Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
Would help to have some examples of what I can do with this, here's some stuff I've been experimenting with as I figure the process out

the highlights for tackle are: compared to conventional mass-produced cast aluminium jig/lure molds, my approach i can capture exponentially more detail in a given part size + the surface finish of cast parts from the mold is far, far finer than what you'll get with . the fine surface finish + the soft base metal makes it very easy to buff the 60/40 alloy to a nice mirror polish by hand with some 0000-fine steel wool, for some visual flash; the precision of the cast parts also allows the casting of close-fitting mechanical assemblies that can replace, to some extent, wire fabricated parts like clevises and pivots, etc etc

this plumb bob turned out great, of course i never got a good picture before sending it on its merry way as a gift. i can swap the text plate out to alter the personalized engraving at will so i'm gonna get a lot of future gift mileage from it :buddy:

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

I don't know if I've mentioned it before, but tackleunderground.com is a decent forum to lurk if you're interested in making different types of lures and tackle. On that note, I found a thread about 3D printed molds for soft baits. Some kind of simple design like a long worm or eel shape could be a great launching point.

Also, we're now running into a little bit of shop jargon since plastic softbaits can be made two ways: open-pour/hand-pour and injection molding. Open-pour/hand-pour has a mold laid out flat on a surface and you pour liquid plastic into it from a pyrex measuring cup. Injection molding is a two-part mold clamped or bolted closed into which one injects liquid plastic from a giant metal syringe. As you may expect, the potential for catastrophe is far, far greater with molten plastic injected under pressure.

The only project that I can think of involving metal work is jigging raps. Seems like it would be the perfect lure for the effort: this way you don't have to gently caress with hooks and things, you'd be able to make a fair few of them with a pound of turboexpensive alloy, and they will require a wire form to cast around so you could go hog wild designing that.

Also I made some poo poo: 1.5 oz. spearhead jigs on 3/0 and 4/0 Eagle Claw saltwater hooks. Not sure what plastics to pair them with yet.

Those need a white paint dip and red spot. Gorgeous form can’t wait to try them.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Crab Dad posted:

Those need a white paint dip and red spot. Gorgeous form can’t wait to try them.

Thanks! I've been looking for a jig mold like this for a while now. Do-It has been sold out for ages, but I found a production mold on ebay and couldn't say no.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

The only project that I can think of involving metal work is jigging raps. Seems like it would be the perfect lure for the effort: this way you don't have to gently caress with hooks and things, you'd be able to make a fair few of them with a pound of turboexpensive alloy, and they will require a wire form to cast around so you could go hog wild designing that.

When I look up jigging raps, almost all of them have what looks like integrated/cast-in-place hooks, at least at the front/back. Or did you mean something more like this-

(not saying that's specifically a jigging rap) where eye-loops are provided for furnishing your own hooks?

e: actually, looking at bulk lead jigging lures, they all seem to have a crimp somewhere on the hook-line-

is there a slot that that the hook is placed into and then crimped to fix it? I wouldn't think you'd need the crimp with a pure cast-in-place arrangement.

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 16, 2021

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

that second picture is a lot closer to what apok means, could even remove the front hook honestly

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Ambrose Burnside posted:

When I look up jigging raps, almost all of them have what looks like integrated/cast-in-place hooks, at least at the front/back. Or did you mean something more like this-

(not saying that's specifically a jigging rap) where eye-loops are provided for furnishing your own hooks?

e: actually, looking at bulk lead jigging lures, they all seem to have a crimp somewhere on the hook-line-

is there a slot that that the hook is placed into and then crimped to fix it? I wouldn't think you'd need the crimp with a pure cast-in-place arrangement.

Like Ghostnuke said you can remove the front hook, the moonshine jigging lures are like that.

Compared to an actual jigging Rapala.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

yes! that purple one is what I use exactly. I think I have that exact one in my box right now.

Lowparts
Dec 23, 2015
Anybody got an opinion on Peak fly tying vices? I'm looking to upgrade from baby's first vice now that I've decided to overcomplicate my love of fishing.

atlas barfed
Aug 17, 2006

Lowparts posted:

Anybody got an opinion on Peak fly tying vices? I'm looking to upgrade from baby's first vice now that I've decided to overcomplicate my love of fishing.

Haven't used one myself, but they're recommendation of my local fly shop. They've never steered me wrong for advice with other recommendations.

I've owned both a Regal travel vise and a Griffin Mongoose.

Lowparts
Dec 23, 2015

atlas barfed posted:

Haven't used one myself, but they're recommendation of my local fly shop. They've never steered me wrong for advice with other recommendations.

I've owned both a Regal travel vise and a Griffin Mongoose.

Thanks. What are your thoughts on the Regal and Griffin?

atlas barfed
Aug 17, 2006
The Regal is convenient due to having a spring holding the clamp shut; you squeeze the lever on the side and it opens the jaws. The Mongoose has a thumbscrew that adjusts the jaws, then a cam lever that closes them. Both are quick changing between flies, with the Mongoose needing to be adjusted if changing hook sizes. Mongoose can adjust tension, but there's a chance of getting it too light and having what you're working on slip if you're not careful. The travel Regal clamps at one force.

Regal has finer jaws, and I feel is easier with small nymph and dry fly hooks than the Mongoose. Due to adjustability and size, the Mongoose is better at accommodating larger hooks like you'd use for bass and saltwater streamers. Though I've tied down to an 18 or 20 using the Mongoose and done fine. Regal does sell different sized heads such as a big game one, or one for midges.

Both have rotating heads, but Mongoose has more adjustability, and can easily change the length of the jaws to keep a fly in axis with the rotation of the vise. You can also adjust tension of the vices rotation. This does give the Mongoose some play, and the Regal feels more solid, but it's not anything that's ever bothered me.

Mongoose comes with a bobbin holder which is useful for some things, and I prefer the materials holder on it. I'm pretty sure Griffin still includes several of their tools with the Mongoose, so you get stuff like an extra bobbin, hackle gauge, and it comes in a plastic pistol case which are convenient.

Typically I'm using the Regal due to being easy and quick. Mongoose is my choice for larger streamers, or anything I tie that that really depends on the rotary function. I would be happy with either as my only vise, though I bought the Mongoose at 180 several years ago, and am not sure if I'd pay more than that vs the Regal.

If you have a local fly shop, I'd recommend seeing if you could try out various vises.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Stonfo is another solid choice.

Lowparts
Dec 23, 2015
Thanks you two. I have a Stonfo bobbin and was impressed by it's quality. How is the vice compared to the two above?

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Lowparts posted:

Thanks you two. I have a Stonfo bobbin and was impressed by it's quality. How is the vice compared to the two above?

I use the Stonfo travel vise. It’s extremely dependable and does exactly what I need it to do in a very small and compact space. It’s the clamp style, so there’s no spring. You dial everything in with the adjustment nut, and then clamp down on the hook. It’s a smaller vise with nymph tips, so it’s perfect for what I tend to tie up for fishing out here in CO (less streamers, more size 22-14 dries/nymphs). It was a steal for the price, and it’s also easy to fold up and take with me when I’m traveling to fish. The only downside is that as a smaller vise, tying streamers at size 8 can be cumbersome because the materials can obscure the smaller vise.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Someone's new year resolution was tying their own flies, guaranteed. Let's see it!

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
my new year's resolution was i went to a fly shop that had a $5 thing of mystery flies and apparently i was the only person who had ever bought one that wasn't smart enough to hold it up to the light to see if i could get a good idea of which flies were in the lil mystery tub. the important thing is that it wasn't all zebra midges, and the other important thing is that the fly shop had that orvis case that you can use to pre-tie a bunch of double droppers. The guy even joked with me that the best place to tie up flies was on your couch the night before, as far away from the water conditions as possible. Just throw a hares ear with a zebra nymph on the end, how hard could it be??

At some point this year I would like to learn how to tie a bead head prince nymph, though, so if you guys have a video you like that helps me do that i'd be much obliged

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Stalizard posted:

my new year's resolution was i went to a fly shop that had a $5 thing of mystery flies and apparently i was the only person who had ever bought one that wasn't smart enough to hold it up to the light to see if i could get a good idea of which flies were in the lil mystery tub. the important thing is that it wasn't all zebra midges, and the other important thing is that the fly shop had that orvis case that you can use to pre-tie a bunch of double droppers. The guy even joked with me that the best place to tie up flies was on your couch the night before, as far away from the water conditions as possible. Just throw a hares ear with a zebra nymph on the end, how hard could it be??

At some point this year I would like to learn how to tie a bead head prince nymph, though, so if you guys have a video you like that helps me do that i'd be much obliged

Charlie Craven is my go to for fly tying videos (and books). Here’s a prince nymph:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26Cr_kp0ZbQ

This fly is also in his beginner book, which I highly recommend.