Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Yeah Seraphon are great. In fact, I'd go so far as to say you'll be tickled pink when you play them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Booyah- posted:

Does anyone have the Storm of Sigar mini box-set? I've only seen one page of the battleplans it has, but they seem great for getting friends to roll dice with just a few models on the table. I'd buy it but I don't really need the sigmarines or khorne dudes.

I went out an bought this because it's a pretty good deal. I'm surprised how much I like the models, I didn't realize how large they were and there's a ton of easy-to-paint detail. Also having all the warscrolls as physical cards is going to be really helpful for my friends. I'm still sad that they killed WFB but I'm pleasantly surprised how much I like this.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

kingcom posted:

Steampunk Duradins

Stormfront Eternals

Ur-gold Diggers

The real names are funnier, you literally can't make up funnier ones lol

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I don't know. Stormfront Eternals is pretty funny.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Well check out this blast from the past.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
It's amazing how they've managed to recreate the spirit of the model while also making it look like it's morbidly obese to match the current aesthetic.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SteelMentor posted:

Well check out this blast from the past.

+1 for Slambo, -100 for picking the laziest sculpt.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
SLAMBO owns and I want one.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Agreed.

Hell, I play Skaven and I'm thinking of getting Slambo. The model itself just has a certain "old world" charm.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
you'd think they'd go with papworth organgrinder given how well he fits into AoS naming conventions

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
ludmilla loinripper and sukiyaki the inscrutable are some real good names

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Last night I was down at Dread Indy Babylon and I got wasted, man! The live bands all sucked but the DJ was alright...

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Floppychop posted:

Agreed.

Hell, I play Skaven and I'm thinking of getting Slambo. The model itself just has a certain "old world" charm.

Can you do this with the comp rules? You just lose your Skaven keyword and revert to Chaos?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

sukiyaki the inscrutable
hahaha they actually did that :doh:

I'm a fan of Sir Gigal de Appliance :allears:

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

mango sentinel posted:

Can you do this with the comp rules? You just lose your Skaven keyword and revert to Chaos?

Yup, but considering there isn't any Skaven specific army bonuses yet it's no big loss.

SLAMBO doesn't seem too bad for a beatstick hero, just gotta wait for his points cost.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
If I use matched play points can I use any matching Warscroll with that name?

Like the dwarf organ gun in the dwarves Battletome is way way better than the Ironweld one. I'm running the dwarves Battletome and it occurs to me that it doesn't actually have points, the points are for dispossessed?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

I end up going with Chaos as my allegiance anyway due to mix and matching Verminus and Skyre.

There is no Skaven allegiance anyway, just the separate clans. And the only thing that gets you is different options for your battleline.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

TKIY posted:

If I use matched play points can I use any matching Warscroll with that name?

Like the dwarf organ gun in the dwarves Battletome is way way better than the Ironweld one. I'm running the dwarves Battletome and it occurs to me that it doesn't actually have points, the points are for dispossessed?

You can use any version of a Warscroll, I think only the tournys care what version of a Warscroll you use.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

SteelMentor posted:

You can use any version of a Warscroll, I think only the tournys care what version of a Warscroll you use.

So my choice of the one that gets d6 shots or the one that gets up to 4d6 shots at the same points value?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I played AoS again. AMA.

tl;dr - old dwarves versus newest tzeentch book means that you can laugh at comparing points because that poo poo ain't balanced, but it's less bullshit than the points free system.

The worst bit was losing on a double turn because a bastard on a disc can scoot 32" to take an instant win objective and you have zero you can do about it. The next generals handbook needs to get rid of the double turn for matched play and then this might have felt like my decisions mattered.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

TKIY posted:

I played AoS again. AMA.

Please describe your experience in terms of fun.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Atlas Hugged posted:

Please describe your experience in terms of fun.

Some parts were fun. Other parts were not.

Unfun: My opponent targeting the crew of my organ gun on turn one and using these special tzeentch dude so he guaranteed they all died turn one without even rolling. Making the crew its own unit is bullshit and makes war machines basically unplayable.

Fun: My dwarven general charging 9" to completely skullfuck the guys who killed the crew.

Unfun: Losing the game on objectives because of a double turn. I lost because I rolled a single die.

Fun: Double tapping a cannon into the middle of a combat.

Unfun: Comparing points cost between books. Ten dwarf Warriors cost me 120pts and are a basic 4+/3+/-1/1 stat line with a 5+ and 1w each. Tzaangors are 180pts but have all these loving synergies, can get healed back, have the same basic statline but with more attacks and two wounds, are faster, get a 6++. That's bullshit.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Sounds an awful lot like the game I watched. Especially the bullshit of the double turn; it's a massive advantage that's totally random.

Though I guess you could use those tzeentch pre-rolled dice on it, maybe? That's even more broken though.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

spectralent posted:

Sounds an awful lot like the game I watched. Especially the bullshit of the double turn; it's a massive advantage that's totally random.

Though I guess you could use those tzeentch pre-rolled dice on it, maybe? That's even more broken though.

You could but he used them to force mortal wounds onto things like cannon crew and used forced ones on bravery tests which coincidentally heal his units.

The tzeentch bonus dice are bullshit because he gets the same number of dice regardless of points. 9 stored dice are way more powerful at 1k than they are at 3k because you have less rolls you need to fudge. It should be two dice per leader or something.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
You know, if GW wanted to have the potential for a double-turn, why didn't they at least make some gesture towards balance and make AoS a game of alternating activations? If you get an extra activation (possibly more if you just have more units than your opponent), you're probably not going to insta-win. Alternating activations also shorten the amount of time you just stare at the board.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

The way activations have been described in FFG's Rune Wars sounds neat, with dials (similar to x-wing) where you hide a selection of a paired up action and initiative. Some actions require you to have worse initiative for the round. Then you reveal them and activate in initiative order.

If they make another Mordheim style game, I hope they introduce alternating activations there.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

The best "strategy" I've been told in regard to the double turn is always have your opponent go first. That way they don't get a double turn.

Which basically turns the game into the standard I go, you go. Except that you always go 2nd.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I guess the counter argument is that it can flip to a double turn for you giving them a chance to get the double later.

I don't know if it's better to have the double turn earlier or later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Off the top of my head, here's what needs to be fixed in match play for this game to feel okay:

Some sort of look out sir for characters so they can be protected by attaching to units.

Base to base measuring standard.

Base to base required for combat. Instead of one and two inch ranges for melee allow two inch weapons to attack as long as they are in contact with a friendly model that is in contact with an event model.

Correct the war machine rules so that the crew only counts for melee and can't be targeted otherwise.

Mortal wounds need to be toned down somehow, anything that completely removes player agency is just bad.

Correct the random order within turns. Roll off D6 is entirely too arbitrary. Maybe something like a seize initiative roll, which while still arbitrary is somewhat more predictable.

• Locked thread