Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I forget the specifics of Jan and Troy, but the phrase is instinctively making me laugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Not Another D&D Podcast: (NADDPOD): Young, Hung, and Full of Tongue

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

They mentioned something in the short rest that I hadn’t considered, which is that trinyvale must be a nightmare to DM, because it’s such an id-driven campaign where the players do as many unpredictable things as possible. Like the whole planning for gex to be their guide, and Murph flatly refusing to follow him into the first TV

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

That was excellent improv all around. They're ridiculously good at responding to each other's ideas.

Personally curious when Jake might get up the courage to try dming himself, he's come a really long way since the first episodes.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Jeremor posted:

That was excellent improv all around. They're ridiculously good at responding to each other's ideas.

Personally curious when Jake might get up the courage to try dming himself, he's come a really long way since the first episodes.

I’d love to see that yeah. I bet he’d do better than he gives himself credit for, and obviously he couldn’t ask for a more supportive group of players.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Ainsley McTree posted:

I’d love to see that yeah. I bet he’d do better than he gives himself credit for, and obviously he couldn’t ask for a more supportive group of players.

Jake said on If I Were You Segments this morning (his podcast with Amir) that he'd be "way too afraid" to do improv on stage with Ben Schwartz, and that really, really surprised me. Here's a guy whose improv makes me laugh almost every single day, and he still feels like he's not good enough at it? He's even done live unscripted comedy shows many times before by way of Naddpod, live IIWY, CollegeHumor shows, etc.

Just goes to show that we all have insecurities, even about things we're objectively good at :shrug:

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I’m into the West Precinct arc on Eldermourne. Eldermourne as a whole I had been enjoying, but not as much as Bahumia or even the Hexblood arc, but this one is really grabbing me. Murph is doing such a great job of bringing different elements of each party member’s past together in a way that makes sense narratively. I’m on episode 28 and I can already see they are building to a climax which I’m very excited for.

Also, the bit with Hank’s jean jacket was extremely funny.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The Jean jacket was a nat 20 iirc wasn’t it? That was such a great moment for that character, to roll a nat 20 just maximize his humiliation

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Ainsley McTree posted:

The Jean jacket was a nat 20 iirc wasn’t it? That was such a great moment for that character, to roll a nat 20 just maximize his humiliation

It was a nat 20 to remember the truth of his relationship with Izzy followed by a second one where he realized the Jean jacket wasn’t even that cool.

EDIT: Shank just showed up in the Jean jacket, which Zirk established has NASTY written across the back in rhinestones.

TL fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 16, 2024

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Hank's jean jacket is definitely an all-timer bit

I do think Season 2 was a little bit worse than S1 and S3, but man when it hits it really hits

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
eldermourne was really great. i understand why some people didnt like it but it worked for me, start to finish

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I think that if eldermourne were much longer I might have been less positive on it but it ended right around the time I was starting to get tired of it so naddpod stays goated

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I think my favorite recurring bit Jake does as Nyack is making him weirdly puritanical. Especially the utter disgust with which he delivers the line “That was uncouth.” Say what you will about the man but Nyack does not tolerate rudeness or crassness.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I think that the NADDPOD special sauce is the balance of lighthearted goofs with fairly faithful to RAW role playing. Eldermourne is clearly an attempt to do something darker and more serious. I think it strayed too far from their strengths, and so wasn’t as successful as C1. Which is not to say it’s bad or not worth listening to. I think there’s a lot of cool stuff in there (and of course, the hexbuds).

C3 clearly returns to their roots and realigns with their strengths.

I give them a lot of credit for trying something new, not letting it go on for too long and then pivoting back to their original campaign. The pivot back to Bahumia was also done in such a way that they’ve given themselves space to continue to break new ground, rather than just keeping on with the same characters, or even the same time period.

All of that is difficult to do IMO. I think it takes a lot of skill and savvy.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

eldermourne was an *attempt* to do something darker, that was all out the window by about episode three

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I’m into the Bahumia 2-parter that Jasper William Cartwright DMed, and Murph playing Balnor as being totally over Hardwon’s poo poo is so funny.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

TL posted:

I’m into the Bahumia 2-parter that Jasper William Cartwright DMed, and Murph playing Balnor as being totally over Hardwon’s poo poo is so funny.

gently caress you just reminded me of the Balnor aftershow where Hardwon was doing inappropriate product sponsorships. What the hell was it called? I need to relisten now

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Jeremor posted:

gently caress you just reminded me of the Balnor aftershow where Hardwon was doing inappropriate product sponsorships. What the hell was it called? I need to relisten now

Baggin' It With Balnor

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Caldwells immediate derail by offering up a non existent chaise was great this episode

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Hardwon is such a hilariously stupid rear end in a top hat on this Bahumia two-parter and I am so here for it.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Grimdung.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Was not ready for a Something Awful stairs reference in C1e53

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
I don't remember that, what was the context?

E: no wonder I don't remember it, that's the "brothers, Thiala has blessed us with milk" episode

Government Handjob fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 24, 2024

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Jules, Jim, and even Hector! Come enjoy the nipple nectar!

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Wow, Fia’s nat 20 to Counterspell Tomevar was such a cool, clutch moment. I also really like Johnny and Kryssy. Caldwell’s Scottish accent makes me laugh every time , especially when he wants to take the Flux Construct’s mask to a sexual party.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
i can't follow any kind of actual play pod at all but i've been listening to episodes of dnd court and it's extremely entertaining

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice

Law Cheetah posted:

i can't follow any kind of actual play pod at all

It's a Krissy thing, you wouldn't understand

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Looks like he burned his chips

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Law Cheetah posted:

i can't follow any kind of actual play pod at all but i've been listening to episodes of dnd court and it's extremely entertaining

Dungeon Court rules because it alternates between cases that are extremely obvious what's about to happen from the first sentence and dumb poo poo you wouldn't think of in a million years

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
im skeptical of the authenticity of many of the cases

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

While there are a lot of weird cases not a single one has felt like shenanigans a D&D party wouldn't get up to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

scary ghost dog posted:

im skeptical of the authenticity of many of the cases

I’m hoping that few to none of the ones that made it on the pod are fully fake but I do get a lot of “I am only hearing one side of this story” vibes from some of the more damning ones