Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FormerFatty
Jul 18, 2006
If anyone is interested in re-living their UO days of youth, goons have been dominant on the #1 UO free shard running for 2 years straight now. We can set you up with everything you need and you can come gank newbs with us, loot them, and talk poo poo over their corpse while their ghosts spam "oOoOOooOOooOooOo".

The server is actually very well populated and feels a lot like old school UO... check it out if youre interested:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3775846

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlobalMegaCorp
Jan 8, 2004

UO was and always will be the best game ever made. The level of grief you could cause someone in that game was unparalleled. I always played a grief thief or PK until one day I saw they put up applications for the volunteer Seer program, where you were supposed to RP and had all sorts of special powers. I'd never done roleplaying before but I figured it would be an even funnier way to grief.

Somehow they let my retarded 16 year old self into the program and I eventually became responsible for the entire Baja event team until just before they shut it all down after they were sued by some angry volunteers.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
My housemate joined the counselors shortly after they canned the Seer programme. I think I quit UO after watching her attend a candlelight funeral for the Seers.

To be honest I did look into applying to be a counselor, but part of the process involved a lot of stupid trivia about the spawn points of various rares, and that felt like a bad sign.

Marverick
Jan 9, 2004
Retired Webcartoonist

Mortley posted:

I think I played on Chesapeake - did anybody else interact with the Blobs (not sure if they were on other shards)? They were all named "Blob", had no hair/beards, wore no armor or clothes, fought/PK'd in big groups, and used spears for paralyzing, so this was after that feature was added in. I also don't think they ever typed messages to other players themselves, but they were really well-coordinated, so I think they used whatever voice chat was available in that era. I think the idea was to drop into a new server as a group and be able to cause some notable disruption and attract some attention before they even had enough gold collectively to accomplish much else.

I briefly tried to copy what they did, but only, like, one friend would do it with me, so it didn't work.

I played UO for several years but I never managed to become a grandmaster in any skill ever. I never learned how to play a mage, either.

Close! they were all named "Bob", were bald and only wore a pink robe. We had a bunch on the Atlantic shard back in the day.

Oh those were the days. UO had the best thieving system that was not matched in any MMO since.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Charles Mansion posted:

I liked B0N3D00D and pLaTeDeWd

Me too! Thems were the days.

GlobalMegaCorp posted:

Somehow they let my retarded 16 year old self into the program and I eventually became responsible for the entire Baja event team until just before they shut it all down after they were sued by some angry volunteers.

Wasn't that about a bunch of corrupt use of the dev tools by the volunteers or something

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

All I know about old MMOs is Fansy

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009

insomne posted:

I do remember that! Although I can't quite remember where it was located. I was on Pacific. Owned a house right next to the Trinsic moongate and stole from people who browsed my vendor.

What was the name of the main woman who what's wore pink?

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe

Bieeardo posted:

My housemate joined the counselors shortly after they canned the Seer programme. I think I quit UO after watching her attend a candlelight funeral for the Seers.

To be honest I did look into applying to be a counselor, but part of the process involved a lot of stupid trivia about the spawn points of various rares, and that felt like a bad sign.

Did the counselors do the weird jail thing, or was that just the GMs? I got teleported there once and shown around, it was a strange place.

I never got into the counselor program, but it did get me to apply to be an Everquest guide, which I got and did for like a year. That was a fun way to see a game I was otherwise terrible at (also a weird amount of (fake) power for a 14/15 year old).

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I think that was just the GMs.

From what I remember, the end of the Seer programme was due to two things. First, and probably lesser, things were... hinky behind the scenes. People abusing their petty power, people literally loving around, the kind of poo poo you'd hear about after a MUD exploded.

More importantly, a massive court judgment had recently come down against AOL. Remember AOL? At the time, and for years prior, they used shittons of unpaid volunteer moderators and helpstaff, until someone sued over it. The courts decided that big, for-profit organizations couldn't legally use for-free labour, AOL gave their volunteers the boot, and the people in charge of the Seers broke into a cold sweat.

Not that the programme was worth saving. Distribution across the servers was pretty lopsided, from what I was told, and what was supposed to be a source of dynamic events and little things to bring the world to life tended to devolve into players swarming events or the Seers acting as dungeon masters for their favourite bands of players. Like that wacky ecosystem they implemented early on, it was an innocent idea that didn't work out anywhere near as well in production than it did in planning.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
For a better idea how bad the volunteer program got, here's an old Lum The Mad article where a former senior counselor spilled all the beans.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I worked very hard on UO for months mining ore and was working towards making armor instead of selling my iron ingots directly and losing my profits. I finally got 200,000 gold to buy a two story house but couldn't find a place to build it because all the space for housing was taken.

I was a kid that had to borrow my parents credit credit card so I lost access to UO after a few months when I ran out of money. I was going to give 300,000 gold away but I was angry and bitter I had to quit so I let that 300,000 disappear with my account. I feel guilty to this day that didn't just go wild and throw piles of gold on the streets or something fun.

This is probably why I gave on up online games after that. All that work to have my dream of a 2 story house and then bam parents cancel my account. :(

I've been been holding this in for 19 years but it was time I shared. Thanks. :unsmith:

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi

Marverick posted:

Close! they were all named "Bob", were bald and only wore a pink robe. We had a bunch on the Atlantic shard back in the day.

Oh those were the days. UO had the best thieving system that was not matched in any MMO since.

Do you have any links about the Bobs?

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Mortley posted:

Do you have any links about the Bobs?

BOB

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

DropsySufferer posted:

I worked very hard on UO for months mining ore and was working towards making armor instead of selling my iron ingots directly and losing my profits. I finally got 200,000 gold to buy a two story house but couldn't find a place to build it because all the space for housing was taken.

I was a kid that had to borrow my parents credit credit card so I lost access to UO after a few months when I ran out of money. I was going to give 300,000 gold away but I was angry and bitter I had to quit so I let that 300,000 disappear with my account. I feel guilty to this day that didn't just go wild and throw piles of gold on the streets or something fun.

This is probably why I gave on up online games after that. All that work to have my dream of a 2 story house and then bam parents cancel my account. :(

I've been been holding this in for 19 years but it was time I shared. Thanks. :unsmith:

It's okay, friend! I had similar heartbreaks with MMO's back when I was a kid. Both with Ultima Online and Everquest.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Fats posted:

Did the counselors do the weird jail thing, or was that just the GMs? I got teleported there once and shown around, it was a strange place.

I never got into the counselor program, but it did get me to apply to be an Everquest guide, which I got and did for like a year. That was a fun way to see a game I was otherwise terrible at (also a weird amount of (fake) power for a 14/15 year old).

Counselors could teleport to jail (we frequently used a large jail cell as our staging ground to check tickets, bullshit between ourselves or with GMs in game, and log in/out at) and any of the major cities at will. We could teleport other people but only if they opened a counselor ticket and we were working it, in which case they got dragged along whenever we teleported. We weren't supposed to do so, we were supposed to have GMs handle any requests (I guess it had been abused at some point so OSI said GMs only, though that didn't stop GMs from punting the ticket back and telling us to just do it), but sometimes we'd forget to close the ticket before teleporting back to jail and we'd drag some guy along with us. The few times I did it the victim was pretty cool about it; one went nuts running all over the place taking screen shots and asking to see the other cells. After they had their fill of "OMG ITS JAIL IVE ONLY HEARD ABOUT THIS PLACE" they got a free teleport to a city of their choosing.

Source: I was a counselor back in the late 90s.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

DropsySufferer posted:

I can relate. Different circumstances, but I could never really afford even the large house with patio that I wanted while also balancing selling ingots and getting GM Blacksmith. By the time trammel happened, I was .3% from GM and still short of my goal, having spent the money on failed endeavors (mostly some rando guild headed by an idiot). If I hadn't wasted my money, I could have at least gotten the home. I could have also gotten GM, but without pvpers, there wasn't much of a market left to sell to.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Great Joe posted:

All I know about old MMOs is Fansy

Fansy tried to train some sand giants on me. He failed and I laughed at the meltdowns in zone chat.

Then he became famous and they hosed people under level 5 from having protection. All because of him.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Fansy is an American hero like Paul Bunyan or Wild Bill Hickok

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Siege Perilous was a blast, but was so neglected in the last half of UOs life. Was in UDL, I remember when I first joined you came in as a 'slave' (fresh new character) and had to train with the Orcs.

Such nostalgia, thank you for posting this thread.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
What was the name of that server which was super hardcore they released back in like 1999.. where you could only train a skill point per 3 hours or something retarded.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

TipsyMcStagger posted:

What was the name of that server which was super hardcore they released back in like 1999.. where you could only train a skill point per 3 hours or something retarded.

Siege Perilous. Also only one character per account.

It was actually really great.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
My brother had UO and I played a little bit on his account.

One time I made a character and went to this player run town to watch a tournament they were running.

As I was watching a player set off a massive explosion that killed dozens of people. Then a swarm of players came in and started looting while the player guards futilely ordered them to stop.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Largepotato posted:

My brother had UO and I played a little bit on his account.

One time I made a character and went to this player run town to watch a tournament they were running.

As I was watching a player set off a massive explosion that killed dozens of people. Then a swarm of players came in and started looting while the player guards futilely ordered them to stop.

:allears: I have such great memories of that game.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I remember once a Sage (green-robed OSI employees that would write and do quests) possessed Lord British to deliver a quest to a bunch of players, but accidentally removed Lord British's invulnerability flag, so one enterprising player lit him on fire and killed him, and all of the players lost their poo poo, claiming Lord Blackthorne had won. The Sage didn't know what to do so he jailed the killer and kicked everyone out of the castle, except he included all of the NPCs, and the castle was surrounded by a moat, so for like half a day there were a bunch of NPCs floating above the water haplessly attempting to commit to their walk cycles, but being unable to move because you can't move on water tiles and swimming doesn't exist in UO.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
vendor buy the bank some decent guards

PraxxisParadoX
Jan 24, 2004
bittah.com
Pillbug

Coughing Hobo posted:

I remember once a Sage (green-robed OSI employees that would write and do quests) possessed Lord British to deliver a quest to a bunch of players, but accidentally removed Lord British's invulnerability flag, so one enterprising player lit him on fire and killed him, and all of the players lost their poo poo, claiming Lord Blackthorne had won. The Sage didn't know what to do so he jailed the killer and kicked everyone out of the castle, except he included all of the NPCs, and the castle was surrounded by a moat, so for like half a day there were a bunch of NPCs floating above the water haplessly attempting to commit to their walk cycles, but being unable to move because you can't move on water tiles and swimming doesn't exist in UO.

It's immortalized on Wikipedia too: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_British#Assassination_of_Lord_British

FormerFatty
Jul 18, 2006

ToxicSlurpee posted:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I was going to leave the thread due to this post but I keep rubberbanding

zelgadis
Sep 5, 2004

Doesn't that just beat all
do modern MMOs have the equivalent of GMs? like in WoW are there all-powerful blizzard employees helping people out when they're stuck in a wall or whatever?

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Yes, GMs still exist (last I played WoW at least, 3-4 years ago). They don't get players unstuck, that feature eventually got automated. They handle stuff like griefing players, bugged quests, lost loot, stuck npcs or mobs, etc.

WoW GMs they are very limited in what they can do, Blizzard keeps them on an extremely tight leash. There's nowhere near the potential for the nepotism and fuckery that GMs and Seers in UO had.

PraxxisParadoX
Jan 24, 2004
bittah.com
Pillbug

Ojetor posted:

There's nowhere near the potential for the nepotism and fuckery that GMs and Seers in UO had.

Boy was there fuckery http://mu.ranter.net/ultima-online/gm-darwin-gets-naturally-selected

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

Angela Lansburial posted:

it was because of imanewbie that I was directed to click on a link to something called leet liek jeff!!1 and received my first taste of SA. if only I knew then that I was starting down a path that would transform me into a broken 30 year old sadbrains burden to society...

Holy poo poo I now know how I was introduced to SA.

• Locked thread