Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Hah, glad someone else got a kick out that story. It was a just a little bit like that Anchorman scene where Ron Burgundy busts out the flute, except more of a high-school jazz combo level of competence. The enthusiasm was there though.

Upon reflection, partially filled beer bottles are actually claves, not maracas (obviously).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Was the guy wasted or just naturally psyched? He sounds like fun.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

No he seemed pretty normal. Blond guy, button-up shirt, nice teeth and big smile, just loved playing flute and was psyched to play with some different musicians. Honestly I feel kind of bad poking a little fun at him, he was definitely chagrined and embarrassed afterwards and played it cool the night after, just walking by and dropping off his CD without saying anything. He might have been a couple drinks in, but nothing obvious. He was the grown-up version of an overly enthusiastic high school kid who you could get to laugh way too loud way too easily. Or he could have been an ultra-christian stalker with repressed anger issues, who knows.

We were playing some kind of Bossa Nova, wish I could remember. The Girl From Ipanema seems likely. The drummer and I went into a double-time bossa beat after a few solo choruses and this guy's energy also doubled.

Funkysmooth, you're ok in my book.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Asimov posted:

Funkysmooth, you're ok in my book.
There's a life philosophy in all of this. :allears:

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

That story was great!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Now I want to hear that cd

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Found a track from the CD, get ready for some feels when the flute comes in.

https://soundcloud.com/user-552696463/cloud-etcetera

Asimov fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Oct 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
My guitarist had scored us a gig in some hall somewhere with vague details about payment, genre and the event itself but it had been a while since we'd put together a gig so figured why the hell not.

We show up and it's a wedding for a friend of a friend of the guitarist. Since we were a punk band, complete with boots and fatigue jackets and spikes, with about sixty forty-five second songs we huddled up and put together a setlist of covers and fumbled our way through the next couple of hours. I think we played through our entire repertoire of songs two or three times that night.

While that in itself wasn't so bad, it turned out the videographer for the wedding must have been fascinated by us so of about six hours of wedding footage he captured about forty minutes of us on film. But he also managed to capture the moment with an artist's eye because we are perfectly framed in the shot and my standing looking uncomfortable stage right as the lead singer sings "Sweet Jane" to a perfectly framed and captured empty dance floor until a drunk woman in a cream dress walks onto the dance floor and tries to dance to "Manic Depression".

The video is epic: there is beautiful depth of field in the shot as mom-in-a-cream dress jerks and spasms arrhythmically in the middle of a sea of empty dance floor as the lead singer goes into full vamp mode with the rest of the band feeling awkward as hell and checking our watches.

The night itself was pretty bad but now, with the band long since broken up, with us all still in contact we have that video to share a laugh over. All we have to say is "It was a cream dress moment" and we all start laughing.