Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

intarwebs posted:

Deceit tests your instincts at trust and deception in a multiplayer first-person shooter. You wake up in an asylum to the sound of an unfamiliar voice, surrounded by five others. A third of your group have been infected with a virus, but who? Whilst traversing the building the power will be going out creating darkness, allowing the infected players to transform into their terror form and strike. Find allies and complete objectives around the map to better your chances of survival.

The environment has been specifically setup to cause conflict amongst the group, creating doubt about the true intentions of players. The infected will be trying to cover up their group sabotage attempts, whilst the rest will be keeping an eye out for this suspicious behaviour and attempt to join forces with people they think they can trust.

What Is Deceit?
Deceit is a free-to-play first person survival horror shooter trust con murder.. simulator... thing.
Yeah, that got away from me.

Okay then, what's the point?
To escape the asylum! Or to make sure no-one escapes the asylum. Both at the same time I guess?

You're not doing a great job selling this
Yeah, I know. Let's start over.
Deceit is a game wherein 6 players wake up locked in an asylum, armed with a gun and a knife, and their objective is to escape.
Unfortunately for everyone else, 2 of the 6 players are secretly Infected and their objective is to make sure no-one escapes.
This can be accomplished by murdering all the Innocents, or by simply delaying everyone long enough that the asylum seals and the innocents lose by default.

So it's a serial killer simulator? What makes this any different from (Insert Competitive Survival Horror Game Here)
Trust.
The core of the game is in deciding who to trust, and getting people to trust you in turn.
Short of a few hard-to-get items which also have limited uses, there is no way to actually tell whether a player is Innocent or Infected.
You must make this decision yourself.
Without trust and cooperation the Innocents will never make it out alive.
However, with trust brings the possibility that your teammate is just waiting to rip your throat out in the next blackout.
Without fear and paranoia eroding that trust, the Infected have a hard time separating Innocents from the team to quietly remove them from the game.
Every action carries a simultaneous judging element from any and all teammates.
Are you amassing gear and ammunition and weapons to fend off the Infected, or because you are Infected and need to ensure that the Innocents are defenseless?
Do you trust your teammate enough to be alone in a room with them during a blackout, or are they just waiting for you to turn your back?
If someone claims that a teammate is a monster, do you believe them enough to vote to kill them, or is this an Infected culling the Innocent via lies and deception?

Sounds interesting. But you said something about free to play? :barf:
The store and paid dlc feature purely cosmetic effects, and account boosts such as bonus exp. This does not mean exp boosts are p2w bs. The primary purpose of leveling is to acquire tokens which reward you with random cosmetic items.

Do I have to be online to play?
It's a multiplayer game, I'll let you figure this one out.

Fine, I'll try this. How do I play with goons?
There is now a Deceit server on the goon discord here: https://discord.gg/bE8TYWJ
As of writing there are no guilds or whatever, only a basic friend/party interface. Goonfriends will have to be manually added ingame.

I'm confused! Make me not terrible at this!
Get better at lying. Or telling when other people are lying.
If you really need some sort of tutorial, there is a video ingame, but I will put it here as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Nc50F-W6to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

This game looks like "Baby's First CryEngine Game" but honestly it's absolutely worth a shot for anyone who likes that sort of "secret murderer" gameplay that's so popular in a lot of board games like Resistance and Werewolf and whatever. It's essentially like someone said "Hey what if The Thing were a first person shooter" and then ran with it. If you're sitting there saying "Well that sounds a lot like that one gmod game nobody plays anymore..." then yes, you're right. It's a lot like that, but different! It's a lot of fun, and best of all it's free!

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.
so what's in the game to cut down on people like me from griefing the poo poo out of everyone

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
Mostly the almost instantaneous execution that will come your way via every other player.
Also when you're Infected the game basically IS trolling anyways, so yeah.

• Locked thread