Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rap music
Mar 11, 2006

:frogsiren::frogsiren: EARLY ACCESS 2/21/18 NOW!! :frogsiren::frogsiren:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/551860/Abandon_Ship/

Think FTL on the high seas with pirates and monsters. It looks to have many of the same elements like procedurally generated exploration, randomized events, ship customization via tons of various weapons and equipment, micromanaging your custom crew in the heat of battle, boarding, etc.

quote:

Abandon Ship is a PC game where you take command of a ship and her crew, exploring a diverse, procedurally generated world, taking on quests and dealing with random events. Frequently, you will end up engaging other ships in combat, the player having to employ their best tactics in order to out-maneuver and out-gun the enemy.

The game focuses on “Age of Sail” ships in a Fantasy setting, framed in an Art Style inspired by classic Naval Oil Paintings.

Life in the world of Abandon Ship can be brutal. Death is permanent. But the game doesn’t end if your vessel is destroyed. You are the Captain, and as long as the Captain is alive, there is always hope. By escaping to a Lifeboat, or even being stranded, alone in the water, there is still a chance to survive and fight your way back to the top.

Combat is tactical and savage. Each battle is hard-fought, always on the edge of defeat. Your only chance of overcoming the odds is to employ every advantage you can and utilize all the tools at your disposal.

Explore a fantasy world that reacts to your actions. Quests may drastically change the environment. Make decisions that create friends or enemies that may later come back to help or hinder you.

Just watch the drat early access trailer if you want to know what the game is about, or alternatively, have played FTL!

https://youtu.be/CVoB4BSgkR4

Exploration!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ooi9Ve_uI6g

Combat!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OggALQFHQWk

Doomsday Cults and Monsters!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa7sHudcXV4

Etc.!

rap music fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Feb 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
hows the game

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i don't really want to watch the drat video, OP. can you describe it

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i don't really want to watch the drat video, OP. can you describe it

it's 1:58 seconds long and runs at 60fps in 1080p

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Here is the steam store link if you're lazy and don't want to look for it yourself. It's on my wishlist, OP, and I hope it's good!.... but I am out of gaming money for the time being so I can't buy it day one. Sorry!

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

Here is the steam store link if you're lazy and don't want to look for it yourself. It's on my wishlist, OP, and I hope it's good!.... but I am out of gaming money for the time being so I can't buy it day one. Sorry!

good idea just added 2 da op

3 more hours!

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Looks interesting! According to Steam it'll become available in about 3 hours. Do we have any idea about the EA price?

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Early access trailer just came out and gives a pretty good look at what the game is like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVoB4BSgkR4

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Jesus, that kraken attack just made my heart sink from anxiety.

This game's going to be a hell of a thing, really hope it's good.

Dylan McKay
Oct 20, 2011

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation. I refuse to see Black Panther because they didn't ask the Black Ranger to be in it.

Bogart posted:

hows the game

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Is this Windows only? I have an annoyingly stubborn Linux friend who's been playing FTL a lot, so he would probably dig this.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

They plan to bring it to Linux and Mac in the future.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
So is this like Sid Meiers Pirates with magic and less arcady combat? Seems intriguing.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Hadn't hear of this until now, but it looks like it could be extremely my poo poo. Who's going to be the guinea pig then?

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
I have been following this game for a while. Looking forward to seeing what people think. I am going to wait before jumping in because, while the combat looks fun, the exploration and events look really basic from past videos. Those systems are a huge part of what made FTL great.

Also, they posted their Early Access Roadmap.

That Italian Guy posted:

Looks interesting! According to Steam it'll become available in about 3 hours. Do we have any idea about the EA price?
USD = 19.99
EUR = 19.99
GBP = 14.99
with a 15% launch discount.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I really liked FTL and I love the age of sails, bit the bullet on this and I'll give it a try later.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

yep installing now i'll post a trip report in a few

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

So far I have learned that it really does not like my lovely work computer's onboard graphics.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I think I like it, it really is FTL with boats.
It's easy to control, it's RTwP thank god, easy enough to get a read on the situation with the health bars and visuals, great art style that's easy on the eyes, and pretty satisfying sound effects.

I hope it goes all the way with its subject matter and hits us with crazy weapons and magic, unique crew members that give the ship cool buffs, and stuff like that.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Deakul posted:

I think I like it, it really is FTL with boats.

As someone else mentioned, how's the exploration/event part compared to FTL? It seems real time from the video?

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

That Italian Guy posted:

As someone else mentioned, how's the exploration/event part compared to FTL? It seems real time from the video?

Yeah it's real time exploration. You uncover the map and its elements while discovering and completing a set number of events (indicated by a "!") to unlock the next area.

You can see it in action here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEdxrfJRUpE&t=529s

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Yeah, I hope it adds a bit more personality to the on map representation of events down the road... as they are they're just icons you sail to.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Huh. Too bad, I was hoping for something more sandboxy like Pirates with trading and free-form piracy and questing and stuff.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Do you get x events per area, or you get x+n? I mean, can you chose which events look "better" from the area they pop up a bit like FTL, or do you simply get a set amount of events per area and you have to complete them all?

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Welp, since my crew was just brutally murdered by sea monsters and shortly thereafter I was eaten by a shark, I guess I'll paste some notes from my play sesh.

There are two game modes, story and combat campaign. Story is story. The pacing is infinitely better on subsequent playthroughs with the tutorials turned off. Combat campaign seems to focus more on combat with less exploration. You still get to outfit and customize your ship through increasingly difficult encounters.

The world map shows 15 greater zones, I'm not sure if all are presently explorable but there will be a lot to see it seems. I could have visited a dozen or so maps in the starting zone alone had I not been ripped limb from limb. I'm excited to see what they will add to exploration mode since it's a big part of their focus going forward.

Crew management includes different classes with various strengths and weaknesses such as healing, snipers, melee combat proficiency, increased reloading speed, combat maneuver enhancement, and more.

Ports have ship outfitting, upgrading, and customization, as well as random events and encounters. There are of course events, quests, cult encounters, and floating treasure in the very pretty exploration mode, although I would love to be able to travel in the top down, whole map view.

Different ship classes like frigates, galleons, warships available for purchase. Lot of ship upgrades and they are displayed in combat which can be helpful, eg. I shouldn't ram that ship with dozens of metal spikes waiting to impale me.

Sound design is fantastic, from combat to environmental.

Since you can equip different weapon loadouts on either side of your ship, combat can have some depth. For instance customizing sides to suit your engagement distance or preferred combat style.

The Kraken encounter is definitely anxiety inducing.

It's a great game for $16 and I can't wait to see how they continue to flesh it out.

rap music fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Feb 22, 2018

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Oh also, you can definitely be a pirate and plunder merchant ships you may happen to encounter.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Bought this because I'm a sucker for anything pirate or pirate-adjacent and hearing my captain shout "Brace!" before slamming into an enemy ship with a crashing of timbers is the most satisfying thing.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

This actually looks like a lot of fun and I totally want to get it, but the Stellaris expansion drops tomorrow and I know it will monopolize my time.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Are crew commands semi-automated? One of the reviews read like you have issue attack commands for each enemy, instead of having someone continue to engage once their current fight js done.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Is fire ever worth it? Tried using a fire mortar, and all it seemed to do was keep one enemy sailor busy for about 3 seconds whenever it actually managed to trigger a fire or two.

ilmucche posted:

Are crew commands semi-automated? One of the reviews read like you have issue attack commands for each enemy, instead of having someone continue to engage once their current fight js done.
The commands for the standard cannons are automated, the ones for the misc stuff like the grapeshot or mortar are not, for some reason.
Oh yeah, and for combat it seems a bit random. Sometimes they will reengage immediately, sometimes they'll decide to just stand around.

Edit: Also, the "Press this button to brace" mechanic feels completely pointless, I have no idea why it's in the game.
Maybe it would have more of an impact if you couldn't pause in combat, but well, you can.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Feb 22, 2018

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Can you drain a section of the hull of oxygen by flooding it?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I gotta say, I'm not super in love with the boarding gameplay. It worked well in FTL because you could lock off sections of the ship, vent them to space, and have your boarders damage individual components, but without that aspect it turns into a pretty one-dimensional "murder all the enemy crew or bust" deal. The events where you just have a bunch of fishmen hop on your ship are basically just a flat check whether you've got enough people who are good enough at fighting. The player's involvement just boils down to rotating people to the sickbay and back.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Yeah it doesn't yet have the combat depth of ftl. It felt like there were a dozen ways to win in that but in abandon ship I just ram the poo poo out of enemy ships which is brutal with heavy hull spikes and basically an I win button.

I will say though that I am seeing a lot more weapon variety now that I'm progressing but they are so expensive I haven't got to try them.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

I think a huge difference i miss is the variety of starting ships in FTL which let you approach the combat in different ways from the very beginning of each playthrough. In AS you don't really begin to customize your ship until an hour or two into the story.

That said, I still haven't tried Combat Campaign which looks to start you off with a huge customizable ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StuntKid
Dec 10, 2003
I started the Story mode and made it to the 4th map screen or whatever, but I got caught by the strong ship when the Kraken meter got full and he killed 3x of my crew.
Went to the 2nd port I've unlocked where recruiting new crew is like 150gold, and I've only got 45gold. How the hell do I get crew when I don't even have enough crew to win a fight to win more gold?
I'm doing something wrong here, but I am definitely stuck.

• Locked thread