Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

In the Capitalist States of America, we relish nothing more than to throw our wages at the feet of our oppressive idols, the Bourgeoisie. If we cannot seize the means of production, then we might as well keep it producing. Though it is our purpose to forfeit all of our earnings, some of you may wish to do so in a way that will also benefit a fellow prole.

Never fear, goonrade! Other goons are here to help. Please use this thread to ask for aid in all of your gifting needs. Whether it's for Christmas, Kwanzaa, Hanukkah, SASSmas or for yourself just because, if you give us an honest description of your needs we'll give you honest feedback. (Or at least I will. I cannot make claims for other people.)

What you have to do: Fill out as much of the following information as possible to give the helpful elves as much background as possible. You know more about this person than we do.

Who is your giftee:
Budget:
Giftee's age:
Known likes/interests:
Known hates/allergies:
Type of gift you are looking for:
Ideas that you've had or gifts that have been enjoyed in the past:

For Example:
Who is your giftee: My Mutha
Budget: $100
Giftee's age: 99
Known likes/interests: Being old, doing jazzercise, Taylor Swift
Known hates/allergies: Technology, bright sunlight, kids on her lawn
Type of gift you are looking for: Something practical but sweet
Ideas that you've had or gifts that have been enjoyed in the past: She loved that rocking chair I got her, until I nailed it to the floor

See, just that easy. And then we give you magical answers. We await your queries.

:siren:Warning:siren: If you say that your giftee literally doesn’t like anything, has no interests, is a slug of a human being, then expect no answer. Please try, we don’t know the person at all which makes it even more impossible for us to help. And if it’s really that bad, the answer is to buy them nothing or donate to a charity on their behalf.

If, however, you're that type of person who only knows what to get people once you've seen it, here are some websites that you might find helpful for browsing purposes*:

Goon-Made Gifts in the SA Mart
SA DIY forum –a great place to look for ideas
Perpetual Kid - for goofy, mostly gag type gifts
Serrv - There are many, many places (especially on the Internet) where you can buy Fair Trade and benefit loads of people, this is merely one.
Hipcycle - For the eco-friendly
Uncommon Goods - Bunch of random things that will usually spark a thought
The Grommet - Unique and innovative products and sellers (their description, not mine, but I have found some fun gifts on here before)
This is Why I'm Broke - Some serious gifts and some seriously awesome gifts for the billionaire in your life. Great place for ideas
Scoutmob.com - Homemade gifts from smaller/independent retailers
More sites to check

And in case there's anyone who hasn't heard of it, Think Geek is at least the starting place for nerds of all types

What not to buy

If anyone has other great sites that they want to share I'll be keeping a lookout in the thread and I'll edit them into this post.

Another tip: Googling “Gifts for 'x' lovers" will typically get you lists of ideas as well.

Happy gifting!!

And remember, kids:

*I do not work for any of these companies, I'm just a friendly penguin who enjoys providing information. That being said, if you still don’t trust me and want access to a third party review from Consumer Reports, first, check your local library for both print or online copies, but if no luck there, PM me and I can get you access.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.
Thank goodness, I've been waiting for this thread.

Who is your giftee: Husband
Budget: up to $300
Giftee's age: 32
Known likes/interests: UGA football, coaches high school basketball, reads stuff on the internet
Known hates/allergies: kitschy useless stuff...
Type of gift you are looking for: ANYTHING!!!
Ideas that you've had or gifts that have been enjoyed in the past: grill, rayban wayfarers, beats pill, ipad mini, nice engraved cufflinks, cool bar stuff (want to avoid stuff for the house because we're about to have a baby and i'd like to get him something for him)

I am at a total loss :(

Uncommon goods and scoutmob are my usual go-tos but I can't find nothing!

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Miranda posted:

Thank goodness, I've been waiting for this thread.

Who is your giftee: Husband
Budget: up to $300
Giftee's age: 32
Known likes/interests: UGA football, coaches high school basketball, reads stuff on the internet
Known hates/allergies: kitschy useless stuff...
Type of gift you are looking for: ANYTHING!!!
Ideas that you've had or gifts that have been enjoyed in the past: grill, rayban wayfarers, beats pill, ipad mini, nice engraved cufflinks, cool bar stuff (want to avoid stuff for the house because we're about to have a baby and i'd like to get him something for him)

I am at a total loss :(

Uncommon goods and scoutmob are my usual go-tos but I can't find nothing!

He sounds very familiar. ;) Congrats on the baby by the way!

Options -
If the house is off limits, what about kitting out his car? - https://www.thrillist.com/cars/nation/15-best-car-accessories-to-buy-this-year
Would he be into the whole wearables thing? No lame wearables but Garmin GPS ultimate ones? - https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/wearables/c10002-p1.html
And since I seem to recall that he enjoys good food, what about a subscription to one of those dinner on demand services like Blue Apron or Hello Fresh, with a baby around it might be easier to have on hand meals ready to make without having to do the shopping - http://urbantastebud.com/best-full-meal-subscription-boxes/
And this is out of your stated price range, but it looks rad - http://thegadgetflow.com/portfolio/roav-dashtop-head-display-computer/

I know you'll find something good. You always do.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I'm looking for useful and good quality things under 25 bucks that you could basically give to anyone and they'll get some use out of it, but they might not buy it on their own.

Examples I have thought of so far:
Aquapel applicators
Whoosh screen cleaner
Squatty Potty
A motion-activated toilet light

Trying to get away from the toilet gifts though

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

signalnoise posted:

I'm looking for useful and good quality things under 25 bucks that you could basically give to anyone and they'll get some use out of it, but they might not buy it on their own.

Examples I have thought of so far:
Aquapel applicators
Whoosh screen cleaner
Squatty Potty
A motion-activated toilet light

Trying to get away from the toilet gifts though

Wallet sized multi tool (there are many, this is but one)
Mobile Device Screen cleaner
Ice grippers that go over your shoes
And actually a lot of things on the list of $25 or less gifts from The Grommet: https://www.thegrommet.com/gifts/under-25

Hope this adds some to your list.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

a friendly penguin posted:

Wallet sized multi tool (there are many, this is but one)
Mobile Device Screen cleaner
Ice grippers that go over your shoes
And actually a lot of things on the list of $25 or less gifts from The Grommet: https://www.thegrommet.com/gifts/under-25

Hope this adds some to your list.

Oh this poo poo is a gold mine

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Dec 8, 2016

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Since everyone seems to be having no trouble with gift giving this year I'll bump this with some helpful lifehacker articles just in case anyone doesn't want to post.

Thought doesn't count as much as giving something they actually want
Make gift shopping easy with the want, wear, need, read technique
Best gifts for people who already have everything
Give a thoughtful handmade gift with these did projects

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
I came here to post wtf should I get my dad like I do every year but now after reading the OP I will get him a dashcam. Thanks!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
So I might not be able to do it for Xmas, but then there is Mother's Day. What kind of desktop should I be looking at for gaming that also has built-in wifi, or is that even a thing (we do have an adapter for our router but it has spotty coverage sometimes). She doesn't stream videos but wants to, and her Farmville games are probably close to whatever kind of memory WoW needs. I just don't want to drop a grand on a desktop, but the computer she has is almost 7 years old. PC rather than Mac, but trying to figure out specs on Amazon is insane.

Maybe I should just get her a back-up camera for the car, but a new computer would make my life a lot easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Cowslips Warren posted:

So I might not be able to do it for Xmas, but then there is Mother's Day. What kind of desktop should I be looking at for gaming that also has built-in wifi, or is that even a thing (we do have an adapter for our router but it has spotty coverage sometimes). She doesn't stream videos but wants to, and her Farmville games are probably close to whatever kind of memory WoW needs. I just don't want to drop a grand on a desktop, but the computer she has is almost 7 years old. PC rather than Mac, but trying to figure out specs on Amazon is insane.

Maybe I should just get her a back-up camera for the car, but a new computer would make my life a lot easier.

I'm sending you to the experts: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3774409

But you can get passing gaming rigs for around $600 whole or by upgrading pieces. But it sounds like you might want specifics.

• Locked thread