Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Okay, take 2

Problem description: Since I have removed my computer from storage, it has been crashing frequently, randomly, and without warning. Usually it crashes when I have chrome or discord open. (It has already crashed once since I started typing this post.) When it crahes, the computer either completely freezes, or the monitor's connection gets cut off.

Attempted fixes: Have set power to high-performance so it doesn't go into idle mode.

Recent changes: Computer spent 2 months in storage, had to disconnect and reconnect internal power cables to get it to boot at all.

--

Operating system: Windows 10

System specs: Intel Core i3-4160 @3.60 ghz, 3600 mhz,l 2 cores, 4 logical processors, ASRock H97 Motherboard, AMD Radeon R7 200 series, 8 GB RAM, Rosewill PHOTON power supply, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250 GB

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'd try running memtest overnight at some point: http://www.memtest.org/ Also, try using the onboard GPU temporarily if the issue continues.

When a computer is taken out of storage and exhibits this behavior I've found it's often the PSU that's beginning to fail.

What kind of PSU exactly?

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

It's also possible moving around jarred some RAM or power cable loose. Make sure everything's firmly secured.

• Locked thread