Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Long story short, after years of struggles and finally alienating everyone, I realized that I don't belong in my workplace and I'm happy to go someplace which is a better fit for me.

Here's my situation: 29 years old, Canadian, MSc in computing. No criminal record.

I have been teaching university and college as an adjunct for the last two years, though with mostly negative results. I loved doing it, but I wasn't good at it. Not being a quitter, I kept on trying, year after year. People eventually got upset. Also: Bunch of years spent in research and a few tiny gigs, all this a very long time ago and I also did not belong despite trying pretty hard to fit in with others.

No debt, enough savings for a year or so. (Yay, responsible living!)

No illnesses, though physically somewhat frail and clumsy as all hell.

I am looking for a job that will let me work by myself, ideally with low supervision and no group work. I don't mind night shift and it does not have to pay over 36k CAD a year. I can probably get by on 18-24k CAD. I would be looking for something permanent or at least reliably there. I am not necessarily looking for a job with computers.

Any leads?

Bonus: Due to me desperately trying to cram myself into a pigeon hole where I don't belong I ruined my two most recent job references. Jobs that can be used to gain references or that don't care about them are a plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
This might not be much help, but considering you have a degree in computing, you might be able to do something similar to a friend of mine. For a few years before he got tired of it, he managed servers and did remote support from home. I think he had to go to the office maybe once a week.
He got in to it without even having a degree, so I guess as long as someone has the skills to do it, it's not a problem.

Oh, if I could work at home... :allears:

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Moneyball posted:

This might not be much help, but considering you have a degree in computing, you might be able to do something similar to a friend of mine. For a few years before he got tired of it, he managed servers and did remote support from home. I think he had to go to the office maybe once a week.
He got in to it without even having a degree, so I guess as long as someone has the skills to do it, it's not a problem.

Oh, if I could work at home... :allears:

The mostly-work-at-home part is why I stayed in teaching for so long.

I actually would prefer something new. I live really cheaply, so I don't need as much as I'd be getting working for a computer company.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
It sounds like the stay-at-home tech stuff is the perfect gig for you then. Between tickets you can google around for projects that interest you.

I would leverage the computer background into that kind of support role and then look for passion projects on the side. Maybe after finding something that really resonates with you, you can investigate doing that as a career :shrug:

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
just do software development like the rest of us

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

N. Senada posted:

It sounds like the stay-at-home tech stuff is the perfect gig for you then. Between tickets you can google around for projects that interest you.

I would leverage the computer background into that kind of support role and then look for passion projects on the side. Maybe after finding something that really resonates with you, you can investigate doing that as a career :shrug:

That sounds really good, actually. Thanks. What are some job titles that I could google and apply to?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

No Gravitas posted:

That sounds really good, actually. Thanks. What are some job titles that I could google and apply to?

Doghouse posted:

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Doghouse posted:

I haven't spoken to another person at work in over a week. And this is on-site at a MegaCorp with like 3000 people on campus.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.
Get see a psychiatrist so u can get meds and not have to rely on the limited amount of careers with 0 human interaction.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I'm a radiographer. I work alone, taking x-ray images. I work in a small clinic where I meet maybe 5-10 patients a day. The x-ray examinations take maybe 5-10 mins.

I mean you need to meet new people all the time, but you don't really need to _work_ with anyone else. The only problem is that loneliness is driving me insane, and I'm trying to find work from a bigger hospital or clinic. The best part is that I get paid for looking a job.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Have you considered an exciting career in window washing? I work with a ton of surly unsociable fucks with whom a conversation is like pulling teeth, but I only see them twice in an 8 hour period. :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randal
Apr 20, 2016

not adding value on SA one post at a time
Sounds like domestic terrorism could be for you.

• Locked thread