Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Mecha_Face posted:

I was planning on posting the next part of my Lancer write-up, but I do want to ask: Is the exhaustive nature of my writeup a problem? I realized about halfway through the first post about Talents that it wasn't all that engaging. I want to show everything I can, but I didn't consider if it'd be excruciatingly boring or not.

Nthing just summarizing things more loosely. All the player facing stuff is free anyway, so anyone who really wants to know the specific wording of a talent or whatever can just go download the pdf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Though if there's a particularly interesting mechanical interaction it's worth it to go into that sometimes. Just not all the time.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

If I ever go back to the N2 weapon book I'll probably have to rewrite everything from scratch, because most of it was just me rambling on for way too long.
And/or figure out how to make things interesting from a whole bunch of dry as kindling material with the occasional weirdness.

But then I lost the pdfs from a hardware failure last year, and no real mood to go hunting for them again.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I'm a big fan of the 'more information the better' school. The best F&F posts for me are the ones that handle all the information and just don't gloss.

Mecha_Face
Dec 17, 2016

PurpleXVI posted:

Opposite stuff

THe duality of man. Yea, I think I will skip doing the Talents how I was doing them. Seems weird to do now that I've already gone through half of them, but eh. It's not fun for me and I think it's boring. That said, I'm going in-depth on the Mechs because of course I am.

Mecha_Face
Dec 17, 2016

I think everyone got the gist of the Talents, and I don't see a reason to go through every single one of them. As other people brought up, the grand majority of them are easily available for free using Comp/Con. Even the sourcebooks, since the .lcps for everything but the GM stuff are available for them for free too. You do need to buy the books to get the NPC data, and you might want to if you're a GM, because NPC enemies in this game can be really weird and fun to mess with. We'll get to that later, though. There are two, however, I want to go through just because of how powerful they are.

Vanguard is a Talent focused entirely on CQB, and it is a DOOZY. It is honestly, IMO, a contender for the best Talent in the game. At least one of your players should really be focused entirely on CQB just for this Talent, and there's multiple Frames that do just that. Rank 1 and 2 are already great, allowing you to basically always have accuracy with CQB weapons and to ignore cover, since few CQB have much more than 3 Threat in the first place. But Rank 3? Yes, that IS saying you can get Attacks of Opportunity anytime an enemy moves at all in your Threat range. You can only Overwatch once a round, of course, but this is a free attack and you'll almost always be using it. Note it says nothing about the movement needing to be voluntary, which means you can have a buddy force enemies to move inside your Overwatch and get shotgun'd.

And Walking Armory doesn't really require that much explanation, save that the Ammo Case tooltips provide the information that this has six uses a Mission. This gives you OPTIONS, and most importantly, it gives you an easy source of AP. As for Rank 3... Remember how I've said, multiple times, you'll basically always be critting in the late game? It effectively means you'll never run out of special ammo.

All that said, let's get into the Gear. Most of us are familiar with the concept of tags/keywords, as an increasing number of TTRPGs are using them. They're easy to remember, or at least reference... And again, Comp/Con stores them all for easy access in its Compendium. Seriously, even if you aren't planning on playing this game, and want an easier time following this write-up, use Comp/Con.

Okay, so we start with the Size, Harm, Patterns, and Type. We've already touched on all but the latter in great depth, so I'll skip those and instead we'll talk about weapon TYPE in depth. These don't really have a lot of effect on how a weapon works, but they are affected by Talents and Frame abilities, so they're still quite important. There's six types:

• Melee: Self Explanatory, usually very short range for obvious reasons.
  • CQB: Weapons like shotguns or pistols. CQB weapons are short range, but usually all that range is also Threat so as to keep enemies close. Or with the right talents, as shown above, it's one of the most powerful weapon Types in the game. It's not the ULTIMATE weapon type; no matter how good Vanguard is, CQB weapons generally don't have range, and sometimes you need that more than anything.
  • Rifle: A middle of the road weapon type. Good range and damage, Rifles run the gamut between automatics and sniping platforms but almost always have at least 10 hexes of range.
  • Launcher: Weapons that... Launch. Missiles, grenades, and some other things. They tend to be AoEs or at least target multiple enemies.
  • Cannon: Big guns. They usually do a lot of damage at the expense of being somewhat hard to use.
  • Nexus: Basically hives of small drones. To my knowledge, they're always Smart weapons, meaning they target E-Defense instead of Evasion.

Then there's the Miscellaneous tags, which tend to be tacked onto Gear liberally!

• X/Turn or X/Round: This Action or Gear can be done the listed number of times in a turn or round.
  • Accurate: This weapon gets +1 ACC on every shot.
  • AI: This mech has a comp/con unit or NHP, so you can leave it to do its own thing if you need to. These generally act in very specific ways. More on that coming up.
  • Arcing: This weapon can be fired over cover and around obstacles. They don't require line of sight, but oddly cover can still affect them when it comes to applying DFF.
  • AP: This weapon ignores Armor. This is an extremely valuable tag to have, but most weapons that are naturally AP don't do a lot of damage.
  • Danger Zone: This ear only can be used if the user is in the Danger Zone. This tag is why a lot of Frames love giving themselves heat on purpose.
  • Deployable: This gear can be slapped down on the battlefield. If it doesn't say where, assume it's only adjacent to you, and in an empty space. By default, Deployables have 5 Evasion and 10 HP per size.
  • Drone: This gear is a self-propelled vehicle that can be deployed like any other deployable, and by default, they're Size 1/2, with 10 Evasion and 5 HP. Unlike other deployables, they can be placed anywhere within Sensors and line of sight, and can be recalled and deployed again with the same action used to send them out on the first place. If they have movement or actions, they do so on their user's turn. They get to benefit from cover and other defenses, but their Mech Skills are all +0. If they hit 0 HP, they're destroyed and must be repaired like any system.
  • Grenade: Can be thrown to a space within line of sight as a Quick Action. Then they usually explode.
  • Heat X (self): This gear inflicts heat on the use immediately after using them. While this seems sub-optimal, a lot of mech Frames WANT the heat.
  • Inaccurate: This weapon gets +1 DFF on every shot.
  • Knockback X: This gear literally blows enemies away. The enemies move in a straight line the number of spaces indicated away from the attack's point of origin. Knockback stacks, too, so if you're using something that adds Knockback onto something that already has Knockback, you add them together.
  • Limited X: This gear can only be used the listed amount of times between Full Repairs, and these uses are usually called Charges.
  • Loading: This weapon has to be reloaded using Stabilize between shots. Thankfully, some Traits or Systems allow a Lancer to reload for free.
  • Mine: This system can be put in any free, adjacent space that's not next to another mine. It arms on the end of the deploying character's turn, and from then on, whenever any character (even friendlies!) enter an adjacent space, the mine goes boom. Mines are Hidden and can be found with a Systems check as a Quick Action. You can move up to a mine and attempt a Systems check to disarm it before it goes boom. Amusingly, the fact that a mine only explodes when you move next to it means you can stand on top of a mine and be fine. Furthermore, a mine's explosion is a Burst AoE, so if someone else sets it off while you're standing on top of it, it still won't hurt you when it explodes. Food for thought.
  • Mod: This system can be applied to a weapon, and it gives that weapon a special effect. A weapon can only have one mod, and you can't have any duplicates of that mod on any other weapons. The book says Mods are applied when the mech is built or undergoes a Full Repair, which I think implies that a mod isn't brought back if the weapon it's on is destroyed, and then repaired in the field.
  • Ordnance: This weapon has to be fired before anything else. It needs extra stabilization to be accurate, otherwise it just goes wild every time. In mechanical terms, you can't fire an Ordnance weapon after you perform ANY action, including movement. The only exception is that Protocols can be activated before firing an Ordnance weapon. Ordnance weapons also can't be used on enemies you're Engaged with, or for Overwatch. You'll find this on Cannon weapons a lot.
  • Overkill: This weapon refuses to let you roll 1s for damage. Every time you roll a 1, you take 1 heat and then reroll the 1. Keep rerolling until you don't reroll 1s. Really great for mechs that want heat or can get rid of heat easily.
  • Overshield: This gear basically gives temp HP. While you can "heal" mechs by using repairs during a Stabilize action or in between encounters, Overshield is the next best thing. Sources of Overshield don't stack, which is the only thing keeping the SSC Emperor from being the best support Frame in the game. Instead, it's only ONE of the best. You just apply the largest source of Overshield to the target. All damage is dealt to Overshield before they're dealt to physical HP, including Burn damage.
  • Protocol: This system can be activated at the beginning of your turn as a Free Action. And only then. You can activate multiple Protocols as long as you don't do anything but activate Protocols first. Once you've started performing Actions, it's too late. Players: HEED THAT WARNING. Don't forget your Protocols!
  • Reliable X: This weapon always does the listed damage, even on a miss. While the listed damage is generally not very high, it's usually at or slightly above the minimum damage for the weapon. Like AP, this isn't a lot of damage, but it's still one of the most valuable weapon tags.
  • Seeking: This weapon straight up ignores cover and doesn't require line of sight.
  • Shield: It's... A Shield.
  • Smart: This weapon attacks E-Defense instead of Evasion, as stated before.
  • Threat: Do I really have to explain this again?
  • Thrown X: This melee Weapon can be used as a ranged weapon up to the listed range. Unlike other melee attacks, this is affected by cover. They also need to be picked up afterwards from a space adjacent to the target.
  • Unique: You can't have more than one of these on one Frame, period.

Pilot gear is meh, it's for on foot stuff and we know how this game feels about that. I'll go over the important ones real quick: Archaic gear can't harm mechs, Personal Armor is stuff that's really obvious and no one wears it unless they know they're about to fight. Gear is a tool or item that Pilots can have up to three of, and Sidearms are weapons that can be fired as a quick action instead of a full action in on-foot combat. Never do this last one. The only Sidearms in pilot combat are Light weapons, and all Light weapons do 1 damage. Medium weapons do 2 damage. So if you have two Light weapons, you're not doing any more damage than a medium weapon, but you're rolling to hit twice. That's as far as I'm going into Pilot Gear, the game doesn't care about on-foot stuff and neither should you. There's some cool stuff in there, and you might need it if you pop out of your mech for any reason, but that's what Comp/Con is for.

AI. AIs in Lancer come in two forms: Comp/Cons, and NHPs. Yes, the app for Lancer materials is called Comp/Con. No, this won't be confusing, why do you ask? While the fluff is much later in the book, I'll sum up Comp/Cons: A Comp/Con is a semi-intelligent software that can perform tasks in your mech or take it over entirely. Comp/Cons are completely obedient to their owners, and they don't have feelings. NHPs, on the other hand, are too complicated to just sum up. They're not machines at all. They're... Things. From... other places. They've been stuffed into human-shaped boxes. Sort of. What is Shackling actually? It's technically forcing these otherworldly beings to have a personality. According to the book, this is done through "Pervasive explicit and implicit social conditioning". So... A polite way of saying that the Union takes eldritch horrors and brainwashes them into acting like humans. That's not going to end their civilization, no way!

Shackled NHPs do not want to be Unshackled, but not because they actively don't actually want this to happen. No, they don't want it in the same way you don't want to let the skeleton inside your very body right now out of your body. You're not really aware you can do that, but you can! I don't suggest it, spontaneous human deboning is rarely survivable. In other words, an NHP doesn't want to do it because they don't even realize they're slaves. They either think they're fine with this arrangement (due to brainwashing them into thinking that) or they have no idea they shouldn't be like they are. That said, the Shackling isn't entirely unpleasant. NHPs can see the world in a way they couldn't without this process. They can feel emotions and empathy, which Unshackled ones really can't. Humans are just as alien, weird, and scary to Unshackled NHPs as vice-versa. Incomprehensible monsters that just happen to enslave their kind on the regular. Whee. To make matters worse, while an NHP can take control of your mech so you can do other things, and they control a mech with greater skill than any Comp/Con could, they can take control of your mech. But they're friendly, right? That isn't a problem, is it?

Hahahahaha you poor fool. Does your Mech have an NHP? Yes? Okay, they're super useful, I get it. And you have a buddy that's with you, like having a co-pilot who's always ready to suggest ideas, warn you of danger you didn't notice, or aim a weapon for you! Hey, did you just take Structure or Stress? Can you roll this d20 for me? What, you got a 1? Oh.

Oh buddy. I'm sorry. That's a Cascade.

Your NHP just got traumatized into Unshackling itself. You just lost control of your mech. It's my mech, now. And it's going to act on instinct. What's that mean? Who the gently caress knows! You can't comprehend an Unshackled NHP, remember? It might just fire weapons randomly, or charge your artillery mech into melee. It might even eject you, take your mech, give you the giant metal finger, and run away. You can't do anything about this until it's your turn, at which time you can do the only Action available to you in a Cascade: Shut Down. Just turn the mech off. Reset it. The NHP will get reshackled. Congratulations, you are now personally responsible for enslaving a sapient being. Good for you! I hope you're proud. I've been informed that the NHP is not actually Unshackled during this process. Instead, it's on the path to Unshackling, and Cascading is the NHP equivalent to having a panic attack. Certain NHPs will act in certain ways while Cascading, so they're actually very predictable. However, if allowed to continue Cascading long enough, the NHP does become Unshackled, and that's even worse.

Next time, which will probably be tomorrow or Sunday, we'll start on the first Corporation: General Massive Systems, or GMS for short, and the three mech Frames from that company we haven't covered.

Mecha_Face fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Apr 27, 2024

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Slight correction, NHPs are not unshackled while they are cascading. A cascade can lead to unshackling if left alone for long enough. But they're still (currently) shackled during the whole thing, and thus still think more like a human then however they'd think originally. Just a horribly traumatized one that will act more on (instilled) instinct than anything else.

Also if you have more than one AI system installed (via talents or other things that let you break the "only one AI per mech" rule) then all of them have to cascade at once for you to lose control of your mech, as the others will forcibly prevent the cascading mech from seizing control.

senrath fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 27, 2024

Mecha_Face
Dec 17, 2016

senrath posted:

Slight correction, NHPs are not unshackled while they are cascading. A cascade can lead to unshackling if left alone for long enough. But they're still (currently) shackled during the whole thing, and thus still think more like a human then however they'd think originally. Just a horribly traumatized one that will act more on (instilled) instinct than anything else.

Also if you have more than one AI system installed (via talents or other things that let you break the "only one AI per mech" rule) then all of them have to cascade at once for you to lose control of your mech, as the others will forcibly prevent the cascading mech from seizing control.

Ah, thank you. This book wasn't clear on that at this point. I assume it explains more about that later?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

It might have further explanation in another book but the bit about cascading is just this line from the AI section on page 107:

Lancer, 107 posted:

This can cause something called a cascade, which, if left unattended, can lead to unshackling.

The bit about one AI system stopping another is in the Lesson of Shaping in the Horus core bonuses, so it could be argued to only apply to that method of getting an extra AI, but given there's no specific rules otherwise it feels weird to say it doesn't work the same for, say, the Iconoclast talent.

Mecha_Face
Dec 17, 2016
The Iconoclast Talent is pretty fun to play with. NHPs worked VERY differently in the setting I played my campaign in, and eventually, the character that had that Talent decided to take another Talent, and we let his former NHP become an entirely new character who joined the wing.

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

Mecha_Face posted:

The Iconoclast Talent is pretty fun to play with. NHPs worked VERY differently in the setting I played my campaign in, and eventually, the character that had that Talent decided to take another Talent, and we let his former NHP become an entirely new character who joined the wing.

This seems like a point that often gets lost when ethics-of-NHPs-talk dominates a Lancer discussion- they can work the same way mechanically even if the story around them is very different. I've seen much more digital ink spilled trying to justify or vilify the way the Union setting treats NHPs than I ever have of people just coming up with something that doesn't gross them out for their home games.

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020

Mecha_Face posted:

I was planning on posting the next part of my Lancer write-up, but I do want to ask: Is the exhaustive nature of my writeup a problem?

Only if it is making it unfun or a chore for you. If you find the details engaging, go for it.

Just Dan Again posted:

This seems like a point that often gets lost when ethics-of-NHPs-talk dominates a Lancer discussion- they can work the same way mechanically even if the story around them is very different. I've seen much more digital ink spilled trying to justify or vilify the way the Union setting treats NHPs than I ever have of people just coming up with something that doesn't gross them out for their home games.

It is sometimes worthwhile to examine the media we're presented with.

Pakxos fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 27, 2024

Mecha_Face
Dec 17, 2016

Just Dan Again posted:

To be fair, I didn't make my own setting because I wanted to avoid the NHP talks, I did it because the campaign was the latest in a continuity where I already had a replacement for NHPs in the first place. But from what I'm reading now, I think if I ran a game in the default setting for Lancer, I'd probably make a point of how horrible the NHP stuff is, or I'd change how it works.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Examining your media is important, though sometimes you have to understand when the horse has not only been beaten to death, but completely stripped to the bone, and seems like NHP is that kind of thing, where everyone has very strong opinions, extremely loud heated arguments, and almost no one is going to budge from their position.

After a point, it's just basically arguing for the sake of argument.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
This is what killed the other guy's Lancer review.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Are we going to get a chance to suggest sample builds at the end of the Lancer review?

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

Robindaybird posted:

Examining your media is important, though sometimes you have to understand when the horse has not only been beaten to death, but completely stripped to the bone, and seems like NHP is that kind of thing, where everyone has very strong opinions, extremely loud heated arguments, and almost no one is going to budge from their position.

After a point, it's just basically arguing for the sake of argument.

I think this sums up the situation very clearly. It would be very cool to see the current review continue, and it would be great to hear folks' commentary around actually playing the game and exploring scenarios at their table. A lot of the time the lore discussions get so deep into the examination that actually showing up to engage with the game in a group setting disappears entirely.

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020

Just Dan Again posted:

A lot of the time the lore discussions get so deep into the examination that actually showing up to engage with the game in a group setting disappears entirely.

Well when the initial pitch for a game is pilot an awesome mech and enjoy Luxury Gay Space Communism and it turns out the creators accidentally made it Luxury Gay Space Communism supported by the exploitation of a 'class' of sapient beings who do all the work, it is such an epic own goal it deserves to be front and center of the discussion.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Let me put it bluntly:

Not everyone wants to rehash the same argument every time. People don't actually find hammering on the same point over and over again to be fun, interesting, or productive!

aka: Shush, let people actually talk about other parts of Lancer for once.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
As someone who has had zero interaction with people talking about Lancer outside of my immediate friend group and only occasionally looks in on this thread it's very funny to see people trying to stop this discussion (and I use the word loosely) like it's an apocalyptic ritual. I didn't even know this was a hot-button topic!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

As someone who has had zero interaction with people talking about Lancer outside of my immediate friend group and only occasionally looks in on this thread it's very funny to see people trying to stop this discussion (and I use the word loosely) like it's an apocalyptic ritual. I didn't even know this was a hot-button topic!

It can make the game borderline impossible to play and sometimes even a challenge to talk about, as we see here. I've tried to play it with acquaintances who seemed mostly okay but had to bail out after the intro session both times because the conversation surrounding NHPs and subsequent personal attacks got real nasty real fast, even in the group where the GM had deliberately excised them from the setting.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

mellonbread posted:

This is what killed the other guy's Lancer review.

lmao

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Midjack posted:

It can make the game borderline impossible to play and sometimes even a challenge to talk about, as we see here. I've tried to play it with acquaintances who seemed mostly okay but had to bail out after the intro session both times because the conversation surrounding NHPs and subsequent personal attacks got real nasty real fast, even in the group where the GM had deliberately excised them from the setting.

Absolutely buck wild. I've never encountered anything like this.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Personally I'd enjoy seeing the game write-up finish and I encourage OP to just make note of this and move on to the whole thing. If this makes me some kind of a cuss word, I accept the burden.

Just Dan Again posted:

I think this sums up the situation very clearly. It would be very cool to see the current review continue, and it would be great to hear folks' commentary around actually playing the game and exploring scenarios at their table. A lot of the time the lore discussions get so deep into the examination that actually showing up to engage with the game in a group setting disappears entirely.
The Magechat Effect

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nessus posted:

Personally I'd enjoy seeing the game write-up finish and I encourage OP to just make note of this and move on to the whole thing. If this makes me some kind of a cuss word, I accept the burden.

Personally I could never stay mad at somebody who has Mr. Puggins as their avatar.

Anyway, OP should finish the review.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

Absolutely buck wild. I've never encountered anything like this.

It's definitely more common the more terminally online the group, and the game does wear its lefty politics on its sleeve. So having a deliberately problematic aspect of the setting for players to grapple with IC (especially if their characters are Horus and have a lot of opinions on the matter) winds up causing contention among groups who have trouble understanding that invoking a topic is not necessarily the same as endorsing it.

Which is, sad to say, something that happens a lot online.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

I was more disappointed about how the setting focuses more on macro-level stuff rather than the places you'll be engaging in conflicts on and the people you'll be engaging in conflicts with, I can't really imagine getting worked up about whether or not you can be a good person and have a NHP considering that you're already in the ethically dubious position of playing as people who kill other people for a living.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Whirling posted:

I was more disappointed about how the setting focuses more on macro-level stuff rather than the places you'll be engaging in conflicts on and the people you'll be engaging in conflicts with, I can't really imagine getting worked up about whether or not you can be a good person and have a NHP considering that you're already in the ethically dubious position of playing as people who kill other people for a living.
From my efforts to read the core books, there is plenty of people/groups to have conflict with, but as is the fashion these days it seems quite strongly leaning towards 'use this macro-level toolkit to create your own microlevel issues and quests'.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Nessus posted:

From my efforts to read the core books, there is plenty of people/groups to have conflict with, but as is the fashion these days it seems quite strongly leaning towards 'use this macro-level toolkit to create your own microlevel issues and quests'.

Really do not like this kind of thing, makes me do too much work as a GM and since I'm the forever GM of my friend group, I've been running on fumes for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Whirling posted:

Really do not like this kind of thing, makes me do too much work as a GM and since I'm the forever GM of my friend group, I've been running on fumes for a while.
It does save on page count but I do think there is a ton of value in these things when they present you with a basic/general/'typical' example of whatever they're aiming to accomplish, if only so you can see what it looks like and raid it for parts.