Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Update: The NG motor shares the same bore with the 7A (82.5mm), and they are both High Compression motors, so I suspect the rings will swap. For $30, its honestly a no-loss purchase as either way I can save em for the NG if they don't work on the 7A.

Realistically, there is very little different from each Audi block other than whether the motor was drilled/tapped for oil squirters and turbocharging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Head is off, block is healthy and cams look excellent. Its obviously been burning oil for some time.

Still has original honing marks:

Head will need a rebuild and cleanup:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Gamble did not pay off

Audi 2.3l NG (82.5mm) rings are thicker than the rings for the 2.3l 7A (82.5mm). Oh well, spares for my NG block.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
gently caress. Get measurements. talk to piston manufacturers or machine shops.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

gently caress. Get measurements. talk to piston manufacturers or machine shops.

I already called Total Seal and they do not carry an 82.5mm bore.

I know I can get the rings, I just might have to pay more.

Current list of things left to purchase:
- New Water Pump (discovered the one in the car is plastic. Nope. That's not going back on. And it has a different Timing Belt tooth count than my 10v motors, so can use a spare one)
- New Connecting Rod Bearings due to the tracks on the bearing surfaces
- New Piston Rings
- Rebuilt or New Valve Lifters

Things to do
- Have machine shop press in new valve stem seals.
- Clean the block
- Clean and paint the timing belt covers

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 2, 2017

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Don't a bunch of VW fours take a 82.5mm bore? Try Wiseco?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
So, I got my fuel line for the Black 4kQ, 25 feet worth of it. Unbent it, and didn't quite think it out: Its quite a bit longer than my Garage:

Also: Had a bolt snapped off in the head, I could let the machine shop fix it, but I'm not above doing it myself

A tiny bit off center, but clean and to the correct depth and correct angle for the coolant neck:

Looks great!

• Locked thread