Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
page 2 snypa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Thank you 😊

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

qirex posted:

those ones I posted don't need to be used wirelessly they have normal inputs and a dac built in they just also have wireless since it's all on one chip and they can charge more I've heard the dynaudio xeos they sound really good
inbuilt dac/amp (active speaker) is trash for children, no way the xeos come close to dynaudio's passive line. the excite x18 is one of the best bookshelves ive heard but it was juuuust outside of my price range

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
if you get the new macbook pro it has better speakers than the last one so just throw your old computer in the trash immediately and do that op

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

inbuilt dac/amp (active speaker) is trash for children, no way the xeos come close to dynaudio's passive line. the excite x18 is one of the best bookshelves ive heard but it was juuuust outside of my price range

depends on the components, some of the best speakers in the world are active [e.g. wilson audio] and the xeos are their excite speakers with some electronics attached to them, they wouldn't sound any different unless they used crappy components and that's not what dynaudio is known for

active speakers make audiophiles mad because they can't spend 50 grand making them sound the same/worse with giant piles of outboard gear and cables

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
also the proper way to implement active speakers for pc's is over usb so you can control the volume using the os

gently caress having multiple chained volume controls

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
once I was told that Audes speakers were designed by former Soviet fighter avionics engineers in Estonia, and at the time their web site just had lots of charts and graphs

their current web site doesn't make that claim, it says they were making consumer radio and hi-fi equipment for the Soviet Union

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

those are v good what are they hooked up to

http://www.nixiekits.eu/STC.htm

Music sounds at least twice as good when your amplifier arrives as a bag of parts and tubes that you have to solder together yourself

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

qirex posted:

depends on the components, some of the best speakers in the world are active [e.g. wilson audio] and the xeos are their excite speakers with some electronics attached to them, they wouldn't sound any different unless they used crappy components and that's not what dynaudio is known for

active speakers make audiophiles mad because they can't spend 50 grand making them sound the same/worse with giant piles of outboard gear and cables
which of the wilson speakers are active? i dont think teh alexandrias are (the ones they are known for which stebe [pbuh] had a pair iirc)

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I have a set of Behringer MS40 speakers at home. They've been pretty decent to me for the past few years.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

which of the wilson speakers are active? i dont think teh alexandrias are (the ones they are known for which stebe [pbuh] had a pair iirc)

I think I got them mixed up with meridian because they both make giant fiberglass dalek speakers.

anyway, there's now scientific evidence that low bitrate audio makes the world worse

quote:

According to a study by the Audio Engineering Library, MP3s and similar low-quality compression formats have a distinct effect on the timbral and emotional characteristics of the instruments involved - strengthening neutral and negative emotional characteristics, and weakening positive ones.

The study - called The Effects of MP3 Compression on Perceived Emotional Characteristics in Musical Instruments - analysed compressed and uncompressed music samples at several bitrates over 10 emotional categories.

It found that MP3 compression strengthened emotional characteristics like mysterious, shy, scary and sad, but weakened positive ones like happy, heroic, romantic, comic and calm. So playing Pharell's Happy won't have quite the same uplifting effect at a lower bitrate.

Interestingly, the emotional characteristic of anger was relatively unaffected by MP3 compression. The Audio Engineering Library put this down to the background artefacts in such a low-quality compression which could sound like a growl.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

"So playing Pharell's Happy won't have quite the same uplifting effect at a lower bitrate."

lol lol. the only way this song could be listenable is if it were degraded as hell, sounding like it's miles under the ocean past any point of recognition

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

makes the world a worse place is a dumb take away the "negative" emotional characteristics spoken of are a positive for many, when it is a deliberate aesthetic decision

OldAlias fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 5, 2016

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
there is exactly one negative emotional characteristic of audible artifacting and it's anger at how lovely the music sounds

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

The harman kardon soundsticks were actually pretty decent and I miss the good old Apple computers that you would plug them into like the iBook and the iMac

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

ribbed for your aural pleasure

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

OldAlias posted:

makes the world a worse place is a dumb take away the "negative" emotional characteristics spoken of are a positive for many, when it is a deliberate aesthetic decision

we get it, you listen to metal

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

get the genelecs, op

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Sham bam bamina! posted:

there is exactly one negative emotional characteristic of audible artifacting and it's anger at how lovely the music sounds

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

r u ready to WALK posted:

The harman kardon soundsticks were actually pretty decent and I miss the good old Apple computers that you would plug them into like the iBook and the iMac
wow lol they still make them

pram
Jun 10, 2001

haha what a mindfuck those were so popular when i was a teen. crazy thats still around! check this out too http://www.somethingawful.com/

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

pram posted:

haha what a mindfuck those were so popular when i was a teen. crazy thats still around! check this out too http://www.somethingawful.com/

lmfao

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

pram posted:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

still pretty good sales volume too

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

pram posted:

:ducksiren:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

seems like the right thread for this: shinola, pioneers in the "buy Chinese watch parts for one dollar, pay some guy in detroit to assemble it, say it's made in the usa, charge $600" industry are making a turntable see if you can guess how much it costs just from the pictures

$2500 earth dollars

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
cool, my guess was only a thousand dollars short

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

those are v. pretty tho

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
i mean, there's no good reason to want a turntable anyway, so the price makes sense given that the target market are idiots.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
green day just re released their entire catalog on cassette tape

pram
Jun 10, 2001
eww belt

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

Kanto YU2 trip report:
a lot better than the old Logitech X-540 system i replaced. would recommend if you can find them on sale. i think massdrop has them sometimes. also the glossy white goes great with NZXT's glossy white cases.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

pram posted:

eww belt

wouldn't it stretch pretty much instantly

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

flakeloaf posted:

wouldn't it stretch pretty much instantly

if car belts can run for 30k miles I think a turntable belt will last long enough

there's plenty of $2500 turntables already though which is the main problem with this thing since most of them look much nicer, the shinola looks like they stuck it in a reclaimed fruit crate

each of these costs one thousand dollars less than the shinola and doesn't look like it was designed by john varvatos and johnny depp

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
vinyls are only as good as the mp3s they were made from

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

echinopsis posted:

vinyls are only as good as the mp3s they were made from

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i haven't read this thread did anyone recommend the op any computer speakers?

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

yes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjCL3KPxBUA&t=174s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

yeah, but does it come in classic green?

• Locked thread