Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Hey guys. I have a low speed steering shake or wobble. It is also audible through the chassis. This has been a thing for the 60k miles I've had this car. It has been through a few sets of tires, two alignments, and a pad and rotor replacement. I thought the tires were cupping or feathering due to bad toe, but that wasn't the cause. Two mechanics have looked at it and found nothing. Rotating tires does nothing, so a wheel isn't bent. I personally replaced the brake rotors and pads. I do not remember if I spun the hub by hand, but if I did, I didn't notice a problem. I'm leaning towards a bearing issue, but one that could only be noticed once under weight, and 60k miles of this I would think I would have seen total failure.

I'm at a loving loss. Have a youtube video of the steering wheel stuttering through what should be a smooth centering:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSmLn0eg5Tc

These wobbles are hands free.

2007 Saab 9-3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Does it steer smoothly with the front end off the ground and no assistance?

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

InitialDave posted:

Does it steer smoothly with the front end off the ground and no assistance?

Haven't tried, but the noise associated with it happens when driving straight and turning, and there is always a slight, tiny, wobble to it no matter the speed. The wobble is speed dependent as at higher speeds the steering shakes a bit when I let go of the wheel straight.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I'm visiting my parents so I don't have my tools. But what I did do is lift the car one side at a time with the oem jack and spun the wheels. It seems like a wheel bearing. Its a bit hard to diagnose with the brake pads rubbing, but one wheel seems to be relatively more tough in one area than the other, and I don't hear the pads dragging at that point either.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Seconding driving it off the ground.
If yes
Find someone with a scan tool that can access your stability control. Im bet it was aligned and nobody reset the steering angle/whatever Saab needs resetting after an alignment. Though your stability light should be on if that's the case.

Loose or worn parts will never cause a shake while coasting I don't care what anybody says.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Nov 27, 2016

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I'll try it off the ground once I get home since I don't have a way of doing that here, well aside from oem jacks, and I'm not doing that.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

What condition are your calipers in? A sticking/seizing caliper can cause exactly those symptoms.

If you have one of those Horror Freight $30 laser thermometers, go shoot your brake rotors after a drive to see if they're the same temperature.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Steering rack bushings? I know Saabs had weak ones on the older cars, enough the make their torque steer even worse.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

DJ Commie posted:

Steering rack bushings? I know Saabs had weak ones on the older cars, enough the make their torque steer even worse.

N00b question: Can power steering do that, like those videos where the lines are backwards, but 1000x less intensity?

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 257 days!)

Gimme a VIN.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Ys3fd59y271140245

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I lifted the car up and ran it, no vibration or noise. Its definitely not the brakes at that point. Steering felt fine as well. So its all related to having weight on it or contacting the ground.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 257 days!)

Couldn't find any TSBs related to your 9-3SS, but I didn't really expect to.

So, you shook the tires when it was up in the air, right?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

DJ Commie posted:

Don't some of the 9-3s also have firewall tearing issues relating to the power steering?

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

West SAAB Story posted:

Couldn't find any TSBs related to your 9-3SS, but I didn't really expect to.

So, you shook the tires when it was up in the air, right?

Well that was dumb of me to not check that. I'll be looking at it again tomorrow. Also, I was staring at the tires today, and I seemed to have missed it, but one is more worn than the other. Toe wouldn't do that since it is self centering, and the center is more worn than the outside, I checked pressure and it wasn't over inflated either. So now I wonder again about the hub. I was only looking at the driver wheel in motion as I was not going to get out of the car with the wheels running in drive. The worn tire is the passenger.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Nov 29, 2016

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I may have missed this earlier, but have you rotated the tires front-to-back? If the shake doesn't change at all, then you know it's not the tires, but if it does, then it's going to point at the tires as at least a component.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Seminal Flu posted:

I may have missed this earlier, but have you rotated the tires front-to-back? If the shake doesn't change at all, then you know it's not the tires, but if it does, then it's going to point at the tires as at least a component.

we have, and changed tires, but I'm not the primary driver, my wife is, and her feedback is poo poo, so I'm wondering if this is something that wears and develops over time. Since the possible symtom is now one tire is worn (and could be causing the vibration now) and it has been raining I told her to get two new cheap tires for now so it doesn't hydroplane. Once I get those on I'll re diagnose. Our talks change hourly on what to do, so for now this is the best thing I can come up with while I'm trying to find the problem and her needing to drive. Worn suspension bushings may do this, and its hard to spot when the car has a spring and swaybar loading things even when its in the air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Got new tires on. I can still feel it but its much, much less. All the symptoms are still there, just more muted, obviously since it hasn't shredded the tire yet. Tracks straight.

I can still hear an uneven rotational hum/wub. Its more quiet now. The steering shake is less pronounced, if you aren't looking for it a person most likely wouldn't notice. Shaking is not noticeable going straight at speed. I did a quick test by driving slow around my work, at around 5mph I would turn the wheel and let it center itself, both hands free and loose finger grip to feel it. The shake is there when it gets closer to center. Steering feels tight. Would a steering mounting issue cause this? Doesn't seem like it, but please speak up. The other option I see is the problem hub. I'll have to get it in the air again. I'm not ruling out worn suspension parts, but I'm not sure how that would play a part.

• Locked thread