Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

So like the title says I need to create a bunch of 12x12 trays with entirely custom dividers that follow no predictable structure. This is to hold various size pieces of projects I'm working on. Ideally it would be about 1 inch tall or so. The problem is any solution I come up with I'll have to build 20 of, so I'd love it if there was some simple way to get this done. I guess wood is a simple option but its a lot of cutting. I do have access to a laser cutter but not sure if thats slower than wood. Should I look for a 12x12 tray thats premade somewhere and try to just glue dividers in? Any suggestions would be nice.

My bootleg solution at the moment is to glue foamboard dividers to a piece of plastic but its very flimsy and ugly looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

FateFree posted:

So like the title says I need to create a bunch of 12x12 trays with entirely custom dividers that follow no predictable structure. This is to hold various size pieces of projects I'm working on. Ideally it would be about 1 inch tall or so. The problem is any solution I come up with I'll have to build 20 of, so I'd love it if there was some simple way to get this done. I guess wood is a simple option but its a lot of cutting. I do have access to a laser cutter but not sure if thats slower than wood. Should I look for a 12x12 tray thats premade somewhere and try to just glue dividers in? Any suggestions would be nice.

My bootleg solution at the moment is to glue foamboard dividers to a piece of plastic but its very flimsy and ugly looking.

Pick some from these and call it a day.

http://www.ecpplastictrays.com/product-tag/12-x-12-trays/

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
kaizen foam imo https://www.amazon.com/Fastcap-Kaizen-Foam-57mm-Black/dp/B007J2JJYK

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Build up a negative blank from plywood with your laser cutter and glue, and vacuform your own.

I hear it's pretty easy so long as you have an oven and a vacuum source.

• Locked thread