Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
Commando is the standard choice, like Lurken said. It'd be like a warrior in any other game. Pretty straightforward and a good class to start farming to fund other characters with.

If there's something combat-wise you *really* like the flavor of, though, I would suggest just going for it, there's nothing that's outright terrible or can't level. Even Medic and Officer (Space Bard) do good damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

I did a little testing today and spent my play time doing the Bespin repeatable entertainer quest to buff players in Mos Eisley and wound up with 4.2m from 4 hours in the Cantina actively interacting with players and not being passive about it.

That's more than my combat character makes in the same period of time without a lucky drop and I had a ton of fun interacting with people. We even had a guy DJ live on Twitch for part of the time.

Being an entertainer main is not only possible its extremely profitable and fun.

Lurken
Nov 10, 2012
Something I really enjoy about entertainer is the breadth of instrument options and ability to create holograms to form your own one man band -I spent way too much time figuring out the perfect combination of instrumentation for one of the marches entertainers learn via natural progression.

Also, it bears mentioning that every instrument has a “classical” variant, so if you get tired of beep boop space synth noises, you can play music with real instruments!

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
The only thing I've found tough so far about Entertaining for cash is knowing where to be when. Mos Eisley cantina is great for finding people in general, but that also means there tend to be other entertainers already set up, and I feel like a jerk swooping in on their hustle. Even going back to the original game, I always preferred finding a more remote spot, where I'd catch people who are off on adventures, but I don't know what normal players are up to or where they're headed.

Legends doesn't seem so populated that you can just set up shop in any old cantina.

It's an interesting flip side to the NGE entertainment situation: it's more interactive, which is cool, but that also makes it more competitive. No more giant supergroups.

Lurken
Nov 10, 2012
There’s always a need for an entertainer at player camps when hunting world bosses since the “meta” seems to be one group zerging constantly to keep aggro while doing chip damage on a mob the size of kansas and quick removal of the cloning debuff is paramount.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Shart Carbuncle posted:

The only thing I've found tough so far about Entertaining for cash is knowing where to be when. Mos Eisley cantina is great for finding people in general, but that also means there tend to be other entertainers already set up, and I feel like a jerk swooping in on their hustle. Even going back to the original game, I always preferred finding a more remote spot, where I'd catch people who are off on adventures, but I don't know what normal players are up to or where they're headed.

Legends doesn't seem so populated that you can just set up shop in any old cantina.

It's an interesting flip side to the NGE entertainment situation: it's more interactive, which is cool, but that also makes it more competitive. No more giant supergroups.

As long as you can suss out the simple etiquette it's perfectly fine, in fact encouraged, as entertainer players are there to socialize and they can get quickly overwhelmed when waves of people come in.

Basically: Don't crowd or block people, make sure other players have access to the other entertainers and don't spam. Then it's just a game of who can attract more customers. There's such a wide variety of outfits, effects, props, instruments, and social engineering to get people to come to you it becomes its own thing.

I have a pretty loud outfit, play the ommni box which makes me look like I'm a DJ that's spinning, and I set my holograms to have an instrument combination I think sounds good. I also run an R2 droid named Dancetromech that has various special effects. Yesterday I had it spraying foam all over the floor along with several other entertainer's droids and played along that they were cleaning up the place.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

My personal style is starting to come together.

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 23, 2023

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

If you're working on your Bespin stuff, know that you can get the quest to entertain players, and drop it and re-pick it up until you get the Eisley cantina, then when you get there as long as you don't stop playing the quest will complete and you immediately get it again so you can get enough tibanna to turn in for your jewlery.

I've been hanging out with the Mos Eisley crew for like a week now and they're all super fun to chat with.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

"To win in battle, know your enemy. To win in life, know your weakness."
- Miyamoto Musashi
The OP of the thread actually is valid again. The Stardust server relaunched yesterday.

https://www.stardust-swg.com/

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Levarris posted:

The OP of the thread actually is valid again. The Stardust server relaunched yesterday.

Cool beans, good work. It sounds like an interesting approach, too.

You (I assume you wrote what's on that page) come across pretty bitter, lol. I'm sure dealing with SWG players will do that to a person.

edit: installed and ready to give it a whirl. Got a master dancer on Finalizer, master entertainer on Legends... why not grind up my booty-shaking on another server? I'll check back later for some admins to come online for account approval.

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Aug 2, 2023

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Levarris posted:

You can't trick me for the n'th time I say to myself while installing this again.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
If anyone needs to be entertained, come see Johnny JazDrive in the mos eisley cantina.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Rynoto posted:

You can't trick me for the n'th time I say to myself while installing this again.

I honestly thought I was done with SWG for good, but over four years since shutting Stardust down I received a ton of messages from former players about how much they really liked it and wanted it to come back. It finally got to me and I decided to oblige the requests.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Shart Carbuncle posted:

I'm sure dealing with SWG players will do that to a person.

Truer words were never spoken

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

For the hell of it I specced Latinum Bill to Combat Entertainer which has some of the old Teras Kasi elements in it. Pretty much nobody plays it because its really not that great, but it's hilarious. I went half into the combat tree and half into the beast master/creature handler tree and picked up and leveled a giant monkey I named Latinum Ted.

I did some PVP on him today and even got some kills.

Next step is convincing some poor group to bring me through the heroic dungeons. I did all the quests leading up to them.

So hopefully updates incoming on:

https://i.imgur.com/g1VR1J6.mp4

Lurken
Nov 10, 2012

Noise Complaint posted:

For the hell of it I specced Latinum Bill to Combat Entertainer which has some of the old Teras Kasi elements in it. Pretty much nobody plays it because its really not that great, but it's hilarious. I went half into the combat tree and half into the beast master/creature handler tree and picked up and leveled a giant monkey I named Latinum Ted.

I did some PVP on him today and even got some kills.

Next step is convincing some poor group to bring me through the heroic dungeons. I did all the quests leading up to them.

So hopefully updates incoming on:

https://i.imgur.com/g1VR1J6.mp4

We will absolutely make this happen, The world needs more combat ents! Odds are you’ll out-DPS the average player who cares too much about Optimum Playstyle (tm) anyway.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Just wanted to plug Legends again. It's been almost 3 months for me now and I've stopped hopping MMO's.

I recently finished the Bespin quest chain on my Commando and got a neat Ralph McQuarrie inspired speeder. The planet is gorgeous for a volunteer fan made expansion with a ton of content.

Also the game works wonderfully with the DXVK Vulkan wrapper instead of using DX9. I get 144 fps except in large scale PVP, can force some better AA/Anisotropy than the NVIDIA/AMD control panel allows, etc.

A couple friends and some randoms we picked up last night spent a few hours in a gunboat in turrets just shredding waves of ships coming in and shooting the poo poo. I went to a beach party a couple weeks ago with a live DJ, have been working on a Jedi character and all the extra content that entails, and have been diving into the Legends only Jedi Theme Park, which is an end game, partially open world, partially instanced raid that gives me serious old school EQ vibes.

The upgraded NGE combat is really truly good as at this point it's been improved over and over again, it's no longer the garbage it was at launch. The bio-engineering/creature handling stuff is insanely complicated and a hell of a rabbit hole to dive into as well.

Highly recommend if you're looking for that old-school feel with massive amounts of content to explore, or even just do some old school grinding.

Should probably mention that they added Gas Giant space content with Bespin as well Complete with Weird Gas Creatures:

Noise Complaint fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 11, 2023

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Noise Complaint posted:

Just wanted to plug Legends again. It's been almost 3 months for me now and I've stopped hopping MMO's.

I can't recommend Legends. It may be populous, but it's an illusion. The vast majority of it's online characters are AFK, the community is either incredibly toxic, or incredibly thin skinned, there's not much in-between. Couple that with admins that actively abuse their power and clandestinely profit off of the server via RMT transactions and you just have a bad mix.

Stardust is where it's at.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Levarris posted:

I can't recommend Legends. It may be populous, but it's an illusion. The vast majority of it's online characters are AFK, the community is either incredibly toxic, or incredibly thin skinned, there's not much in-between. Couple that with admins that actively abuse their power and clandestinely profit off of the server via RMT transactions and you just have a bad mix.

Stardust is where it's at.

I would love to play on Stardust if it A.) Had functioning JTL, and B.) Had content.

Myself and a few other goons are in a very non-toxic guild on Legends and it's populous enough on a daily basis that we can get dungeon runs at any hour of the day.

I really, in 2023, do not want to do mission terminals all day every day.

I won't argue with the admins/csr's being garbage and there being a subset of very loud assholes on Legends, but you'd have to convince me that there's things to do on Stardust.

Slogging through the pre-CU combat in 2023 is honestly tedious, and I've played on and off since 2003. On Legends, I can get my group together, go do the dungeons, Jedi theme park, work on the Bespin quests, and do a ton of space content with a pretty large pool of people to play with.

Why would I go to Stardust? What would I do after speccing into the same builds I have since 2003? Grind Krayts?

It's a tough sell.

Lurken
Nov 10, 2012
Is there mando armor on stardust? What’s the drop rate on liquids? I only need bracers gloves and belt on my set in legends before the ghost of my childhood stops howling at me

That leads to my big thing, which is how In 2023 I don’t have the time or energy to deep dive into another server. It’d have to be a gonzo big case.

I too am in an active garbage-free guild that runs every flavor of content every day.

I am curious about this talk to real money transactions in legends. Is this like, common knowledge I’ve managed to totally avoid?

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Noise Complaint posted:

I would love to play on Stardust if it A.) Had functioning JTL, and B.) Had content.

Myself and a few other goons are in a very non-toxic guild on Legends and it's populous enough on a daily basis that we can get dungeon runs at any hour of the day.

I really, in 2023, do not want to do mission terminals all day every day.

I won't argue with the admins/csr's being garbage and there being a subset of very loud assholes on Legends, but you'd have to convince me that there's things to do on Stardust.

Slogging through the pre-CU combat in 2023 is honestly tedious, and I've played on and off since 2003. On Legends, I can get my group together, go do the dungeons, Jedi theme park, work on the Bespin quests, and do a ton of space content with a pretty large pool of people to play with.

Why would I go to Stardust? What would I do after speccing into the same builds I have since 2003? Grind Krayts?

It's a tough sell.

Stardust isn't Pre-CU. It may have originally been based on it but there is a great deal more to it than that. It too has it's own versions of the heroic instances from NGE, the entire galaxy has been completely converted and moved up along the timeline to a year after ROTJ, this means new theme parks, quest lines, unique planets that do not exist anywhere else. Stardust is constantly adding more end game content that doesn't involve "Grinding krayts". As for JTL, it's coming within the next year as the SWGEmu team continues work on it Stardust will incorporate it as soon as it is viable enough to play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1Cd0rzop-M

Check that video if you haven't already. It tells you a lot more than I have in the last couple of sentences.

Lurken posted:

Is there mando armor on stardust? What’s the drop rate on liquids? I only need bracers gloves and belt on my set in legends before the ghost of my childhood stops howling at me

That leads to my big thing, which is how In 2023 I don’t have the time or energy to deep dive into another server. It’d have to be a gonzo big case.

I too am in an active garbage-free guild that runs every flavor of content every day.

I am curious about this talk to real money transactions in legends. Is this like, common knowledge I’ve managed to totally avoid?

Of course there is mando armor. Drop rates are higher than originally, while there should be at least some grind to certain things, we also don't want you spending a lifetime down in the DWB either. As for the real money transactions in legends, it gets to be common knowledge the deeper down that rabbit hole you go. The admins there do a good job trying to make things look neat and tidy on the surface though. The server's economy speaks for itself however. Think Zimbabwe is hyper inflated? Zimbabwe hasn't got poo poo on the omega server.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Not gonna lie man that just looks like pre-CU combat queues with a slap of paint over them. No JTL is no dice for me as well.

Also didn't you just have a server wipe because you lost the backups?

If you wanted a different combat system, why not do what Resto3 did, use the NGE client with your own skill system (with auto attack working please.) so you'd have JTL.

Legends has made huge nerfs to AFK farming in the last few months while buffing the credits you make at the keyboard.

Edit: Also dont get me wrong, I'll give it a shot before giving it a full judgement, but the lack of JTL hurts since it's available elsewhere. I'm glad to completely eat crow if I like it.

Noise Complaint fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 23, 2023

Ulesi
Aug 30, 2023
Can we just get a new Star Wars MMO set in the Skywalker era. I miss SWG atmosphere so much but the game is getting so dated.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Ulesi posted:

Can we just get a new Star Wars MMO set in the Skywalker era. I miss SWG atmosphere so much but the game is getting so dated.

That would be the dream. The Disney trilogy was basically the cinematic NGE though; watch us take this enormous runny poo poo all over that thing you loved whilst telling you to enjoy the new shiny that is vaguely reminiscent of that thing you once liked.

Aster0ids
Oct 13, 2018
I need an MMO to mess around till epoch and im trying legends, if anyone new wants to tag along. Im 13 around mos eisley

Pretty satisfying so far, it has some of what i thought was missing on live: Dungeon-y style content.

I just roamed around and found a cave populated by some desert pirate faction of some kind. They are too tough for now and ill come back for my revenge.

Exactly the kind of thing what i want out of a sandbox rpg.

Aster0ids fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 1, 2023

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
I logged into Legends to find they're doing a sweep of abandoned player structures, so it's a good time to pop in and run some duty missions or whatever to re-up your large Naboo castles full of bobbleheads and droids

Helluva
Feb 7, 2011

First time player here, is it possible to team up right from the start? (Legends)

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Disparition posted:

First time player here, is it possible to team up right from the start? (Legends)

You can absolutely go through the legacy quest content/do space content in a group from the start, but some quest objectives can be a little buggy and might need to be picked up/activated for each person in the group.

Howard Beale posted:

I logged into Legends to find they're doing a sweep of abandoned player structures, so it's a good time to pop in and run some duty missions or whatever to re-up your large Naboo castles full of bobbleheads and droids

All the abandoned housing was destroyed within like 3 days of that event starting, people were incredibly crazy about it because you got wild furniture rewards like emperor's thrones.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Reminiscent of the good old UO idoc camping days

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Does anyone play Finalizer or are all the goons in Legends?

I'm getting the itch to revisit this game but last time was 4 years ago on a dead server.

Lurken
Nov 10, 2012

LiterallyATomato posted:

Does anyone play Finalizer or are all the goons in Legends?

I'm getting the itch to revisit this game but last time was 4 years ago on a dead server.

afaik we're all diasporic on Legends

This is a great time to jump in if you're interested, all the spooky season Heroics are up in honor of the Galactic Moon Festival event Legends does in October (Zombie Blackguard/ISD, Spooky Tusken King, Extra Witchy Axva Min)

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

So I'm not sure if anyone else here played on the Stardust server back in 2019 (which eventually closed down,) but they've restarted the server.

It has the same two bar, streamlined combat system (no mind.) And an XP multiplier. I started today and am having fun!

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

Not sure how relevant the information is, and what changes were made but I was filling the wiki when I played in 2019.

https://stardust-swg.fandom.com/wiki/Stardust-swg_Wiki

Ulesi
Aug 30, 2023

LiterallyATomato posted:

So I'm not sure if anyone else here played on the Stardust server back in 2019 (which eventually closed down,) but they've restarted the server.

It has the same two bar, streamlined combat system (no mind.) And an XP multiplier. I started today and am having fun!

But how am I supposed to mind bleed everyone :(

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Ulesi posted:

Rifleman is my preferred combat profession, so I feel you.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Ulesi posted:

Action Bleeds are so hot right now. Mind Bleeds are so last year.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Walked past a house today which was called New Windsor. Ahhh good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

The memories :allears: