Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
My company has meeting room displays (thingie in front that says whether the room is booked or not, lights up in green or red depending, ability to book right then and there on the touch screen, you catch the drift) from a company called Evoko. They're crap. Expensive, no longer made, the software should embarrass a third semester CS student, etc.

Tell me about alternatives that don't suck. It's basically just a small computer with a touch screen, and a hook into an Exchange server. How hard can it be.

Link to Evoko: https://www.evoko.se/products/evoko-liso/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
We use EIOBoard from Savance. It's clunky and the AD integration sucksssss (doesn't support Security Groups, so you need to choose an entire OU or individual users).

Cheapish though and it does have a kiosk mode.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Thanks, I'll check it out!

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost
Google built their own with arduinos and cheapo small LCD displays. Never seen a better solution.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
There's no reason that these should be a grand in a world where you can get an entire Raspberry Pi web frame kit for 125 quid.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

There's a lot that is expensive, this eink solution looks interesting,

https://www.hackster.io/team-visionect/e-paper-room-booking-system-with-google-calendar-c06859

Compared with this priced system,

https://getjoan.com/

bolind posted:

There's no reason that these should be a grand in a world where you can get an entire Raspberry Pi web frame kit for 125 quid.

The Pi based systems all tend to be quite deep and not good with heat dissipation, especially the faster 3. I'm looking for a good set of gear for a music teaching studio, and for a hobby project to cover a wall with NFL & MLB team scores.

I'm just working with some third party conference room hardware for inside the room, omg what awful software. It has an API exposed by a plain text TCP port with like a middle school coded message protocol. I wrote a server that will attempt to reverse connect into connecting devices and convert the API into something you can access via WebSockets.

code:
<P><UN>su</UN><Pwd></Pwd><Cmd>WakeUp</Cmd><P1>
</P1><P2>
</P2><P3></P3><P4></P4><P5></P5><P6></P6><P7></P7>
<P8></P8>
<P9></P9><P10></P10></P>
Copy & pasted from their documentation, with formatting. Responses are pipe | delimited fields in \r\n delimited messages, and will include \n separated text. Errors are all reported via Error<code> with explanation in the docs.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Feb 11, 2019

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Steelcase make one that is meant to be OK, so do Crestron, but they’re probably all poo poo as well as being incredibly expensive.

iPad-based solutions just end up turning the batteries into balloons that then try and escape the case - they really aren’t designed to be digital signs.

I’ll be watching this thread because people like shiny things and I don’t think a grand a time is good value to avoid having to look in a calendar.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Crestron's bad, though the hardware and UI may look nice, every one i've encountered has atrocious input lag

Could well be the best existing solution though :/

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Our Crestrons have never worked. I think the building is like 7 years old, complete fit-out, everything designed together.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

We have an iPad-based setup and this is 1000% true:

Thanks Ants posted:

iPad-based solutions just end up turning the batteries into balloons that then try and escape the case - they really aren't designed to be digital signs.

Don't anyone make a tablet that instead of a battery and wifi antenna take a simple Ethernet jack with PoE?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yes and they will charge you three times the price of a tablet for the privilege

https://www.aopen.com/GB_en/products_info/eTILE-X15

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

Yes and they will charge you three times the price of a tablet for the privilege

https://www.aopen.com/GB_en/products_info/eTILE-X15

Seems nice though.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There's a big market on Alibaba for $130 Android touchscreens that are PoE, but I'd have reservations about putting them on a network with access to corporate calendars.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

There's a big market on Alibaba for $130 Android touchscreens that are PoE, but I'd have reservations about putting them on a network with access to corporate calendars.

You should probably put them on an isolated network with only access to DHCP and a web server offering limited interactions for the meeting system (and no internet).

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
To wrap this up, the company decided to go for Joan, which does look promising, especially the no cables aspect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

bolind posted:

To wrap this up, the company decided to go for Joan, which does look promising, especially the no cables aspect.

Final verdict now that my Joans are up and running:

THE GOOD
No cables.
Portal is very nice and reasonably intuitive.
Magnetic mount is super nice, they just snap into place, very precisely.
Screen contrast is good
Possibility of custom logo and custom QR Wi-Fi code.
Long battery life.

THE BAD
Mini jack plug/cable don’t mate super nicely, needs a little extra shove.
Latency is a bit high when using the touchscreen.
The evokos with their green/red light made it super easy to see the status of a meeting room from across the office.
The meeting room name itself could be bigger.
Still expensive.
Eink display has some ghosting.

All in all, we’re pretty happy with them.