay?

They look great. I agree they have a lot of litters, but looking at their litter history I don't think they're overbreeding their cats, they just have a LOT of queens. They do annual HCM screening on their breeding cats.

I'll ask my friend who does the rescues and stuff if she's heard of them, and maybe even the breeder we got Rexie from to see if they've ever exchanged cats.

It's a personal thing, but I also respect putting effort into their website (I work as a web developer right now). poo poo's dirt cheap and dead simple, so it's a huge red flag to me if a place is too lazy to put together a respectable website (or is in it for the money and doesn't want to waste precious kitten proceeds on contracting someone to build it).

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

BaronVonVaderham posted:

They look great. I agree they have a lot of litters, but looking at their litter history I don't think they're overbreeding their cats, they just have a LOT of queens. They do annual HCM screening on their breeding cats.

I'll ask my friend who does the rescues and stuff if she's heard of them, and maybe even the breeder we got Rexie from to see if they've ever exchanged cats.

It's a personal thing, but I also respect putting effort into their website (I work as a web developer right now). poo poo's dirt cheap and dead simple, so it's a huge red flag to me if a place is too lazy to put together a respectable website (or is in it for the money and doesn't want to waste precious kitten proceeds on contracting someone to build it).

I've yet to find a breeder website that was in any way decent. I'm just happy if they don't have embedded midi files that auto-play.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Thanks!

Yeah, I know what you mean about the website. I found her via looking for local catteries (I'm in Ohio, she's in Michigan) and all the other local websites look like they were made in 1998. And they all were breeding outcrosses like Dwelfs and some other bs. And not showing. Or testing.

It wasn't a hard decision to pick Beeblebrox, lemme put it that way.

If you want a good laugh, look up Beeblebrox cattery on google and read their complaints on the few websites that come up. It's awesome crazy cat lady batshit nonsense. People impersonating breeders, the actual breeders coming to respond, all caps and bad grammar galore. I feel awful they come up so readily on searches for the cattery, but it's so easy to dismiss that it's comical.

In preparation, I bought my current two cats a heated bed for Christmas. They now basically live in it.

reddd88
May 15, 2014

triteon posted:

I looked on hoobly.com for a long time before I found him. He was relatively cheap (read: $925). I follow a few on social media sites and they get close to $2500! Where are you located?

reddd88
May 15, 2014

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Very carefully. Bagheera doesn't like it but tolerates it.

reddd88
May 15, 2014
Some more pictures of the Goblin. Funnily enough, we going going to name him either Smeago, Gollum or Dobby.

That's right, he loves his Doctor Who blanket... and this toy ball.

"I see you creepin woman."

"Let me outside you devil of a woman."

reddd88
May 15, 2014
We also had a heck of a time trying to get him to stop sucking on himself. We got him when he was 4 months old so he had plenty of time with his mom (they usually suckle themselves if they've been removed from mom too soon). He finally just stopped on his own but we were worried because he was doing it too hard and leaving open wounds on himself :(

Trying to protect his skin:

Also, CAT NUTS:

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Prepare to have an enormous collection of cat clothes one day.

The fancier the better.

reddd88
May 15, 2014

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Prepare to have an enormous collection of cat clothes one day.

The fancier the better.

I love it!

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Do baby clothes fit on a cat? This is important.

reddd88
May 15, 2014

Good question... no babies in this household.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

They do not. They're also really restrictive. Babies just lie there like disgusting lumps, cats move and run and jump and are really bendy.

The stuff we have tends to not have any sleeves, has a nice loose neck hole, and ends on the belly well ahead of where it ends on the back so it doesn't trip up their back legs.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

BaronVonVaderham posted:

They do not. They're also really restrictive. Babies just lie there like disgusting lumps, cats move and run and jump and are really bendy.

The stuff we have tends to not have any sleeves, has a nice loose neck hole, and ends on the belly well ahead of where it ends on the back so it doesn't trip up their back legs.

But not a super-loose neck hole, otherwise they'll start putting their feet through it.

This has been the best pattern I could find for sewing your own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
I love them so much! I kind of want to seek one out since my kitty passed. My dear departed Goomba was a Siamese nubtail mutt thing and she had the best personality. Spinxes have the Siamese look so I'm wondering if they have the Siamese demeanor. Sort of outgoing and friendly when they want to be, playful and very vocal. Always on your lap and yowling when they aren't. That's what I loved about my Goomba. If they look like a weird leathery batcat that's all the better.

• Locked thread