Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH
Problem description: I assembled a new rig today, and everything seemed smooth. After the assembly, I powered up and went to the BIOS (just to check everything was in order, it was and i changed nothing). Installed win10 smoothly, installed GeForce Experience from the packaged disc and downloaded the latest graphics drivers. Installed firefox and watched a few videos on youtube. Installed steam, downloaded a few games and tested them - Grim Dawn ran perfectly on max graphics. Started up the Witcher 3, watched the intro cinematic, maxed out all settings and started a new game. Cutscene ran smoothly, as did the first few minutes of the first in-engine cutscene.

And then it all went to hell. Computer shuts down completely and reboots, I hear some fan revving (GPU, I suspect), and now for the past few hours I've been in a BSOD loop with odd errors. Occasionally I've gotten as far as the OS, during which I've managed to install lan-drivers from the mobo manufacturer's website, and got as far as a clean install of the graphics drivers, during which the system froze. After a few minutes of waiting I shut the system down, and have now been constantly restarting the system after countless bluescreens, odd errors and failed automatic repair attempts. Sometimes the screen stays black, sometimes I briefly get to the OS before a crash.

I've tried googling the BSOD errors I've gotten, but most of the solutions aren't applicable since I can't reliably boot to the OS (even safe mode).
BSOD errors I've gotten (in no particular order since every one of them crop up now and then, also might have missed a few):
-System service exception
-Ntoskrnl.exe error with error code 0xc0000221
-Page fault in nonpaged area
-Unexpected kernel mode trap
-Kmode exception not handled, ntfs.sys
-IRQL not less or equal
-critical system directory missing or damaged, IAstorAV.sys, error code 0xc0000098
-System thread exception not handled
-unexpected error, error code 0xc0000001

Now, I'm no stranger to fixing whatever issues on my own/friends' systems, but this I've never seen fuckery on this scale and frankly I'm stumped..
ANY leads you might have are appreciated, I'm at my wit's end here.

Some mixed info I think might be relevant:
-It's no overheating issue, CPU is at 25-30C when idle (never had time to check the temps when under stress, but i seriously doubt that's an issue.
-All parts i used are brand new and as far i could tell, undamaged and correctly installed.
-I'm not sure, but it seems that I get farther when rebooting after having the PSU power cut off for a while.
-I have suspicions regarding some issues between my m.2 boot drive ssd and having a M/KB usb dongle when powering up, but I haven't been able to confirm anything.

I might have missed some errors or something else of importance, just ask for more info and I'll try to answer.

Attempted fixes: Some driver (re)installs, reseating ram

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Home 64bit

System specs:
CPU: intel core i5-6600K
MoBo: asus z170 pro gaming
Storage: intel 600p m.2 SSD (as boot drive)
Western Digital whatever HDD, 1TB
GPU: asus dual gtx 1060 OC 6GB
RAM: 2x8GB kingston hyperX fury DDR4 2666MHz
PSU: Corsair 550W

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH
A small update: I've had some success fiddling with the ram sticks. Although putting the 2 sticks in the MoBo-manufacturer's recommended slots 2 and 4 worked at first, this has apparently been an issue since the very first crash.

I noticed the computer boots either stick in slot 2 but not with 2 sticks in 2 and 4. After trying out some combinations I have so far not crashed once with the following setup:

The sticks in slots 1 and 2 (still dual channel, slots are labeled a1 and b1 on the board), the default xmp profile enabled in the BIOS as well as bumping up the RAM voltage from 1.2V to 1.225V. While this seems to work fine (doing some stress testing now) I'm still a bit concerned about the implications of this. Should i be worried?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'd check things in this order:

1. Make sure you're on the latest motherboard BIOS:
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z170-PRO-GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/

2. Run http://www.memtest.org/ overnight to check RAM health some time.

3. You can also check HD health using the portable zip edition of CDI: http://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html

4. If the BSODs return I'd use onboard GPU temporarily and see if that makes a difference.

Catpain Slack posted:

PSU: Corsair 550W

What model exactly?

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

Zogo posted:

I'd check things in this order:

1. Make sure you're on the latest motherboard BIOS:
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z170-PRO-GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/

2. Run http://www.memtest.org/ overnight to check RAM health some time.

3. You can also check HD health using the portable zip edition of CDI: http://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html

4. If the BSODs return I'd use onboard GPU temporarily and see if that makes a difference.

What model exactly?

VS550 ATX 80+

The BIOS is current. The RAM sticks are probably a-ok since I boot fine with either of them installed. Still probably gonna run a memtest at some point.

The problem seems to be that I can't use dual-channel RAM for whatever reason. Ever since I put both DIMMs in one channel (slots a1 and a2 on the MoBo) I've had no issues whatever and they run just fine at their stated clocks (2666MHz).
Seems that the motherboard is either faulty, or then I've done some damage during assembly (unlikely). Either way I'm currently running fine and can't be arsed to RMA the board/ram..

If I understood correctly, I'm probably not gonna see a big drop in performance using single channel instead of dual, so unless the BSoDs return I'm just gonna go with this setup.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Catpain Slack posted:

...so unless the BSoDs return I'm just gonna go with this setup.

Yea, if the machine remains stable for 2+ weeks it's probably okay.

• Locked thread