Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
This might be a fairly basic question, but I have an audiobook split into 30 chapters and I want them to play on my Car, which has an old Mp3 CD player, from start to finish, 1-30.

I have named them Part 1, Part 2...Part 10 etc.

The issue is after part 1 the player goes straight to Part 10. I assume because it just reads stuff that starts with a one first before moving onto 2's. I have also encountered a similar issue when using a smart tv to view photos with a similar naming structure in the past. In windows I can just change how they're ordered or whatever, and the problem doesn't exist, but on some other devices I have this issue.

Assuming I can't change how they're ordered through some other means and I'm unsure how the CD player reads metadata, how am I supposed to name my files so they play in order? "One" "Two" "Three" appears to put three before two in windows, but I don't know if it would do the same in the CD player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
There's three ways the CD player could be doing this, in some combination:

1. Checking for a .m3u or .pls playlist file
2. Checking the Track # ID3 tag in the MP3 header
3. Just playing them in order based on the filename

To make #3 work the easiest way is to prefix a track number with a leading zero, so like:

01 - Audiobook.mp3
02 - Audiobook.mp3
10 - Audiobook.mp3
etc

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007

Alereon posted:

There's three ways the CD player could be doing this, in some combination:

1. Checking for a .m3u or .pls playlist file
2. Checking the Track # ID3 tag in the MP3 header
3. Just playing them in order based on the filename

To make #3 work the easiest way is to prefix a track number with a leading zero, so like:

01 - Audiobook.mp3
02 - Audiobook.mp3
10 - Audiobook.mp3
etc

Ah, I see. Seems fairly obvious when you put it like that.

I'll reburn it with the new filenames.

• Locked thread