Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

ROUND 13 - INVESTIGATOR PHASE

Rita aims to stop the ritual.

quote:

Picking out the details from the evidence you have gathered, you perform the counter ritual to the best of your ability. Test Lore. Evidence may be discarded to act as a Clue. (Lore: ) You recite the chant, and perform the motions. You feel a shift in the air of the room; the ritual draws closer to completion.

ROUND 13 - MYTHOS PHASE

quote:

Evil energies swirl in the air, sucking away light and hope. Place Darkness in each investigator's space, then each investigator suffers 2 facedown Horror (Will negates).

Rita:
Carson: A Clue is used.
William:
Preston:

Carson takes 1 facedown Horror.
Preston takes 1 facedown Horror.

quote:

The world around you begins to bleed together with the strange landscape beyond the rift. All over the property, cracks in the very fabric of reality begin spidering across the walls and floor, and an inhuman wail tears through the structure as a massive being of indescribable horror breaks through. A Star Spawn is, well, spawned!

quote:

The Star Spawn moves 1 towards the nearest investigator. Since it can't reach anyone, it moves an additional space, but is not in range for any Horror checks.

ROUND 14 - INVESTIGATOR PHASE

Action Queue
- Everyone: 2 actions.

MONSTERS
Library: Star Spawn (HP 14/14, Awareness 5, Horror 8, Brawn 5. Flying: Can pass through impassable terrain, but not walls.)

TOKENS
Study, Eugene: Eugene cowers by the writing desk. "Please! You must remove these ruffians from the estate!" (No Action.)
Dining Room, Left Search: A china cabinet has been repurposed to store all manner of knicknacks.
Hall End, North Explore: A weathered door stands at the end of the hall, cracked ajar. You hear bizarre noises from the other side.
Hall End, Item: King James Bible (Action: You or one investigator within range may discard one facedown Horror.)
Hall End, Item: Candles (Light Source. You may discard this card to convert all clue results to successes when casting a spell.)
Bell Tower, Item: Brass Knuckles (When attacking unarmed, roll 2 extra dice.)
Bell Tower, Item: Grotesque Stone (Evidence.)
Bell Tower, Interact: A circle of runes is carved into the wooden floor and adorned with various ritual objects. It was recently used to create a rift, but you think it could be used to reverse it by applying information you have gathered about the ritual, or by using your own occult knowledge. (Action: Perform the ritual.)

INVESTIGATORS
Rita Young (Circlmastr)
Strength 5, Agility 4, Observation 3, Lore 3, Influence 2, Will 4. 0 Clues. 4/9 Health. 4/5 Sanity.
You may move 1 additional space per Move action.
Elder Sign Pendant (Roll an additional die whenever evading a monster.)
Elder Ward (Roll an additional die whenever a monster attacks you.)

Carson Sinclair (berenzen)
Strength 3, Agility 2, Observation 5, Lore 4, Influence 4, Will 3. 2 Clues. 2/8 Health. 3/6 Sanity.
Action: Another investigator within range may perform 1 action. Activate this ability only once per round.
Whiskey (Action: Discard up to two facedown Horror, then flip this card.)
Instill Bravery (Spell. Action: You or one investigator within range discard one Horror. Then flip this card.)
Wither (Attack Spell. Ranged, 2 Damage.)
Focused (You may discard this card to convert all clue results to successes when performing a test.)
Brass Key
Incriminating Evidence (Evidence.)

William Yorick (Istvun)
Strength 4, Agility 3, Observation 4, Lore 3, Influence 3, Will 4. 6 Clues. 2/7 Health. 6/7 Sanity.
Whenever a Monster is defeated, gain 1 Clue.
Knife (Bladed Weapon, Damage 1, Melee.)
.38 Revolver (Firearm, Damage 3, Ranged.)
Broken Arm (Damage. Keep this card face up. If you ever have more than 2 Items, drop all but 2 of your Items.)

Preston Fairmont (Iron Chef Ramen)
Strength 4, Agility 4, Observation 3, Lore 2, Influence 5, Will 3. 3 Clues. 5/8 Health. 5/6 Sanity.
Once per round, when you gain an Item, you may flip 1 Horror card facedown or discard 1 facedown Horror card.
Kerosene Lantern (Light Source. You may discard this card to turn all clue results into successes when attacking unarmed.)
Medical Textbook (Action: You or one investigator within range may discard one facedown Damage.)
Lucky Cigarette Case (Once a round, you may convert a clue roll into a success.)
Lucky Rabbit's Foot (Once a round, you may reroll 1 die.)
Arcane Manuscript (Roll an extra die when resolving a Lore test.)
Old Journal (The journal of Lilith Vanderbilt. The pages are torn and frayed from hard use. You find nothing more of interest in its pages.)
Photographic Evidence (Evidence.)
Insane (Look at the back of this card, but do not reveal it to the other investigators. If you run out of Sanity, you are eliminated.)

Second Post | Learn To Play | Rules Reference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!
Move to the portal room, use the ritual. Make it rain with clues.
If anyone were to, say, use a trade action while in a space with me, happily give them whatever they want except for the medical textbook.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Double move to hall end east

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Pick up the Grotesque Stone, then action the ritual.

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

CirclMastr posted:

Pick up the Grotesque Stone, then action the ritual.

Also during that trade action to pick up the stone, maybe grab my manuscript and any items I haven't used for rerolls?

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Iron Chef Ramen posted:

Also during that trade action to pick up the stone, maybe grab my manuscript and any items I haven't used for rerolls?

Leery as I am that this may be bad for those of us not Insane, I'll go ahead and grab your:
  • Cigarette case
  • Rabbit's Foot
  • Arcane Manuscript
  • Photographic Evidence

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

It's okay buddy. I'm still on your side. I've just got to play it a bit safer.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat
I have one arm and too many clues to hold time to dump them all into the ritual

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

berenzen posted:

Double move to hall end east

Just checking this one - you get two spaces per move, so you could make it into the bell tower east if you'd like.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Apparently I cannot count, yes do that.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

ROUND 14 - INVESTIGATOR PHASE

Preston piles on in! What could go wrong?

quote:

:cthulhu: The text's the same, so let's do this. (Lore + Arcane Manuscript: Rabbit's Foot: )

Rita grabs the Statue from the floor, and everything but the Rabbit's Foot from Preston, then tries again.

quote:

(Lore + Arcane Manuscript: )
Carson hoofs it.

William double-taps the ritual.

quote:

(Lore: )

quote:

(Lore: )

:cthulhu: That's an Oof. At least there's something to be said for consistency...

ROUND 14 - MYTHOS PHASE

quote:

The portal eddies, and a dark projectile hurtles from it into Carson, knocking him off his feet. Carson suffers 3 Damage (Strength-1 negates). (Strength-1: ) Then, Carson becomes Dazed and Stunned.

Carson draws Grievous Injury: Suffer another facedown Damage. Flip this card over.
Carson draws a facedown Damage and becomes Wounded! He discards all Damage cards.
Carson draws Light-Headed: Flip a facedown Horror card. Flip this card over.
Carson flips Minor Shock: No effect. Flip this card over.

:cthulhu: Ah, the 'gently caress you'. At least Wounded hardly matters at this point.

quote:

The wind whipping through the portal begins pulling whole chunks of the mansion into the other world, the rooms tearing themselves away amidst the splintering and rotting of wood. Discard the Dining Room and Kitchen tiles and all tokens and cards on them. Any investigator who was on those tiles moves to the nearest space in the Lobby and suffers 4 Damage (Strength negates).

quote:

The Star Spawn moves 1 space towards the nearest investigator. As no investigators are in range, it moves another space.

ROUND 15 - INVESTIGATOR PHASE

Action Queue
- Carson: 1 action.
- Everyone else: 2 actions.

MONSTERS
Hall Corner: Star Spawn (HP 14/14, Awareness 5, Horror 8, Brawn 5. Flying: Can pass through impassable terrain, but not walls.)

TOKENS
Hall End, North Explore: A weathered door stands at the end of the hall, cracked ajar. You hear bizarre noises from the other side.
Hall End, Item: King James Bible (Action: You or one investigator within range may discard one facedown Horror.)
Hall End, Item: Candles (Light Source. You may discard this card to convert all clue results to successes when casting a spell.)
Bell Tower, Item: Brass Knuckles (When attacking unarmed, roll 2 extra dice.)
Bell Tower, Interact: A circle of runes is carved into the wooden floor and adorned with various ritual objects. It was recently used to create a rift, but you think it could be used to reverse it by applying information you have gathered about the ritual, or by using your own occult knowledge. (Action: Perform the ritual.)

INVESTIGATORS
Rita Young (Circlmastr)
Strength 5, Agility 4, Observation 3, Lore 3, Influence 2, Will 4. 0 Clues. 4/9 Health. 4/5 Sanity.
You may move 1 additional space per Move action.
Elder Sign Pendant (Roll an additional die whenever evading a monster.)
Elder Ward (Roll an additional die whenever a monster attacks you.)
Lucky Cigarette Case (Once a round, you may convert a clue roll into a success.)
Arcane Manuscript (Roll an extra die when resolving a Lore test.)
Photographic Evidence (Evidence.)
Grotesque Stone (Evidence.)

Carson Sinclair (berenzen)
Strength 3, Agility 2, Observation 5, Lore 4, Influence 4, Will 3. 2 Clues. 7/8 Health (Wounded). 3/6 Sanity.
Action: Another investigator within range may perform 1 action. Activate this ability only once per round.
Whiskey (Action: Discard up to two facedown Horror, then flip this card.)
Instill Bravery (Spell. Action: You or one investigator within range discard one Horror. Then flip this card.)
Wither (Attack Spell. Ranged, 2 Damage.)
Wounded (You may not move twice on your turn. If you run out of Health, you are eliminated.)
Focused (You may discard this card to convert all clue results to successes when performing a test.)
Dazed (You may not spend clues to convert results to successes or to gain extra puzzle steps. Discard this card at the end of your turn.)
Stunned (You may only take one action on your turn. Discard this card at the end of your turn.)
Brass Key
Incriminating Evidence (Evidence.)

William Yorick (Istvun)
Strength 4, Agility 3, Observation 4, Lore 3, Influence 3, Will 4. 6 Clues. 2/7 Health. 6/7 Sanity.
Whenever a Monster is defeated, gain 1 Clue.
Knife (Bladed Weapon, Damage 1, Melee.)
.38 Revolver (Firearm, Damage 3, Ranged.)
Broken Arm (Damage. Keep this card face up. If you ever have more than 2 Items, drop all but 2 of your Items.)

Preston Fairmont (Iron Chef Ramen)
Strength 4, Agility 4, Observation 3, Lore 2, Influence 5, Will 3. 3 Clues. 5/8 Health. 5/6 Sanity (Insane).
Once per round, when you gain an Item, you may flip 1 Horror card facedown or discard 1 facedown Horror card.
Kerosene Lantern (Light Source. You may discard this card to turn all clue results into successes when attacking unarmed.)
Medical Textbook (Action: You or one investigator within range may discard one facedown Damage.)
Lucky Rabbit's Foot (Once a round, you may reroll 1 die.)
Old Journal (The journal of Lilith Vanderbilt. The pages are torn and frayed from hard use. You find nothing more of interest in its pages.)
Insane (Look at the back of this card, but do not reveal it to the other investigators. If you run out of Sanity, you are eliminated.)

Second Post | Learn To Play | Rules Reference

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

RIP Eugene.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Ritual twice.

I really hope it's a cumulative check and not just a stupidly high difficulty check.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

CirclMastr posted:

Ritual twice.

I really hope it's a cumulative check and not just a stupidly high difficulty check.
^

I think I've suddenly remembered the problem with arkham games

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

It's cumulative: every time you do the check and get a success, the text is 'the ritual is closer to completion'.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

I think, aside from myself (and I can't get there and ritual), rita is the best option to ritual, so I will give her an action.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 15, 2020

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

berenzen posted:

I think, aside from myself (and I can't get there and ritual), rita is the best option to ritual, so I will give her an action.

Which she will use to ritual a third time.

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

Ritual twice. Use all the clues.

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

ROUND 15 - INVESTIGATOR PHASE

Rita rituals up.

quote:

(Lore + Arcane Manuscript: ) The Grotesque Stone is discarded.

quote:

(Lore + Arcane Manuscript: )

quote:

(Lore + Arcane Manuscript: ) The Photographic Evidence is discarded. The Cigarette Case is used.

quote:

With a final shout, you have completed all the necessary actions and chants. You speak the eldritch words - and as you complete the counter ritual energy surges forth from the rift, tearing through the ritual circle. Before your eyes, the space around you seems to knit itself together, walls and surfaces rebuilding themselves in instants. Then it all fades, and an eerie quiet falls over the mansion. It is over.

"A meteor," the official story says, "ironically struck the home of amateur astronomer William Vanderbilt." You alone know the truth of what happened that night, but who would ever believe you?

Investigators win!
Preston reveals Selfish Motives: You do not win the game as normal. Instead, you win the game if the investigation is complete and you are not Wounded. Preston wins!

:cthulhu: Thanks to my players! As a test run, this went pretty smooth all told. Laid out in text, the intro scenario is definitely a bit bare bones, and the final check is kind of eh to do in text - it's a bit snappier when the turns go faster, and I thought the mansion was supposed to start disappearing much earlier - but despite all the transcribing it was a fun game to run.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I'm actually kind of tempted to roll straight on to Escape From Innsmouth, which is significantly nastier difficulty and won't just let you hoover up every search token.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Assuming we don't literally go straight in, injuries and all, then I'm completely down for it.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
I think I'd be out for the next session

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

I'd be down for another game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas