Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ghost Dog posted:

london fletcher is the exact same player as brian urlacher except he didnt play mlb for the bears so wont get in

Urlacher was legitimately great for 3ish? seasons, then he had an injury and lost his speed and was never the same guy.

Of course, everyone kept talking about him as if he were the same guy for the rest of his career which understandably annoyed the hell out of most of us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The 5-man limit is what really makes this voting process weird. Basically the debate is less about each player's merits, and more about the committee trying to strategize and clear up logjams. I can totally see them having a conversation this week like "okay, if we think Steve Atwater is worthy, then let's loving get him in and John Lynch can wait another year." And they repeat this "[X] can wait till next year" mindset every year until suddenly you've got no-brainers like Cris Carter and Andre Reed having to wait a half-decade to get in.

I'm fairly confident that today's biggest "snubs" will eventually get in, but as long as that strict limit exists, it's hard to make headway. It's very different from, say, the Baseball Hall of Fame committee where massive voting blocs have a bug up their rear end -- we've seen more than a few voters who openly admit that they'd vote for everyone if they could.

Benne fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Feb 2, 2020

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I love Pop Dog's commitment to hating Brian Urlacher, please never stop

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Benne posted:

I'm fairly confident that today's biggest "snubs" will eventually get in, but as long as that strict limit exists, it's hard to make headway. It's very different from, say, the Baseball Hall of Fame committee where massive voting blocs have a bug up their rear end -- we've seen more than a few voters who openly admit that they'd vote for everyone if they could.

I’m not sure it’s as insane as baseball’s nonsense, but there’s definitely some back room crap with the football voters. Two always stood out to me, from interviews about 10 or 15 years ago. One was that there was a very strong pro-Steelers group among the voters or whoever influenced them. The other was you definitely get voters who did whatever they could with their power to keep out players they didn’t like, with Paul Zimmerman once saying something like Ken Stabler would only get in over his dead body.

Of course, I’ve admitted every time I’m a big hall guy, so I’d want them to increase the size of the annual class and remember more cool dudes.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Benne posted:

I guess the O-linemen splitting votes was the best thing to happen for Edge

I'm pretty sure they work together on votes. For example wide receivers have for a long time gotten voted in in the order they became eligible. Holt will almost certainly go before Wayne does.

It was time for Edge. He was a finalist FIVE times. Not sure why you referred to him earlier as a "filler." He's extremely qualified.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 2, 2020

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

https://twitter.com/JimNagy_SB/status/1223960648050204672

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm glad San Francisco 49er Isaac Bruce is in the Hall.