Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

quote:

Processor: Intel i7-4770 @ 3.40GHz
16 GB Ram
Motherboard: ASROCK H87M PRO4 LGA1150 R

Router: Netgear R6300
I signed up for the new Gigabit service in town. I'm only getting 300-400 Mbps.

The tech guy from my internet service came by to test my connection. When he hooked his laptop in directly to the modem, it was getting 750-850 MBps. So, the speed is getting to my house. However, when I hook my computer directly to the modem, it's only 20-30 MBps faster than where I'm clocking at (So, I'm only getting about 380 MBps hooked directly into the modem).

Things checked:
- I am using nothing but Cat 6 and Cat 5e cables.
- I made sure my ethernet port is capable of 1000MBps speeds (and it is):

- I also checked my router, and it is capable of 1000MBps and says the connections it has are switched to it:

My PC is hooked into LAN1

Also, the internet symbol on my router is orange instead of green (apparently green signifies gigabit internet from what I've googled)

What is going onnnnnnn??

89 fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I like to think that directly connecting to my computer from my modem and still getting under 400 MBps says something about it being something with my computer.

So, it's not the router.

Thing is, I just made sure the Network adapters were up to date, my motherboard supports 1000MBps connections, the cable is a brand new cat 6 and I was getting the same speeds with the old cat 5e I had hooked up to it. What gives?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Your motherboard isn't exactly a top of the line board (in fact iirc ASROCK is a budget brand), and yes, the chipset might say you can get 1Gbps, there's no way you're going to get that.

Just quick googling I find a ton of people complaining about the throughput of the on-board NIC. If you really want 1Gbps (or as close as you're going to get) I'd go buy a separate PCI-E NIC and slap it in there.

*edit*

Also, dunno how old your stuff is, but as components age, they're not going to perform at their peak anymore.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

MF_James posted:

Your motherboard isn't exactly a top of the line board (in fact iirc ASROCK is a budget brand), and yes, the chipset might say you can get 1Gbps, there's no way you're going to get that.

Just quick googling I find a ton of people complaining about the throughput of the on-board NIC. If you really want 1Gbps (or as close as you're going to get) I'd go buy a separate PCI-E NIC and slap it in there.

*edit*

Also, dunno how old your stuff is, but as components age, they're not going to perform at their peak anymore.

I built this computer 3 years ago.

Any PCI-E NIC should do that supports 1000MBps?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106121

?

89 fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Dec 2, 2016

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
That motherboard already has an Intel Gigabit adapter so buying another one isn't going to help. Do you have any third-party antivirus, firewall, or Internet Security software installed? If so, uninstall it completely.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Dec 2, 2016

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Alereon posted:

That motherboard already has an Intel Gigabit adapter so buying another one isn't going to help. Do you have any third-party antivirus, firewall, or Internet Security software installed? If so, uninstall it completely.

Just CCleaner and IPVanish would be the closest things. Uninstalled them. No change.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Basically you're down to a bunch of frustrating tweaking and troubleshooting. Here's a guide from Intel on how to tune network performance, it's mostly meant for 10Gig adapters but most of the same tips apply for GigE. Windows will also throttle network throughput for optimal system performance in some situations, this page from Microsoft has details and instructions on how to disable it.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Turned off the throttle and did everything in the first article short of adjusting the TCPWindowSize cause I can't find it in the registry. Same result :(

Well except a little slower so I had to undo the changes

89 fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Dec 3, 2016

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Ok, so, I've got the new router/modem combo set up.

Speedtest has gotten me 485 MBps on one test. Sometimes it hits 450 and then lowers to 200ish which is strange behavior, I guess?

However, I just tried to speedtest on my provider's website and it listed me at 870 MBps.

Which one is right?!

My IP's test:
https://www.conwaycorp.com/services/internet

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Which speed test did the technician do? If it's fast inside your ISP's network but slow outside it, that means the bottleneck is at your ISP's connectivity. It isn't really reasonable to expect 1000mbps of throughput over the Internet, just to it.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Alereon posted:

Which speed test did the technician do? If it's fast inside your ISP's network but slow outside it, that means the bottleneck is at your ISP's connectivity. It isn't really reasonable to expect 1000mbps of throughput over the Internet, just to it.

Man, I think it was speed test.net he was using. I didn't see the screen, but they said speedtest.net. As their website's speed test was down at the time.

I mean, 480 MBps is loving insane regardless. I'm just trying to make sure I'm getting what I'm suspposed to.

Nowwww, my 5GHz wifi is only hitting about 150 MBps, that's a different problem.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Here's all the speed tests I've done:

quote:

Speedtest.net:
360 MBps down, 20 MBps up

My ISP's Speed Test:
821 MBps down, 22 MBps up

Measurementlab.net Test:
536 MBps down, 19 MBps up

Speedof.me Test:
252 MBps down, 17 MBps up

Testmy.net Test:
551 MBps down, 17 MBps up

DSL Reports.com:
841 MBps down, 23 MBps up

Sourceforge.net Speed Test:
1063 MBps down, 22 MBps up

AT&T Internet Speed Test:
264 MBps down, 21 MBps up

So, which one do I believe? And is it strange the same upload speed is being reported? I was getting 45 MBps upload yesterday.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

89 posted:

Here's all the speed tests I've done:

So, which one do I believe? And is it strange the same upload speed is being reported? I was getting 45 MBps upload yesterday.

You can believe all of them as you'll get different speeds to different parts of the country/world. If you want to be really thorough I'd advise you to test on all those sites for a few more days to get a fuller picture. That upload speed has changed slightly but that's normal. No ISP speeds are perfectly constant.

Another test you can do is open up cmd prompt (as administrator) and type things like

pathping 4.2.2.2
pathping google.com
pathping baidu.com
pathping yandex.ru

It can take a few minutes depending on how many hops it goes through. That would show if your ISP has issues somewhere. Paste results here if you want.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
That router cannot route gigabit. AT ALL

You are going to need a serious router and probably an Ubiquity Edgerouter (x?). Look in the home networking thread.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

redeyes posted:

That router cannot route gigabit. AT ALL

You are going to need a serious router and probably an Ubiquity Edgerouter (x?). Look in the home networking thread.

I'm using a Bitron CGNM-3552-RES router/modem combo now from my ISP. I've gotten 800+MBps on Google Fiber's test on it. Granted, right now I'm seeing 261 MBps..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Ah well, no idea on that model. Still, i'd get a Ubiquity router.

• Locked thread