Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Well believe it or not we're entering the last quarter of 2017, which means it's time for publications, critics, and fans within the industry alike to start compiling their year-end GOTY lists. Last week the TIGA Games Industry Awards just released their nominee shortlist, which allows for a public vote on Game of the Year, and GamesRadar's own Golden Joystick Awards are totally open to the public in every category. It's no secret that this year has been uncharacteristically strong and diverse for new releases with no clear frontrunners in any one genre, so I thought this would be a good place to discuss just how awesome 2017 has been, as well as discuss all upcoming award venues.

Below I'll be sharing the Golden Joystick nominees, as well as my own personal predictions for who will win in each category. This one is open to the public by the way, so you should definitely cast a vote if you haven't done so already!

1. Best Storytelling

Horizon: Zero Dawn
Nier: Automata
Night in the Woods
Persona 5
Prey
Pyre
Tacoma
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
What Remains of Edith Finch

My Pick: This is a pretty crowded field with some very worthy nominees ranging from three-hour indie games to mega-blockbuster AAAs. I think Nier: Automata takes this category for its inventive, nonlinear storyline.

2. Best Visual Design

Cuphead
Dishonored 2
Final Fantasy XV
Little Nightmares
Monument Valley 2
Night in the Woods
Persona 5
Zelda: Breath of the Wild

My Pick: Honorable mentions to Horizon for its lush hyperreal environments and FFXV for the most lovingly rendered food in video game history, but I think this will go to the ever stylish Persona 5.

3. Best Audio

Destiny 2
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
Life is Strange: Before the Storm
Little Nightmares
Persona 5
Project Cars 2
Pyre
RIME
Sniper Elite 4
Tacoma

My Pick: One of the few categories where I think there's a clear-cut winner. Hellblade's use of binaural audio to help simulate the effects of psychosis is truly immersive, terrifying, and revolutionary, and is sure to be emulated in many horror games to come. Everybody needs to experience this game with headphones.

4. Best Gaming Performance

Ashly Burch - Horizon: Zero Dawn
Brian Bloom - Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus
Claudia Black - Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
Jack Brand - Resident Evil 7
Kylie Brown - Life is Strange: Before the Storm
Melina Juergens - Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
Nathan Fillion - Destiny 2

My Pick: Aloy became the de facto PS4 mascot basically overnight thanks in part to a great performance by Ashly Burch, and Claudia Black is always so snarkily entertaining. But Melina Juergens basically came outta nowhere to deliver a haunting and transcendent performance as Senua in Hellblade, whose use of facial capture is now the metric by which all future projects will be compared to. The complex and tortured emotions Juergens displays through her character are without equal.

5. Best Indie Game

Dream Daddy
Everything
Friday the 13th: The Game
Night in the Woods
Pyre
Slime Rancher
Stories Untold
Tacoma
Thimbleweed Park

My Pick: I've played only a handful of games on this list, but I feel confident in saying that the storytelling, themes and characters in Night in the Woods top nearly everything else I've played in the "disparate millennials dealing with drama and also maybe the supernatural?" category, which is increasingly becoming its own awesome genre.

6. Best Multiplayer Game

Absolver
Battlefield 1
Destiny 2
FIFA 18
Friday the 13th: The Game
Injustice 2
Lawbreakers
Nidhogg 2
PUBG
Pro Evolution Soccer 18
Splatoon 2

My Pick: I can't say I've enjoyed any of the games on this list with the exception of Injustice 2, but PUBG has become a global streaming phenomenon, so I think it will easily win this category.

7. Studio of the Year

Arkane
Bluehole
Boss Key
Creative Assembly
Guerrilla Games
Machine Games
Netherrealm Studios
Ninja Theory
Nintendo EPD
Platinum
Rebellion

My Pick: Maybe the hardest single prediction to make on this list, almost all of them are so worthy. Ninja Theory made good on their promise to deliver an "indie AAA" experience and Hellblade's example will be an important signal for other fledgling studios to strike out on their own. Yoko Taro and Platinum's collaboration on Nier may have saved themr from bankruptcy. But I'm going to give this to Guerrilla Games for completely reinventing themselves from "those guys who make a Killzone game every couple years" to one of the leading, most envied studios in the industry with Horizon: Zero Dawn. They went all in and took a gamble on an entirely new IP that couldn't be further removed from a grimdark FPS, and that spark of inspiration shows in every aspects of Horizon's performance, visuals and world design.

8. Best VR Game

Dead Effect 2
Farpoint
GNOG
Resident Evil 7
Robo Recall
Superhot
Star Trek: Bridge Crew
Statik
Thumper
Wilson's Heart

My Pick: I don't own a VR set, but my blind prediction is that Resident Evil 7 will probably win this category on name recognition. Maybe Superhot.

9. eSports Play of the Year
10. eSports Team of the Year
11. eSports Game of the Year

My Pick: Nobody cares about esports...

12. Best Streamer + Broadcaster

Hannah Rutherford
Jacksepticeye
Markiplier
Maximilian Dood
Polygon
Waypoint
What's Good Games

My Pick: A lot of these streamers are straight-up obnoxious, but I like Hannah YOGcast for her thoughtful and often deep insights into the story-based games that she plays. Honorable mention to Polygon doing their own weird thing.

13. Handheld/Mobile Game of the Year

ARMS
Bulb Boy
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
Mario Kart 8
Metroid: Samus Returns
Pokemon: Sun and Moon
Splatoon 2
Super Mario Odyssey

My Pick: This is basically just the "best Nintendo game" category thanks to the advent of the Switch. Breath of the Wild is going to take this category, but I personally vote for Metroid because more Metroid is always a good thing.

14. Playstation Game of the Year

Everybody's Golf
Nex Machina
Nier: Automata
Nioh
Persona 5
The Last Guardian
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
Yakuza 0

My Pick: Wow, can anyone even remember that Nioh was released in 2017? Really strong year for the system, I think Horizon: Zero Dawn edges out everything else with its mainstream appeal.

15. XBOX Game of the Year

Cuphead
Dead Rising 4
Forza 7
Gears of War 4
Gigantic
Halo Wars 2
Pit People
Slime Rancher
Tacoma

My Pick: lol. I'm guessing Forza will take this category, although I would love to see a little indie game like Tacoma win GOTY for the most xxxtreme home console.

16. PC Game of the Year

Dream Daddy
Endless Space 2
OneShot
Planet Coaster
PUBG
Rising Storm 2: Vietnam
Stories Untold
Total Warhammer 2
Dawn of War 3
West of Loathing

My Pick: Notable snub Divinity: Original Sin 2 aside, there's no way PUBG doesn't steamroll the competition this year.

18. Breakthrough Award

Ashly Burch (HZD)
Brendan Greene (PUBG)
Cavalier Game Studios (Sexy Brutale)
Game Grumps
Giant Sparrow (Edith Finch)
Infinite Fall (NITW)
Melina Juergens (Hellblade)
Nick Popovich (Slime Rancher)
Nina Freeman (Tacoma)
SMAC Games (Tokyo 42)

My Pick: Another hard category. Ashly Burch was great as Aloy but I feel like she's already a known entity to anybody who's played Borderlands or Life is Strange (i.e. many people). Infinite Fall should definitely be commended for their superb debut with Night in the Woods, it was well worth the wait. But I'm gonna go with Melina Juergens here because of how improbably she came out of nowhere to deliver a haunting and arresting performance as Senua. To later learn she wasn't even a professional actress, but Ninja Theory's video editor who got recruited after standing in to help them experiment with their facial capture technology is unreal to me. I'd be shocked if she wasn't offered more acting work because of this, in video games or elsewhere.

19. Most Wanted Game

Beyond Good and Evil 2
Call of Duty: WW2
Death Stranding
Far Cry 5
God of War
Metro Exodus
Metroid Prime 4
Ooblets
Red Dead Redemption 2
Sea of Thieves
Spider-Man
Star Wars Battlefront 2
The Last of Us 2

My Pick: I am sufficiently hype for a lot of these but Death Stranding looks so transcendently weird that I must see more.

20. Still Playing

Diablo 3
EVE Online
FIFA 17
Final Fantasy 14
Hearthstone
Minecraft
Overwatch
Pokemon Go
Pro Evolution Soccer 17
Rocket League
TES Online
World of Tanks

My Pick: This is an easy one for me, as the only game from this list that I am still playing is Diablo the Third.

21. Ultimate Game of the Year

Assassin's Creed Origins
Destiny 2
Dishonored 2
Monument Valley 2
Persona 5
PUBG
Resident Evil 7
Super Mario Odyssey

My Pick: Wait a minute, how does Destiny 2, Monument Valley and an as-yet unreleased Another Assassin's Creed Game end up here over Nier, Night in the Woods, Hellblade, or The Better Arkane Game to Be Released in 2017? My personal pick for GOTY is Horizon: Zero Dawn, but I think Zelda or PUBG will take top honors for being a must-have on a new console and global phenomenon, respectively.

Yeah okay, I'm done! Let's discuss our favorite games in this most promising of years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

PITY BUMP

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I feel... dunno, out of touch? Old? When I haven't even played most of these. I predict Pokemon will win in the categories where it's available, and I hope Dishonored guys get some recognition, their games are cool.

Also your best performance list is missing Ryder from ME: Andromeda. :D

• Locked thread