Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Scarf posted:

Eh, that'd be a harder argument next year. Clemson's resume should look a bit stronger.

- Away game at ND.
- If Mack can keep it rolling in his 2nd year, UNC should be an 8-9 win team and will be a strong contender for the Coastal. Possible loss to UCF and Auburn to start the year, but should roll after that. They avoid Clemson in the regular season, but should have a positive effect on the ACC.
- VT managed to keep Fuente, and they showed pretty good signs of life at the end of the season. Again, overall positive effect on the ACC.
- Not sure if Bryce Perkins is returning to UVA or not... TBD on that one.
- Hopefully Dino Babers has a better (or improved) QB for 2020.

A lot will depend on some relatively new (and brand new) coaches... Again, UNC needs to show continued improvement. Miami and GT need to show ANY improvement. And Norvell needs some promising moments at FSU.

I know this was written as a defense of Clemson's schedule, but holy poo poo this is grim.

There are precisely 1.5 teams with a pulse on your schedule. 1 is ND, 0.5 is Louisville (post-arrest bradycardia post-Satterfield defib - touch and go atm).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

LeeMajors posted:

I know this was written as a defense of Clemson's schedule, but holy poo poo this is grim.

There are precisely 1.5 teams with a pulse on your schedule. 1 is ND, 0.5 is Louisville (post-arrest bradycardia post-Satterfield defib - touch and go atm).

Schedule, I agree. Overall conference... like I said, I feel like there are a few others that should have a good season.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

louisville is gonna be good next year; i think they could win 9 games and go to a decent bowl

they’re bringing back a lot of the offense including javian hawkins (who was phenomenal and is still a freshman) and i don’t think the acc is going to turn around that quickly

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Boobee Whitlow entered the transfer portal. Auburn has a big influx of RBs between recruits and redshirts; Boobee would probably still be the leading rusher among like four guys splitting carries next year but he's also good enough to be the feature back a lot of other places and wants to be that. Best of luck to him, we'll probably be alright.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

MourningView posted:

UNC opens with UCF, Auburn, and James Madison OOC so they have a good chance of crashing hard out of the gate, though it lightens up a lot from there with UConn and a really soft conference schedule

Who made this OOC schedule and why is he still employed?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Are we sure Heupel isn’t going to run UCF into the ground? He sucked enough to get fired as OC from his alma mater, are we to believe he’s all better now?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

General Dog posted:

Are we sure Heupel isn’t going to run UCF into the ground? He sucked enough to get fired as OC from his alma mater, are we to believe he’s all better now?

He was a good OC at Mizzou and they immediately went to poo poo when he left. His UCF teams have been good so far, especially on offense. Even this year in a "down season" they won 10 games with a true freshman QB (who looks like he's going to be really good) and that was despite being one of the unluckiest teams in the country

MourningView fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 8, 2020

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Don’t know if anyone mentioned this yet, but NC A&T has left the MEAC for the Big South. If true, it’s Big news for the FCS. I’d love for an HCBU to be the one to bring down the white-as-hell NDSU Bison (in addition to 2017-8 JMU, of course).

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Wtf that's horseshit

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
gently caress you aggies

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Cnidario posted:

Don’t know if anyone mentioned this yet, but NC A&T has left the MEAC for the Big South. If true, it’s Big news for the FCS. I’d love for an HCBU to be the one to bring down the white-as-hell NDSU Bison (in addition to 2017-8 JMU, of course).

NCA&T have conquered the Celebration Bowl and won't rest until they've tasted Bison Blood

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
NDSU has a black QB now, haters.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

MourningView posted:

NDSU has a black QB now, haters.

for another two years, maybe. he is way too good to not declare early, even from the FCS

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Alaois posted:

for another two years, maybe. he is way too good to not declare early, even from the FCS

Yeah he's unreal, I am extremely angry we let him wind up in FCS even though that's a way better place to be as a QB and we'd have probably turned him into a safety

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

MourningView posted:

Yeah he's unreal, I am extremely angry we let him wind up in FCS even though that's a way better place to be as a QB and we'd have probably turned him into a safety

i was actually just curious and looked up who offered him coming out of high school

NDSU, Boise State, Brown, Cornell and Northern Illinois.

He's from Minnesota.

the Big 10 deserve all of the horrible QBs they recruit

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

MourningView posted:

When did you hire Mack Brown? poo poo, must've missed it.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Alaois posted:

i was actually just curious and looked up who offered him coming out of high school

NDSU, Boise State, Brown, Cornell and Northern Illinois.

He's from Minnesota.

the Big 10 deserve all of the horrible QBs they recruit

I have seen a couple people say Iowa kicked the tires very late in the process but by that point he was already too committed to NDSU and mad that it had taken so long, but I don't know if that's true. That's definitely what happened with Boise who called him like literally the day before early signing day and told him that if he didn't sign with NDSU then they'd offer him.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Feb 8, 2020

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

MourningView posted:

I have seen a couple people say Iowa kicked the tires very late in the process but by that point he was already too committed to NDSU and mad that it had taken so long, but I don't know if that's true. That's definitely what happened with Boise who called him like literally the day before early signing day and told him that if he didn't sign with NDSU that they'd offer him

the funny thing in his recruit tracker dealio he went to UMinnesota camps and visited like 3 times and they didn't even offer him lmao

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Alaois posted:

the funny thing in his recruit tracker dealio he went to UMinnesota camps and visited like 3 times and they didn't even offer him lmao

Yeah I seem to remember at the time people were mad at Fleck for ignoring him and some other Minnesota kids because he was focusing on recruiting the south instead.

LeeMajors posted:

When did you hire Mack Brown? poo poo, must've missed it.

Every four years or so we sign a dual threat, I get visions of Brad Banks and get very excited, and then inevitably he winds up changing positions like a year later. Although sometimes it's Marvin McNutt and it turns out pretty well (or AJ Derby who transferred but would have been a first rounder if he'd stayed and changed positions like they wanted)

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Who made this OOC schedule and why is he still employed?
UNC loves scheduling a strong team to open the season and by gum they will win one of these some year.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The dumbest part of it is James Madison, a team who you will get zero credit for beating that could absolutely kick your rear end.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

The schedule is why I think UNC doesn't win the coastal this year. It's brutal both OOC, bye week spot, and their away/home splits.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

MourningView posted:

The dumbest part of it is James Madison, a team who you will get zero credit for beating that could absolutely kick your rear end.

i dunno how far in advance it was scheduled but it makes sense for recruiting nova/maryland/dc kids

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dilber posted:

The schedule is why I think UNC doesn't win the coastal this year. It's brutal both OOC, bye week spot, and their away/home splits.

Their conference schedule is pretty easy because that division is doo doo unless VT and Miami bounce back in a big way

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Marcus vick is coming back to lead Vt to the ACC title

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Declan MacManus posted:

i dunno how far in advance it was scheduled but it makes sense for recruiting nova/maryland/dc kids

5 years in advance or no, James Madison is an FCS team that is always, always good and has some notable FBS scalps to its name, They beat VT, in what, 2013?

Go beatup Richmond if you want a recruiting trip

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Also the game is at UNC lol. Unless you think DC kids can't get enough FCS football and are gathering around their computers watching Colonial games on ESPN3 every week

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

MourningView posted:

Also the game is at UNC lol. Unless you think DC kids can't get enough FCS football and are gathering around their computers watching Colonial games on ESPN3 every week

oh yeah? dang that is loving stupid

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

MourningView posted:

Their conference schedule is pretty easy because that division is doo doo unless VT and Miami bounce back in a big way

We really should bounce back big this year and if we don't the program is cursed.

Can't do much more than we did to upgrade our offense and special teams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

5 years in advance or no, James Madison is an FCS team that is always, always good and has some notable FBS scalps to its name, They beat VT, in what, 2013?

Go beatup Richmond if you want a recruiting trip

It’s funny to think that, before our first title in 2004, folks went to JMU football games to watch the marching band.