Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Just stop while you are ahead and watch the original on amazon uk. If you can watch this one, then you are only a step or two from the other. Do you have a VPN account somewhere? If not, get one on a trial basis, change your location to the UK, log into amazon there with your US account, and watch the good one. Then never watch the US one ever and use that time to do anything else, like stare at a wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer
I think this scene sums up the original Utopia quite well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhPTUog6DWc

Edit: And I think you can't even consider this a spoiler.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

dogboy posted:

I think this scene sums up the original Utopia quite well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhPTUog6DWc

Edit: And I think you can't even consider this a spoiler.

This is such a great scene. It does contain a spoiler for season two but it's not a big deal. If I were trying to convince someone to watch this show, this scene would be a good choice to show them. It captures everything.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Waltzing Along posted:

Just stop while you are ahead and watch the original on amazon uk. If you can watch this one, then you are only a step or two from the other. Do you have a VPN account somewhere? If not, get one on a trial basis, change your location to the UK, log into amazon there with your US account, and watch the good one. Then never watch the US one ever and use that time to do anything else, like stare at a wall.

Agreed. That one review linked last page summed it up. Poorly done sloppy show. I wanted to like it but there are far better shows around. Even about a virus apocalypse. If you really want an American show that involves the coming apocalypse check out 12 Monkeys. drat fine show. I will thank Utopia US for exposing me to “Survive” by Chelsea Wolfe. Heard It before somewhere but this show got me to buy her album. Thanks Utopia Murrica

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
I couldn't get over the end of episode 2. That was cold blooded and unforgivable. It's the kind of thing that's earns a bad guy a grisly death, let alone a protagonist. I stopped giving a poo poo about that character and their motivations and well being at that point, which is bad because of their significance.

Just watch the uk version

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's funny reading this page, because the exact reason I looked this thread up was to see if I should just ditch this half way through and start the UK one. The concept is very entertaining, but the writing and cast are awful. The trailer I watched for the original version looked way more my speed.

More than anything Jessica Hyde is just thoroughly despisable. I have absolutely zero sympathy for her or interest in her as a hero, villain, whatever the gently caress she is supposed to be. I do not care about her plight at all. And Shia Laboofs girlfriend is a lovely actress. The bad guys are also complete rear end. Actually everyone is.

Waltzing Along posted:

They don't need to do that (at least if they are in the US) The Original show is on US Prime.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Nov 7, 2020

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

veni veni veni posted:

They don't need to do that (at least if they are in the US) The Original show is on US Prime.

Amazon has produced the most elaborate and expensive promo for an existing, dead property in history.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Watched 2 eps and it is light years beyond the awful Amazon show. I'm actually kind of pissed I watched 4 episodes of the the US one. I feel like it slightly tainted a better show for me. Oh well, Thankfully they don't have that much in common.

Definitely enjoying that the characters aren't all complete idiots, Jessica Hyde in not psychopathic feral child, the cast can actually act and it's a lot more stylish to boot.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Yup, you basically saw how not to adapt something, so at least there's that. Kinda lol that they put the UK version up on us amazon, enough people must have said something. Tempting to watch the open matte season 2..hmmmm

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

veni veni veni posted:

It wasn't when I made that post. :p

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
yeah i dont know how i feel about this US edit of utopia UK

here's the open matte of s2e1 on amazon

you get more image on the left and right, at the expense of losing out on the 70s TV matte wtf

as it aired

so kind of a bummer for ep 1, but the rest of the season it might be kinda cool. season 1 is just a crop to 16:9 from the wider aspect so no point in even bothering with that comparison

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It aired in 4:3, or did you just have a 4:3 TV at the time?

I've only ever seen it in widescreen and I watched it soon after S2 finished. I'm not sure if the copies I watched were blu-ray rips or not, though.

E: just looked it up and it has always been 16:9 so I'm very confused about your post.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 8, 2020

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Waltzing Along posted:

I've only ever seen it in widescreen and I watched it soon after S2 finished. I'm not sure if the copies I watched were blu-ray rips or not, though.

the first episode of series 2 is mostly in if not all in 4:3 stylistically for story reasons, and then it goes back to 2:35 widescreen.

they made a version for american markets where they did what they did to make HD Seinfeld in 16:9, they removed the aspect matting so now you see more of the image as it was recorded, at the expense of cropping the top/bottom of the frame as you can see in the example.

so amazon has series 2 in a less widescreen aspect then it was intended to be shown or how it aired in the UK..hence they totally hosed over the stylistic choice of the first episode..but, you are seeing more of the image then you were never meant to see..
something tells me they weren't sloppy and you won't see film equipment or anything beyond what would have been where the left and right of the frame should stop

open matte is interesting, but not always the best for a first time watch of something, considering its not what you're meant to watch it as...

season one is just a cropped image of the wider frame so you just lose a ton of the visuals

i guess they (utopia's production company) thought the american market version would do poorly in its intended cinematic aspect as americans would go I HATE THEM BLACK BARS like we're all idiots

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Waltzing Along posted:

E: just looked it up and it has always been 16:9 so I'm very confused about your post.

if you saw series 2 ep 1 in widescreen then you saw it cropped, it's intended to be 4:3

the entire ep is how the network started in flashback format, hence its shown as a round tube 4:3 thing to sell the 1960-1970s timeframe, i thought it was a cool thing..i think you might have watched utopia in 16:9 instead of wider as it was shot

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Nov 8, 2020

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Ah, the flashback episode. I misread your first post and thought you wrote s1e2. Yeah, that is weird that they would "fix" it.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Waltzing Along posted:

Ah, the flashback episode. I misread your first post and thought you wrote s1e2. Yeah, that is weird that they would "fix" it.

there's a post from the editor on a reddit about it, the reason is what i paraphrased..they also cut the little kid part out of the opening of s1e1 but not for censorship,. just for time..its interesting it got a different edit for america, i guess the 25 to 24fps conversion required some stuff to sell for broadcast

to clarify that edit is whats on amazon, and cropped to boot...but at least its available easily

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 8, 2020

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Waltzing Along posted:

this one is on utopias production co, amazon just streams what they bought. i feel like its worth owning that 2 series euro blu ray though, this show is one that is worth owning properly if you get the chance

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
also my fav 2 examples of changing the aspect for blu ray/HD down the line-

x files, they didn't switch over to 16:9 till late in the show so when you watch the blu rays that crop top/bottom but open up the sides you notice every composition is all centered in the middle of the frame and it gives it this extra surreal vibe..obviously when they change over 9 seasons in it looks natural in 16:9 but it cracks me up when you start to notice it in 1-8

buffy, ive only heard legends but theyd use the left and right edges to hide puppeteers of the demons and poo poo or actors feeding dialogue lines for single shots..just pure comedy gold

famous childhood ruining one on the film side:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iD-UoBg-YU

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Nov 8, 2020

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Annnnnd utopia is canceled.

That was fast

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
That's a genuine shame, I really enjoyed it.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

We didn't get a British series three because of this bullshit.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Now that the British version is on Prime, maybe people will realize how superior it is and someone will make a third season of that one lol

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Pretty sure it was cancelled because viewing figures were genuinely horrible.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

But we also didn't get an American season two

A real wash

Bonus, utopia UK became available on prime without a VPN which is what most of us wanted anyway so not a total loss yeah?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I was really looking forward to them explaining why the death of a translator they hired off fiver hits harder than their their friend and leader.